Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 1/15/17 Silicone Mould Dilema..

Sounds like you have it sorted then, never used HP. The mould seems to have survived the insertion of random objects and I removed them today or I wouldn't have been able to get the helmet out. There only seemed to be one hairline gap due to one of the tools I pushed in so not bad at all considering. I've patched that up with silicone gasket sealant and will give it a day to cure. Been working on the armour although I'm juggling about five projects today!
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Glad you're keeping busy. My Dad has an HP and it works. I rarely use printers, but, it's nice to have one if you need one.

Hope the casting comes out ok.

CHEERS!

This is a fun build to watch. Keep up the posts, and I can't wait to see where this guy ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    This is a fun build to watch. Keep up the posts, and I can't wait to see where this guy ends up.
    Thanks! Had a bit of a mould catastrophe, should have tested it more thoroughly for leaks using water but still managed to get a usable cast out of it...barely. I've since cut away the excess silicone that was covering up the flaws and piled on the gasket silicone to hopefully have got all the pinprick leaks now, they were all at the top end which helps. Below you'll see the cast I got on the right, one of the muzzle lights/filters didn't cast completely and the other not at all, odd that but an easy fix with a couple of pen lids etc..The detail came out very crisp which is great but there was no shrinkage unfortunately. There's a bit underneath that didn't quite fill in due to the leak but should be easy to fix.

Mass panic and scooping resin up and back in as fast as it was coming out until it started to set and seal the leak!

Repaired mould:

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Not bad, it does look a little bit smaller to me.

CHEERS!

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

with the mould fixed you should get a perfect cast fingers crossed.

If I had a quid for every leaky mold problem I have had when casting... I would be able to afford the HT deathtrooper!!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Not bad, it does look a little bit smaller to me.

CHEERS!
    Perhaps a tad narrower which would be good, hard to tell with the excess resin on the bottom!

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    with the mould fixed you should get a perfect cast fingers crossed.

If I had a quid for every leaky mold problem I have had when casting... I would be able to afford the HT deathtrooper!!
    , very true! It's so simple in theory but seems to be a never ending learning curve in practice and I've done hundreds of the damn things over the years! I just water tested it with no leaks , just letting it dry out then I'll respray it with release agent and have another go with the last of the black resin. I'll still use the first one I think just do those fixes I mentioned rather than paying for another resin set, not cheap that stuff.

I'm sure you'll work it all out, it's a case of trial and error I suppose.

CHEERS!

I'm sure you'll work it all out, it's a case of trial and error I suppose.

CHEERS!
    Nah just a pain in the arse, moulding always is, so many variables, I need to build a vacuum chamber, got most of the stuff to do it from an old deep-fryer just need a powerful enough suction pump. Second cast came out worse which is extraordinary as prepped the mould very carefully, agitated the resin mix in and out of the mould, still got bloody air pockets and micro bubbles. There was no water in it, I'd dried it out on the radiator upside-down then right way up, then I blasted it with the air nozzle on my compressor. Sucks...but I can fix it too, got plenty of green stuff for the larger defects and I'll try that miliput? you mentioned, was it grey or white I'd need for a smooth finish? Well at least I got another random tribal skull cast from the excess resin, that came from a very old Vinamold I made years ago and looks better even having so much more detail, typical!!

I am currently making a new mould of a skull I sculpted and this time I tried something different:
    since most of the mould leaks I have had have been due to
    A: mould halves sticking to each other and small tears forming when prying apart and
    B: the initial clay surface (the item to be cast is placed in before pouring the first lot of silicone) being uneven with crevices invisible to the eye at the time (which also adds to the sticking problem) which the first lot of silicone can seep into (such as a tiny gap in the clay that gets filled with silicone that later gets ripped off when de-moulding) creating a potential leak area and/or surface imperfections on casts.

The fix for problem A is mould release spray or vaseline applied to surfaces before pouring (of course) but problem B is more tricky. I know some people pour molten playdough type clay's to form the base over which to pour the silicone but that is tricky to clean up before pouring the second half, especially if the item being moulded is intricate with lots of areas where it can get stuck in.

For problem B I have come up with a new solution to guarantee a smooth surface for the items to be embedded in over which the silicone can be poured: Soap.

I have melted some hobby soap and poured it in the mould box where the skull is placed surrounded by mould 'keys' (mine are lego bricks in this case since my mould box is made of lego). The soap hardens quickly forming a perfectly flat and smooth surface with the skull, vent/pouring hole tubes and 'keys' poking out ready for the silicone to be poured over.

