Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: FLAGSET US Army 1st SFOD-D

FLAGSET US Army 1st SFOD-D

Model Number: 73005

Parts List:

• Real Like Headsculpture
    • 2.0 body
    • One Pair of Palms For Holding Weapon
    • One Pair of Palms For Gloves
    • Woodlands Battle Dress Uniform 4-Color
    • Black Tee
    • Underpants
    • Knee Pads
    • Belt
    • Okaly Desert boots
    • CQB Releasable Assault Vest with back panel
    • AVN9 Night Vison Binocular System
    • Mich2002 Helmet
    • Comtac Headset
    • MBITR Radio
    • TEA-E Duble PTT Set
    • Belt Type Headlamp
    • M4A1 Carbine
    • Knights Full-Floating RAS MRE System
    • Fishbone Grip
    • M4A1 Mag x4
    • M4A1 Flashlight
    • EO 551 Holo Sight
    • M4A1 Rifle Sling
    • Remington M870
    • Canister
    • Colt M1911 Pistol+ Pistol Lanyard
    • BLACK M1911 CQC Holster
    • CTS Flashbang
    • Sunglasses
    • The Sun, Wind, and Dust Goggle (SWDG)
    • Watch
    • Light Sticks x3
    • Badge
    • Combat Knife
    • Tac Scissors
    • Carabiner
    • Water Pipe
    • Tac backpack
    • Single M4 Mag Pouch
    • Triple Mag Pouch
    • Double Pistol Mag Pouch
    • Map Pouch
    • Adjustable Radio Pouch
    • Flashbang Pouch
    • Canister Pouch
    • Utilities Pouch(nylon)
    • Utilities Pouch(zipper)

Last edited by Crushader; 02-12-2017 at 06:48.

Re: FLAGSET US Army 1st SFOD-D

Good update of the SS version.

It would be nice to see them go beyond the two rifle molds they use for every release. Yawn.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

Cool loose bits, but overall the figure looks sort of clunky, like the arms can't be fully articulated or something.

Interesting. It is, as LoneWolf said, a nice update to the Soldier Story figure. Not sure if I want this one though. I still have the previously mentioned figure so probably leaning towards a pass.
    "Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum."
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus-

This is not the 1:6 "DELTA" figure we're looking for.

Move along.

The DAM CAG and E&S "DELTA" figures IMHO are still superior.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

This was the other figure they announced a while back. Never saw a notice from distributors so not sure if this will eventually make it out there. The earlier releases that were products Caltek had specced were at least a bit more interesting, even if half the parts fell apart. Not a fan of this cookie cutter style factory kitbash where they use as many existing parts to spin off into multiple so-so figures. The current model seems to be make a weapon then use it on the next 5-10 Very Cool/Flagset releases. The factory has shown they can do better, if not outstanding work on some items, would like to see them putting in more effort and paying attention to accuracy.

Looks like something which would work for modern military enthusiasts who've missed the boat, or were not around when Soldier Story did theirs. Certain re-use aside, the Woodland and OD mix is always sharp looking.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Looks like something which would work for modern military enthusiasts who've missed the boat, or were not around when Soldier Story did theirs. Certain re-use aside, the Woodland and OD mix is always sharp looking.
    --

Call me cynical and jaded, but I suppose the mindset of some collectors will justify and rationalize the usual premium pricing for flawed offerings (of which this set is definitely and obviously flawed) compared to a more modern/recent take on the same subject/theme.

I don't personally own any 1:6 offerings from FLAGSET (thus far) and to be honest at first glance this newest set piqued my interest given the subject/theme, but then why do I want to actually throw my hard earned money on this offering that is flawed and visually appears "clunky" like factory kitbash indeed?

I don't necessarily believe or say other similar offerings would have been considered a "factory kitbash" or "clunky".

If SOLDIER STORY themselves produced a 2.0 version of their own figure or even DAM producing 2.0 CAG operator or E&S producing another variant of their "DELTA" operator, they would have been worth the $ in terms of design and quality (for the most part) compared to the FLAGSET offering.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

I like the nude figure with head and hands. Really have no use for anything else.
    Happily collecting 1:6 modern military since 1998, and not a single HT figure ever bought...

