Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 151617 LastLast

Thread: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Haradrim Wraith Sticking Spikey Stakes..

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Easterling Wraith Breastplate & Helmet O

Looking good,

Is your Mithril Silver in the old stubby pot with a white lid? If not then it's not the original 80's Citadel like mine is. Something changed between then and now, a lot of companies had to change the formulation of their paints and they just weren't as good afterwards. I don't think there was lead in any of the acrylics.

Got my Scale75 grey primer earlier. Primed Picard's "Make it so." hand with it and it goes on so well. It needs no thinning at all and the finish is flawless, really impressed! I'm waiting for the plaster in his legs to set before I can put him together and prime the rest. It's taking aaaages to set, possibly used too much water. Someone said that adding salt speeds up setting, so, I've put some in and we'll see what it does!

CHEERS!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Easterling Wraith Breastplate & Helmet O

Yeah it was short stubby plastic pot with translucent white lid, definitely not 80's though, more 2000+ empty now anyway.
    Mounted gauntlets, a pair of hands and the knee pads; all need ink etc.. boots next. Moved some armour around too for clearance etc..

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Attaboy. Looking mighty nice.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Attaboy. Looking mighty nice.
    Thanks man! Nearly there on this one...

Modded the boots to combine them, need to cut the feet down and paint etc...

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Looking really good,

These were the pots I was talking about:

The release date for the box set mine came in was 1988 though I could have got mine later. The salt sort of did the trick on the plaster, so, I capped it with superglue set it with kicker and then I glued on his torso, progress at last!

CHEERS!

I think my bottle is stubbier, could be the same guess they kept using them perhaps.

Cut and filed down the feet, glued them in and just waiting for the filler to cure for sand and paint as I'll do all the washes and drybrushing together, then onto the next one, probably the Haradrim Wraith for a change of materials. These boots will make him taller too.

Nah, they changed them after mine.

Had a right mare with my laptop earlier. Got a 'Blue Screen of Death' due to a dodgy file in the installer for my AV. It happened when I was looking at my saved passwords. After reinstalling the AV, I went back to look at the passwords and the bloody lot had been wiped! I'd reset some of them too! So, I've been back to the sites I visit the most and have re-saved and revised them where necessary. I also installed an add-on which lets me export them.

My PC retailer got back to me and my PSU wasn't faulty. My motherboard has an anti surge feature and it has been known to be problematic, but, it will work fine if you turn the feature off. The PSU has protection built in and I have that mains socket adapter which also has protection, so I should get by. The other option is to replace the motherboard with a different model. There was one I was going to get right from the start and I do fancy it now. I'll see what happens when I get my PSU back and test it without the Anti Surge on....

Done sod all to Picard!

CHEERS!

LOL!

Good new about the PC parts, my surge protector is a tripswitch and a fuse in the plug!
    Ordered The new PCB/speed controller unit for the Dremel today.

Mmm, I'd invest in something if I were you. With the great British weather being what it is it might pay not to have your beloved devices going bang. When my brother was in this room, he was a CB and amateur radio enthusiast. During one bad storm, he unplugged all his rigs and when lightning struck his aerial, the lightning came down the cable and arced across the connector and fried everything in its path. You can still see the scorch marks on the workbench now! You can't be too careful. Tech isn't built to last these days and is getting ever more expensive to replace.

CHEERS!

Yeah but that's all old school problems with lightning, cables are now underground and fibre optics so non conductive, as for a power surge that's what the trip switch is for; trust me I've tripped it quite a few time in this old house with it's dodgy electrics and plumbing! In fact had a power cut the other night and just had to reset my wifi repeater. I'll ask a mate or two who are IT techs though as they're always building their own expensive rigs for gaming etc..
    Waiting for the primer on the feet to dry now, hope to have Khamal finished tonight and start playing with the Haradrim, thank goodness I brought back souvlaki sticks from Greece!

Well his boots definitely have a Gene Simmons KISS vibe going on and I keep singing the Megadeth cover of "These Boots" in my head! But I've got some elbow guards painted up and drying that should help them blend in better.

They are shaping up nicely!

Painted Picard's legs last night and I noticed that some of the salt I used to harden the plaster is seeping out at the back, I'll have to take care of that. I thought I'd sealed it off, but, there must be a leak inside somewhere. It's mainly at the back though so it's not major.

I'm getting my PSU back later, so I'll be sorting that out for much of the rest of the day. That new board is a tempting prospect and I may get one next week, we'll see....

CHEERS!

I was thinking rice would work too, placed on top then brushed off when saturated with water?
    Been making more little armour parts for the boots and elbows.

Mabye,

I think I fixed the leak anyway. I made a cut at the waist and I think it's drained out. Better than that though, I got my PSU back and my PC is up and running again. It runs without the anti surge, but, I'm still thinking about a new motherboard though, just to be sure nothing else can go wrong.

CHEERS!

Keep the old MB safe as a back up.

Done the boots and elbow armour paint, kept the majority of the boots dark to get rid of the Frankenstein look and it seems to work even under harsh light. Just playing around with poses while stuff still dries (like the mace handle) and it's dark outside, using the better camera option though and have him next to his fellow Wraith from TBOFA. Tell me what you think.

He looks ace, you're going to have a heck of an army when you're done.

