Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/3/17 Loads of armour ref pics and my prog

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    looking awesome so far!

Off topic but kinda related: yesterday I revived my skulltrooper project and today I made the first casting of the basic helmet. that will be refined then re-moulded for the final castings.
    Sounds great except I feeling a bit thick, what's a skulltrooper? I remember the old Japanese Black Guard Skulltroopers but not any SW ones.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Ribbed latex, I was praying you wouldn't go there......

CHEERS!

PS (Star Wars Chronicles is probably long out of print, it cost me 100 and it could be more now, it was printed in English and Japanese.)
    LOL, aside from the neck pieces I'm making or trying to make flat ribbed latex so not too many puns there! Was SWC a comic or a reference book?
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/3/17 Loads of armour ref pics and my prog

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Sounds great except I feeling a bit thick, what's a skulltrooper? I remember the old Japanese Black Guard Skulltroopers but not any SW ones
    Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-image-jpg

Star Wars Chronicles is still THE OT reference book, particularly for anything pre CGI, it's a coffee table book full of the best quality reference pics of anything and everything out there, ships, creatures, weapons, costumes, the cast. It's one of the best reference libraries for Boba Fett that I know of. There's also great pics of Vader's helmet and all sorts of other stuff besides. If you find a copy and the price is right, go for it, you won't regret it!

CHEERS!

Okay I want one! And one of all those non human ones behind him!! Is that even possible? Great looking sculpts!
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Star Wars Chronicles is still THE OT reference book, particularly for anything pre CGI, it's a coffee table book full of the best quality reference pics of anything and everything out there, ships, creatures, weapons, costumes, the cast. It's one of the best reference libraries for Boba Fett that I know of. There's also great pics of Vader's helmet and all sorts of other stuff besides. If you find a copy and the price is right, go for it, you won't regret it!

CHEERS!
    Cheers for the clarification Roger!

Back to the build then... The flat ribbed latex seems to be going well but came across a problem I hadn't anticipated as I thought the material to be copied was just moulded rubbery stuff, turns out it actually woven fabric which causes a slight dilemma. The latex has seeped through the stitching to pool and dry on the underside making a sort of latex sandwich! It's not as bad as it could have been thank the gods but next time I'll smear silicone grease all over the underside, the top side I had sprayed liberally with silicone mould release as grease would have clogged up the detail I want. Anyway, going to take a while to get rid of the bottom disposable bits before I can completely remove the top important part. Looking pretty good so far though, kept it thin to be 1/6 scale but need to be extra careful because of that.

Underneath seepage:

Top layer coming out well:

You can see the latex tiny connecting stubs from the underside sticking out the top side here:

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/4/17 Casting Latex Textured Clothing Mate

Well, this thread has been everything I expected, and more! Brilliant improvisation, high drama, comedy and tragedy. So much to take in, and I nearly ralph'd up a lung, laughing at the Banana Splits reference, and your reaction (BTW, I include a pic of the BS crew). I am thinking this epic should be subtitled The Jazz and Roger Show. Knowledge gained with humor, nothing better.

You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post

Okay I want one! And one of all those non human ones behind him!! Is that even possible? Great looking sculpts!
    That can soon be arranged! most of my skulls are already on etsy, skulltrooper helmet will follow soon, also working on open mouth version of skull trooper helmet today.

back on topic: that could have been a right mess but seems like you are managing!
    still, there must be an easier source of ribbed rubber........ Ahem.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/4/17 Casting Latex Textured Clothing Mate

One banana, two banana, three banana four, five make a bunch and so do many more.. Tra la la.....

I'm sure the end result will be spectacular.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Well, this thread has been everything I expected, and more! Brilliant improvisation, high drama, comedy and tragedy. So much to take in, and I nearly ralph'd up a lung, laughing at the Banana Splits reference, and your reaction (BTW, I include a pic of the BS crew). I am thinking this epic should be subtitled The Jazz and Roger Show. Knowledge gained with humor, nothing better.
    Er... thanks I think?...

That can soon be arranged! most of my skulls are already on etsy, skulltrooper helmet will follow soon, also working on open mouth version of skull trooper helmet today.

back on topic: that could have been a right mess but seems like you are managing!
    still, there must be an easier source of ribbed rubber........ Ahem.
    Cool! I'll have to check that link out! Wait, where's a link jaz? Okay, just found it!
    As for black ribbed condoms, I don't have any and they'd be way too shinny and delicate/slippery for this build, I need it looking closer to a wetsuit neoprene rubber with ribs which is just what I got after some patience to remove it. All the sex jokes have been done on my current War Machine thread as I started making ribbed black latex tubing there in different sizes and with different ribbing. Made some more today actually for the neck pieces.

One banana, two banana, three banana four, five make a bunch and so do many more.. Tra la la.....

I'm sure the end result will be spectacular.

CHEERS!
    Okay....never seen or heard of them, I grew up in Greece as a kid. As for the latex result you can see it now:

Flash off:

Drapes like a fabric:

Flash on:

reference:

Mine up close:

Last edited by shovelchop81; 03-04-2017 at 15:55.

wow! that came out great!

wow! that came out great!
    Cheers! I'm quite pleased with the result myself! Now I need to work out all the pattern directions and sizes for cutting while making sure it's enough for two figures.
    I checked out your etsy shop, nice! There are at least three skulls I want so far. Did you know etsy is Greek for "that's how" i.e. "that's how it's done" ? will you be making the listings active again soon?

