Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Is it now forbidden to discuss controversial figures on OSW?

Re: Is it now forbidden to discuss controversial figures on OSW?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Hey that's great!
    Good job

Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    No need for an apology. My skin isn't that thin so no feelings were harmed. When discussing these figures, I get the part that people want to make jokes but those jokes tend to stray into political territory. As an example, a few post after yours, SPEARHEAD mentioned that no one would want a "nasty" Hillary figure. That's just a bit over the line.

@SPEARHEAD - Seriously? Was that comment really necessary?
    So an interesting thing has happened with this thread. I think that we have all shown we can more or less discuss this figure without discussing the individual it is modeled after on a personal level. I'm going to stick my neck out here and go ahead and comment on it. After looking at numerous images on the Interenet, I can HONESTLY say it is VERy well done. The head sculpt's are superb, allowing the characteristic pout without over exaggerating it and extremely fair and flattering to President Trump.The hair is molded, so no Tribbles for me, but again it is SO WELL done. The suit looks to be Grade A quality with the American flag pin having nice sharp details. The hat and choice of tie colors are a nice option, with the ties looking a lot friendlier than what I have seen in the past. I cannot tell via pictures if they are molded or real fabric because they look so good. Rounding it out are a michrophone, cardboard podium and a set of hand gestures. The hands themselves look somewhat rubbery, but it is unlikely to matter for most and someone's standard hand probable fits if more realism is needed. I noticed that the pricepoint is well in line with a figure of this nature ( presidential/collectible/memorabilia ). Is this a figure I want? No. It doesn't fit my collection/story/ interests. Is this a well made figure? Based solely on what I have seen on the net, it is extremely well made, as well as being very complimentary to the President. I think if a person was a Presidential figure collector, this would belong in their collection 100%. Hopefully, I did not offend anyone with these observations.
    Q: What did Yoda say during his performance review at McD's ?

A: Judge me, by my fries, do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by SPEARHEAD View Post
    C'mon dude, seriously I thought it was obvious that 'nasty' bit was just a tongue-in-cheek jab nothing more.
    Trump called her that during the campaign, and that was really unnecessary and unpresidential.
    You do realize that 'nasty' label is considered a badge of honor by millions of women who support Hillary.
    She was unfairly maligned, IMHO.
    Tongue-in-cheek or not, that and your follow up post goes straight into political territory. I could post a rebuttal to your comments but that would be political as well, so I won't go there. Enough of that kind of thing gets threads shut down.
    Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

For any presidential purposes outside the actual headsculpt, the PopToys House of Cards figure would be really good to work from -- the body, the podium with the POTUS seal, the two flags including the POTUS flag. I'm not sold on the Spacey likeness but I like everything else about it. You could get a decent Trump out of it except for the head of course, and the tie is too short and isn't red.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Tongue-in-cheek or not, that and your follow up post goes straight into political territory. I could post a rebuttal to your comments but that would be political as well, so I won't go there. Enough of that kind of thing gets threads shut down.
    That's your prerogative.
    You should offer a rebuttal, why not?

I understand you may be afraid to see it shut down, either that or we can just let this thread fade away it don't matter to me...
    Last edited by SPEARHEAD; 02-16-2017 at 23:28.

For any presidential purposes outside the actual headsculpt, the PopToys House of Cards figure would be really good to work from -- the body, the podium with the POTUS seal, the two flags including the POTUS flag. I'm not sold on the Spacey likeness but I like everything else about it. You could get a decent Trump out of it except for the head of course, and the tie is too short and isn't red.
    The podium is a keeper. The POTUS Seal if detachable could be used in variety of ways- like what they use on the stage everytime the President visited the troops overseas.

"Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Ok,this thread has gone stupid...as far as I'm concerned, Scimitar asked a valid question...why cant we discuss a 1/6 figure, controversial or not...i think if its kept within the 1/6 realm it should be acceptable...i mean,when is the last time anyone here watched a protest on tv and saw a sign saying "And I hate your 1/6th figure too"...NO ONE brings 1/6 into politics so why should some dirt bag bring politics into 1/6? and, yes,i realize some people just want to start trouble...people who arent strong enough to take care of themselves in real life, i have very DEFINITE opinions about the state of this country and the world, for that matter,but i dont think they belong in a forum dedicated to1/6th scaling...in my opinion,most of the responses went way off into left field...he asked a simple question that requires a simple answer...that answer "should" be "Yes we can"..."Yes,we can discuss ANY figure based solely on its merits regardless of personal opinion on the person it was based on"...but,then again, maybe i drink too much...

