Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 10 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.

Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.

Got two delivered today which was fast! Can't be said for the donor bodies that are coming from China I think but I've used the same body on many other tall builds, Phasma for example, the easiest one to get to was my modded Saruman figure so I've borrowed his for these pictures and to see what needs to be done. Not a lot as it happens, well when compared to turning one of the Hero/Titan figures into a fully articulated figure of the correct size i.e. the FO ST's. The helmet is the main problem, far too small, I know there are the Titanium series ones but they look a bit big in pictures. HAS ANYONE GOT A TITAN/HERO SERIES DEATH TROOPER? I NEED THE HELMET SIZE PLEASE!!. The only other option would be to merge the face plate of this helmet with an old Hasbro ST one, did something similar in the past for an undersized Commander Neyo helmet sculpt I needed to enlarge.
    The chest armour is indeed non-removable and makes up the entire torso but luckily just the torso. comes apart easily enough after removing two hidden screws on the back and then carefully prising apart the upper two plastic pins and top seams as they are glued together. The codpiece and butt plate armour are just glued on their belt in one place (on the side), the same with the grenade belt/abdomen armour (at the back); these fit fine on my donor figure. The long johns and sleeves of the under-suit (complete with nice ribbed effect which is much appreciated, you'll understand why if you've been following my War Machine MKIII thread ) fit fine due to being an elastic material and reach up to the figures midriff like on the original DS figure's body. The armour is mostly fine, it's rubbery which helps (thank goodness I don't have to try and paint it!) but the thigh armour will need to be expanded or the upper legs dremelled down. The torso armour will of course need a lot of Dremell work done and on the torso itself as this figure has crazy latts. The boots are tiny and only useful as "feet" to put inside other boots that luckily I have two matching sets of that were for a couple of Vader builds but I opted for the SSC versions instead so that's saved some cash as the cheapest I could find two pairs of Vader feet shipped was for 35gbp, just the foot sections! The hands are too small as well, I'll probably cut the armour plates off their backs to add to some spare HT Vader hands I have that conveniently just have the Velcro stickers exactly where those armour pieces need to go. The weapons will be fine for now.

SSC Black-Hole/Shadow Trooper helmet on the right.

Too big fortunately!

Just a rough guide to show the final figure will be around the correct 13"

My body for my DS upscale Rey just arrived, yes her breasts are too big, I'll fix that, I'm on a budget having too many expensive hobbies... the body was only 8gbp with free p&p.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 04-04-2017 at 11:29.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Re: Disney Store Death Trooper Upscale WIP 12/24/16

Looking good and promising... When I said in the other thread that the Disney Trooper would look good in itself but it was never gonna be an actual Star Wars Death Trooper, it was clearly implied "well, except for Shovelchop, of course..." Merry Christmas.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: I didnt even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.

so far so good. this should be a fun project. would await the final outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Looking good and promising... When I said in the other thread that the Disney Trooper would look good in itself but it was never gonna be an actual Star Wars Death Trooper, it was clearly implied "well, except for Shovelchop, of course..." Merry Christmas.
    LOL, cheers Moonbase! As usual it's all an experiment and fun...they do call me "Mr Perseverance" on my gun forum due to my unorthodox use of materials and building style to get the job done , also their own A-Team builder but never been quite sure if that's a complement or not, they say it is... Merry Christmas mate...I'll still be building...

Quote Originally Posted by rovot View Post
    so far so good. this should be a fun project. would await the final outcome.

Thanks rovot! I'm sure getting those chest pieces together will be interesting!
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you there.

Merry Christmas!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Looks like you've got your work cut out for you there.

Merry Christmas!

CHEERS!
    Merry Christmas Roger, wait, aren't we both atheists?

The helmet's the main conundrum not having any of the options in hand, just found this pic on eBay which makes me worried the Titan/Hero helmet might be too small as well, look at the close up compared to the Storm Trooper's helmet...might need to go the Titanium route after all..

