Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Rohirrim Wraith The Chosen Fur..It's Alive!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Grishnakh Added

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    I do virtually the same thing, copy and paste the BBC directly to the thread with no probs just wish my mouse had enter on it!!
    I'm sure youre quite capable of googling it yourself, but just in case:
    4 Ways to Change and Customize Your Mouse Button Actions • Raymond.CC

Option 1 seems simple and functional.

Edit: I've no idea whether this small app will conflict with your mouse's software.

Get the technical stuff out of the way, and chop away!
    "Its been a while since I done had me some roadkill in my belly" (SKETTI)

Renesw: just installed Mouse Manager right now, we'll see if it works!

ooh! it does brilliant! Cheers mate!

Working on Bilbo's smoking jacket right now, took ages to find this tiny piece of 1/4 scale Han Solo Hoth winter coat diamond pattern material, it's the only scrap bit I have left so I need to be very careful how I use it! Painted it with black ink, also some Thor mail material I printed years ago that might work as a back up or gap filler. Got two Toybiz Frodo red wine coloured coats to play with, had to do a lot of unstitching, and thread picking as well as seam trimming so far; wish I had a BIC razor to remove some of the corduroy effect, might pick one up from the corner shop if they sell them. I'll make the jacket shorter with a hem and split tail panels. Need to paint Merry's vest yellow too.

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Looking good so far, very ingenious use of materials.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    ...very ingenious use of materials.
    To say the least.

We're not worthy...
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Looking good so far, very ingenious use of materials.

CHEERS!
    Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    To say the least.

We're not worthy...
    LOL, cheers guys! I'm only putting bits of scrap together as usual, nothing special.

Bloody mouse manager stopped working and I can't get it to reload, bugger, was great while it lasted...

Been doing loads more trimming, then stitching new seams to make the clothing narrower and the pants/trousers shorter. I also added a bit of a belly to Bilbo. I need to remove yet more velcro, from the vest this time as I have done from all the other Toybiz clothing and make his cravat from that bit of green pictured at his feet (came from a Green Goblin Figure oddly enough) then attach/sew on the quilt/diamond black pieces to the lapels and sleeve cuffs, re-tailor the jacket a bit as it needs to be straight cut and not flaring out; then I'll address his face paint and try to get a better matter finish, leaving accessories until last. I've started painting Merry's waistcoat, another layer of yellow should do it, using a Toybiz Frodo vest and will add some spare Asmus buttons to it later.

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Brilliant work!

Ask yourself what you need a mouse for. If it's just point and click then you don't need a flashy one. The flashier they are, the more likely they are to go wrong.

CHEERS!

Brilliant work!

Ask yourself what you need a mouse for. If it's just point and click then you don't need a flashy one. The flashier they are, the more likely they are to go wrong.

CHEERS!
    Cheers Roger! I hope to have him done today, then move on to Merry, still haven't sorted out a head for Frodo yet, think I'll have to risk trying one of the previously pictured ones from ebay and just hope I can mod it enough to work in this sub scale. As for the mouse, well I like to make things work the way they're not supposed to! I'll try another program today...

If one of them was Headplay they tend to be small anyway. Good luck with the mouse, hope that's not what has been taking up your day...

CHEERS!

...I like to make things work the way they're not supposed to!
    That's the damn understatement of the month.

Carry on, brah.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

If one of them was Headplay they tend to be small anyway. Good luck with the mouse, hope that's not what has been taking up your day...

CHEERS!
    Nah completely forgot about the mouse, sewed up his shirt and trousers at the back and made his braces look like crossovers to take up the slack. The waistcoat turned out to be made out of that fake silk like old shell suits so no matter how many stitches I sewed in by hand it wasn't enough to keep it together so had to redo it a couple of times then gave up and used glue, works fine now, doesn't look great from the back but he'll be wearing a coat. I haven't any French chalk so I'm using chalk pastel for marking overlap lines on the material, does the job. Made his cravat too then went zonk...ZZZZ

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    That's the damn understatement of the month.

Carry on, brah.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Tailoring Bilbo..

More tailoring done...getting there..

It's not always a good idea to bash when tired. That said, on occasion, I could wake up with a genius idea, do it, go back to bed and wake up not remembering how I did it. To this day there are things I've tried to replicate, but to no avail. All good fun!

CHEERS!

It's not always a good idea to bash when tired. That said, on occasion, I could wake up with a genius idea, do it, go back to bed and wake up not remembering how I did it. To this day there are things I've tried to replicate, but to no avail. All good fun!

CHEERS!
    I know when to stop mate, my pills make sure of that LOL! I send myself to sleep problem solving ongoing or future projects, it's the best way I know how to keep dark thoughts due to my chronic depression away, still always swings back to depressing thoughts but I force them away concentrating on another project conundrum etc.. Usually comes up with some good ideas too!