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    There is definitely that and price point plays a factor as well as there is a butt for every seat, at a given price. Usually though these get opportunistically priced up when brought over here and the value bit diminishes.

But its the little things like this below that another user on BBICN pointed out where accuracy is going out the window and old stock sitting around the factory is being tossed in to check the box so to speak. I mean the Delta guy literally has the Eagle Aircrew shirt that dates back to the Soldier Story 160th SOAR figure. They tried to get rid of the stock of that on the Caltek ATACS figure, and now again here. On the 160th figure it made sense, here it makes none and you are literally getting a figure with parts that date back to 2011. Again these are nitpicky things and not everyone minds getting 5 year old parts if the price is right, but if you contrast that with the effort that other brands put into the details it stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    There is definitely that and price point plays a factor as well as there is a butt for every seat, at a given price. Usually though these get opportunistically priced up when brought over here and the value bit diminishes.

But its the little things like this below that another user on BBICN pointed out where accuracy is going out the window and old stock sitting around the factory is being tossed in to check the box so to speak. I mean the Delta guy literally has the Eagle Aircrew shirt that dates back to the Soldier Story 160th SOAR figure. They tried to get rid of the stock of that on the Caltek ATACS figure, and now again here. On the 160th figure it made sense, here it makes none and you are literally getting a figure with parts that date back to 2011. Again these are nitpicky things and not everyone minds getting 5 year old parts if the price is right, but if you contrast that with the effort that other brands put into the details it stands out.

--

Adam:

I guess some factories (brands) do focus on how many parts are reused specifically and not to end up like FLAGSET.

DAM reused a fair number of components with their modern Russian line over the past year, but the reuse of certain parts served a specific pattern and purpose with the modern Russian theme.

Maybe it's a matter of context and perception where some brands "know" they can't get away with re-using components from 2011 and they overall come up with "new"/"updated" components, but the history behind FLAGSET is due to obvious no $ for new/updated parts 100% and make do with bits and pieces in a design kitbash and hope most will be forgiving and/or overlook it on purpose, but not so . . . in FLAGSET's case where the little things do add up and make a difference . . . and not for the better.

From a 1:6 female figure perspective, the same "reuse" of head sculpts and body designs was observed with the CY GIRL Perfect Body line by BBI and when Merit took over the BBI distribution and product line.

I don't know about the M9 bayonet without a sheath shoved into the PALS webbing.
    I am not a slave to the box art layout!!
    Don't be so unkind.You may not survive to pass this way again,and these be the last friendly words you'll hear.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    --

Adam:

I guess some factories (brands) do focus on how many parts are reused specifically and not to end up like FLAGSET.

DAM reused a fair number of components with their modern Russian line over the past year, but the reuse of certain parts served a specific pattern and purpose with the modern Russian theme.

Maybe it's a matter of context and perception where some brands "know" they can't get away with re-using components from 2011 and they overall come up with "new"/"updated" components, but the history behind FLAGSET is due to obvious no $ for new/updated parts 100% and make do with bits and pieces in a design kitbash and hope most will be forgiving and/or overlook it on purpose, but not so . . . in FLAGSET's case where the little things do add up and make a difference . . . and not for the better.
    There is a bit of an art to reusing parts and keeping things both fresh and accurate enough. Soldier Story has done one of the better jobs (probably too good for some) with this over the years and DAM does it in a smart way where things still make sense for the given figure without the feel of random parts being thrown in. Another way of doing it as a compromise between accuracy and frequency is to throw in some several key new or desirable parts like an Easy Simple does for example. There is a bit of an art to what people like Ben Zheung and the owner of DAM have brought to the hobby. In some ways it feels like the research element is slowly going out the window these days.

The Flagset products on the other hand have just felt more like a collection of loose parts sitting around the factory left over from the likes of Caltek and other brands the factory has produced for over the years versus something they've sat down and said this should really appeal to collectors.