Titanium v Elite/Premium

Arghh... my head hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    The helmet's the main conundrum not having any of the options in hand, just found this pic on eBay which makes me worried the Titan/Hero helmet might be too small as well, look at the close up compared to the Storm Trooper's helmet...might need to go the Titanium route after all..

Titanium v Elite/Premium

Arghh... my head hurts!
    That's why I put the Advil in the picture...
    The guidance counselor was surprised: I didnt even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.

That's why I put the Advil in the picture...
    I noticed that after I posted !

Good luck with your 1/6 guitar hunting tomorrow! Just finished surgery on Rey's chest using a Hasbro Leia figure's breasts, so I guess they must be related now

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

I think if anyone can pull it off, it is you!

Oh, and a very very happy religious christmas from this atheist to you!

(speaking of which, the mrs and I decided to skip the xmas tree this year and replaced with an inflatable t-rex. It is our Christmas Tree Rex!)

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    I think if anyone can pull it off, it is you!

Oh, and a very very happy religious christmas from this atheist to you!

(speaking of which, the mrs and I decided to skip the xmas tree this year and replaced with an inflatable t-rex. It is our Christmas Tree Rex!)
    Thank you and to you!
    You have to post a pic of the Tree Rex now! Sounds awesome!

A HUGE thank you to Moonbase for very kindly taking the time on his very busy Christmas day to measure the Titanium Black Series Death Trooper helmet for me and send me pics as I was in a builders' funk today! Thanks to him I now know these should fit fine

Thank you and to you!
    You have to post a pic of the Tree Rex now! Sounds awesome!
    Ask and ye shall receive: merry (t-re)xmas!Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-image-jpg

Ask and ye shall receive: merry (t-re)xmas!Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-image-jpg
    BRILLIANT!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-image-jpg  

haha glad you approve! Now I think I speak for all when I say that we eagerly await your deathtrooper build update pics

I eagerly await the money to pay for the helmets! Wednesday should be about right.

Could be good! Just hope there isn't a postal strike!

CHEERS!

Could be good! Just hope there isn't a postal strike!

CHEERS!
    Will be good I bloody hope!
    They said the postal strikes won't affect deliveries just local post offices.

Bugger! They only had one Death Trooper Black Series Titanium helmet left!! Now what am I supposed to do? Make a bloody cast I guess...That actually might be a blessing in disguise as the metal will be quite heavy for a 1/6 figure...hmm...

I have started dismantling my deathtrooper for an upscale also, but i need to get hold of the black series helmet too.

Bought a darth maul on ebay in order to use his cloak for my kylo ren as i had zero luck locating affordable and suitable fabric in stores, so when that arrives i can finish off the kylo.

Back on to the death trooper, i am considering options regarding the upper torso armour. My choices are as follows:
    1: modify a medicom shadow trooper torso armour (lots of modding required)
    2: shovelchop the disney figure torso into wearable armour (STOP! Dremmel time!)
    3: same as option 2 but using the titan hero figure torso (no obvious benefit there)
    4: transfer the upper torso to a taller 1:6 body (use it as is)

At the moment i am thinking option 4 will be least work, but perhaps not the best result. Option 2 will probably function best but maaaaan is that a lot of work!

Then i guess there is the secret 5th option: mould the torso armour (with any required mods) and cast as thin wearable armour plates.

Or of course i could cheat and buy a hot toys death trooper chest plate when it gets parted out on ebay for some stupid money.

Whaddya think???

I have started dismantling my deathtrooper for an upscale also, but i need to get hold of the black series helmet too.

Bought a darth maul on ebay in order to use his cloak for my kylo ren as i had zero luck locating affordable and suitable fabric in stores, so when that arrives i can finish off the kylo.

Back on to the death trooper, i am considering options regarding the upper torso armour. My choices are as follows:
    1: modify a medicom shadow trooper torso armour (lots of modding required)
    2: shovelchop the disney figure torso into wearable armour (STOP! Dremmel time!)
    3: same as option 2 but using the titan hero figure torso (no obvious benefit there)
    4: transfer the upper torso to a taller 1:6 body (use it as is)

At the moment i am thinking option 4 will be least work, but perhaps not the best result. Option 2 will probably function best but maaaaan is that a lot of work!

