Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

Hi,

I recently obtained a German infantry soldier in supply duty from the company called 'Figure Home'. I had no idea about this company, perhaps Dragon's copycat or ex-subcontractor. Out of curiosity I decided to build this one. The result was a bit disappointing, no better than Dragon.
    The body was similar to Dragon but its articulation was so flimsy that I spent a great deal of time to fix it. The collar rank insignia was decal and easily peeled off so I had to paintbrush the insignia myself. The belt was Luftwaffe's so I had to replace it with Heer's. The collar of the greatcoat was a way too big though the coat fabric was not bad. Overall it is not too bad but needs a great deal of time to fix it.

I wanted to add a sleeve rank insignia 'Stabsgefreiter', but hardly found the good reference photos. There were some soldiers who wore the insignia on the coat sleeve but most had none. So I decided not to add it. Instead I added the panel underneath the collar which fastens the both collars to protect the wind.

I replaced the HS with Liam Neeson and repainted it and also replaced the hands and gloves.

He wore M36 tunic in the early war and was supposed not to be much engaged in combat against heavy resistance during the invasion of Norway. So I did very light weathering on him.

In April 1940, the division participated in the German invasion of Norway. A small party of soldiers from the unit landed at Egersund where they seized the telecommunications cable linking Norway with mainland Europe, encountering no significant opposition. A further 900 soldiers from the division were put ashore near Bergen where they captured the defensive fortifications (which had fired on the approaching German ships) as well as the city after engaging Norwegian forces in combat. The largest element of the division, some 5,000 soldiers in 250 transport planes, landed at Sola airport after it was seized by German paratroopers. The division then captured the nearby city of Stavanger. After the successful Norwegian Campaign, the 69th Infantry Division remained in occupied Norway until November 1942.(from Wikipedia)

Thank you for browsing.

Best regards,
    William

WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0014-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0018-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0020-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0024-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0026-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0034-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0039-jpg
    Last edited by jily; 07-05-2017 at 00:00.
    May-2015 KotM

Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

William

I love your sculpt work! Posing per your norm is great! Another superb effort!

Cya
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

Can I borrow your Magic Wand sometime? You make everything look so perfect and real.

Tho it may have been a bit poor as an offering, you have made it quite acceptable.

Turner Classic Movies just showed 1943's Edge of Darkness, about an occupied Norwegian village. The big fight at the end was very Hollywood, but the rest was a pretty good look at enduring occupation. There was some interesting detail about the German commander, frustrated at his "backwater" garrison assignment, and the unhappy soldiers, taking out their anger on the locals.

A nice example of an "uninvited guest".
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

William, beautiful figure, I like the work you have accomplished here. Great details on his uniform and an exceptional job in painting the head sculpt.........Jim

very nicely done.

Very nice work !I especially like the coat .There's a lot of Lian Neeson head sculpts around,so who makes this one?
    For he that spends his money on 1/6 figures with me shall be my brother

Quote Originally Posted by peakfans View Post
    very nicely done.
    Thank you peakfans!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho gijoe View Post
    Very nice work !I especially like the coat .There's a lot of Lian Neeson head sculpts around,so who makes this one?
    Thank you gijoe! As far as I know it is from HeadPlay. You can easily find it at Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by farnhamja View Post
    William, beautiful figure, I like the work you have accomplished here. Great details on his uniform and an exceptional job in painting the head sculpt.........Jim
    Thank you jim!

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Tho it may have been a bit poor as an offering, you have made it quite acceptable.

Turner Classic Movies just showed 1943's Edge of Darkness, about an occupied Norwegian village. The big fight at the end was very Hollywood, but the rest was a pretty good look at enduring occupation. There was some interesting detail about the German commander, frustrated at his "backwater" garrison assignment, and the unhappy soldiers, taking out their anger on the locals.

A nice example of an "uninvited guest".
    Backwater garrison? I agree.
    Thank you pukingdog!

Quote Originally Posted by delusional View Post
    Can I borrow your Magic Wand sometime? You make everything look so perfect and real.
    You mean my little trick?
    I am sure you have your own skills. Thank you for your compliment delusional!

