Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Easterling Wraith Armour Cast In EzyFlo

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Pippin&Merry Done,Orc Part

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    He's Earolas and Legolas now! Ouch! The teeth might work well though.

CHEERS!
    LOL very droll sir! I'm thinking I could use them as extensions rather than just replacement ears as they are too short, I also have some long ears from the Green Goblin helmet that I cut up years ago to make a Sith Night. I can easily sculpt his ears but they would be very brittle so I want to try plastic ones first.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Pippin&Merry Done,Orc Part

Keen to see your Orcs done, such great designs.

Attached a Legolas ear to see if it will work then dived into sculpting Green Stuff and cutting away unwanted bits, very carefully adding teeth with tweezers; getting there! I want to keep to Jackson's design but make him less "dirpy", less like an old man pervert and more like an orc pervert if that makes sense?

I'm working with multiple reference pics but this gives you a good idea

Last edited by shovelchop81; 05-26-2017 at 17:36.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Grishnakh Sculpt Started..

Looking good, though I'd swap those upper teeth over and add a couple so he looks more like the pics.

CHEERS!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Grishnakh Sculpt Started..

Looking good, though I'd swap those upper teeth over and add a couple so he looks more like the pics.

CHEERS!
    I hear you but I like the more Nosferatu look of pretty much all the other orcs, no idea why Jackson decided to give Grishnakh more human features, like I said above I want to keep the essence of the film character but avoid the dirty old man look. The pics below will hopefully clarify what I mean and in certain stills it looks like he could have sharp incisors, then there are other artistic interpretations like the 1970's film I grew up with and still have on VHS! LOL.
    Done more sculpting, need to add some warts and little bulges to his head, add perioral lines (yes I had to google what that part is called around the moustache area, doesn't seem to have a generic name). Soften some sharp lines remaining and attach the head to a neck then do all the paint and hair. I'm also making him look angry and not like some poor old bloke who is totally confused!

the 1970's Grishnakh

Different orc but you get the idea of the Nosferatu look

An artists interpretation of Grishnakh but looks too WOW to me.

Lowered his upper lip some, added warts and bumps, redefined the eye sockets, narrowed his jaw etc.. going to leave it to cure before I can manhandle the head onto a custom neck and attach it; will probably sort out his wardrobe next. Pics suck sorry, tired going for a nap...

I'll have to see what he looks like painted up, he does look good. My AT-ST is sort of schizophrenic, the interior matches the live action set they built, but, I want the exterior to match the go motion models they had in the studio as opposed to the full size one they depict on the box for the kit. Either way it will all look good when it's done, exactly when is the million dollar question...

CHEERS!

Ten years? Never? LOL just teasing! I'm sure you'll do a great job just don't overthink it and just let it happen, any mistakes can sometimes be a bonus and if not, they can always be easily fixed with a bit of glue and paint.
    As for my sculpt, still curing, going through clothing and materials for now. Paint will be the standard PJ movie colours with real white hair etc.. need to make him a scimitar..

Bandai kits vehicle kits snap together, but, they do need painting. It's a case of so far so good at the moment.

CHEERS!

Well found some clothing for him to start with, working on his wrist and knee armour as Asmus seemed to have missed the upper hinged armour connected by leather straps even on their finished Grishnakh oddly enough.. the armour parts I have must have been prototypes, they were supplied with Saruman and Aragorn as bonus pieces. I heated up the horns that will be warg tusks in hot water then put them on ice to instantly cool them in place, I'll cut them to size/length later. I had to take a chisel and mallet to the donor bodies (after removing the screws, they're glued together) as I needed the partial neck from one and the forearms from the other since they are the right colour; put them both back together so nothing wasted. I need to cut the fur I have to the correct shape but can't screw up as it's the only piece in that colour I have! Got part of an old worn out crossbow string that will make a nice "cat o'nine tails" whip for him too.

Toybiz 6" figure for reference

He has a tail on his fur unlike the Asmus one, don't know what those things are next to it, look like unpainted segmented tubes...weird!

Back to mine

Clearer pics of the sculpt

Last edited by shovelchop81; 05-28-2017 at 04:28.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Dressing Grishnakh

Gotta commend you on that head mate.Really coming out spot-on for mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Efbee View Post
    Gotta commend you on that head mate.Really coming out spot-on for mind.
    Cheers FB! "for mind"? sorry didn't get that bit mate. Done a bit more to the sculpt, made his brows heavier and lower, not sure if it's too much though, happens when you keep looking at the damn same thing for days! LOL. I can always shave it back if needed.

Okay, not touching the sculpt anymore or I'll be going in circles! Done the little texture and detail work like wrinkles, pockmarks etc.. after a slight readjustment of the brows. Move on and made his whip to flog his underlings with That was a lot of knots to tie! 4 per strand!

That looks like it'd sting!

CHEERS!

That looks like it'd sting!

CHEERS!
    Yeah and then some! They would flay your skin off down to the bone, Romans even had metal claws tied into the knots, hence the "cat" reference in the name, nasty stuff!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Easterling Wraith Armour Cast In EzyFlo-cruc1-jpg  

MeeOWW!!

Sadistic lot weren't they! Orcs too I shouldn't wonder. Hope it's all coming together.

CHEERS!

MeeOWW!!

Sadistic lot weren't they! Orcs too I shouldn't wonder. Hope it's all coming together.

CHEERS!
    Yup, Cheers! Well if you watch the youtube clip there it shows orcs flogging their own troops with the same kind of whip that I made.

