Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Looking for 1/6 British/Falklands comms

Question Looking for 1/6 British/Falklands comms

I'm new to this hobby, and I've decided I'd like to tackle "The Yomper."

I've sourced almost everything I need, but I'm having a helluva time trying to accurately identify the Yomper's comms, the radio he's schlepping on his back, to which is attached the flag that makes the whole photo "An Iconic Photo."

I'm assuming it's a Clansman unit of some kind, maybe a PRC-344 (seems to be about the same size), but I just can't say for sure.

Once I identify it, I've got to go find someone or something who sells a very small plastic version of it - or a reasonable facsimile.

Can anyone help out?Looking for 1/6 British/Falklands comms-heading_into_port_stanley-jpg

Re: Looking for 1/6 British/Falklands comms

I've done quite a bit of Falklands bashing and have never seen a radio. This would be a cool figure for DAM to produce.

I was surprised to find no studio (that I know, anyway) hadn't done a "proper" Yomper. Dragon of course did the Para, Graham, which is still kinda cool, but of course the Yomper himself was a Marine Commando. What's more, IIRC Graham's Union Jack is just sticking out of his pack, instead of attached to an aerial. Gotta bash one out!

I found a large, somewhat grainy version of that pic - https://i2.wp.com/www.defensemediane...it=1600%2C2379 - and a slightly smaller, crisper version - https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/....jpg?strip=all

Here's a crop shot -

Are you planning on having it beneath his other gear, as in this shot, or out on top?
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I would try for beneath, which could open up some less rigorous options. I imagine it'd be a little easier to cover up if that were the case. I don't see he's wearing a rack/frame for anything.

I'm still sketching out some of the gear on his back, for that matter. I'm seeing his 58-pattern webbing with, I'm guessing, a poncho roll, and a bedroll up top. I'm not sure I see a Bergen bag. If you've got any ideas, I'm all ears.

If only these guys had had the presence of mind to bring along a gigapixel camera!

LOL, I think that camera and cell phone camera capabilities have changed a lot since then, as well as the acceptability of troops carrying video helmet cams and the like. I google-image searched the Clansman system and the UK/PRC-344 set. There's quite a few shots of a tubular frame, and even a rubberized bag for the radio, but the Marine RTO doesn't seem to have either, as you say. The set is dimensionally different, as well as having a different layout of knobs, from US backpack radios. Short of creating a complete radio model, I believe a body shape, antenna, and handset would suffice, beneath a pile of gear. The 344 has some large knobs on its front, near the top. Those could be done, for a bit more of the look.

He doesn't appear to have a ruck, and the fellow Marine ahead of him looks to have a similar load, and perhaps a middle size rubberized bag as well. Yet the Marines entering Port Stanley carry large Bergens and other gear, stacked high.

Here is a close side view of the statue of "The Yomper", at the Royal Marines Museum -

On it, the radio appears smaller, and on the back of the foam role. In the picture of the Marine RTO, there appears to be a separate pouch where the statue shows a radio. I wonder if it was a smaller model than the 344 set, or an error on the research.

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Mail UK
    The shot was taken in June 1982 as the Marines approached Port Stanley, picking their way across a minefield. Suddenly, word came that the Argentines had surrendered and another Marine produced the flag, which Robinson strung from an aerial in his pack. A Navy photographer spotted him and an image was born.
    and from Wikipedia:
    When news of the surrender of Argentine forces was received, Corporal Brennan produced a small Union bunting flag from his bergen (Proffed from SS Canberra's bunting locker). Marine Fraser first tied the flag to Corporal Brennan's radio aerial, which eventually blew off. It was then fixed with masking tape to the radio aerial of Corporal Robinson (who was the last man in the patrol). The photograph itself was entirely spontaneous and not staged. The original Union Flag was returned to Corporal Brennan in Stanley, who has it in his possession to this day.

The image was used as the inspiration of a statue[7] that was unveiled by Margaret Thatcher on 8 July 1992 on the 10th anniversary of the conflict. It now adorns the entrance to the Royal Marines Museum in Southsea.
    You are
    What you do

Yeah, the statue's radio rig looks odd. I've also seen our mystery comms depicted as a first-aid kit - with aerial - in some smaller porcelain/earthenware "gift shop"-type representations.

I think I'm gonna proceed pretty much as you suggest. I'll pick up some other small-ish personal role comms, paint/obscure them, and then say I didn't... and then write emails to companies begging them for British comms from the period. Weird that there's such a dearth of choices.

Radio could be Clansman UKRT320/1

Looking for 1/6 British/Falklands comms-manpac_rt320-jpg

It looks as though the Marine has the radio behind the bed roll and the battery in front with what looks like strapping or cables keeping them from slipping off... or not :s

Going by the statue that's the radio type, and that was used in '82.

