Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    493

    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Hi,

    I recently obtained a German infantry soldier in supply duty from the company called 'Figure Home'. I had no idea about this company, perhaps Dragon's copycat or ex-subcontractor. Out of curiosity I decided to build this one. The result was a bit disappointing, no better than Dragon.
    The body was similar to Dragon but its articulation was so flimsy that I spent a great deal of time to fix it. The collar rank insignia was decal and easily peeled off so I had to paintbrush the insignia myself. The belt was Luftwaffe's so I had to replace it with Heer's. The collar of the greatcoat was a way too big though the coat fabric was not bad. Overall it is not too bad but needs a great deal of time to fix it.

    I wanted to add a sleeve rank insignia 'Stabsgefreiter', but hardly found the good reference photos. There were some soldiers who wore the insignia on the coat sleeve but most had none. So I decided not to add it. Instead I added the panel underneath the collar which fastens the both collars to protect the wind.

    I replaced the HS with Liam Neeson and repainted it and also replaced the hands and gloves.

    He wore M36 tunic in the early war and was supposed not to be much engaged in combat against heavy resistance during the invasion of Norway. So I did very light weathering on him.

    In April 1940, the division participated in the German invasion of Norway. A small party of soldiers from the unit landed at Egersund where they seized the telecommunications cable linking Norway with mainland Europe, encountering no significant opposition. A further 900 soldiers from the division were put ashore near Bergen where they captured the defensive fortifications (which had fired on the approaching German ships) as well as the city after engaging Norwegian forces in combat. The largest element of the division, some 5,000 soldiers in 250 transport planes, landed at Sola airport after it was seized by German paratroopers. The division then captured the nearby city of Stavanger. After the successful Norwegian Campaign, the 69th Infantry Division remained in occupied Norway until November 1942.(from Wikipedia)

    Thank you for browsing.

    Best regards,
    William

    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0014-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0018-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0020-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0024-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0026-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0034-jpg
    WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940-img_0039-jpg
    Last edited by jily; 07-05-2017 at 00:00.
    May-2015 KotM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    1,247

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    William

    I love your sculpt work! Posing per your norm is great! Another superb effort!

    Cya
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lexington, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Can I borrow your Magic Wand sometime? You make everything look so perfect and real.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Apparently, some alternate universe
    Posts
    40,957

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Tho it may have been a bit poor as an offering, you have made it quite acceptable.

    Turner Classic Movies just showed 1943's Edge of Darkness, about an occupied Norwegian village. The big fight at the end was very Hollywood, but the rest was a pretty good look at enduring occupation. There was some interesting detail about the German commander, frustrated at his "backwater" garrison assignment, and the unhappy soldiers, taking out their anger on the locals.

    A nice example of an "uninvited guest".
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    469

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    William, beautiful figure, I like the work you have accomplished here. Great details on his uniform and an exceptional job in painting the head sculpt.........Jim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    China
    Posts
    123

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    very nicely done.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Lexington Park MD
    Posts
    179

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Very nice work !I especially like the coat .There's a lot of Lian Neeson head sculpts around,so who makes this one?
    For he that spends his money on 1/6 figures with me shall be my brother

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    493

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Quote Originally Posted by peakfans View Post
    very nicely done.
    Thank you peakfans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho gijoe View Post
    Very nice work !I especially like the coat .There's a lot of Lian Neeson head sculpts around,so who makes this one?
    Thank you gijoe! As far as I know it is from HeadPlay. You can easily find it at Ebay.

    Quote Originally Posted by farnhamja View Post
    William, beautiful figure, I like the work you have accomplished here. Great details on his uniform and an exceptional job in painting the head sculpt.........Jim
    Thank you jim!

    Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Tho it may have been a bit poor as an offering, you have made it quite acceptable.

    Turner Classic Movies just showed 1943's Edge of Darkness, about an occupied Norwegian village. The big fight at the end was very Hollywood, but the rest was a pretty good look at enduring occupation. There was some interesting detail about the German commander, frustrated at his "backwater" garrison assignment, and the unhappy soldiers, taking out their anger on the locals.

    A nice example of an "uninvited guest".
    Backwater garrison? I agree.
    Thank you pukingdog!

    Quote Originally Posted by delusional View Post
    Can I borrow your Magic Wand sometime? You make everything look so perfect and real.
    You mean my little trick?
    I am sure you have your own skills. Thank you for your compliment delusional!

    Quote Originally Posted by HDHSVI View Post
    William

    I love your sculpt work! Posing per your norm is great! Another superb effort!

