Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home made Old Han, Chewie & Chewie Mods

Re: Home made Old Han Solo TFA WIP Using bits To Save Cash..

Sort of a "chicken and the egg" situation but they may have actually used one of these air soft guns in the films by Armourer Works:

The bright colours are because of the RIF ban and need for a UKARA license but all the good quality as guns like above are made of metal with full blowback (recoil effect due to working slide mechanism that uses some of the gas like a real steel(RS) firearm to cycle the gun), full auto options on those that would have it in RS, completely field strippable and sold in the RS colours infact you have to pay extra for the bright colours if you don't have a UKARA license. Airguns i.e. steel and lead shooters for hunting and competition etc.. have all these features too but are far more powerful, can kill and are classified as firearms but you don't need a license under 12ftlbs for rifles and 6ftlbs for pistols, full auto is illegal though.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Looks likely. I was hoping that the scope was off another weapon so you could source one. Still could I suppose.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Looks likely. I was hoping that the scope was off another weapon so you could source one. Still could I suppose.

CHEERS!
    I can't swear to it but I think the scope is from WW2 Mauser (on the OT hero prop) g43 sniper rifle and is a ZF4 model scope:

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

See if DML or somebody made one.

CHEERS!

See if DML or somebody made one.

CHEERS!
    I'm sure they did but probably rare, I might even have one, would be easier to just make one though.
    The other Han hs arrived today as did the TFA Chewbacca with his gear. Had to do a body swap for ESB Han (due to neck issues) using a body I'd weirdly used on my custom Hoth Luke, way too tall for him! LOL. Going to give him a short Darth Maul one instead. Still had to make a new neck for the ESB Han though and mod wrist pegs etc..
    The HT Chewbacca is fine, no blue eyes though, they're more a dark grey which is a bit disappointing, the moving mouth feature is a bit pointless, the bandoleer and bow are really nicely done and he can hold the bow fine with just his relaxed palms which saved me about 20gbp. Reworking my old scratch built one's face a bit and gave him a clean too, need to make him a new nose.

My custom Chewy's filthy and need of work in these next few pics

Finished redoing my Chewy's head etc.. Not perfect but neither is HT's, better than it was though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle Munkey View Post
    Looks like a ZF4 to me on a K43 or G43, would take a while to get here lol. Nice find though!

Gave TFA Han some new hands for holding the bowcaster as the others were a bit dated. I also used the HT supplied comb to futz with their Chewbacca and made a bandage for him, gave him a thermal detonator too but will paint it more movie accurate later. Think I got the HT Chewbacca looking better, less like a puppy and more like a wookie! Hair looks a bit too straight now but with the humidity we've been having here I think it will naturally curl soon enough. Bloody weather, can't stand summers..

I'd get a body like Old Man Han for the ESB one, ESB looks a bit neckless. I have seen how to's for redoing TFA Chewie's face, if you're careful I reckon you could do it. Oddly, the underskull looks like the 1933 King Kong's.

CHEERS!

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

I have a cheapo model kit G43 you could salvage scope from

I'd get a body like Old Man Han for the ESB one, ESB looks a bit neckless. I have seen how to's for redoing TFA Chewie's face, if you're careful I reckon you could do it. Oddly, the underskull looks like the 1933 King Kong's.

CHEERS!
    Funny you should say that, after finishing the ESB one I remembered that the TFA one comes with sculpted neck so I'll be swapping them anyway, yeah looks a bit hunched due to the neck mods which actually involved an extension on the body's complete neck so imagine how it would look without that!
    Any links to the HT TFA Chewy face mods? might help with my custom too. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    I have a cheapo model kit G43 you could salvage scope from
    Thanks jaz! No need really got a bag full of cheap toy guns I should be able to nick something off but if I get stuck I'll holler!

The mods were all on FB as far as I know. There is a thread on SSF:

Hot Toys MMS 375 The Force Awakens Ep VII Chewbacca - Custom Modifications

It's all I've got.

CHEERS!

The mods were all on FB as far as I know. There is a thread on SSF:

Hot Toys MMS 375 The Force Awakens Ep VII Chewbacca - Custom Modifications

CHEERS!
    Great link, thanks! Funny how I was thinking my custom one's upper lip might be too short (vertically) looking at the HT version but then it turns out the HT one's upper lip is long!!

Yeah, I still can't believe HT screwed him up so badly and then expected collectors to bend over and take it. I've seen pics of the KO head on SSF and it looks pretty good.

CHEERS!

Yeah, I still can't believe HT screwed him up so badly and then expected collectors to bend over and take it. I've seen pics of the KO head on SSF and it looks pretty good.

CHEERS!
    A KO head? Where can you get that?

I meant the KO Han head, sorry!