Then i guess there is the secret 5th option: mould the torso armour (with any required mods) and cast as thin wearable armour plates.

Or of course i could cheat and buy a hot toys death trooper chest plate when it gets parted out on ebay for some stupid money.

Whaddya think???
    Some excellent ideas there! I hadn't even thought of 1, 4 or 5! I'd have to buy silicone mould mix for 5 as Vinamold would distort and possibly melt the plastic, could do a reinforced latex mould then slush the EasyFlo around like rotocasting. I think 4 could look odd and undersized but if not perhaps the way to go. As for 1, well finding the parts loose would be the hardest part I think. Food for thought though, cheers!

TA only has one piece of abdomen armour for the Blackhole Storm Trooper and that's it.

I've got these two matching shirts and Kevlar like vests to go underneath and fill any gaps, plus black shower gel bottles that will work well to add more armour where needed. There are also two options I found after trawling the net for hours but when you are doing multiple figures like me, this can get very expensive fast!

Options:

I've got these two matching shirts and Kevlar like vests to go underneath and fill any gaps, plus black shower gel bottles that will work well to add more armour where needed. There are also two options I found after trawling the net for hours but when you are doing multiple figures like me, this can get very expensive fast!
    Looking good... I think whatever the upscaling Trooper formula is, it should be something that is neither crazy work intensive, nor dependent upon some rare component, so it can be used reliably to make army builder multiples. I'm loving the irony that you may use parts of actual Shower Gel bottles, where the standard insult for Hasbro/Mattel figures is to call them the Shampoo Bottle figures.

Looking good... I think whatever the upscaling Trooper formula is, it should be something that is neither crazy work intensive, nor dependent upon some rare component, so it can be used reliably to make army builder multiples. I'm loving the irony that you may use parts of actual Shower Gel bottles, where the standard insult for Hasbro/Mattel figures is to call them the Shampoo Bottle figures.
    I know! But these are special stealth shower gel bottles!

Ok, I went with the torso transplant, and it is actually fairly easy.

I transferred the deathtrooper upper torso to a 3 body I got on taobao few years back (body included in pictures).
    to do so i unscrewed the deathtroopers lower torso/belly section and removed the connecting ball from the cup. The 3 basic body's upper torso can simply be popped off, but the deathtroopers connecting torso ball is slightly too big to just pop on to the doner body's lower torso so i ground the ball down to size then popped it on.

once the frankensteined body was put together I just transferred the trousers over and pulled them up and under the upper torso. the thigh armour despite being tight still fit so no mods to the armour required.

I dismantled the head in order to use the neck and am in the process of adding a standard neck ball (glue on, miliput should complete it) ready for the black series helmet when I get one.

I will swap out the feet and maybe the hands, but not much else. once the neck is finished and the black series helmet added it should be quite tall compared to before and extended ankle pegs can add extra height if needed (swapping to wearable shoes/boots will already add some height, as will the helmet, so I will see how it looks without ankle extensions first).

(bad) pics:

Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-15724618_10210944694473894_2423124842535027426_o-jpg
    Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-15731925_10210944694433893_3325486914984656342_o-jpg
    Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-15785755_10210944782396092_1352732365_o-jpg
    Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-15823871_10210944697473969_308391433_o-jpg

The height definitely works there for you but as I suspected the shoulders are really narrow. I couldn't try this on my figures anyway as they have a completely different abdomen articulation system.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-s-l1600-jpg  