    Cya
    Hankster
    Thank you Hankster!
    May-2015 KotM

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    looks great! Maybe a little early for Y straps. For sure too early for the Y straps with the white stitching around the grommet that holds the short strap. Easy fix there blackening the white stitching. This white stitching was to hold a piece of leather behind the grommet, so the metal would not rub on the uniform. These began to reach the troops around 1944 iirc.
    November KOTM graphic 2-kotm1-jpg 2005

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    721

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Hallo!

    Well done!

    NOT a criticism or a negative but... the flat and cupped butt plates on the K98k were not blued but left "bright."

    (Yeah, it always bothered me as it seems "counter-productive" to be bare metal when put on the ground so much...)
    Kurt

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    721

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Hallo!

    Early versions came in in April of 1939 but only for mounted and transport.

    "Koppeltragegestell für Infanterie" did not become common until 1941. Aluminum fittings to steel switched in 1940. The details of the basic design were changed a bit in 1942-1943 such as the adjustment method for auxiliary straps from a stud to a slide, and the rivet cover stitching was simplified. Manufacturer differences in the size and type of D-rings and hooks are known.

    k
    Kurt

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,245

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Brilliant work!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Warrenton, VA
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Another superb example of your craft, William!

    David
    My Trade Feedback

    "I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    20

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    superb!love your style.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    721

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Hallo!

    Love the work!

    And here I go again... with history but not criticism...

    Riveted ammo pouches came out in 1942.

    k
    Kurt

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    elk grove ca
    Posts
    2,203

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    very nice

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,274

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Really nice work on improving the figure, and thanks for the history to make him really stand out. When I was 11, I went to Norway with my Dad, and we went to Stavanger. I remember the war memorials (and even tank obstacles) and wish I understood it better then. Thanks for posting!
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    493

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Quote Originally Posted by egonzinc View Post
    looks great! Maybe a little early for Y straps. For sure too early for the Y straps with the white stitching around the grommet that holds the short strap. Easy fix there blackening the white stitching. This white stitching was to hold a piece of leather behind the grommet, so the metal would not rub on the uniform. These began to reach the troops around 1944 iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt-Heinrich1917 View Post
    Hallo!

    Well done!

    NOT a criticism or a negative but... the flat and cupped butt plates on the K98k were not blued but left "bright."

    (Yeah, it always bothered me as it seems "counter-productive" to be bare metal when put on the ground so much...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt-Heinrich1917 View Post
    Hallo!

    Early versions came in in April of 1939 but only for mounted and transport.

    "Koppeltragegestell für Infanterie" did not become common until 1941. Aluminum fittings to steel switched in 1940. The details of the basic design were changed a bit in 1942-1943 such as the adjustment method for auxiliary straps from a stud to a slide, and the rivet cover stitching was simplified. Manufacturer differences in the size and type of D-rings and hooks are known.

    k
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt-Heinrich1917 View Post
    Hallo!

    Love the work!

    And here I go again... with history but not criticism...

    Riveted ammo pouches came out in 1942.

    k
    Thank you guys for the info on the historical accuracy.

    If I recap the comments,

    That particular type of Y-strap may not be used in early war-time 39-40. Perhaps from 43 onwards.

    The butt plate of K98k should be bright metal. Is it applied to all K98k or only to early versions? A lot of reference photos show blackened plates. Are they wrong?

    The riveted ammo pouch was also not available until 42.

    Can you recommend any books I can refer to with regard to the ww2 equipments and uniforms?

    Thanks!
    William
    May-2015 KotM

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    I learned somthing here... Rivets on the ammo pouches!
    As for reference books:

    Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army by Angolia and Schlicht, published by Bender.
    Three volumes, not cheap, but very complete. They also have a series of LW, SS and KM. Maybe you can get them used... Well worth the money.
    As for the Y straps, the early I would not use unless post Barbarossa(summer 1941) this type with white stiching I would say summer of 1944. But without the stiching, ok for 1941.
    The cavalry y straps were different, no short strap for A frame(similar to LW FJ y straps)
    On the buttplate, news to me, will check...
    November KOTM graphic 2-kotm1-jpg 2005

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,476

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Another beauty William!!

    Jay

    November 2015

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    I checked my references and it does mention the ammo pouches having sewn and riveted straps(vertical and horizontal lised as variations too), but it does not mention them as early or late war or gives any dates. So as far as I'm concerned the riveted ammo pouches are fine throughout.

    Nothing on the butt plate color. It only mentions that the quality and finish deteriorated thought he war and that eventually in 1945 they even made a version without the bayonet lug and without the the cleaning rod. Interesting variation for a super late type.
    Last edited by egonzinc; 02-08-2017 at 20:19.
    November KOTM graphic 2-kotm1-jpg 2005

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    MT, USA
    Posts
    208

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    FROST VISION STUDIO (Santi & Mary Frost): Sculpting, Painting, Tailoring, Casting, Restoration, Customizing. https://www.facebook.com/FrostVisionStudio

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    860

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    It really is not bad I like

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    493

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Quote Originally Posted by egonzinc View Post
    I checked my references and it does mention the ammo pouches having sewn and riveted straps(vertical and horizontal lised as variations too), but it does not mention them as early or late war or gives any dates. So as far as I'm concerned the riveted ammo pouches are fine throughout.