Been redoing his neck completely as the other plan was too wide so body disassembly needed again and new parts cobbled together, works fine now, his hair will cover any gapages. Made a multibelt rig for him to attach to his articulated greaves once they're painted up to match the arm armour, aslo cut out bits to be his hand/wrist guards. Found some red primer which was lucky so done the basic general colour with losts more washes, highlights, details, glosses etc.. to go yet. I need to scratch build his gourget and back neck armour next too, then scratch build his leather lace-up sandles which will be fiddly.

Found this nice real leather glove outside my house..

The one on the left is upside down..

pockmarks will fade with added paint..

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Grishnakh Primer,Leather,A

Daamn, he's lookin' great!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Grishnakh Primer,Leather,A

Yeah, he is,

Is that one of those Character Options bodies!? If it is you might want to go around all the joints with some Klear. One of my 10th Doctor bodies went really floppy and I hardly did anything with it. Better to be safe than sorry.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle Munkey View Post
    Daamn, he's lookin' great!
    Thanks for looking and chimming in PM!

Yeah, he is,

Is that one of those Character Options bodies!? If it is you might want to go around all the joints with some Klear. One of my 10th Doctor bodies went really floppy and I hardly did anything with it. Better to be safe than sorry.

CHEERS!
    Yeah he's one of my many Dalek Sec bodies that I got in a lot on ebay, whys mi spel chekker nut wonking? 'Elo'elo.. it's turned on, weird. Anyway... yes good idea as he'll be wearing some very heavy gear! I forgot to mention that all the riveted plates on his tunic armour are actually real metal!Using the stuff below to make his neck/back armour that the fur mounts onto. Got those Boush trousers that I might swapout, it's hard to tell whether the pleats on the back of his legs are patterns or just scrunched up leggings, no fur either way as Asmus did theirs luckily as I don't think I have enough anyway! Speaking of fur, got two types of white fur to choose from for his hair, will probably go with the longer hair type.

This could be the guy Treebeard stepped on but Toybiz have given the same armour to Grishnakh, I'm gessing Toybiz got the more accurate wardrobe pics as they were working with Weta Studios at the time.

And Asmus's leg gear that seems wrong if the above is correct, you can't really tell from the film.. Either way I've comitted to the Toybiz version for reference.

Thanks to scene selection options on the DVD I found out that it was Grishnakh who was stepped on by Treebeard after he was impailed by a Rhohiran spear, tough little bugger! Looks like this marathon build will turn into a LOTR movie marathon now too as I have my extended version DVD LOTR box set out, that's 12 DVDs!!

Just the normal versions back to back would be an ask for me to sit through, I think I watched each movie once and that was it. Don't get me wrong, I did like them, they're just so damn loooooong! Sec could be one of the better bodies, though the ankles on them were pretty weak, the Clockwork Man I had would never stay standing so I'd mod the ankles on your Grishnakh so they're pretty sturdy.

CHEERS!

Just the normal versions back to back would be an ask for me to sit through, I think I watched each movie once and that was it. Don't get me wrong, I did like them, they're just so damn loooooong! Sec could be one of the better bodies, though the ankles on them were pretty weak, the Clockwork Man I had would never stay standing so I'd mod the ankles on your Grishnakh so they're pretty sturdy.
    CHEERS!
    They'll be wrapped up in rags under his sandals so that should be enough, if not I've got a stand! (your damn cheers got me again!lol)

Making his scimitar and texturing up all the "metal" armour parts with sand and PVA glue before paint apps to give that corroded and abused iron look, asside from his rear collar with fur capelet and tusks to be added it's going to mostly be painting now.

You might be alright then. Interesting weathering technique.

CHEERS!

You might be alright then. Interesting weathering technique.

CHEERS!
    LOL, I didn't miss the CHEERS this time!
    I've used this weathering technique as rust/corrosion before on my Moria Orc many years ago and on my zombie Cyberman figure plus other stuff I imagine. Done most of the paint layers on the armour now, might go back in with a black ink wash and hilight with silver dry brushed sparsely. Started the hs too.

made all his armour, shield and helm out of fibre/felt card too.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Painting Armour HS Grishna

Looks good,

If you want sword blades to look good, this could be right up your street: MOLOTOW LIQUID CHROME REFILL - 30ML - HIGH GLOSS, LIQUID CHROME INK | eBay

You can brush it on too!

CHEERS!

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit Build Of 9 Or 11 Figures WIP Painting Armour HS Grishna

Killer work, man, but I'm a little concerned over the orc's oral health...

This boy needs a dentist...bad.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Looks good,

If you want sword blades to look good, this could be right up your street: MOLOTOW LIQUID CHROME REFILL - 30ML - HIGH GLOSS, LIQUID CHROME INK | eBay

You can brush it on too!

CHEERS!
    OUCH! Nearly 20 quid for 30ml?!! That's 4x the price of regular Game Color/ Vallejo ink and about 20x the price of spray chrome! You can get 400ml of Monster Color mirror finish chrome for 10 quid. Interesting to know it's out there though, real silver is $17.50 per ounce today, might be cheaper to make a blade out of that! Luckily Orcs and Uruk-Hai just use rough cast steel and iron.

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Killer work, man, but I'm a little concerned over the orc's oral health...

This boy needs a dentist...bad.
    I haven't even got started on his teeth yet, I don't think Orcs get a dental plan!

It is pricey, but, it's the best way of getting a flawless finish where you don't have to airbrush it or spray it. Still, it's up to you what you use. I'm sure it'll look good.

CHEERS!