I have still not put together the Playhouse 5th Anniversary figure, but I have a list of modifications from a member who ran with those guys, and it is fairly lengthy. His descriptions were base on what he saw, and there were more than patches to be removed. He also offered alternate uses for some of the items removed, and in some cases, components might suffer only from color schemes.
    So what I am saying, is that even a figure that may be dialed in all accuracy-wise, there's that extra factor that happens in the field.

Another factor may be that Soldier Story had managed to develop a habit of posing and fitting their figures in a manner with showed them off to great effect. Flagset seems to have theirs posed very basically, a few steps beyond the "Visible Man" model-pose that DML used to do in their boxes. The assault vest in this set for instance, would benefit from some work on the pouch positions and fitting, and as said above, a bit of creative posing might eliminate much of the "clunky" impression.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Although it could be useful for people who missed the boat on the Soldier Story release, I will have to disagree that this is a good update to the SS version. It's pretty subpar. It might be worth it if you're desperate to have the Delta figure from this particular era.

The fit and material of the BDU seems off. The level of detail on the rifle is low. I'm noticing no detail on the eotech sight. The shotgun looks like something from 21C Toys. I wonder if the pump action functions. What stood out to me is the tri-pouch. It looks like it's sewn onto a big square instead of three individual pouches. This is something Soldier Story moved away from that they did in their earlier releases. Toy soldier used to do something like this as well.

The little knick knacks seem fine if you're looking to pick those up (head lamp, grenade, etc.). The boots look similar to ones made by Crazy Dummy. Like Flagset's previous figures, the boots are probably pretty good.
    Breaking tiny radios and sunglasses since 2006
    Sales Thread | Trade References | Want List

How much?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsc View Post
    How much?
    In China ~ 95 USD. Haven't seen US pricing yet, but I imagine the us distributor(s) will try to price it at $135 based on how the Marsocs got marked up.

Seems kind of lazy loadout-wise, and sure it's been done - but as some have said, it's good to have some more old-school parts on the market.

Not worth the price tag...
    I'm mean, nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round in a flea's ass at 200 meters.
    Gunny Highway

Updated with more pics

A USMC patch...? Really?

LOL maybe it was misplaced in the photo shoot!

There are some Marines in CAG but no chance they wear their USMC ID patches there
    I'm mean, nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round in a flea's ass at 200 meters.
    Gunny Highway

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    A USMC patch...? Really?
    More spare parts from the factory overstock pile. This character is shaping up to a beast, cross trained marine grunt, 160th air crew, and a tier one delta operator. Christ if only I had a resume like that.

The updated photos look much better, but I'm not sure it is going to address the lack of preorders the figure has gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    More spare parts from the factory overstock pile. This character is shaping up to a beast, cross trained marine grunt, 160th air crew, and a tier one delta operator. Christ if only I had a resume like that.

The updated photos look much better, but I'm not sure it is going to address the lack of preorders the figure has gotten.
    Ahahaha, I like the look of it on new photos as well, but accuracy and quality is a whole different story.

This 1:6 offering is the equivalent of going to bar and after about six drinks the woman you've been keeping eye on looks really desirable, but the reality is that she is not that desirable because she is a hot mess and not in a good way.

The MSRP is approximately $128.00 to $130.00 USD.

The release date is approximately 2ND QTR 2017 (likely towards the end).

SO . . .

Is it worth the $128.00 to $130.00 given its faults?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    The MSRP is approximately $128.00 to $130.00 USD.

The release date is approximately 2ND QTR 2017 (likely towards the end).

SO . . .

Is it worth the $128.00 to $130.00 given its faults?
    I think it will have a hard time selling at that price here. In China they are selling for sub $90 and even then there is limited demand. The much superior Marsoc figures they did previously had a tough time selling at that price and they are still trying to sell off that stock years later. Unless they have improved, the flagset bodies are generally a disposable body. The older era figures don't sell that well to begin with.

As a gear set at a lower price it might have some legs as that would cut the MSRP and take a chunk out of the freight costs that make up a reasonable portion of a given figure's MSRP. This is something more brands should take a look at as customers end up throwing out the floppy bodies and some of the dud gear that gets repackaged into every figure released.