Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: PoP Toys British Detective

PoP Toys British Detective

This is my first try at doing a review like this so go easy. I figure photos for the most part are better then me rambling on in words so this is a bit pic heavy. This figure I think kind of flew under the radar for most people as I only saw the preview pics and not much else even after it was released.

Overall I give it a solid 8/10. And if your a fan of the show or SH in general, a must buy. Why? well 3 reasons.

1st the head sculpt is really well done and looks like the actor. paint aps are excellent and they nailed the expression.
    2nd. the body. Pop Toys is one of those companies out there with out a proprietary body, and have chosen wisely in picking the "COO" body to go with. Sturdy design, nice tight joints and great articulation. and
    3rd. The clothing. This figure is a little light on accessories, hence the chair (as part of the boxed set) but the clothing is fantastic. All buttons are real, working buttons, cloth shoes, well tailored to the body, and a 2 long coats (one with a cape) are included. The seems are nice, no loose threads and the material has a heavy quality feel to them. The only thing to nit pick would be the top hat, its a softer plastic then real felt, but to me it works and looks the part.

Overall I am very pleased with this figure and for the price under $130 at most places, it falls into the inexpensive category.

On the pictures...

outer box design

Rear of the box, lists the contents

Side of the box

Inner flap

Whats inside?

Clothing with working buttons

Cloth and leather shoes or is it pleather?

a little light on the accessories....pocket watch, pipe and a couple of gloved hands.

Whats this...a chair.

Made of plastic with one pleather material seat cushion.

actually it comes with 2 cushions. One worn which is hard plastic, the other like new with material covering foam

But they seem to have missed a spot...I guess its easier to get the foam inside like this but...really?

Constantine and BW seem to like it..

Like I said, overall its a great figure, wish they added just a few more accessories but for the price, I am not going to complain.
    " and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:
    http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cru...?sort=3&page=1

Re: PoP Toys British Detective

not bad at all!

Looks pretty good.

Wow, that's a nice alternative the BC one. Head sculpt looks really nice, too. You can definitely tell who it's suppose to be. And the price tag isn't bad, either.
    http://LaSirenofEire.deviantart.com

Thank you for the review and photos.

That looks to be a pretty nice figure and you did a fine job representing it.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Looks good, the main point being that you are happy with it. I agree, it's a good sculpt, and a good choice of bodies, imo. The period clothing is really nice. I'm glad you like it, Andy, and I think your assessment is quite fair.

I wonder if they have considered a John Watson?
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Wow, good work here. Looks almost exactly like the prototype. Only real problem I have is with the top hat, but that looked bad with the proto as well.

Just reignites my frustration with Big Chief(I know that's a bit of a dead horse). The third party company without a license doing a better job than the company with the license. And for $100 less(and please no one tell me the license adds $100 to the cost of making the figure - that's hogwash).

Maybe PoP toys can do a 'British Secret Agent' figure next...

Good looking figure,

CGL are doing a Watson, though he's in modern gear.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    I wonder if they have considered a John Watson?
    Here I go again, answering myself - CGL TOYS MF08 1/6 scale Dr. Detective H Collectible Figure dr.watson sherlock

Tho Watson is dressed in current fashion. Not a big hill for a climber.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Thanks for the review crusader1xxx!

Maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't this originally advertised as coming with an Inverness cape/cloak as well? Actually... yeah, I see the cloak mentioned on the side of the box. Did you get one?

thebreen. Yes I did get the cloak, it's in the back part of the box and is excellent, just didn't have a picture of it
    " and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:
    http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cru...?sort=3&page=1

I'm aware of the show but I've never watched it. I do have an interest in the Victorian era though and this looks like a really nice figure. At first I was thinking that it might make a great base for a real detective from the era like Frederick Abberline (from the Ripper case) or Jerome Caminada (the man that many say Holmes is actually based on) but after looking at some historical images of Abberline and a few other detectives, I believe that the clothing is much too dapper for a real working detective of the time. Some of the images of Abberline show him dressed down right shabbily. I could easily see this figure as a politician or wealthy business man of the era with a new sculpt, perhaps older and with facial hair such as mutton chops or a handlebar mustache that were in style at the time. Sadly this would never fit into my collection.
    Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"