Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: DAM Historical Series

DAM Historical Series

Hi guys,

With DAM recent announcement of their history line, which is their reason for the Tet Offensive Marine. What other figures from Nam would you like to see them do? Personally, I think as ACE doing great job with grunts and SF, DAM could continue to do Marines, there's enough variation on uniform for several figures, as well as weaponry. I'd really also love them to do some Vietcong or NVA as they've been great with Asian sculpts.

Outside that era, would be great if they could go further back in history to perhaps the Napoleonic, English Civil War, Redcoats etc. Don't know too much on my uniform history in this era, but always loved them.

But for now, would be happy to see more MArines possibly based off the same film as the one they're doing, plus some Vietnamese.
    1:6th is like the Mafia...you can't ever leave it....alive

www.hellblazer.biz

Re: DAM Historical Series

As you say, the possibilities are endless. No doubt that will be curbed somewhat by practicalities - what will be a "guaranteed" sell, perhaps what is going on with competitors. From Vietnam thru today , DAM looks to find that doable. As they step back farther into history, they would be treading on well-travelled paths, and possibly some seldom considered by onesix companies. Money and imagination, those will tell.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

If DAM is considering doing some more Vietnam related figures they should think about doing an Australian or a Kiwi or a ARVN or even a ROK figure.
    you were comrades true and indivisible

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegum View Post
    If DAM is considering doing some more Vietnam related figures they should think about doing an Australian or a Kiwi or a ARVN or even a ROK figure.
    Ah yes - Australians would be most welcomed! As would ARVN and ROK! All very much neglected

www.hellblazer.biz

I would be all over Vikings and napeoleonic era figures. There are so many historical figures that I want...but realistically I don't know how well they would sell.

Personally Id love to see them make som wild west or Civil war figures. But for more modern military, some early Nam-days Marines, VC, NVA.
    Though IDF has been done recently and in the past, Id love to see their take on such figure aswell.
    Or modern from various NATO countries. Cold war era aswell.
    "Ill show you were the Ironcrosses grow..."

I would prefer Cold War British Army... a criminally overlooked subject. And I don't mean the Falklands war.

Quote Originally Posted by lurpdog101 View Post
    Ah yes - Australians would be most welcomed! As would ARVN and ROK! All very much neglected
    Yeah - put me on the wanted list too ;-). I have found this post on their facebook page:

We glad to introduce our new history series with the first of series - 1/6th U.S Marine of Vietnam War!
    The History series will bring you a brand new range of military figures as many collectors expected.
    For military collectibles, every new one would become history in the future, and we aim to bring you guys these old school and real classic ones from many.
    "

Old school and real classic ones would be WW2, Vietnam and the 90s for me. With the new golden era of Vietnam Figures by ACE it is not a surprise that the first one from DAM is a Vietnam Figure too. It would be very cool if DamToys would bring out 2-3 Figures of each period. Hopefully not only US Figures like Marines or Army. Australian, ARVN, VC, NVA or ROK would be very cool too. We will see what the future will show. It is alwys a matter of business and how much money they can make with this series. So some unique Figures like Vikings, Napoleon etc. would be very interesting but form a manufacture point of view i am affraid it is not profitable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by plastique View Post
    I would prefer Cold War British Army... a criminally overlooked subject. And I don't mean the Falklands war.
    I'll second that

British Soldier in N. Ireland would be nice, but would also love to see some Royal Navy and Royal Air Force figures.

French Napoleonic would be superb, as long as they actually researched the subject matter....unlike DID, Old Guard including dress & campaign uniforms......Polish Lancer, Empress Dragoon etc etc.

WW1 for me. With the success of the latest Battlefield game, now could be the time to capitalise. Such great potential for interesting figures from that period too.

Let me be the one to resurrect the call for the Canadian soldier in Afghanistan, both historical, and shamelessly ignored. Other countries could be addressed as well, right up to today, but the patient, faithful Canadian soldier has waited far too long.

If DAM chose to follow the trail of Sideshow's Brother of Arms and Bayonets and Barbed Wire series, I would not be averse to that.

In the main, DAM must maintain accuracy.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Seeing the replies so far in this thread, just shows how hard it can be for these companies to try and please us collectors!
    Napoleonic and WWI requested so far are good shouts, but have been done (no matter how badly) – so from that respect it would be nice to see something that hasn't been done before.
    I, personally, would love British WW2 to present day, but I expect it'll be a Vietnam series.

I would love to finally see post-WWII Soviet soldiers, maybe from the 1950s-1970s.