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Ok,this thread has gone stupid...as far as I'm concerned, Scimitar asked a valid question...why cant we discuss a 1/6 figure, controversial or not...i think if its kept within the 1/6 realm it should be acceptable...i mean,when is the last time anyone here watched a protest on tv and saw a sign saying "And I hate your 1/6th figure too"...NO ONE brings 1/6 into politics so why should some dirt bag bring politics into 1/6? and, yes,i realize some people just want to start trouble...people who arent strong enough to take care of themselves in real life, i have very DEFINITE opinions about the state of this country and the world, for that matter,but i dont think they belong in a forum dedicated to1/6th scaling...in my opinion,most of the responses went way off into left field...he asked a simple question that requires a simple answer...that answer "should" be "Yes we can"..."Yes,we can discuss ANY figure based solely on its merits regardless of personal opinion on the person it was based on"...but,then again, maybe i drink too much...
    --

I've been contemplating taking up drinking.

How much liquor can I get in trade for a 1:6 figure?
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Let's talk about figures...

The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

From me? None...i don't share..BUT I would have to imagine that you could "trade out" some of your 1/6 females for a bit of,oh I don't know, Wild Turkey or Ole Grandad and maybe,JUST maybe, if you break out your better figures, some Everclear....muahahahaha

From me? None...i don't share..BUT I would have to imagine that you could "trade out" some of your 1/6 females for a bit of,oh I don't know, Wild Turkey or Ole Grandad and maybe,JUST maybe, if you break out your better figures, some Everclear....muahahahaha
    --

Screw it.

I'll stop by ABC Liquors and buy some good stuff . . . by the case.

By the case? I like how you think...may have to get to Florida this year...muahahaha

Let's talk about figures...

OK it's official... SOMEONE already brought 1/6 into politics

ok, I stand corrected...at the time of my post I was not aware of these promo shots from the new movie "Barbie and Friends Do the White House"...My bad....does this mean I have to go back to "stick figure" drawing again? Fak, it took me so long the last time to work my way up to 1/6...

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    --

That depends.

If you got a Cyber Hobby 'Johnny Crash' Navy PT Boat Commander figure, I can get you $100.00 worth of giggle juice.
    If you got a 3R Japanese Commando figure, I can get you $200.00 worth.

But then again, we don't want to be perceived as promoters of alcoholism...

$100 worth of alcohol? That's nothing....$200? That's just a Friday night out...I like DFC's idea...by the case...

$100 worth of alcohol? That's nothing....$200? That's just a Friday night out...I like DFC's idea...by the case...
    I agree $100-$200 ain't much (I served in the military so I know that's not even a warmup during liberty) but then that's how much those 1:6 figures are worth on EBay.

Ok I've been told the 3R figure is actually worth $300 nowadays... so more liquor for DFC

OK it's official... SOMEONE already brought 1/6 into politics
    --

ACTUALLY . . .

If I remember correctly, BBI provided all or some of their 1:6 ELITE FORCE "Enduring Freedom" figures to George W. Bush while he was in office which he had displayed in the Oval Office for a period.

Speaking of liquor . . .

I wonder if anyone created a worthy cocktail drink inspired by 1:6?

That's your prerogative.
    You should offer a rebuttal, why not?

I understand you may be afraid to see it shut down, either that or we can just let this thread fade away it don't matter to me...
    Why not? Because to do so would be exactly counter to the reason that I created the thread.
    Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

Why not? Because to do so would be exactly counter to the reason that I created the thread.
    We managed to keep the thread civil, express opinions, disagree and even discuss the figure. This was Scimitar's original intent. I see no reason to take it down a path we have been trying to avoid.

Discuss the figures, not the controversy.

