Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Rohirrim Wraith The Chosen Fur..It's Alive!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Grecoroman Wraith Finished 99

Mighty fine looking weapon you're crafting there. My scratchbuilding skills only really got as far as teeth. I'd buy a lot of creatures and they'd always have badly cast teeth, so I'd make new ones from Milliput. I'd make each individual tooth, leave them to set and then I'd put more Milliput in the mouth where I'd want the gums to be and then I'd press the teeth into them. Same with claws too actually, sometimes I'd have to make new fingertips to take the new claws.

CHEERS!

PS (The guy with the brushes got back to me, he's sending me a return posting label so I can send back the thermometer and he will send the brushes. Let's hope they get it right this time!)

Good luck with the brushes!

Got lazy and tried hotglue instead of miliput, bad idea! Had to rip it off and start again with miliput . Redone all the armour in a black wash again. Also working on some IM accessories that you might spot in the pics...

I don't get it! I keep the camera on manual, get it perfectly in focus, touch the the shutter sensor but then the camera decides it doesn't like it and changes the focus just before it takes the bloody picture! Does this all the bloody time too! It's not like I move or anything.

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Thinking of putting a flaming Sauron eye in each of the round parts on his armour (shoulders, chest and kilt area), what do you think, cool or too much?
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Nah, keep it as is, this is LOTR not Soul Calibur. He looks great!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Nah, keep it as is, this is LOTR not Soul Calibur. He looks great!

CHEERS!
    I had to google what that is! lol. Not that different in this instance...

Sanded the miliput down, now have to drill out the socket add the wooden souvlaki stick, decorative bits that need to be drilled and the bottom blade etc.. then paint and pleather.

I'll keep the eye idea on the back burner for now and see if it can tie in with the other wraiths I build first, I know it will with my version of Sauron... I want to display them all as a set.

All looking good so far.

CHEERS!

All looking good so far.

CHEERS!
    Thanks Roger!

I seem to have put in a lot more work devoted to the staff than expected, not because I felt I had to but because I really like it; still want to add either pleather or black cord hand grips and highlight the edges of the blades. I'm going to start a separate thread for him showing finished outdoor pics that I've done already as I got him in a great pose imitating the mini statue that inspired his build. I had to drill out the metal beads to fit, added more miliput to the mace end to enhance the shape the sanded and filed it into sharp edges, once painted I got a nice Damascus steel effect (steel patterned by multiple layers hand forged together) on it.

Ooops, snapped off at the narrowest part

Redrilled it, fine now.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Wraith Staff Build & Finished

No harm in taking pride in your work and going that extra mile.

CHEERS!

No harm in taking pride in your work and going that extra mile.

CHEERS!
    Never thought there was

Have you checked out the new pics on the other wraith thread of mine? There's an "interesting discussion" too...FFS...there's always one smartarse out there....just glad there are fewer of them on this forum (fingers crossed). Done the final touches to this Wraith and thought I'd plonk the WIP pics here...obviously..

The Hobbit Greco-Roman Wraith From The Don Guldur Battle Last Bits Done New Pics

I think he is one of your best.

CHEERS!

I think he is one of your best.

CHEERS!
    Thanks Roger! Means a lot especially after some guy with 300 posts decides it's all wrong! Feel better about doing the next one now, it'll be what I call the Minotaur Wraith! Rumours are that it was played by Peter Jackson himself as one of little cameos he likes to do, in LOTR it was as a Pirate in ROTK.

"I’d venture to say that the Lord of the Rings was THE film series of the 2000s. Each film was great and the finale, The Return of the Kings, was breathtaking. But did you know that the director of these films, Peter Jackson, not only directed them but appeared in the films in cameo roles?

He’s actually in all three films, and you probably wouldn’t have noticed him at all. Here’s regular Peter Jackson, during the filming of the trilogy:

Now here’s him in The Fellowship of the Ring. He’s a soaked dude in Bree. The hobbits are looking for the Prancing Pony and he walks by. He was supposed to be smoking a pipe, but Jackson was feeling sick so he opted for a carrot. Nice choice.

