Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 17 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Haradrim Wraith Ironic Souvlaki Madness!

Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Haradrim Wraith Ironic Souvlaki Madness!

Yup got my hands full of Middle Earth projects so decided to do them all together as I step back from SW and IM builds to a less technological favourite of mine, there will still be armour though!
    Asmus's release of the Hobbits is to blame for all this as now I have to rescale every Hobbit I own and make two new ones. Forking out the crazy eBay prices for their sets of Hobbits was a no go for me, I'd be looking at 500gbp before taxes so about 650 altogether! Instead I hit Toy Anxiety for every part I could except for the bodies (50 each, ouch) and I missed Frodo's hs which will be a bridge to cross later but got all the clothing I wanted except for Pippin's? scarf. Of course these clothes don't fit the Hobbit bodies I currently have so I'll chop the bodies up and reassemble them to be the right size and physique; an older Bilbo is also in the mix here to be resized.

I need to finish my Eowyn in armour but the basics are already done.

The next might be unfamiliar to many, I even forgot they appeared in the last Hobbit film "Five Armies", is a Witch King/Nazgul Lord, he'll be my interpretation and amalgamation of various representations I've seen in statue form.. er.. two.

Sticking with the bad guys, The Mouth Of Sauron (TMOS for this build) is next, well I'm not sure in what order I'll actually build everything but next on the list at least. I have the Asmus hs and interchangeable faces the rest I'll make for him, not planning on a horse as yet.

I may or may not make another Uruk-hai soldier, I already made a Lurtz many years ago (pictured below) from the same kit and I'd like to do a crossbowman if I don't run out of steam first! I thought I'd throw him in as a possibility because if I just said "The 9" in the tittle there would be all kinds of confusion!

Last but definitely not least and the one I'm probably looking forward to the most will be my own imagining of Sauron himself, not in his battle armour although that would be fantastic but I think my brain would fry at that level of amazing detail needed to be sculpted to make the armour and helm. So I'm going for a more "relaxed" (WTF?) look for him, a sort of "This is my giant vessel that I hang around in when I'm at home or just addressing the troops from my balcony etc..". He'll still have armour and a helm but more akin to a Witch King look except he will be a giant at 18"!

Okay loads of "what I have" pics coming up.. or "car crash pics" as PKD would say. You know the drill by now, here's loads of stuff, I don't really know what I'm doing as I make it up as I go along but there is a plan there somewhere... I think..

Hobbitsis...

Eowyn..

TMOS...

Five Armies Nazgul...

Uruk-hai soldier...

(My Lurtz..)

18" Sauron Vessel...

Reference pics for the FA Nazgul...

Last edited by shovelchop81; Today at 12:03.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 10 Figures WIP

Forgot to mention I Have a few more important pieces of armour coming for the Nazgul and Sauron...

x2 I think...

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Cool Shovel can't wait to see your progress,this is going to be awesome! There and back again a Shovelchops tale.

Wow, very ambitious!! I'll be watching with great interest. Looks like it's going to lots of fun!
    "Impossible is just a stage." Chris Hadfield

Quote Originally Posted by SirGor View Post
    Cool Shovel can't wait to see your progress,this is going to be awesome! There and back again a Shovelchops tale.
    LOL, nice one SirGor! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Wow, very ambitious!! I'll be watching with great interest. Looks like it's going to lots of fun!
    Thanks Spitfire! I hope so, guess I'll start hacking with the Dremell today.

Here's the fight scene between the Wraith and Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman (wow he kicks butt in this scene!), as they are ethereal they're tricky to pin down design wise, there's the two shown above, a large horned spikey one, a very skeleton like one, a sort of Saxon/Viking one, no idea about the other four so far. There's a clip right after this of Galadriel facing down Sauron which is worth a look too.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 05-07-2017 at 05:30.

Started on my first hobbit body using a hacksaw until I did the first leg, tough plastic there, got the Dremell out then; promptly cut my finger open with a scalpel soon after (idiot!). I've taken 15mm off in height and narrowed the chest a lot, still need to do the arms and maybe a tad more off the thighs.

I've done more research into the Nazgul as they appear in The Hobbit finale TBOFA and found more pics of the six I mentioned before, no idea where the other three can be found in detail except on this cool first pic:

Concept art:

Movie still:

Not shown in the film but nice design:

Well there's definitely something positive to say about the simple cheap Toybiz(?) bodies over the SSC ones in this sort of situation, might just pick a couple more up! SSC is doable but a pain in the neck and I know superglue is just going to go everywhere!

Still not a fan of the SSC body for these mods as there is hardly any plastic to work with but saying that it's coming back together with some superglue and filling in gaps with hotglue, why? because it sets fast, is controllable with a cold steel sculpting tool and I have loads of it. I'm concerned about how to reattach the thighs to the hips though because of the articulation they use (mushroom pegs) having said that I'm also concerned about reattaching the lower legs on the Toybiz version too as I had to cut them so high, perhaps I'll cut them lower on the next one and just cover the seam as there's very little room between the knee joint and the attachment area now. I've got some model kit polycap sprues to use as connecting rods since they are PVC not ABS and shouldn't snap as they are tougher. I used E-clips on the Toybiz shoulders to tighten articulation as there are no longer any rubber pads pushing on them.

