Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Spaceship walls

Spaceship walls

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to recreate a metal looking interior of a spaceship? I guess you could do the old metallic paint over foam board, but I am curious if there are other options. Thanks!

Re: Spaceship walls

that's what I've done for my Trek stuff

what type space ship are you making?

Something generic to post my Star Wars figures against. I think a "blockade runner" type of white hallway would be too difficult to reproduce, so I'm just looking for a generic hallway that could represent any interior in the Star Wars universe.

Quote Originally Posted by onesixfaninus View Post
    Something generic to post my Star Wars figures against. I think a "blockade runner" type of white hallway would be too difficult to reproduce, so I'm just looking for a generic hallway that could represent any interior in the Star Wars universe.
    Look:
    1:6 Star Wars Environments?

Just gonna throw some generic weathering tips at you, since this is totally dependent on the ship type. For "blockade runner " type ships, it's all about white acrylic. Star Destroyer and Death Star can use black foam board and the appropriate " Star Wars" type cutouts. For freighters and "well worn" vessels dry brushing with greys, blacks and a limited amount of metallic paints is good. All of it can be augmented with real metal like brass or aluminum tubing from the hobby stores. I scored 6 toe kick panels for commercial doors at a buck each. They are pre drilled, brushed finish and make nice inserts for long runs ( 36" = 18' in scale ). I have also made great use of these techniques:
    Steampunk Painting Techniques: Copper - YouTube
    Painting Techniques Iron or Steel - YouTube
    Hope it helps!
    Q: What did Yoda say during his performance review at McD's ?

A: Judge me, by my fries, do you ?

Yeeeears ago I made a simple and very weathered wall out of random bits and pieces - I wrote it up as a kind of mini tutorial if that's any help?

Last Alliance Studios: 1:6th scale Sci Fi background...

Someone once suggested a camping sleeping mat with ribs. A little white paint and it might work
    Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?

Lynkheart fantastic stuff there...love the wall, thanks for providing the link
    " and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:
    http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cru...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Lynkhart View Post
    Yeeeears ago I made a simple and very weathered wall out of random bits and pieces - I wrote it up as a kind of mini tutorial if that's any help?

Quote Originally Posted by crusader1xxx View Post
    Lynkheart fantastic stuff there...love the wall, thanks for providing the link
    i have returned to this tutorial MANY, MANY times as it is a premium example of spaceship wall building! Every sci fi 1/6 fan should check it out !

That is outstanding work my friend. I book marked that one for sure. Great job.

AFM

Excellent. Really fantastic tutorial there.

I got these at the local dollar store a few years ago. I wanted to use them to create the illusion of a larger ship. I'm no artist and what I know about perspective would'nt fill a thimble, still I think you might get what I am shooting for with this mockup. The largest one is, perhaps, two sizes too small to be the transition piece, so I am going to have to make a couple, but at least I like the shape and I have a few pre-made.
    Spaceship walls-img_3377_zpsu7znf9ub-jpg
    Spaceship walls-img_3376_zps7lkvghrq-jpg
    Spaceship walls-img_3374_zps0htmi8er-jpg

Speaking of ship and space station walls, the appearance of GTP's 1/6-scale wall panels is supposed to be imminent. In the meantime, I scanned their actual 1/12-scale wall panel versions (for 6" figures) on the flatbed of a scanner/printer and printed them out almost double in size for the background of my Hot Toys Rogue One Stormtrooper review (see HERE, with a link to the full review on Michael Crawford's site). The only reason I did not just double the size, is that the biggest printable sheet I could use on the available printer was just a little too small. But I think it worked out ok for a background. Of course, if you are going to do something more-up close or focused with the background, you might need a more sophisticated solution than that. I suppose another possibility is to scan and blow-up the size, then cut out the shapes with an X-acto knife, and use them to make thin foamboard or foamie shapes cut to the same shape, which would give your background actual depth. But I didn't have the time or patience and, in this instance, the need to do that.

@gubernatorfan - What's GTP?
    "If symptoms persist... insult your doctor."

Quote Originally Posted by rollotomasi View Post
    @gubernatorfan - What's GTP?
    I had to Google that too... I think it's these: GTP Shop

@rollotomasi
    Just like Plastique said. Galactic Trading Shop. There is also Hole in the Ground Productions, but they make backgrounds for the smaller 3.75 inch figures. You could do the same with those, and they also have a blockade runner environment but that is too undulated to scan/copy directly from the face of the copier, so it would require taking a photo and blowing up that.

@shazzdan
    Thank you for posting these. Some of them are great and probably usable, even at 1/6 scale.
    However, https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1d0e9b02f2.jpg is exceedingly incorrect in detail (even if it conveys the basic ambiance).
    The Diorama Workshop files are really excellent, but are sized for 3.75 inch figures. I made myself several Death Star environments with the files provided there (including the gun bay, the command room, and a couple of hallways; had to customize some details in Corel Draw) and they look great, even if they are just flat printouts mounted on foamboard. But unfortunately the resolution is very low (I imagine so that enough of these files could be uploaded on the website), so these would look very fuzzy if you just blow up the size (unless you find a way to compensate for the resolution or re-create them in a graphic design program).

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiacivan View Post
    i have returned to this tutorial MANY, MANY times as it is a premium example of spaceship wall building! Every sci fi 1/6 fan should check it out !
    Aww, thanks guys! :3

I really need to do more with my sci-fi figs so I have an excuse to make more dioramas but I just don't have the space to keep them. I'd love to make them for people, but again, ironically 'space' is the big problem!

Speaking of which though, I've got a few big sheets of polystyrene from packaging with what looks like a big spaceship window on one section, and another that could be an excellent airlock with a bit of work. I'd really like to do something with it, but here's a quick mockup of what it could be like, to give you guys some ideas!

IMG_7608 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

IMG_7610 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

IMG_7612 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

...aaaaand five minutes in photoshop later...

mockup by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

mockup2 by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

If you want something super rusty and weathered looking then this might be an idea too. This is literally just a battered side from a cardboard box, complete with scrapes of glue that wouldn't come off. I gave it a blast with some primer, then some silver spray paint...

Corridor WIP by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

...then finally sponged on some orangey brown paint for rust. Ignoring drying times it's a ten minute job and as it's just card, is pretty cheap and cheerful too.

Wow - these are all terrific ideas! Thanks everyone!

If you want something super rusty and weathered looking then this might be an idea too. This is literally just a battered side from a cardboard box, complete with scrapes of glue that wouldn't come off. I gave it a blast with some primer, then some silver spray paint...

...then finally sponged on some orangey brown paint for rust. Ignoring drying times it's a ten minute job and as it's just card, is pretty cheap and cheerful too.

Nice, looks more like old factory corrugated iron - really effective though

Not sure about cheerful, but that simulated rusted metal background is very effective! Great job!

Spaceship walls-spacediorama-003-jpgSpaceship walls-spacediorama-012-jpg
    I made this one with styrofoam, foam core, tupperware, TV dinner trays, pieces of broken toys, and some wire.

Looks great to me Rainbow... not too complex in appearance so it doesn't overpower the figure

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowAvenue View Post
    Spaceship walls-spacediorama-003-jpgSpaceship walls-spacediorama-012-jpg
    I made this one with styrofoam, foam core, tupperware, TV dinner trays, pieces of broken toys, and some wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by plastique View Post
    Looks great to me Rainbow... not too complex in appearance so it doesn't overpower the figure
    Very nice. The detail that is present is just enough. Well done !