Quote Originally Posted by HDHSVI View Post
    William

I love your sculpt work! Posing per your norm is great! Another superb effort!

Cya
    Hankster
    Thank you Hankster!
    May-2015 KotM

looks great! Maybe a little early for Y straps. For sure too early for the Y straps with the white stitching around the grommet that holds the short strap. Easy fix there blackening the white stitching. This white stitching was to hold a piece of leather behind the grommet, so the metal would not rub on the uniform. These began to reach the troops around 1944 iirc.
    November KOTM graphic 2-kotm1-jpg 2005

Hallo!

Well done!

NOT a criticism or a negative but... the flat and cupped butt plates on the K98k were not blued but left "bright."

(Yeah, it always bothered me as it seems "counter-productive" to be bare metal when put on the ground so much...)
    Kurt

Hallo!

Early versions came in in April of 1939 but only for mounted and transport.

"Koppeltragegestell für Infanterie" did not become common until 1941. Aluminum fittings to steel switched in 1940. The details of the basic design were changed a bit in 1942-1943 such as the adjustment method for auxiliary straps from a stud to a slide, and the rivet cover stitching was simplified. Manufacturer differences in the size and type of D-rings and hooks are known.

k
    Kurt

Brilliant work!

Another superb example of your craft, William!

David
    My Trade Feedback

"I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

superb!love your style.

Hallo!

Love the work!

And here I go again... with history but not criticism...

Riveted ammo pouches came out in 1942.

k
    Kurt

very nice

Really nice work on improving the figure, and thanks for the history to make him really stand out. When I was 11, I went to Norway with my Dad, and we went to Stavanger. I remember the war memorials (and even tank obstacles) and wish I understood it better then. Thanks for posting!
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

Quote Originally Posted by egonzinc View Post
    looks great! Maybe a little early for Y straps. For sure too early for the Y straps with the white stitching around the grommet that holds the short strap. Easy fix there blackening the white stitching. This white stitching was to hold a piece of leather behind the grommet, so the metal would not rub on the uniform. These began to reach the troops around 1944 iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt-Heinrich1917 View Post
    Hallo!

Well done!

NOT a criticism or a negative but... the flat and cupped butt plates on the K98k were not blued but left "bright."

(Yeah, it always bothered me as it seems "counter-productive" to be bare metal when put on the ground so much...)
    Hallo!

Early versions came in in April of 1939 but only for mounted and transport.

"Koppeltragegestell für Infanterie" did not become common until 1941. Aluminum fittings to steel switched in 1940. The details of the basic design were changed a bit in 1942-1943 such as the adjustment method for auxiliary straps from a stud to a slide, and the rivet cover stitching was simplified. Manufacturer differences in the size and type of D-rings and hooks are known.

k
    Hallo!

Love the work!

And here I go again... with history but not criticism...

Riveted ammo pouches came out in 1942.

k
    Thank you guys for the info on the historical accuracy.

If I recap the comments,

That particular type of Y-strap may not be used in early war-time 39-40. Perhaps from 43 onwards.

The butt plate of K98k should be bright metal. Is it applied to all K98k or only to early versions? A lot of reference photos show blackened plates. Are they wrong?

The riveted ammo pouch was also not available until 42.

Can you recommend any books I can refer to with regard to the ww2 equipments and uniforms?

Thanks!
    William
    May-2015 KotM

I learned somthing here... Rivets on the ammo pouches!
    As for reference books:

Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army by Angolia and Schlicht, published by Bender.
    Three volumes, not cheap, but very complete. They also have a series of LW, SS and KM. Maybe you can get them used... Well worth the money.
    As for the Y straps, the early I would not use unless post Barbarossa(summer 1941) this type with white stiching I would say summer of 1944. But without the stiching, ok for 1941.
    The cavalry y straps were different, no short strap for A frame(similar to LW FJ y straps)
    On the buttplate, news to me, will check...

Another beauty William!!