Done the same with the Toybiz body to have something to screw into later.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 05-08-2017 at 23:19.

Blimey, you're having fun. There's more hack and slash going on here than there was in the movies! I have some of the old DID ones knocking about, I think I bought one to use for a waistcoat and I forget why I got the other one, all I can really recall is that they were cheap as chips when the retailer cleared them out.
    That Uruk-Hai kit almost looks too good to chop up, it could also be rare, I'd keep that complete and in the box as it might actually be worth something.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Blimey, you're having fun. There's more hack and slash going on here than there was in the movies! I have some of the old DID ones knocking about, I think I bought one to use for a waistcoat and I forget why I got the other one, all I can really recall is that they were cheap as chips when the retailer cleared them out.
    That Uruk-Hai kit almost looks too good to chop up, it could also be rare, I'd keep that complete and in the box as it might actually be worth something.

CHEERS!
    I was wondering where you were hiding! Yup lots of chopping going on, as long as I can keep my hands out of the mix it's all fun! . I know you have those hobbit bodies, you wouldn't sell them to me! . As for the kit, might be rare but only cost around 12 quid new on eBay a year or two ago and I'm thinking of making it a Uruk-Hai swordsman now with the centurion like helmet and added armour, that way I can pose my Lurtz with his powerful bow that killed Boromir.

Oh, did I, hmm. Well, when I eventually move, you get first dibs on anything I don't take with me, how's that!?

As for where I've been, well, I didn't want to bore you with rantings about my absent Bandai AT-ST, I've been doing that just about everywhere else, LOL!

Carry on!

CHEERS!

Well now! This should be a fun one to watch come together. Off to a helluva start!

Finally a new chop thread! Best wip pics in the business, and its a joy to be able to check the forum and see interesting updates.

Do your thing
    "Itīs been a while since I done had me some roadkill in my belly" (SKETTI)

Oh, did I, hmm. Well, when I eventually move, you get first dibs on anything I don't take with me, how's that!?

As for where I've been, well, I didn't want to bore you with rantings about my absent Bandai AT-ST, I've been doing that just about everywhere else, LOL!

Carry on!

CHEERS!
    Well I hope you get to move soon, you really need more space! Bad luck on the AT-ST, I hope you get that sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle Munkey View Post
    Well now! This should be a fun one to watch come together. Off to a helluva start!
    Cheers PM!

Quote Originally Posted by renesw View Post
    Finally a new chop thread! Best wip pics in the business, and its a joy to be able to check the forum and see interesting updates.

Do your thing
    Thank you very much renews! It's an honour to be appreciated!

Got what I think and hope is the trickiest part of the SSC body reconstruction done, the thighs, any gaps will be filled in with hot glue, just letting the superglue dry in the pics and trying like mad to keep it out of the joints!

Last edited by shovelchop81; 05-08-2017 at 23:27.

Wow... that's some serious amputation work. Good job.

Quite the undertaking but if anyone is up to it, it would be you.

Respekt ! Hard to finish a bash with only one figure. Sometimes projects ends unfinished in the bottom drawer. Especially when they are elaborate. Great to see You bring all Your projects to an end.

The AT-ST should be here this week, it just feels longer. I suppose it has given me time to amass research, paints and tools so it's not all bad. I can't see the move happening for a year at least though.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by swtimes11 View Post
    Wow... that's some serious amputation work. Good job.
    Well it is the chop shop! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by zebraten View Post
    Quite the undertaking but if anyone is up to it, it would be you.
    Cheers for the faith dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Ephiane View Post
    Respekt ! Hard to finish a bash with only one figure. Sometimes projects ends unfinished in the bottom drawer. Especially when they are elaborate. Great to see You bring all Your projects to an end.
    Well I've only just started lol! No pressure then!. I also have loads of unfinished builds and planned builds with all the parts needed stored in draws, I like to think they will keep me busy as I get older and probably poorer!

The AT-ST should be here this week, it just feels longer. I suppose it has given me time to amass research, paints and tools so it's not all bad. I can't see the move happening for a year at least though.

CHEERS!
    That sucks man, I hope to manage to speed things up.

Just a comparison in height, the modified SSC body (so far) with the Asmus Samwise head as it's the only one with a neck so it will go on this body (had to remove the neck socket rubber plug though). Looks about right to me, working on the torso parts now as I've done the arms already.

Completely blown away.

Probably the most ambitious project proposal I've seen. Wouldn't have the guts to say it out loud myself, knowing how long it takes for me to build anything. By the time I got close to finishing, I'd be too old to remember what the hell I'd started.

Chop away, brah. I'll be here watching.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Completely blown away.