Got the Titanium helmet set today, I'm not sure if it's a tad oversized or not, I mean they're bigger than regular troopers so I guess their helmets would be slightly larger. Luckily my donor bodies have very broad shoulders while still being slim so I think they can carry off the size of the helmets, especially after I add the larger hands and feet. I dremelled out the chest pieces to see just how much work will need to be done, still not sure but he's got a bit of a 70's/Destro medallion man look going on right now . The donor bodies still haven't arrived so I can't do any body hacking yet or Saruman would get very upset! I think the best thing to do is to scratch build the chest armour and back plate but use the little backpack detail in it.There's plastic on the helmet for the range finder/optics thingy so that screws up my plans of using Vinamold to make lighter copies out of Easy-Flo (do they sell that in black?) and I haven't any silicone mould mix left so might just buy another helmet as they emailed me today to say they were back in stock. It costs about the same as all the moulding material I'd need and I get another bonus Rebel Commando helmet too.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 1/3/16 Metal Helmet & Armour Mods

Looking good so far,

Must be the one time you didn't regret getting shower gel for Christmas, come to think of it, neither did I!

CHEERS!

Looking good so far,

Must be the one time you didn't regret getting shower gel for Christmas, come to think of it, neither did I!

CHEERS!
    I didn't get anything for Christmas, I'm an atheist remember? Did get a nice cheque from my aunt though as she's my Godmother too, a late birthday present.
    I've been looking at moulding materials and think I'll actually go that route since the helmet is so heavy, that way I can make more if needed later on plus I have a metal French Napoleonic Dragoon helmet that needs the same thing done.

Mouldcraft A3000B

Fast Cast Polyurethane Liquid Plastic Casting Resin Pack Size 250g Kit (125g Part A & 125g Part B)

Typical Uses

Easy 1:1 mix two part polyurethane resin that has a wide range of casting uses. When cured it creates a strong non-brittle cast.

Similar to our 2000 range this resin does not cure with an oily finish making it more suitable for casts which are to be painted or guilded.

A3000B also has a longer pot life for longer working times. Sets black in colour for people who just need black plastics

Having established itself as the common choice on many films sites and within the prototyping industry the A3000 range has now become one of the foremost liquid plastics.

APPLICATIONS

• Ceramic Industry • Concrete moulds • Abrasion and impact-resistant parts • Rubber like prototype parts • Impact protection • Conveyor rollers • Machinery Parts • Assembly jigs • Vibration absorption

• High tear strength and elongation
    • Withstand moisture well, thus also suitable for thin layers
    • High abrasion resistance

Mix ratio instructions

Mix Ratio : 1A : 1B By Weight Pot Life 200g/20c : 7 - 8 Minutes
    Demould Time : 30 Min / 1hr
    Shore D : 70-75
    Heat Resistance (HDT) DIN EN ISO 75 B (celcius) : 863
    Viscosity at 25c Mixed : 505
    Cured Colour : Black

Also suitable for use in rtv silicone, latex, hdpe moulds etc..

3481 silicone kit with green catalyst very fast cure

High Strength silicone mouldmaking rubber.

This Silicone has been formulated for easy mixing by hand, with colour coded components giving a visual aid to ensure mixing is adequate. The two components mix easily and because of the low viscosity most grades can be used without processing in a vacuum chamber.

This silicone comes with the green very fast curing catalyst suited for the detailed reproduction of figures, art objects and similar items.

Features :
    •Outstanding release properties
    •High Flowabilty and long woring time
    •Medium Hardness
    •High tear resistance
    •High elasticity for easy removal of complex replica parts
    •Can be made thixotropic (non flowable) for vertical surface replication

Cured Properties of Silicone

•Colour : white/ green
    •Mix Ratio : 100:10
    •Working Time : 40-60 Minutes
    •De-Mould Time : 12-24 Hours
    •Mixed Viscosity mPas : 18000
    •Hardness Shore A : 27
    •Tensile Strength Mpa : 3.0
    •Elongation @ Break % : 520
    •Tear Strength kN/m : 23
    •Linear Shrinkage & : 0.2-0.4

Kit Contains :
    250g Silicone Rubber
    25g Green very fast Catalyst.
    1 Mixing Stick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-s-l1600-jpg  
    Last edited by shovelchop81; 01-03-2017 at 22:35.

That all looks fun,

Of course, if you cast the helmet, it will be slightly smaller, which could work out well in the long run. I too am an Atheist, but I still do Crimbo for the pressies.

CHEERS!