After they do some Vietnam USMC troops I would like to see Aussies and ROK soldiers from the era, or an ARVN.

http://macvsog.yuku.com/directory
    28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds

1. NVA.

2. Female VC

Some great ideas!! I agree with all. As much as Vikings, Napoleonic (done right) etc....it is sadly not financially viable to do. The show Vikings is a huge hit, but I don't think enough people would buy. I have Romans and some custom Teutonics, but will be selling soon, with money tight, and concentrating on Nam squad building! hah

www.hellblazer.biz

I think we're probably looking at Vietnam and possibly Grenada and Panama conflict US figures with an emphasis on Special Forces. I would love to see some less mainstream figures, such as Warsaw Pact soldiers, Suez Canal Crisis, French, British, Israeli and Egyptian figures and a Congo Crisis mercenary and other African bush war figures, along with the previously mentioned Northern Ireland British figures, but I doubt that any of them would be good sellers, so they're all unlikely. The only possible figure out of the mainstream that I think we might possibly see is a Soviet Afghan war Spetsnaz figure but that's probably unlikely as well.
    Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

very true. DAM did preview at the same time as this an Israeli IDF figure.

I'd love to see Ancient Egyptians, and ones that aren't over $300 like the 2 out there now

www.hellblazer.biz

Quote Originally Posted by Spettscollector View Post
    I would love to finally see post-WWII Soviet soldiers, maybe from the 1950s-1970s.
    Expanding on that troops of all nations from that Era – maybe Berlin stationed Brits, US, Russian troops etc. would be nice and unique.

I think we have plenty of XX and XXI century figures. It is time to explore figured based on period from XV - XIX Century, but ACCURATED ones. Enough of botched jobs (if figures has high price, the quality and accuracy must be also high ...)

Yes...1400s to 1800s is an era that has so much potential for 1/6 but that is unexplored!

Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    I think we're probably looking at Vietnam and possibly Grenada and Panama conflict US figures with an emphasis on Special Forces. I would love to see some less mainstream figures, such as Warsaw Pact soldiers, Suez Canal Crisis, French, British, Israeli and Egyptian figures and a Congo Crisis mercenary and other African bush war figures, along with the previously mentioned Northern Ireland British figures, but I doubt that any of them would be good sellers, so they're all unlikely. The only possible figure out of the mainstream that I think we might possibly see is a Soviet Afghan war Spetsnaz figure but that's probably unlikely as well.
    Probably a return to WWII as well. As much as I would like to see something like a Bush War era squad with an accompanying Alouette to deploy them I can't see it being commercially viable. Sticking to a boxed figure format vs gear sets also limits pickup on the retailer side. Something the brands should think about more with the more niche subjects.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

Canadian soldiers, please! And it would be nice to see them extend their aviator series to more historical test pilots. Bell X-1, X-3, X-15, Mercury and Gemini.

thanks for all the great suggestions. Loving seeing the responses!

www.hellblazer.biz

They can do their history line, but I'd like to see their take on Joker.
    "Impossible is just a stage." Chris Hadfield

Anything IDF (especially 1973 Yom Kippur War, Six Day War, and 1956 Sinai War). Also 1960s-era US astronauts and Soviet Cosmonaut and general 1950s-1980s Cold War-era military (US, USSR, UK, France, West Germany, Warsaw Pact). Anything WWII (other than German...it's been well overdone already),WWI (Allies or Central Powers this time including Germany), or 19th to pre-WWI 20th Century (Napoleonic Wars, Crimean War, and through the Age of Imperialism especially 1879-1913).

Alberta, Canada, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy...

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Let me be the one to resurrect the call for the Canadian soldier in Afghanistan, both historical, and shamelessly ignored. Other countries could be addressed as well, right up to today, but the patient, faithful Canadian soldier has waited far too long.
    What he said.

Next year is the 100th aniv. of the end of WWI and there has been no attempt at all from any company to honer the event. Vietnam and modern and even IDF have all gotten some love in the past year and WWII will always see something but WWI? I thought that with the Battlefield game that would garner some interest but the crickets are chirping. Maybe if they would do a silly Sucker Punch take on it we might get something. I would love to see a Canadian version done or how about a Turk or Aussie. Chirp Chirp Chirp.

Jeff (Geppetto)

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post

Couldn't agree more! (obviously )

I'm still not holding my breath, though - there seems to be a much larger market for other "unusual" subjects ('Nam, Russians etc - even the Spade or whatever it's called series) and look how long it took those to get produced. A series of ISAF infantrymen, following on the lead of their excellent British soldier(s), would be great - Canadian, Dutch, French, German, etc. Say what you will about American forces but all US SOF units can be made with ease with current offerings, with plenty of AOR1 and multicam-themed figures available; USMC and Army grunt figures are also well-covered territory.

I'm thinking a Canadian will be made, eventually, if only when DAM has run out of other "Afghanistan" concepts.
    Last edited by Canuck; 04-05-2017 at 19:09.