Probably the most ambitious project proposal I've seen. Wouldn't have the guts to say it out loud myself, knowing how long it takes for me to build anything. By the time I got close to finishing, I'd be too old to remember what the hell I'd started.

Chop away, brah. I'll be here watching.
    Well I'll do all I can to get them done, may need a breather at some point but just thought I'd stick them all in one thread as they are related. 7 need to be done, 2 I really want to do and 1 would be nice to have done but no guarantees.

Hours of fun there!

The AT-ST arrived yesterday, a 1/48 Bandai kit is much like a 1/6 one, only a hell of a lot smaller. There's no way I could have done it without my glasses.

Keep up the good work!

CHEERS!

Hours of fun there!

The AT-ST arrived yesterday, a 1/48 Bandai kit is much like a 1/6 one, only a hell of a lot smaller. There's no way I could have done it without my glasses.

Keep up the good work!CHEERS!
    LOL, glad to hear it!

Does anyone know anything about the actual sizes of these Elijah Wood heads? Not guesses or assumptions, I need a Frodo head and was hoping I could mod one of these, preferabley the fist one, cheers!

1/6 scale Head Sculpt Elijah Wood Lord Of The Rings SetGREEN STREET HOOLIGANS1.0

Elijah Jordan Wood Head Carving 1/6 Collectible Model The Lord of the Rings HP | eBay

Can't help you with the Elijah heads I'm afraid. You know you're onto a good project when you spend more on accessories and materials than you do on the actual thing they are for. I think I've spent nearly 3 times what I did on the actual AT-ST on stuff for it.

CHEERS!

I am definitely keeping this thread away from my girls a) I'm not having them in bed with me after the nightmares (my bed is mine!!) b) one or 2 may take it into their 1/6 heads and pay you a visit to see how you get on on the other end of the Dremal!

That being said looks good so far. I'm not sure I like the wraiths I think I prefer them as the black cowled forms they were in the books, maybe their ethereal forms might look like wizened men but I think even you would have difficulties sculpting transparent forms.

I'm actually thinking that i prefer the more generic characters to the recognisable ones I think there should be more 'An orc' , Mr A Halfling, An Elf etc.

Anyway I have a greater calamity than you trying to amputate your finger , I broke one of my nails opening a package from Kit.

Can't help you with the Elijah heads I'm afraid. You know you're onto a good project when you spend more on accessories and materials than you do on the actual thing they are for. I think I've spent nearly 3 times what I did on the actual AT-ST on stuff for it.

CHEERS!
    Model kits will do that to you I'm finding with my Zoids etc.. building dios and that but I have most of the materials I need to hand. This build is yet again about getting all the hobbits the same size and for a budget hence all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Delanie View Post
    I am definitely keeping this thread away from my girls a) I'm not having them in bed with me after the nightmares (my bed is mine!!) b) one or 2 may take it into their 1/6 heads and pay you a visit to see how you get on on the other end of the Dremal!

That being said looks good so far. I'm not sure I like the wraiths I think I prefer them as the black cowled forms they were in the books, maybe their ethereal forms might look like wizened men but I think even you would have difficulties sculpting transparent forms.

I'm actually thinking that i prefer the more generic characters to the recognisable ones I think there should be more 'An orc' , Mr A Halfling, An Elf etc.

Anyway I have a greater calamity than you trying to amputate your finger , I broke one of my nails opening a package from Kit.
    Cut up little bodies? Come on, what's not to love about that! LOL. I get nightmares about real life!
    As for the wraith armour look, that's what they were described as in the original books when Frodo put on the Ring, their Mordor forms reveal themselves like here in the brilliant old 70's animation.

Well Samwise Gamgee is done! That's one out of the way! Think I'll get rid of the shoulder bag, looks too big. Reinforced all the new joints with hotglue then cut it down. The body's nice and secure/stable, it's the Asmus plastic poppers and faux buttons that are a pain! Had to cut off the shirt ones as they just broke.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 10 Figures WIP Sam Done

Sam looks great! Till we get Brexit over with, shouldn't this be a Snickers build!?

CHEERS!

Great start mate,Sam looks excellent!

Sam looks great! Till we get Brexit over with, shouldn't this be a Snickers build!?

CHEERS!
    Dear oh dear, scrapping the bottom of the barrel there Roger! . Growing up in Greece I never new them as anything but Snickers, like Twix are Raiders etc..Cheers for liking Sam!

Quote Originally Posted by Efbee View Post
    Great start mate,Sam looks excellent!
    Thanks Efbee! Good to see you here!

Now this is why I prefer the Toybiz bodies for these mods, only took a morning to put back together for the first time and I improved the articulation while I lost some articulation on the SSC body (most double joints became single joints, no biggie but worth pointing out). I also forgot to mention I've been carving barbs in the connection posts and limb surfaces to help with adhesion. Pippin just needs to get dressed now and find a scarf, oh yeah hands would be helpful too! No extra hotglue needed either.