Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Another project vehicle!

Another project vehicle!

I've been trying to acquire all the 1/6 vehicle built that fit my WW2 time period,one of the ones I've been watching for is the M8 Greyhound,I hate to spend the kind of money they usually go for because there are so many things that need to be fixed,but recently I found one that was missing the front doors and the turret for $40! I'm going to turn it into a M-20 so the missing turret doesn't bother me at all.
    I think I now have all the 1/6 vehicle that I can use as WW2 scenery.
    I'm sure someone else has modified one of these things,I would love to see some pictures of what you did.
    Last edited by 47lincsled; 02-08-2017 at 04:36.

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.

Re: Another project vehicle!

Keep us posted!

This vehicle is a actually a couple of vehicles down the line. I was hoping I could get some other people here that have already done a rebuild on one of these to chime in with there modifications. But I will post pictures when I do get around to fixing it.

Will this be R/C?

No,strictly static,I'm not into the whole RC thing,my vehicles are more for diorama use.

I never got one of these, but the comments I remember is that it was very under scale.
    Check out the dimensions.
    The M20 was 16.40 feet, which translates to about 196 inches, in 1/6 that would be a bit over 32 inches long.
    November KOTM graphic 2-kotm1-jpg 2005

Like a lot of Hasbro vehicles, I think the M8 and M20 were a bit underscale. Not sure it could be stretched easily. To me, that is counterbalanced by how well done they were. That's a great find.

The real M20 was a great vehicle, that could carry out multiple missions. They gave the cavalry a scout platform, which could recon, resupply troops and other vehicles while protecting the crew, and give flexibility to defense. The M2 .50 cal. that some carried, had a dismounted capability. According to TOEs, they also had one or two bazookas, with rockets. Working with M8s, M8 howitzers, M5 Stuarts and gun jeeps, it meant the Cav Troops could tear up larger, non-panzer elements.

As a kid, I'd get my dad to take an alternate route when we were in the Rosedale area of KCK. A scrapyard there had a rusting M20, and I would stare at it thru the fence, believing one day I would own it. Years later it was gone, and I hope it found a home, instead of a sad end. Maybe that's the one that an area PD added a fixed, armored cupola, and a long ram to.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I haven't received this one yet,I'm waiting for the guy to get me a shipping cost,but I know going in they were out of scale,but then again almost all of them are,but to me it's a good starting point,just like the scout car and half-track. It's really sad they didn't put just a little more work into these things,but I guess good enough is good enough!

I think they were caught between "It's just a toy!" (smaller scale, less material) arguement, and the design/build guy(s) being unable to accept that they were only toys.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I'm reading this thread and you can be sure I'll be following it. I've got one (M8) that I'm saving as, quite frankly, I' don't know much about 'em and would like to learn more before I start. I asked earlier if you considered making it R/C as again I'm up in the air as to whether to do the same. If for no other reason then it's wheeled (not tracked) is what makes converting it appealing.

Pukindog's comment ("It's just a toy") really is an important consideration and, quite simply, a great comment worthy of it's own thread. I mention this as with each vehicle I put together I am forced to consider how close I want it to resemble an actual vehicle and at the same time remember that it will indeed be "Played with" (translated - driven into a wall/curb/table etc....). Ok, I'll stop there as I recognize I'm goin' off course. I will ask however that some "Artistic License" be allowed me when (if) my M8/20 is completed - with big bumpers added to the front/rear...

I was pretty upset when I got my half-track that 21st century made,having a real one to measure against made me realize just how out of scale they were,then the scout car they did was not the same as the half-track! My feeling on all of these is that as long as you are careful to not use them too close together most people will never know the difference.

Ever since I bought this I have been looking through my books and on google for ideas for it,I came across this picture and I think I have a winner! Instead of the round M-29 ring at the back of the passenger compartment they have some kind of square ring,I can't tell if they cut up the track from an M-2 half-track,or cut a round ring into quarters then added pieces of straight track from a half-track. I'll have to measure the ring on my half-track and see if that would even work! It may also have been two rear track sections from an M-2 half-track. So far this is the only picture I have found of an M-20 set up this way,if you have anymore I would love to see them.

Looks like a field modification.
    Maybe the regular puece was damaged and replaced. Maybe ut was the version with the turret, it was damaged and returned to service with these mods. Looks great!
    November KOTM graphic 2-kotm1-jpg 2005

I finally got it friday and have already started cutting it up! I just removed all the molded on tools and opened the turret ring up to the M-20 style. I have a great book that has scale drawings of most of the US military vehicles,it really comes in handy when you do stuff like this, I was able to figure out that this unit is 2 inches too narrow and 4 inches too short, it wouldn't be too hard to stretch it but I think it would mess up the proportions,so I'm leaving the body alone except for converting it to the M-20 and fixing all the little details. It came with a gun ring and I have already decided that I'm going to cut into quarters and make that square ring, first I have to finish the turret bunker!