As you can see his waistcoat collar is preventing his jacket collar from sitting properly so I cut off the back of the the waistcoat collar, I'll add wire inside the jacket collar, shorten it and raise the patterned lapels.. getting a bit repetitive now!

Collar trimmed now:

That's great, and as we can see by the results, the rest does you good.

Every basher and modeller I see these days has one of those cutting mats. Even I got one this week!

CHEERS!

That's great, and as we can see by the results, the rest does you good.

Every basher and modeller I see these days has one of those cutting mats. Even I got one this week!

CHEERS!
    LOL, I've had this one for 10 years! Probably should get a new one as it's been through hell and back.
    Redone all the jacket lapels, collar and cuffs, much happier with it now. Need to re-ink the collar again and pull his sleeve cuffs out.

Jacket hem is even just at a jaunty angle in this pic.

My A4 one cost me less than 4, I feel more organised now. Bilbo was a jaunty fellow anyway.

CHEERS!

My A4 one cost me less than 4, I feel more organised now. Bilbo was a jaunty fellow anyway.

CHEERS!
    Mine's A3 I'll probably get an A2 next.

Re-inked the black collar and lapels, bent the wire to where I want it, obviously he'll look better with his head! . Made Pippin's manbag with a bit od Jedi robe and an old Chewbacca satchel cut up and reshaped, does the job; also cut up another body for Merry while doing some Iron Man mods on the side, I'll show those in a different thread.

Looks like he's playing the bagpipes here! Suitable for Billy Boyd!

Tricksy hobbitses!

Those helmets are quite good. I was annoyed with the ones that came with that multi part magazine though, they were 1/5. They would have sold a shedload more if they'd been 1/6, the Vader and Fett helmets were really nice.

CHEERS!

Tricksy hobbitses!

Those helmets are quite good. I was annoyed with the ones that came with that multi part magazine though, they were 1/5. They would have sold a shedload more if they'd been 1/6, the Vader and Fett helmets were really nice.

Yeah, as I found out with the Death Troopers build the new helmets in the Black Series are all 1/5 as well, sucks.
    CHEERS!
    Yeah, as I found out with the Death Troopers build the new helmets in the Black Series are all 1/5 as well, sucks.

Damn it! Your "Cheers" signature being so low in a quote gets me every time!

It's not actually a signature, I type it every time. It goes back to when I was on the Radio 1 message boards long before I got into 1/6. I think I used to do it so people would know it was me in case anyone tried to fake me. It never happened, but, if I saw a post purporting to be me, if it didn't have that at the end I'd know I hadn't done it. It's just become habit now, I do have it as a signature at SSF though.

I don't know if you have a Disney Store near you, but, they look to be trying to sell off all their TFA stuff. Some premium figures like Rey are 10 and Krennic is 14.99, he keeps tempting me!

Carry on hobbiting!

CHEERS!

It's not actually a signature, I type it every time. It goes back to when I was on the Radio 1 message boards long before I got into 1/6. I think I used to do it so people would know it was me in case anyone tried to fake me. It never happened, but, if I saw a post purporting to be me, if it didn't have that at the end I'd know I hadn't done it. It's just become habit now, I do have it as a signature at SSF though.

I don't know if you have a Disney Store near you, but, they look to be trying to sell off all their TFA stuff. Some premium figures like Rey are 10 and Krennic is 14.99, he keeps tempting me!

Carry on hobbiting!

CHEERS!
    Well if you want him get him, he won't get any cheaper than that!

Bilbo's finished, I sanded down the face with ultrafine modelling foam sandpaper to get rid of the gloss, gave him a faint grey cleaned shave look, glossed the eyes and touched up the hair lie/fringe and ears.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Bilbo & Pippin Finished

You're motoring through these, still, if you're not repainting the sculpts completely and are on a roll, why stop!? I used to rush bashes just to get them posted on here. Then I learned to take my time, I was doing them for myself so there was no need to rush. I'm taking it slow and steady with my AT-ST, it's given me time to do lots more research and to scout parts.

I might get Krennic, they have plenty in the store so he won't vanish any time soon.

Carry on bashin'

CHEERS!

Roger... you don't your time, you take an eternity! Ever finish your KO Hulk or are you still choosing greens?

I don't see any real need at the moment to do major repaints, the size is the important thing right now for the hobbits, Sure the Asmus sculpts could be a bit lighter and Bilbo's darker with some varying skin tones, blues and reds etc.. but don't want to turn him into a clown by mistake with that expression! LOL, I did however spot some hair I'd missed and could only see in the pics so fixed that at least... I want to build the bad guys...ssh...