Changing hardware under Windows 10 isn't as easy as you might think. Swapping out the motherboard deactivates Windows. If you want to reactivate it, you have to link your product key to your Microsoft account. You need your Windows 10 password to do this. I used an autologon feature so I wouldn't have to remember that password. I didn't have it written down anywhere either! Thankfully, I found a way to reset it, so I could then enter it in order to change my account so I could link it to my product key. Once you've done that, you can reactivate Windows with a troubleshooter and be on your merry way.

Needless to say, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't want to future proof my PC, but, needs must

CHEERS!

Cheers! I'm starting a stand alone finished thread for him if you want to check it out in a bit.
    Glad you got that sorted, didn't get a damn product key with my Win7 as the replacement CD (first one split in half!) didn't come with one and the previous code doesn't work for it so been stuck with Win thinking I have a counterfeit version for years now!
    Done my initial layout for the Haradrim Wraith.

I'll pm you a link that might help.

I puttied the back of Picard where the most salt was coming through and it looks to have fixed it, so, later, I'll sand the putty and repaint that bit. I might even get to prime his upper torso tomorrow! Woohoo!

CHEERS!

Back to basics with the Haradrim Wraith, sticks and string! To get that basket weave like armour look that will obviously be painted silver down the road. Thought that collar would work and it would but got nothing to match it to frustratingly so all the other armour would look different.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Haradrim Wraith Started..

Looks fun,

God alone knows what we're doing up at this time on a Saturday! Removing all the old plaster gave me a chance to reset Picard's legs as I wasn't happy with his stance. One of his feet wasn't properly planted, it still isn't quite, but it's as good as it's going to get. I put some coins and an old miniature inside the leg to add weight which helps put weight on that foot. I'm hoping the added weight and the added plaster will keep that foot planted better.

CHEERS!

Eh, I don't get smashed any more so not up late or sleeping off hangovers plus my neighbours get up at six so sort of fell into that pattern but also stay up all night and go to bed at six am too, just depends!

Interesting, looks like he had an argument with a lamp shade.

Did some more fine tuning to Picard's legs, I think I'm finally happy with the stance. Put some more plaster in, mixed to the suggested ratios, so, we'll see how it goes.....

CHEERS!

LOL! His head looks like a light bulb too! Well obviously he's not going to stay that way, already painted the "lampshade" black (lampblack?) and shaped it. I'll add more of that material (what is it called? itchy as hell!) to his torso armour, then paint black with silver drybrushing over all the armour, add wooden stakes, paint them etc..Add a face shield and turban, hands, feet and make the weapons. That's the grand plan at the moment...
    Mix plaster by adding water to the plaster (never the other way around) until you get a porridge or snack dip viscosity and you should be fine, shrinks ever so slightly with the evaporation of water.

More like it, LOL!

The new batch of plaster worked a treat, now to cap it and get going again. I cap the plaster with hardened superglue so it stays in place even if the kit gets knocked over.

I found that I didn't need the added weight after the vinyl had fully cooled, the feet stayed where they were and now the plaster has set they are going nowhere.

Happy days!

CHEERS!

Soldered the old Kinzo's field generator to the Dremel's circuitry and it works fine but only at full speed oddly and can't be adjusted, might have got a wire crossed and have the potentiometer on the (-) instead of the (+) part of the circuit, hard to tell with coils TBH. I'll try reversing it tomorrow can't be arsed now.
    Made more armour and have started giving it more distinctive shapes, quite a lengthy process as it's: cut card, paint card WTD, cut fabric, glue fabric WTD, PVA fabric and card to shape then WTD, paint fabric WTD... and that's without using any silver yet. Chose a small donor hs that's rounded and will just be a structure to attach the turban and face plate too, also painted some shaped material to be a back banner like the riders have but smaller.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Haradrim Wraith Raffia Armour Build

The wraith is coming along,

I'd be careful with the Dremel though, despite your valiant attempts, it could still be time to look for a new one.

CHEERS!

Reversed the wires on the dremel, working great now, used it to make some silver jewellery earlier
    Been replacing the tiny blue laces with black ones, needed a pick tool just to get at the loops.

Wonders never cease! Glad you resurrected it.

Primed Picard's upper half earlier. The primer just glides on with the new Army Painter brush. I might do another final thin coat just to be sure I got everywhere. You've got better fingers than me if you can do those laces.

CHEERS!

Well it was actually repaired thanks to knowledge and systematic elimination but I did get lucky that the Kinzo field generator (coils) still worked .
    Armouring on, running out of bloody PVA though, thought I had more but it was actually already cured into a gelatinous blob out of some horror movie . Managed to rescue some with hot water and transferred to a small glass herb jar to stop it drying out.. now it looks like a sperm bank sample!
    Armour's taking shape, I'm getting a Tribal look going on which I like. I'll be starting sticks soon.

It's always annoying when you run out of things. FB was playing up today, not loading pics and being generally slow. Then, when it came back, the top menu bar had disappeared and no matter what you try, it won't come back. So, if you post anything, I won't get a notification that you have. I'm not ignoring you and I'll get to your post if I scroll far enough. They have said in the past that it does come back on its own, well it had bloody better do!

CHEERS!

EDIT:

Found a Firefox add-on that loads what I want to see in a sidebar, bit clunky, but, it'll do till the normal menu comes back.
    Last edited by rogerbee; 08-15-2017 at 08:52.