Got that 1/7 Disney Store Jyn earlier. Picked out the least wonky looking one. Undecided whether to leave the eyes stock and shade the face or go for a full repaint. The former could be less of a nightmare, getting her hair out of the way would be an ask. Oddly, though she does come with her baton and a blaster, she doesn't have hands with which she can properly hold either of them. The body is nice though, really pleased with the articulation.

Still, got to get the AT-ST out of the way first...

CHEERS!

Bummer thought there was a better KO Chewie hs out there! I would have ordered 2! Surprised you didn't get Krennic since he's perfectly 1/6. Can't remember which hands Jyn comes with, 2 relaxed, 1 trigger finger and 1 gripping hand I think, The baton opens at the side to create a tonfa which might help her hold it.

I wouldn't have minded a Krennic, but he didn't present much of a challenge. I haven't done that many femfigs and for £10 I couldn't turn her down.

CHEERS!

I wouldn't have minded a Krennic, but he didn't present much of a challenge. I haven't done that many femfigs and for £10 I couldn't turn her down.

CHEERS!
    Well as you know I have her and I'm planning on upscaling her to 1/6 like with the Rey figure but you've dismissed any 1/6 hs I've found that might work so she's still in the "to do" pile, rather surprised you bought her actually considering...

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Well as you know I have her and I'm planning on upscaling her to 1/6 like with the Rey figure but you've dismissed any 1/6 hs I've found that might work so she's still in the "to do" pile, rather surprised you bought her actually considering...
    The hasbro Titan hero series Jyn head has an accurate face sculpt but absulutely horrid paint. The head scarf is also sculpted on. With a good repaint it would work well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    The hasbro Titan hero series Jyn head has an accurate face sculpt but absulutely horrid paint. The head scarf is also sculpted on. With a good repaint it would work well enough.
    Yeah I've heard that before on the Rey thread of mine, I think it was you who mentioned it actually. I just don't have the confidence in painting female sculpts, I still have a nice slave Leia cast unpainted because I'm worried I'll muck it up! LOL.

Yeah I've heard that before on the Rey thread of mine, I think it was you who mentioned it actually. I just don't have the confidence in painting female sculpts, I still have a nice slave Leia cast unpainted because I'm worried I'll muck it up! LOL.
    I am exactly the same. I have loads of stuff just waiting for me to become a decent painter. It'll be a while...

I fancied something different and I thought, being 1/7, she'd be a fun stand alone. As for your Jyn I expect there'll be a KO of the HT head when the figure comes out.

CHEERS!

I fancied something different and I thought, being 1/7, she'd be a fun stand alone. As for your Jyn I expect there'll be a KO of the HT head when the figure comes out.

CHEERS!
    Talking of KO heads, my old Han just arrived, looks great to me but he comes with literally golden hair! I wonder if that's a pisstake on the fact that he got paid so much more? Estimated to be from 10-34 million dollars! To put that in perspective, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill were paid 1.5 million each, Daisy and Boega 0.2 million each. So I'll need to repaint the hair otherwise he looks great to me, have to swap the bodies over too...

Mmm, the gold hair is a bit jarring. Nothing a repaint can't fix though. The rest looks good.

CHEERS!

I can't swear to it but I think the scope is from WW2 Mauser (on the OT hero prop) g43 sniper rifle and is a ZF4 model scope:

I seem to remember that the scope used for the blaster was from a WWII tank - or was that in relation to anE-11.. hmm.

edit: yep, for the stormie blaster.
    "It´s been a while since I done had me some roadkill in my belly" (SKETTI)

Quote Originally Posted by renesw View Post
    I seem to remember that the scope used for the blaster was from a WWII tank - or was that in relation to anE-11.. hmm.

edit: yep, for the stormie blaster.
    Well the ZF4 isn't an exact match either so could just be a modded cheap scope from the 1970's although the increment turrets/knobs are definitely WW2 inspired.

Finished Old Han and ESB Han just now, did the body swap, made a custom peg system for the ESB hs as it needed to be very long as the socket is right at the top of his head. The salt and pepper hair on Old Han was a pain to do, so many washes, 0.000 brush line painting, dry brushing etc.. Didn't help that the sculpted hair seems wrong as it's far too wavy and thick but did what I could at my paint skill level, looks good on the shelf which is the important thing .

Re: Home made Old Han Solo TFA Done W/ ESB Han

Looking good! The best solution I found for Kit's heads is to take out the bucket that the peg sits in, bung a wad of blu tack into the neck and slide the bucket back in till the sit is just right. Saves any pegs and you don't want to run short of those.

Give Old Han's jacket a shot of Dullcote, it's looking a wee bit shiny there.

CHEERS!