Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Rohirrim Wraith The Chosen Fur..It's Alive!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Bilbo & Pippin Finished

Most of them are recasts of the above, LOL!

Some SSC heads aren't bad when you strip off the factory paint.

Have fun with Merry

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Most of them are recasts of the above, LOL!

Some SSC heads aren't bad when you strip off the factory paint.

Have fun with MerryCHEERS!

Ah well, I'm only a mediocre hs sculptor at best and that's just doing aliens, monsters and plain ugly! Usually needing a starting point anyway like bits of other faces to guide me.
    I just noticed you can pull Merry's face right off! well that will help with lightening the colour of his skin! Looks like he was hung over Mount Doom a while . Done the elven scabbards except for a little silver touch up, you can see from Pippin on the regular SSC stand just how tiny these guys are!!

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Looks much more like Merry from the movie to me now since he wasn't sporting a Michael Bay movie tan.... Might do the same to Pippin but keep the stubble.

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Merry does look better. You can sometimes get neat effects when you strip paint off. I did it to a KO Jack Bauer head and what was left looked way better than anything I could have put on there so I left it. It actually looks better than what Enterbay did.

CHEERS!

aw man, great progress!

Stunningly nice work.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Merry does look better. You can sometimes get neat effects when you strip paint off. I did it to a KO Jack Bauer head and what was left looked way better than anything I could have put on there so I left it. It actually looks better than what Enterbay did.

CHEERS!
    Yes, less is more in this case

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle Munkey View Post
    aw man, great progress!
    Cheers PM!

Started playing with modding a waistcoat I painted for him and deciding on a shirt that might work, think it needs to be whiter though...Gave Pippin's bag some more detail, I will colour match it too.

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Stunningly nice work.
    Cheers dadrab!

Yup all coming along nicely.

CHEERS!

More or less got Merry done and think he's one of my favourites so far, changed the neck for a longer post but was well worth the extra work as he looked like a hunchback before! Just need to do his buttons give him his bag and a cape to match Pippin since they both look miserable I think they're best portrayed after Lothlorien, hence the elven capes. Ordered the more expensive serious looking Elijah Wood hs, better bloody work or I just wasted 20gbp on it that could have gone towards a shotgun part I want.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Merry Nearly Done

Nicee!
    Man, you make me feel incredibly lazy, I have so many projects on the go, haha

I think I'd look annoyed if I'd been viciously slashed to pieces and then crudely glued back together! LOL!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle Munkey View Post
    Nicee!
    Man, you make me feel incredibly lazy, I have so many projects on the go, haha
    We all do man! I'm up to my neck in unfinished stuff, not just 1/6, gun builds and model kits too!

I think I'd look annoyed if I'd been viciously slashed to pieces and then crudely glued back together! LOL!

CHEERS!
    LOL, he was just a head, what's he got to complain about? Then again Frankenstein's monster has never been portrayed as happy guy... well Young Frankenstein is an exception..

Frankenstein's monster was unhappy because everyone turned against him and Fritz tortured him. His intentions were good, he was just misunderstood.

Do you plan on adding Gollum to the ranks?

CHEERS!

CHEERS!
    Just what i thought,he does look miffed.Looking great as always mate.You really are a machine.

Frankenstein's monster was unhappy because everyone turned against him and Fritz tortured him. His intentions were good, he was just misunderstood.

Do you plan on adding Gollum to the ranks?

CHEERS!
    Don't remember Fritz, I remember Igor.

As for Gollum, I really want to but can't find a decent hs in 1/6 except the GG bust which is 45gbp and pretty lame to be honest, at least the pics aren't very flattering! Huh.. looks better here no idea why! LOL

Got the electronic 1/4 one which is great but might have to end up sculpting my own Gollum and Smeagol heads for 1/6.

Quote Originally Posted by Efbee View Post
    Just what i thought,he does look miffed.Looking great as always mate.You really are a machine.
    Cheers! A machine? I'm a real person honestly...

Painted and tidied up Pippin's (p) bag, then decided to take his face off to remove the dark paint as he is pale in the movie, looks more like p now. I then cut off p's neck post to extend it like m's (they take an 8mm balljoint in the hs's) but needed to drill and pin this one due to what I had available, added some subtle stubble shading to m. Decided to roll up their capes as I prefer the look of them as baggage than covering up all the nice tailored outfits and accessories. Painted and glued on buttons for m and made some beer foam/froth out of painted and sculpted furniture foam. They're both finished now leaving only Frodo who still hasn't got a head...

after removing some paint looks more like Billy Boyd to me..

trimmed off any loose threads

Both finished now:

Yay! Grishnakh parts just arrived as I was typing this post!

This is why I took the lazy route:

Front

Back

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Pippin&Merry Done,Orc Part

Think I need to darken p's hair with an ink wash and dry brush some highlights on m's... They look too flat and neutral to me now..

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Pippin&Merry Done,Orc Part

They look great, he looks to be saying "Leave it, he's not worth it!"

Qtips are so useful!

CHEERS!

They look great, he looks to be saying "Leave it, he's not worth it!"

Qtips are so useful!

CHEERS!
    LOL, yes he does! And they are!

Since I don't have a Frodo hs yet I think it's time to take a break from hobbits, I need a break from them and anyone following probably does too!
    So I've just started on Grishnakh as he seems like fun build and will fit in well with M&P. Had to cut out his mouth with teeth very carefully and will need to do a lot of dental work and facial sculpting as well a giving him pointed ears...

Dental work is fun! What I would do was to sculpt each individual tooth with Milliput, leave them all to cure, then I'd press them into gums also made of Milliput. You should give it a go.

CHEERS!

Dental work is fun! What I would do was to sculpt each individual tooth with Milliput, leave them all to cure, then I'd press them into gums also made of Milliput. You should give it a go.

CHEERS!
    I will if my first idea flops, planning to use the presculpted teeth shown in the pic but cut out separately and chosen as needed with these pics as a guide. Might use some artistic license on him and add some piercings as most of the other orcs seem to have body mods, as a captain you would have thought he would too as a sign of rank if nothing else.

other orcs

okay, this might be ott but cool!

and I really wish we'd seen this!!There's an orc ridding on top in a cockpit of sorts!

Whatever you do I'm sure it'll work out.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Cheers! A machine? I'm a real person honestly...
    I dunno,I reckon if you cut yourself there'd be an oil slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Efbee View Post
    I dunno,I reckon if you cut yourself there'd be an oil slick.
    I think I've cut myself enough times on the WIP threads that there has to be a pic or two showing it's very red! LOL. Can't be arsed to get much done today...too bloody hot!!! on the plus side the builders finally removed that ....ing generator from right outside my front door that's been going non stop for months now!

teeth and ears...

He's Earolas and Legolas now! Ouch! The teeth might work well though.

CHEERS!

He's Earolas and Legolas now! Ouch! The teeth might work well though.

CHEERS!
    LOL very droll sir! I'm thinking I could use them as extensions rather than just replacement ears as they are too short, I also have some long ears from the Green Goblin helmet that I cut up years ago to make a Sith Night. I can easily sculpt his ears but they would be very brittle so I want to try plastic ones first.

Keen to see your Orcs done, such great designs.

Attached a Legolas ear to see if it will work then dived into sculpting Green Stuff and cutting away unwanted bits, very carefully adding teeth with tweezers; getting there! I want to keep to Jackson's design but make him less "dirpy", less like an old man pervert and more like an orc pervert if that makes sense?

I'm working with multiple reference pics but this gives you a good idea

Last edited by shovelchop81; 05-26-2017 at 17:36.