Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: Crazy Horse

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Discovery Bay, Ca
    Posts
    7,514

    Crazy Horse

    Hi, all. I was finally able to complete my take on Crazy Horse. I used the old Sideshow version as a starting point and modified it. I modified the Phicen body by staining the body a more appropriate color, to match the Crazy Horse head. I made the Head neckless to fit the Phicen body. With Crazy Horse complete, I have finished the upgrading of the Sideshow Old West line.

    Thanks for looking!

    Doug







    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crazy Horse-d1b59050-cdec-4f84-b984-ed1f3477ab70_zpshndq6czh-jpg   Crazy Horse-98e66707-cba0-4b34-af6f-1c09dc52ec07_zpslojrbiuo-jpg   Crazy Horse-c9d3cf6a-64cb-480e-9cc6-e5e40c3fde58_zpspbs9pkuz-jpg   Crazy Horse-dbfa8891-7c44-4f4c-ac9f-5c34c83f6542_zpsrb9cdp5u-jpg  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Apparently, some alternate universe
    Posts
    40,833

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Maybe the first real 1:6 pit hair, I recall ever seeing, Doug. That just enhances the rest of the work, one of the best Native American figures ever, and that, notably, without any warpaint .
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wilburton Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,842

    Re: Crazy Horse

    fantastic work

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,330

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Outstanding! Never thought the body would be flexible enough to make the arm up pose possible!
    November KOTM graphic 2-kotm1-jpg 2005

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,507

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Tremendous. THe best integration/use of Phicen I've seen so far. I thought it was a hard statue body at first. Amazing!

    Regarding coloring the phicen bod, are you doing any overall color change to it, or is it mainly weathering (ie, dirt) and shading?
    One Sixth Celebs
    http://www.famousfigures.com

    V.I.K.I.: Do you not see the logic of my plan?
    Sonny: Yes, but it just seems too.. heartless.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SO CAl
    Posts
    5,321

    Re: Crazy Horse

    AMAZING WORK!!! Love to see your updates on these SST figs!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Discovery Bay, Ca
    Posts
    7,514

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Maybe the first real 1:6 pit hair, I recall ever seeing, Doug. That just enhances the rest of the work, one of the best Native American figures ever, and that, notably, without any warpaint .
    Thanks, Mike. I'm glad you caught the armpit hair-I wasn't sure anyone would notice.

    Quote Originally Posted by egonzinc View Post
    Outstanding! Never thought the body would be flexible enough to make the arm up pose possible!
    These Phicen bodies open up a whole new realm of possibilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKev View Post
    Tremendous. THe best integration/use of Phicen I've seen so far. I thought it was a hard statue body at first. Amazing!

    Regarding coloring the phicen bod, are you doing any overall color change to it, or is it mainly weathering (ie, dirt) and shading?
    I stained the body, using ground up pastel chalks, which I applied via a damp paintbrush. This has the effect of coloring the body, and it won't rub off. Otherwise, the head would not have matched.

    Quote Originally Posted by siquisiri View Post
    AMAZING WORK!!! Love to see your updates on these SST figs!!
    Thanks much. Your western figures have been a big inspiration to me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Warrenton, VA
    Posts
    4,404

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Amazing work, Doug, just amazing! I thought the addition of the armpit hair was inspired! I suspect this one will be nommed for KotM!

    David
    My Trade Feedback

    "I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    N.T., Hong Kong
    Posts
    8,276

    Re: Crazy Horse

    That is superb work, and I'm impressed with the Phicen body. KOTM nom for sure.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WI, US
    Posts
    2,868

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Brilliant. Another masterwork by one of the best. Thanks for the staining tip, also, Doug.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    320

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Excellent work on all your figures here, and Crazy Horse is just superb!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Anglia, UK
    Posts
    20,918

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Superb work!

    I used pastels to dirty up my Nam grunt, I deliberately sprayed the fixer too close as it gave a nice sweaty effect.