In The Two Towers he’s a valiant soldier of Rohan, throwing a spear with some tenacity at Orcs assaulting Helm’s Deep. This is also how Jackson must have threatened grips and assistants who didn’t do their jobs.

And finally, in Return of the King, he’s a corsar on the ship that Aragorn stops. He even gets shot with an arrow from Legolas! Don’t mind the red arrow, that’s pointing at Director of Photography Andrew Lesnie.

"

"In this scene we see that Gandalf is injured and Galadriel comes to help him. Could he be dead? Will Galadriel be the one who saves him and brings him back to life? I guess we won't find out until the film comes out. We also see the Ringwraiths surrounding them in a circle but fortunately Elrond comes to save them. We even get a glimpse of Peter Jackson's cameo:

"

"s there a PJ cameo? Of course there must be: it’s as inevitable as death and taxes! In DOS it was the return of the carrot chewer in Bree. In AUJ he was a dwarf at the sack of Erebor.

But what will it be in the Battle of the Five Armies? Staffer Justin thinks it may be the one of the Nine Ringwraiths that we see in the big Dol Guldur confrontation who surround Galadriel and Gandalf. Specifically the one at far right with headgear similar to a jester’s — very similar to the disguise Jackson wore at Comic-Con in July.

"

Be an interesting bash.

Did you know that Toybiz released a figure of Peter Jackson as a Hobbit? I have one somewhere and it's quite a nice figure.

CHEERS!

Yeah, not sure if I picked him up or not, might be the one figure I'm missing from that line!

Bastard Dremel parts out of stock and they couldn't be arsed to even let me know, had to call them to find out where it was, expensive postage for within the UK too. I bypassed the diode and managed to get power to the motor but still wont work, perhaps it needs the diode (I thought it was just a safety feature for countries with only two pin plugs so it wouldn't run in reverse), all the motor parts tested good so not sure what's up, guess I'll just do the usual of replacing parts with the cheapest first until it works. Still not stopping me yet, started on the PJ Minotaur Wraith but can't find my fabric card to make the armour, no idea what I've done with the bloody stuff, large folded wad of it too. Too top it off got the wrong gun delivered today that I've been really looking forward to (an Uzi) and the damn expensive suppressor I ordered for it is out of stock too!! Everyone's got my money and I've got zip for it! Sucky week for buying things!

I feel your pain, I sent back that digital thermometer yesterday and have yet to have word that my brushes have been sent. He'd bloody better get his finger out soon as he is hanging onto his positive feedback by the skin of his teeth. To be fair, it was Amazon that screwed up and not him, though he has been a bit slow on the communication front.

On the upside, I did get my Vallejo paint stand and that drawer unit I wanted so my workspace is looking a wee bit tidier. All the crap is in one place rather than several, LOL!

CHEERS!

Cool about the Dremel. Kick up a stink about the Uzi and hope you get it sorted.

CHEERS!

They said they're sending the Swiss Arms Uzi on Monday and will pick up the Umarex one later.
    Been going blind looking at pinking shears as that's what they're called (I'd forgotten and had to look it up) as mine are garbage; found a nice set of ambidextrous ones (bloody right handed everything as usual!) that are solid stainless steel, 9" long blades and soft grips for around 11 quid in the UK, oh and they're not pink!
    Started on the helmet, I'll add the Eastering looking face shield too and plenty of miliput to blend everything together.

I twisted the wires to trap them in the hot glue so the horns can't be spun or pulled by mistake.

Got the basic crest on top too

The Beginner Collector Unregistered Guest

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Started PJ Minotaur Wraith

I haven't been on here in a while and just spent far too long reading through this thread. Brilliant work as always Shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner Collector View Post
    I haven't been on here in a while and just spent far too long reading through this thread. Brilliant work as always Shovel.
    LOL! Cheers TBC! I guess we get a bit random at times but it sort of ties in somehow in some universe!

