Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: US Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP

US Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP

One of those things that start off small and grew overnight, the original concept was a simple deck section and flat painted facades that could be changed and stored easy.Whilst researching i started to get interested in the Swift boats ,as there narrow i thought i,d give the aft section a go its about 31 inches wide.So i decided to add a section that would be level with the Pilot house and fit it out with parts that would be correct and some artistic license of course. There is still a bucket load to do, like the 50 cal and mortar twin mount, also going to make a third section to extend the back cabin by 8" just to give it some depth for photos. The idea to make it in sections allows me to transport it and store it and i can add to it or use sections to build up other backgrounds. I live near the beach and a creek so the idea is to take shots with the sea or creek on a table set up in the shallows. Here,s some pics i set up this arvo' , enjoy. US Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-16-15-39-04-jpgUS Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-16-15-47-49-jpgUS Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-16-15-37-11-jpgUS Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-16-15-44-47-jpgUS Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-16-15-54-12-jpgUS Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-16-15-54-34-jpg

Re: US Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP

That's some impressive construction, and now we know where that medical cabinet went. I'm gathering that the "artistic license" is the height of the aft superstructure?
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

This is just.....Wow! I am gabberflasted!
    Q: What did Yoda say during his performance review at McD's ?

A: Judge me, by my fries, do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    That's some impressive construction, and now we know where that medical cabinet went. I'm gathering that the "artistic license" is the height of the aft superstructure?
    Yes correct. To be honest the whole thing has been built around the humble cabinet at the LH/side. That was going to be a part of a figure i,m working on, so the Swift boat idea came after the back section was built. It may not be actual, but certainly believable as modifications where made to standard Naval craft to suit the needs of operation in Vietnam, some boats were fitted out with big loudspeakers for Pysch-Ops others with heli pads & mini hospitals. The good thing about this is i can change or add as i need or want.Thanks PD, now time to shed it an work on the fire hose.Cheers

Thanks Pontiacvan, Found some bits for the fire hose, should work out thought i,d take a workshop pic as the bench kinda looked 1:6 at the time, ha ha i,m nuts!US Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-17-19-06-37-jpgUS Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-17-19-13-18-jpg

Decided to change the structure a little, looks a little more believable. Gotta work on the armament and details.US Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-21-05-23-06-jpgUS Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-21-05-37-04-jpgUS Navy Patrol Craft Fast (Swift Boat) inspired boat section 1:6 WIP-2017-02-21-06-14-30-jpg I,ll post more when it,s completed thanks.

That is a beautiful diorama... and the fire hose is a very clever idea... what is the hose itself, looks like a thick shoe lace?

Love the uniform too... reminds me of the old Action Man 1st issue Sailor, only better.

Quote Originally Posted by plastique View Post
    That is a beautiful diorama... and the fire hose is a very clever idea... what is the hose itself, looks like a thick shoe lace?

Love the uniform too... reminds me of the old Action Man 1st issue Sailor, only better.
    Hello Plastique, Thanks for the comments and taking the time. I,ts funny because i tried shoelaces but a bit thin for this fire service, so i found some Kero' Lamp wicks just need to sew them together the nozzle is made up from a bleed valve from a commercial gas cooker and the end of a coax antenna connection, coupling is off a gas hose. My first GI Joe in the sixties was a Sailor so the Navy thing has stuck , the uniform is Dragon but with modifications to the fly and pocket flaps removed i also took the sides of the shirt in a little and the same to the Pants and dyed them navy blue then faded them with some sand paper. Not much you can do with a sailor, unless he has a boat or something to fire. Again thanks for the interest.

Wonderful stuff... Might nick that hose technique for a Blitz fireman. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by plastique View Post
    Wonderful stuff... Might nick that hose technique for a Blitz fireman. Brilliant!
    Nick away me mate! Look forward to seeing it.