Damn it, just noticed a loose white thread on his cuff in the pics, I'll fix that.

Bummer, they look nice! I could do with another Death Star Trooper helmet.

Roger... you don't your time, you take an eternity! Ever finish your KO Hulk or are you still choosing greens?

I don't see any real need at the moment to do major repaints, the size is the important thing right now for the hobbits, Sure the Asmus sculpts could be a bit lighter and Bilbo's darker with some varying skin tones, blues and reds etc.. but don't want to turn him into a clown by mistake with that expression! LOL, I did however spot some hair I'd missed and could only see in the pics so fixed that at least... I want to build the bad guys...ssh...

Damn it, just noticed a loose white thread on his cuff in the pics, I'll fix that.
    LOL, Hulk is shelved, he was taking space up on my work space. 1/1 life got in the way in recent years, my gallstones in 2015, recovering in 2016 and you know the rest. Indy took as long as he did as I'd wait and see what each new part or head was like, if I liked it I'd add it, if I didn't I wouldn't. I didn't want a crap Indy sat there reminding me I could do better, I had to have something I'd enjoy looking at. When the Treasure Hunter head came out, I knew I'd finally have a decent version of the one component that was the most important.

Bashes take less time when you have all the bits, but, I don't have your skills and have to wait till the best commercially available bits come out. Oddly, it's the most iconic ones, like Indy, Bond, and Han that have all taken the most time.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by renesw View Post
    First off, thanks for your super great response Shovelchop - above and beyond man

I don't really have any good comparison photos of the Bandai helmets and 1/6 counterparts - despite extensive googling... They look 1/6 and are supposed to be.

I've also been looking into into the De Agostini helmets series. Especially the Imperial Gunner seems to be in scale, and I'd love to make my own correct bash, so I did some research and comparisons.
    After spending a disproportionate amount of time scouring the net and photoshoping, I've compiled a Photoshop document that compares different DeAgostini helmets to the Sideshow 1/6 Biker Scout.

I took great care to insure that the proportions between the helmets are correct, and was pleasently surprised at the 1/6 compatibility of most of the helmets I chose to look at.

My sources for this comparison is a spanish review of the DeAgostini Biker Scout helmet, where he actually holds the DeAgostini helmet next to the 1/6 Sideshow Biker helmet for a true comparison. At 6:35 minutes he puts them next to eachother, and at 7:40 he actually fits the DeAgstini helmet on the Sideshow body (this shows that the Biker helmet is too big for 1/6, but at the same time gives a good idea of the scale of the line of helmets)
    (Espanol) Sideshow Scout trooper 1/6 - YouTube

The second video that convinced me that the DiAgostini Imperial Gunner helmet might work is this review video where he ends the video with placing all the helmets next to eachother, which really shows that the Imperial gunner helmet is reasonably sized. He lines them up at 14:10 min.
    Star Wars Helmet Collection (scale 1/5) Part 2 - YouTube
    That was pretty much as I feared it would be, ah well....

CHEERS!

LOL, Hulk is shelved, he was taking space up on my work space. 1/1 life got in the way in recent years, my gallstones in 2015, recovering in 2016 and you know the rest. Indy took as long as he did as I'd wait and see what each new part or head was like, if I liked it I'd add it, if I didn't I wouldn't. I didn't want a crap Indy sat there reminding me I could do better, I had to have something I'd enjoy looking at. When the Treasure Hunter head came out, I knew I'd finally have a decent version of the one component that was the most important.

Bashes take less time when you have all the bits, but, I don't have your skills and have to wait till the best commercially available bits come out. Oddly, it's the most iconic ones, like Indy, Bond, and Han that have all taken the most time.

CHEERS!
    I noticed you moved your cheers up a line! Cheers! LOL. Yup because they are hard to capture the likenesses enough for the hardcore and most critical fans, 3D scanning helps but not of someone 30 years ago! I'm sure they're working on affordable software (for commercial use) to render accurate 3D models of captured still footage etc..

Sculpting is best done by hand, all too many 3D printed ones come out wrong when printed and cast because they concentrate on the sculpting and not on the render that is going to be printed. To look right when rendered for printing you have to have the focal length of the virtual camera set right. I pointed this out to WGP and they sent me the 3D model of their smiling Indy.

Trevor Grove did his Indy by hand and it looked so much better. Despite what many would have you believe physical tops digital every time!

CHEERS!
    Last edited by rogerbee; 08-30-2017 at 09:11. Reason: Dead pics!

Well if the talent is there but I was thinking of more mass market affordable hs's around the 20-30 quid mark.

Started Merry today...