    Nothing on the butt plate color. It only mentions that the quality and finish deteriorated thought he war and that eventually in 1945 they even made a version without the bayonet lug and without the the cleaning rod. Interesting variation for a super late type.
    Wow, thank so much for your reply, egonzinc.
    I'll have a look at the books you recommend.
    Cheers,
    William
    May-2015 KotM

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    721

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Hallo!

    Yes, at the end of 1944, the K98k was "simplified' over the objections of the General Staff to increase production numbers. It was called the Kriegsmodell K98k. It was also part of a plan to boost the Stg 44 (auto assault rifle) and have the K98k increasingly used to arm the Volkssturm.

    Among manufacturing changes... the bayonet mount was deleted as was the cleaning rod (ramrod), the nose cap was stamped instead of milled, the bolt take-down was eliminated in favor a simpe small hole at the bottom of the butt plate, and part were phosphated instead of blued.

    For further interest, I would recommend Richard Law's "Backbone of the Wehrmacht: The German K98k Rifle 1934-1945." from Collector Grade Publications.

    Here is a Kriegsmodell on top:



    k
    Kurt

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    493

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt-Heinrich1917 View Post
    Hallo!

    Yes, at the end of 1944, the K98k was "simplified' over the objections of the General Staff to increase production numbers. It was called the Kriegsmodell K98k. It was also part of a plan to boost the Stg 44 (auto assault rifle) and have the K98k increasingly used to arm the Volkssturm.

    Among manufacturing changes... the bayonet mount was deleted as was the cleaning rod (ramrod), the nose cap was stamped instead of milled, the bolt take-down was eliminated in favor a simpe small hole at the bottom of the butt plate, and part were phosphated instead of blued.

    For further interest, I would recommend Richard Law's "Backbone of the Wehrmacht: The German K98k Rifle 1934-1945." from Collector Grade Publications.

    Here is a Kriegsmodell on top:



    k
    Wow thank you for the images, Kurt!
    So the bottom one is an early version?
    They all have the bright metal butt plates indeed.
    May-2015 KotM

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    721

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Hallo!

    In brief...

    Pre 1940 made K98k's had flat butt plates. As prime wood got scarcer, they went to laminated stocks and the larger aka "cupped' butt plates were thought to better protect them. However, flat butt plates trickled on in 1941.

    No, all five of them are 1944 dated Mausers. The last one, made by Sauer & Son, is kind of a later War "Frankenstein Mauser" with bolt take down feature, unstained laminated stock, bayonet mount, cleaning rod, stamped magazine assembly and bands, but milled floor plate. Barrel is finished like an MG34 barrel with grooves at the muzzle. No serial number.



    k
    Kurt

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Island of Misfit Toys
    Posts
    721

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    Hallo!

    References can easily fill a book case and empty a bank account.

    For a decent pocket guide, I would recommend "German Combat Equipment 1939-1945" by Jean-Philippe Borg. (Sample below).

    For more money, I would recommend the hardbound " Deutsche Soldaten: Uniforms, Equipment & Personal Items of the German Soldier 1939-1945" by Agustin Saiz.

    Although not 100% "perfect" Saiz makes a nice 1:6 modelling guide as it covers not just equipment but pretty much "everything."

    From Borg:



    k
    Kurt

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    the gritty streets of NYC
    Posts
    1,859

    Re: WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940

    beautiful figure bro!!

    namaste
    miguel

    (3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)

Similar Threads

  1. Matrosenobergefreiter, 2.Marine Infanterie Division, Bremen 1945
    By kltnikolas in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 13:58
  2. World at War | WWII Heer Infanterie Division Unteroffizier
    By jily in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 13:17
  3. German KSK-Winter Exercise Norway '03
    By SSG Felder in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 08:48

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940
WW2 German 69. Infanterie Division Norway 1940
KGHobby...Click Here!
Urban Samurai Hobbies...Click Here!
Vlad's Toys...Click Here!
BlackOps Toys...Click Here!
Alien Day Ultimate Giveaway - Join the Hunt!
HobbyLink Japan...Click Here!
Cotswold Collectibles...Click Here!
The ToySource...Click Here!
Big Bad Toy Store...Click Here!
Timewalker Toys...Click Here!
ToyWiz...Click Here!
Nouveau Toys...Click Here!
Gremln...Click Here!
Urban Samurai Hobbies...Click Here!
Toynk...Click Here!