    CHEERS!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Austria, Wels
    Posts
    200

    Re: Crazy Horse

    WOW! Best Native American figure, i have ever seen!!!!!! love it!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    854

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Superb Doug, the work you've done on it's fantastic it's very beautiful

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FRANCE
    Posts
    113

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Fantastic work !!!

    10/16

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    the gritty streets of NYC
    Posts
    1,840

    Re: Crazy Horse

    incredible work on that crazy horse!

    miguel

    (3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lexington, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,556

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Fantastic bash of a true American legend.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    755

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Great work!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    282

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Really impressive. The skin colouring is very realistic.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Posts
    623

    Re: Crazy Horse

    There's a lot more soul in that sculpt than Sideshow's production brought out. I love seeing these old figures brought up to contemporary standards. Those original sculptors for Sideshow, Mat Falls and Oluf Hartvigson, did some beautiful and under appreciated work. Thanks for rescuing them and showing us what was there.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Indiana, U.S.A.
    Posts
    123

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Outstanding!! The level of details, from the armpit hair to the skin shading and outfit, is just breath taking. KotM nominee for sure.
    good kill..............

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    wigan, UK
    Posts
    1,022

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Outstanding!!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,462

    Re: Crazy Horse

    WOW!! That...is seriously Epic work!!!
    It's a fabulous time to be collecting in 1/6th scale!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    1,224

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Doug

    I've been waiting on this rendition since you mentioned you would be updating the figure a while back and I must say wow what a job! The use of the Phicen body is a perfect choice! and I also caught the pit hair well done! A superb job through and through!

    Cya
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
    Posts
    2,704

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Another great figure doug, love this western series, still looking forward to seeing some pics of the Big Guy.

    Cheers,

    Peter.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,454

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WI, US
    Posts
    2,868

    Re: Crazy Horse

    As regards the staining of the body, did you seal it with anything?

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Augusta, Ga.
    Posts
    9,012

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Look closely, folks...

    This is about as good as it gets.

    Well done, indeed, Doug.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Discovery Bay, Ca
    Posts
    7,514

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Quote Originally Posted by Gruff Old Bear View Post
    There's a lot more soul in that sculpt than Sideshow's production brought out. I love seeing these old figures brought up to contemporary standards. Those original sculptors for Sideshow, Mat Falls and Oluf Hartvigson, did some beautiful and under appreciated work. Thanks for rescuing them and showing us what was there.
    They really did some amazing work.

    Quote Originally Posted by danhk93 View Post
    Outstanding!! The level of details, from the armpit hair to the skin shading and outfit, is just breath taking. KotM nominee for sure.
    Thanks much !

    Quote Originally Posted by HDHSVI View Post
    Doug

    I've been waiting on this rendition since you mentioned you would be updating the figure a while back and I must say wow what a job! The use of the Phicen body is a perfect choice! and I also caught the pit hair well done! A superb job through and through!

    Cya
    Hankster
    Thanks, hankster. The phicen was the only real way to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    As regards the staining of the body, did you seal it with anything?
    No seal on this one. It doesn't need it when you just use the pastel chalks.

    Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Look closely, folks...

    This is about as good as it gets.

    Well done, indeed, Doug.
    Thank you kindly.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,474

    Re: Crazy Horse

    Boy Doug, these are incredible! That crazy horse is crazy! Lol

    Jay

    November 2015

Similar Threads

  1. 19th Century | Upgraded SST Custer & Crazy Horse
    By markh166 in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-01-2016, 15:55
  2. Anyone know where I can find a SST Crazy Horse?
    By MonkeyMan in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 15:21
  3. DML Horse Help !!!!!
    By TF Dagger in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 13:39

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Crazy Horse
Crazy Horse
KGHobby...Click Here!
Urban Samurai Hobbies...Click Here!
Timewalker Toys...Click Here!
BlackOps Toys...Click Here!
Alien Day Ultimate Giveaway - Join the Hunt!
HobbyLink Japan...Click Here!
Cotswold Collectibles...Click Here!
The ToySource...Click Here!
Big Bad Toy Store...Click Here!
ToyWiz...Click Here!
Nouveau Toys...Click Here!
HobbyLink Japan...Click Here!
Toynk...Click Here!