All looking good!

So, you're a leftie, me too! I knew lefties were creative, and we've proved it. Did a bit of an Indy this afternoon and dug out my old Geometric Picard and Troi kits. Paint was dire, mostly enamels and done with a trowel, hopefully they'll strip ok. They're not QMX by any means, but, with the right handling they could scrub up ok.

CHEERS!

I've told you I'm left handed many times! LOL.

Been working on guns mostly today but did extend the horns on the helmet to match the reference pics more, seems this guy is an Easterling too. I did some more research thanks to a much clearer screen on my phone (much higher pixel count) so I can read the tiny writing under the reference pics and even blow up the pic of all nine of the Hobbit Wraiths. Turns out they only designed six and three aren't missing, they doubled up, ie: two vikings, two graeco-Roman and two witchkings to make nine in the fight scene and this still where Galadriel "fights" Sauron.

Ignore the orange square, the rest of the icons/stickers show the doubles that make up the nine wraith.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 07-22-2017 at 20:38.

Oh, must've missed it, or forgotten, LOL! So, are you going to bother with all 9 or will you just Photoshop the group shots?

CHEERS!

Oh, must've missed it, or forgotten, LOL! So, are you going to bother with all 9 or will you just Photoshop the group shots?

CHEERS!
    Well I can't use photoshop to save my life and I'll only make the six plus Sauron, guess I mix a few hooded ones in for the display, got four LOTR Wraith and Asmus' Witchking.

Got out the miliput and free-formed the helmet sculpt to be more Easterling with a disk around the crown and then blended all the parts together so it's now curing along with the gauntlets that needed some dremel damage repaired due to the angle they were cast at on the little arms. I'll get the sandpaper out when it all hardens, I'll also make a start on the face shield and armour.

Looking good. I only use Photoshop for retouching and cropping.

CHEERS!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Started Easterling/Minotaur Wraith

Thanks!

Right some more clarification on the Wraith identities or factions, the Wraith Below is not an Easterling but a Haradrim from the South, I seem to have been suffering from an extended brain fart! Well I also lost all the packaging in a move and don't have any interest in RPG's (well I love rocket propelled grenades but not the other one, role playing games..) or computer games.

Apparently they invaded a small American town but no one noticed.. Great costumes in all fairness though!

Looks like you'll have fun with that lot.

CHEERS!

Looks like you'll have fun with that lot.

CHEERS!
    Should be interesting when I get to that wraith as their armour is wicker and bamboo!

Talking of armour, decided I'm not going to hand cut every bloody scale and perform Japanese paper-craft/origami on each one to make them look right or I'll never finish! Decided to do something I haven't done in years, press the shape/design I wanted into warm flattened plasticine, make a little wall of plasticine around it, spray liberally with silicone mould release then mix up some Easyflo to make the positive cast. The plasticine released so well that I've just run another batch of scaled armour to make sure I have enough good parts to work with since the negative mould is armour from a 1/12 LOTR Easterling figure. Done the helmet face plate too, will add detail later.

Silicone sprayed him too so just needs a wash now.

Needs a clean with an old toothbrush but you get the idea

Last edited by shovelchop81; 07-26-2017 at 09:46.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Easterling Wraith Armour Cast In EzyFlo

Coming along!

I'm currently restoring that Geometric Picard kit. The crappy 20+ year old paint is stripping off a charm. It was crappy for the most part because I was using acrylics but cleaning my brushes with brush cleaner I'd use for enamels and the two would react with each other so I'd never get a decent finish. I learned to use water after that. The head on the kit really does look like Patrick Stewart without the paint on it and I can't wait to repaint him. Fun, fun, fun!

CHEERS!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Easterling Wraith Armour Cast In EzyFlo

Have fun with that!
    Just spent a while scrubbing my casts with a brush in soapy hot water, wish I had some plastic friendly degreaser that I use on my guns but all out right now and it's bloody pricey too!