Everyone here knows I love to joke and I made one about The President's hair and about using the figure to make a celebrity impersonator, but not about character. I got the joke about "Nasty" Hilary, and it was clever, but that was a piece of political trivia and not part of this thread. It is the very thing we are trying to avoid so we can continue to review figures based on people we might not care for personally.

--

--

Screw it.

[/I]

That depends.

If you got a Cyber Hobby 'Johnny Crash' Navy PT Boat Commander figure, I can get you $100.00 worth of giggle juice.
    If you got a 3R Japanese Commando figure, I can get you $200.00 worth.

But then again, we don't want to be perceived as promoters of alcoholism...
    I agree $100-$200 ain't much (I served in the military so I know that's not even a warmup during liberty) but then that's how much those 1:6 figures are worth on EBay.

Ok I've been told the 3R figure is actually worth $300 nowadays... so more liquor for DFC
    As far as this conversation goes, the formula is :

% of alcohol by volume = # of points of articulation

Quality of booze=approximate market value of head sculpt

Number of bottles= number of hands figure comes with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiacivan View Post
    We managed to keep the thread civil, express opinions, disagree and even discuss the figure. This was Scimitar's original intent. I see no reason to take it down a path we have been trying to avoid.

Discuss the figures, not the controversy.

Everyone here knows I love to joke and I made one about The President's hair and about using the figure to make a celebrity impersonator, but not about character. I got the joke about "Nasty" Hilary, and it was clever, but that was a piece of political trivia and not part of this thread. It is the very thing we are trying to avoid so we can continue to review figures based on people we might not care for personally.
    Well,go ahead review and discuss it more.
    I could only discuss so much about this figure just by looking at promo photos.

Carry on, discuss...

Your thread inquired "Is it now forbidden to discuss controversial figures on OSW?"

3 pages- your question may have been answered already...

--

ACTUALLY . . .

If I remember correctly, BBI provided all or some of their 1:6 ELITE FORCE "Enduring Freedom" figures to George W. Bush while he was in office which he had displayed in the Oval Office for a period.
    BBI made a George W Bush figure dressed in the flight gear we wore when he made his grand entrance before his "Mission Accomplished" speech.

"Controversial Figures" . . .

I started in the 1:6 hobby back in 1998.

21STCT started around 1998 and began to ramp their brand/identity in 1999. One of their anticipated 1:6 offerings at the time was a realistic "terrorist"/"villain" wearing a black trench coat. Call it bad circumstances and timing, but the horrific Columbine school occurred around the same time.

The figure was planned to be stocked by big box retailers . . . initially. Due to the tragedy, the figure never saw light of day retail and caused a business set back to 21STCT. A few online retailers offered it discreetly. For a while, the figure was considered a "commodity" in terms of trending where some took advantage of its notoriety and it supposedly fetched outrageous prices.

Just a random remembrance.
    Yeah, that really sucked. The figure was actually based on the North Hollywood bank robbery. The fact that it hit retailers 2 days after the horrific events at Columbine was sad timing.

The figure was redressed with the green jacket and released about 2 years later. The original was released to select e-tailers about 4 years after the initial release.

The Mad Bomber would have been even cooler if I could have persuaded Legal to include the Nixon caricature mask.

And back to discussing 1/6th Presidents...
    It's a fabulous time to be collecting in 1/6th scale!

--

Screw it.

"Peace through superior firepower".

Well,go ahead review and discuss it more.
    I could only discuss so much about this figure just by looking at promo photos.

Carry on, discuss
    Considering that this thread was never meant to be a place to discuss the Trump figure...

Your thread inquired "Is it now forbidden to discuss controversial figures on OSW?"

3 pages- your question may have been answered already...
    Perhaps my question has been answered and the thread has served it's purpose. Is that supposed to mean that it's time to go political and get it shut down? I have more respect for the staff and other forum members than that.

[QUOTE=Scimitar;4785653]Considering that this thread was never meant to be a place to discuss the Trump figure...

Ok then why didn't u put a stop to it the moment one of us started discussing the Trump figure? Threads like this tend to veer off in many directions if you ever noticed.