Jay

November 2015

I checked my references and it does mention the ammo pouches having sewn and riveted straps(vertical and horizontal lised as variations too), but it does not mention them as early or late war or gives any dates. So as far as I'm concerned the riveted ammo pouches are fine throughout.

Nothing on the butt plate color. It only mentions that the quality and finish deteriorated thought he war and that eventually in 1945 they even made a version without the bayonet lug and without the the cleaning rod. Interesting variation for a super late type.
    Last edited by egonzinc; 02-08-2017 at 20:19.

FROST VISION STUDIO (Santi & Mary Frost): Sculpting, Painting, Tailoring, Casting, Restoration, Customizing. https://www.facebook.com/FrostVisionStudio

It really is not bad I like

Quote Originally Posted by egonzinc View Post
    I checked my references and it does mention the ammo pouches having sewn and riveted straps(vertical and horizontal lised as variations too), but it does not mention them as early or late war or gives any dates. So as far as I'm concerned the riveted ammo pouches are fine throughout.

Nothing on the butt plate color. It only mentions that the quality and finish deteriorated thought he war and that eventually in 1945 they even made a version without the bayonet lug and without the the cleaning rod. Interesting variation for a super late type.
    Wow, thank so much for your reply, egonzinc.
    I'll have a look at the books you recommend.
    Cheers,
    William
    May-2015 KotM

Hallo!

Yes, at the end of 1944, the K98k was "simplified' over the objections of the General Staff to increase production numbers. It was called the Kriegsmodell K98k. It was also part of a plan to boost the Stg 44 (auto assault rifle) and have the K98k increasingly used to arm the Volkssturm.

Among manufacturing changes... the bayonet mount was deleted as was the cleaning rod (ramrod), the nose cap was stamped instead of milled, the bolt take-down was eliminated in favor a simpe small hole at the bottom of the butt plate, and part were phosphated instead of blued.

For further interest, I would recommend Richard Law's "Backbone of the Wehrmacht: The German K98k Rifle 1934-1945." from Collector Grade Publications.

Here is a Kriegsmodell on top:

k
    Kurt

Hallo!

Yes, at the end of 1944, the K98k was "simplified' over the objections of the General Staff to increase production numbers. It was called the Kriegsmodell K98k. It was also part of a plan to boost the Stg 44 (auto assault rifle) and have the K98k increasingly used to arm the Volkssturm.

Among manufacturing changes... the bayonet mount was deleted as was the cleaning rod (ramrod), the nose cap was stamped instead of milled, the bolt take-down was eliminated in favor a simpe small hole at the bottom of the butt plate, and part were phosphated instead of blued.

For further interest, I would recommend Richard Law's "Backbone of the Wehrmacht: The German K98k Rifle 1934-1945." from Collector Grade Publications.

Here is a Kriegsmodell on top:

k
    Wow thank you for the images, Kurt!
    So the bottom one is an early version?
    They all have the bright metal butt plates indeed.
    May-2015 KotM

Hallo!

In brief...

Pre 1940 made K98k's had flat butt plates. As prime wood got scarcer, they went to laminated stocks and the larger aka "cupped' butt plates were thought to better protect them. However, flat butt plates trickled on in 1941.

No, all five of them are 1944 dated Mausers. The last one, made by Sauer & Son, is kind of a later War "Frankenstein Mauser" with bolt take down feature, unstained laminated stock, bayonet mount, cleaning rod, stamped magazine assembly and bands, but milled floor plate. Barrel is finished like an MG34 barrel with grooves at the muzzle. No serial number.

k
    Kurt

Hallo!

References can easily fill a book case and empty a bank account.

For a decent pocket guide, I would recommend "German Combat Equipment 1939-1945" by Jean-Philippe Borg. (Sample below).

For more money, I would recommend the hardbound " Deutsche Soldaten: Uniforms, Equipment & Personal Items of the German Soldier 1939-1945" by Agustin Saiz.

Although not 100% "perfect" Saiz makes a nice 1:6 modelling guide as it covers not just equipment but pretty much "everything."

From Borg:

k
    Kurt

beautiful figure bro!!

namaste
    miguel

(3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)