Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why we love Dragon

Re: Why we love Dragon

They are still unsurpased in terms of quantity, the subject they made and the gear.... From kettenkrads to mines, to US howitzers, from Shermans to some French /Italian soldiers...

Yes, today Did May be better in terms of clothing /fitting, but DML had by far the broadest line of any manufacturer

as promised here are a few of the Master's Dragon repaints....

Cya,
    Hankster
    Last edited by HDHSVI; 05-18-2017 at 19:59.
    Jupiter, Fla

[QUOTE=HDHSVI;4796251]as promised here are a few of the Master's Dragon repaints....

I love all of them .Masterful repainted.

This is one of DML's very, very early headsculpts, one of the first 40 or so figures that DML produced...

70021 - Sgt. Dave Kowalski 1st Infantry Division, 'The Big Red One', Normandy 1944. Headsculpt number 37!

The ones we all like to think of as being very basic with head sculpts that are not up to todays standards in sculpting..... and yet, with the original paint stripped and a good repaint it's as good as anything you're likely see anywhere else...

"I really thought I'd be an Action Figure by now!"

Quote Originally Posted by pieter schlegel View Post
    This is one of DML's very, very early headsculpts, one of the first 40 or so figures that DML produced...

70021 - Sgt. Dave Kowalski 1st Infantry Division, 'The Big Red One', Normandy 1944. Headsculpt number 37!

The ones we all like to think of as being very basic with head sculpts that are not up to todays standards in sculpting..... and yet, with the original paint stripped and a good repaint it's as good as anything you're likely see anywhere else...

Pete

Being one of the "older" collectors you I'm sure remember this was the repaint that hit like a bomb, I know for myself it's the one where I just realized :
    Ya mean I can make a figures look like that! It started me down the path I've been on ever since.

Cya
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

Boot25's masterful repainting of Dragon/DML head-sculpts notably raised the bar high and set the benchmark for all
    the current manufacturer's to emulate and follow suit.

I'm so happy when Boot25 purchased my custom made bomber harness...sorry for the shameless plug!

Last edited by AV8TORJoe; 05-19-2017 at 10:40.
    "Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime". Galland

Being one of the "older" collectors you I'm sure remember this was the repaint that hit like a bomb, I know for myself it's the one where I just realized :
    Ya mean I can make a figures look like that! It started me down the path I've been on ever since.
    Hank,

I certainly do remember and it's why I fished this one out of the line-up that you posted (there's not too many of us older gnarly dudes still around!!!). Man I still remember when Boot25 came on with his thread about stripping the original paint job and alerting us all to the fact that under all that paint there was really great detailed heads....it just wowed us all. If you think DiD do great paint jobs today then thank Boot25, he really started the ball rolling on that and inspired everyone to think about better paint jobs on the headsculpts. Like everything in this hobby it starts with the hobbyists themselves and then feeds back into manufacturing.

Scott Crawford, who did DML's R&D was a big GI Joe collector who sculpted his own heads and sold some to his own friends. It was this emerging trend amongst collectors to have a range of HS in their collections that inspired first Hasbro and then 21st Century to offer several different heads on their figures. When DML decided to get into 1/6th game they went straight to Scott Crawford and hired him to do what he'd been doing as a hobby and from that point every figure released had a unique headsculpt and therefore a unique personality! Boot25 taught us not to fear the repaint and James Van Spronson (sp) taught us to use rabbit fur to add realistic hair to figures...i'm sure you remember that one Hank! I must dig out those old pics of John's and upload them somewhere!
    "I really thought I'd be an Action Figure by now!"

Pete I certainly do remember! I also remember having the conversation with Scott about "Dragon needs to buy thier boots from Newline miniatures " at DX05. His reply was an interesting conversation....

cya
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

Awesome repainted HS.

Jaime.