Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Does anyone have the Special Force Arms FAMAS? Opinions wanted.

Does anyone have the Special Force Arms FAMAS? Opinions wanted.

I recently picked up a loose BBI French Paratrooper on eBay and I need a replacement for the damaged FAMAS. The M203 trigger guard is broken, which isn't a big deal as I don't plan to use it but the bipod legs are missing as well. I've seen images of the FAMAS with the bipod legs removed but I don't want to go that route. I'm aware that the BBI FAMAS is generally considered to be the best but they are a bit hard to find now. I could repair the BBI one that I have but I would need a donor weapon to supply the missing bipod legs. The Furuta and Armoury versions can be found on eBay for less than $10 shipped to supply the needed parts but for about $15, I can get the Special Force Arms FAMAS that was released several years back. I searched the forums and while the weapons were discussed ("Special Force Arms" weapon sets), I couldn't find any mention by anyone that had the FAMAS. I'm not too sure of what era or locale I would bash the figure from but I'm pretty sure that I want an FAMAS F1 and I would most likely not use the FELIN parts from the SFA weapon. I did a lot of searching and found some good images of the weapon but I've been fooled by nice pictures before. So I would like to ask if any of you guys have it and what your thoughts are? Below are some of the images that I found.

Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

Re: Does anyone have the Special Force Arms FAMAS? Opinions wanted.

HI! I owned both Special Force sets and I can say they are relatively good weapons. Fine moldings, no rought materials and a level of detail comparable to Dragon. M4/M16s even came with metal magazines. But a couple of them are undersized, specially the shotgun and the M60. I think FAMAS was also a bit smaller, like 1/6.5. I already have a BBI FAMAS and comparing both of them the BBI won. So I sold the Spec Force one. Dont get me wrong, that is a good weapon but the BBI is more detailed. Never seen the Furuta FAMAS in person, but from pics I think Spec Force is a step above in quality.

Re: Does anyone have the Special Force Arms FAMAS? Opinions wanted.

Thank you for your reply but after waiting about a week with no responses to my question, I made the decision to go ahead and purchase one of these. It's actually not bad, though I do have some issues with it. It scales out fairly well in comparison to the BBI FAMAS with the overall length being just a few millimeters shorter. Overall though, it's actually a bit beefier than the BBI piece. The comparison of details is a mixed bag. There's something odd about the shape of the forward part of the upper receiver (under the carrying handle), in that it seems to angle in too sharply toward the top where it should be a bit more flat. However, in some places it looks better than the BBI weapon. I think the primary optic looks more detailed on the SFA weapon and the selector switch on the bottom of the butt just behind the magazine is present but is missing on the BBI piece. I believe that the BBI piece for the most part has the superior small details like the charging lever and the small piece that's forward of it. Also, the BBI weapon has a much more detailed ejection port and port cover. The port cover appears to be a separate piece whereas it's molded in on the SFA piece. As for the ejection port, on the real weapon, it can be configured for right or left hand shooters by flipping the port cover around. On the SFA weapon the molded in port cover is permanently configured for a left handed shooter with the ejection port on the left side. To change it to the right side would require major modifications. That's something that I didn't notice in the photos and that I never saw commented on by anyone in the few forums where I could find these weapons mentioned. Also, one of the bipod legs keeps falling off and is too loose to stay in the stowed position. I only have two figures that require a FAMAS but I have the damaged BBI piece, this SFA piece and the one by Armoury that I have in use with my Armoury Foreign Legion para. The Armoury weapon isn't bad but it has a few issues as well. What I will probably wind up doing is sacrificing the SFA piece to repair my BBI weapon and to add a few detail to my Armoury weapon.
    Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"