Ding-Ding! I think I've got the winner here. The Clansman PRC 350.

The form factor's right, the specs say it can be fitted with a two-meter antenna, which may be a bit longer that what the Yomper has in the original photo.

But, interestingly, it has the "cross" shape worked into the metal on the back, just like the statue.

If he's NOT hauling a Clansman PRC-350, I'll eat my hat. This has to be it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for 1/6 British/Falklands comms-d_725-jpg   Looking for 1/6 British/Falklands comms-d_432-jpg  

This seems a real possibility, but fate can be cruel, you may want to check out hat recipes, LOL.

On a slightly more serious note, I have emailed the RM Museum, asking them if they might have information on the particular model of radio carried by RM Cpl Peter Robinson. I also believe he is still out and about, and if he could be contacted, might be able to settle the matter.
    You are
    What you do

In one of those yin and yang moments, I received an almost immediate reply, which noted that an answer to my query would take about 30 days. Understandable, as they are not a research facility. Still, hope springs eternal.
    You are
    What you do

Still, amazing they got back like that. That's awesome!

I've posted this question on ARRSE and RumRation, so should get some definitive answers.

[Edited to add]

It's already been done - some info here - Falklands phot 'The Yomper' - which radio? | Army Rumour Service

(Ignore all the stuff about the awesomeness of the SLR, it's a long-standing running joke on ARRSE).
    Last edited by ActionMan; 03-10-2017 at 22:58.

Sweet! Those guys seem all but certain it's a PRC350, that he's got the battery stashed down the front of him somewhere (for warmth!) and that the whole shebang is improvised/lashed to his bedroll.

I picked up a set.of.Dragon personal comms to see if I can cannibalize - might end up getting two of them, unless someone knows where a 1/6 PRC 350 is lying around.

There's some more info here -

Error!

(The link does work!)

Well, that's good enough for me. I guess the only question is... Where to find something passably similar?

Like I said, I picked up a set more recent comms from Dragon, but maybe something Vietnam-era, small like the PRC350, would be better, or more suited to adapting.

Thanks for all the help on this. What a great forum!

Being a colonial, I read the whole ARRSE thing, but could not discern a majority answer, tho admittedly the radio carried was low-priority in all of the jawboning. Tho smaller, the slightly higher resolution pic looks like it might be a radio set, rather than another pouch, on the back of the foam roll. I tried searching out Cpl Robinson , and the most recent thing I found had him down a bit, unfortunately. Did not seem like the thing to do, trying to bother him.

When out at a local location of the Half Price Books stores, I nabbed an older copy of a Brassey's book, SPECIAL FORCES WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT, by James Marchington ($2 on a rear area clearance shelf!). Just to add more to the conversation -

"Among many of the soldiers who used the newly introduced Clansman equipment during the Falklands campaign in 1982, there was considerable enthusiasm.Gone were the problems of 'netting in' and the constant sound of static in the operator's ears. The PRC-349 section radio was reliable and with its throat microphone enabled section commanders to communicate easily while handling a weapon, notebook or map. The PRC-351 manpack platoon radio was lighter, at 8.2kg, and more reliable than its predecessor. This led to platoon and company commanders carrying radios, which meant that command and control became faster and more reliable.
    I wonder if the DML PRC-126 might be visually close to the -349 > DML Modern Knives & Radios

The -351 seems considerably larger, both the main body, battery, and the perhaps added modules.
    You are
    What you do

Oooh, that looks like it might just do nicely, especially with the handset. On the RM Marines Museum statue, the handset looks like it's coming over his shoulder to be tucked into the left breast pocket of his smock. Just have to steal or fashion a flexible aerial.

I heard as well that Cpl Robinson, the Yomper himself, had fallen on some less than happy times. I'd read he was living with his sister in Wiltshire, seeing to the care and feeding of an... Argentine(!) show pony.

Will the BBI Allen RM radio work with some fixing?

Found this other pic looks like a 350 maybe?

Great refs, AMO. So good to see you again. I'd been thinking about the lack of big rucks in the picture of Cpl Robinson, and then I looked at a longer shot of the file. Up front are what looks one or more Hägglund Bv206 carriers. Perhaps the Rucks of these Marines were tossed in/on to a track, for the march.
    You are
    What you do

Quote Originally Posted by TheEditor View Post
    I was surprised to find no studio (that I know, anyway) hadn't done a "proper" Yomper. Dragon of course did the Para, Graham, which is still kinda cool, but of course the Yomper himself was a Marine Commando. What's more, IIRC Graham's Union Jack is just sticking out of his pack, instead of attached to an aerial. Gotta bash one out!
    That is correct, Dragon Graham's flag is a printed cloth Union Jack on a metal rod that you stick into the pack. I took mine out when it started to fade.