Didnt know that actually!

The listings should be active now.

Btw, hasbro are going to releasing an electronic 12 inch deathtrooper so fingers crossed that one has the right sized helmet. They are also making a shoretrooper in the titan hero line so more custom fodder coming soon

Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-hasbro-2017-international-toy-fair-star-wars-074-jpg
    Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-imperial-death-trooper-12-inch-electronic-duel-figure-1-jpg
    Last edited by jaztermareal; 03-05-2017 at 04:43.

Well the 12" helmet would be welcome if it's the correct size and the gun and feet but I'll just assume it won't be and carry on since I've put plenty of work into these already! That Shore Trooper would be great but his helmet looks off to me, not sure why, looks too friendly? LOL.
    I be back at your store in a week when I have some money, got 2p left in my overdraft! .

Started gathering bits for his belly armour, webbing and pouches and ended up with the below after tipping bags of black plastic parts on the floor to inspect for use. As I need two of everything it limited my choices but think I've come up with some good stuff to work with like the familiar ink cartridges (If you ever saw my Whiplash MKII and HAMMER Drone scratch build WIPs). More stuff to fall back on if needed though; being a hoarder's great! (Just stuff for builds but that does cover custom guns so lots of metal too!).

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/5/17 Ink Cartridges For Belly Armour etc.

Coming together now.

The helmet would be a bonus if it is the right size.

CHEERS!

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/5/17 Ink Cartridges For Belly Armour etc.

Coming together now.

The helmet would be a bonus if it is the right size.

CHEERS!
    Agreed! Would have helped if this pic of the armour hadn't been taken upside down with the straps pushed through the wrong way, confused the hell out of me initially! LOL.

Right way up for the armour plates now:

Yeah, that would've helped!

CHEERS!

I remembered these guys are meant to be skinny as well as tall so took plenty of plastic off the legs with the Dremell then filed it all down smooth (not shown) now the leg armour fits much better too and I feel like a complete plonker for having cut one set prematurely thinking I was using the legs as stock . Oh well I'll figure out a fix as I doubt super glue will do it on it's own, perhaps with staples..

The leg armour looks good now. You could maybe have used some Enterbay NBA bodies, they would be tall enough and the right build. I think some of the actual troopers may have been basketball players.

CHEERS!

The leg armour looks good now. You could maybe have used some Enterbay NBA bodies, they would be tall enough and the right build. I think some of the actual troopers may have been basketball players.

CHEERS!
    They were actually! I got these bodies for 7 quid each so not complaining!

And last night's beef burrito packaging comes to the rescue! I'm only doing a jist of the abdomen armour as it's really complex for something that will be hidden by the magazine belly rack anyway, I think the designers enjoyed the challenge of making plate armour as ergonomic and unrestrictive as possible in this area, perhaps they are Iron Man fans too?

It's great what you can find around the house. Ever bought something you'd never normally get just because it looked like it might come in handy? I used to use cake stands as diorama bases, inexpensive and came in a variety of sizes.

CHEERS!

Bought multiple 1/1 chrome toilet role stands for 1/1 helmet stands! lol.

I bought a Barbie Fashion Fever hat to use on my Henry Jones. You'd never know though, I bought it for the shape and completely repainted it.

It's surprising sometimes what you can suddenly see that wouldn't make any sense to anyone else, but they're perfect for what you need.

I use Lynx all the time, but would never have envisaged using the containers for body armour.

CHEERS!

I bought a Barbie Fashion Fever hat to use on my Henry Jones. You'd never know though, I bought it for the shape and completely repainted it.

It's surprising sometimes what you can suddenly see that wouldn't make any sense to anyone else, but they're perfect for what you need.

I use Lynx all the time, but would never have envisaged using the containers for body armour.

CHEERS!
    I do it every day! LOL. Just walking to the corner shop and back (which is what I'm limited to now a days, apparently I have cosmophobia not agoraphobia, learn something new every day too!) I look at and often pick up discarded items that make great material sources and parts for my builds in general, 1/6, custom airguns etc.. also furniture as well. My neighbours mostly being pretty ignorant (sadly not pretty ) must think I'm just a local mad long haired, long grey bearded, tattooed loony when I take chucked out ovens apart outside for the good steel and useful parts for guns and dios...Probably don't say anything when they get a glimse of my weapons collection through my front door though...

We all have our foibles and eccentricities, mine can be credited to Dyspraxia, which is a blessing and a curse. I probably wouldn't be into all this if it weren't for it, so I guess that's a blessing.

Keep up the good work

CHEERS!

That sucks especially if it effects your motor skills for building models! I've never had any conception of time management so that won't be a problem for this type of stuff. Apparently Cosmophobia is fearing the end of the world according to Google WTF? I don't have that! I was led to believe (as I speak fluent Greek) that it was a fear of crowds and wary of people in general hence making it agoraphobia when living in a city, you got it wrong Mum!! .

Started distributing the latex in the correct pattern directions and attaching it:

Actually, it doesn't affect that as I was able to learn at my own pace over several years. It's when you have a lot to learn in a short space of time and lots going on at once that you come unglued. Knowing exactly what you have and how to deal with it helps a lot. I was 30 before I totally knew what was going on.

CHEERS!

Starting to look the part...

Indeed it is, great stuff!

CHEERS!