I have already poured the first half and I expect that the soap should be easy to remove after the silicone is set (soap can then be re-used) and I can scrub and rinse off any leftover soap, apply mould release and pour the second half of the silicone. This should, in theory, result in a perfectly neat non-leaking 2 part mould. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by jaztermareal; 01-17-2017 at 14:03. Reason: atrocious spelling

Keep at it, you'll get there.

CHEERS!

Keep at it, you'll get there.

CHEERS!
    I found they make miliput in black! Bonus!

Jaz: Great idea buddy! I'm still going to look for a suction pump though. Mine leaked because I didn't buy enough silicone! I also should have dismantled the helmet to cast in separate parts but hindsight is always 20/20!

I have opened the mould and the soap idea seems to have worked perfectly will see how it works by the time it is finished.

I could have told you about the Milliput, LOL!

Certainly will cone in handy.

CHEERS!

I could have told you about the Milliput, LOL!

Certainly will cone in handy.

CHEERS!
    You did!

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    I have opened the mould and the soap idea seems to have worked perfectly will see how it works by the time it is finished.
    Cool! Keep me updated, do you have a link to the hobby soap? Cheers!

I just bought it in hobby craft. basic unscented hobby soap in a tub. easily melted in the microwave then poured into the mould box. it is also clear which helps for certain things.

Sooooo... Not much progress on my death trooper as the helmet problem limits options. Comparing the black series diecast helmet to others in the series it looks closer to 1:5 scale, so it is horribly oversized on my skinny trooper, while the titan hero death trooper i bought at the same time has a helmet the same size as the dusney deathtrooper (closer to 1:7 scale) meaning there is no low budget 1:6 helmet option at the moment.

I could perhaps buy the HT deathtrooper head and then cast up a bunch of copies for affordable helmets to put on converted troopers but that would mean i would be resorting to recasting (should be a last resort).

Parhaps then the most ideal option going forward would be a 3d printed helmet that could be refined then moulded and cast for cheap helmets. Problem is I don't yet own a printer and printing services can be pricier than buying the ht helmet (defeats the objective of low budget troopers) and i have not made any 3d digital helmet sculpts to print anyway, so kind of a non starter there.

I have however added extended ankle pegs to my death trooper and kylo. You won't quite see it in pics but they look really tall now. For kylo i just need to make the sleeves (i now have the maul cloak required for materials so it is just a case of not botching up the cutting/sewing job.

Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-image-jpgDisney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-image-jpg

You never know, Force Toys might come to your rescue....

CHEERS!

You never know, Force Toys might come to your rescue....

CHEERS!
    One does hope!!!

That or maybe Bandai 1:6 kits

Here's a comparison pic of my in progress upscale figures:
    Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 4/4/17 Finished Mini Trooper So All Done Now.-16295465_10211219710749129_949093679_n-jpg

Jaz: getting there mate! I'd look into boots now if I were you and perhaps hands? I'm using HT Vader ones (hands) on mine, luckily had two pairs that are good for a trooper.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 1/3/16 Metal Helmet & Armour Mods

Looking good, staying promising. Getting even further away from anything I'd ever dream of attempting myself, with my limited skill set, but it's processes that I want to learn about. So my double interest in this thread is waiting eagerly for the result while learning stuff along the way.

BTW I'm not going to necro-resurrect whatever old thread the Disney Store SWs had, but anybody who's interested is probably also reading this one: so FYI as of yesterday the Disney Store Marvel and the SW figures went on sale ($20 US / $25 Can). Rey, Leia and Vader were on sale before, but this is the first time up on discount for for Jyn, Krennic and the Trooper. Probably especially significant for the Trooper since people may want multiples as an Army Builder. Also BTW they've actually got quite impressive new figures for the Beauty and the Beast movie, especially Beast who'd make a decent SW alien conversion of some kind, but that's getting off topic.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

That's good news all round thanks! I won't be able to focus on these builds as much as I'd like because I have other commitments to other hobbies (HMM ZOIDS and gun builds) that have been sorely neglected due to 1/6th as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Jaz: getting there mate! I'd look into boots now if I were you and perhaps hands? I'm using HT Vader ones (hands) on mine, luckily had two pairs that are good for a trooper.
    I was going to rummage around my parts bins for suitable hands and feet for the death trooper but hands are kinda low priority for now, just the feet are bugging me. eventually it will all come together. for my next death trooper I will make a bulkier one (like yours) to get a little variety among the troopers. I think I will just be copying notes from your deathtrooper build for that!

@Moonbase Alpha Male: they aren't on sale here in UK at the moment but when they are I think I will restock

Those 1/6 Bandai kits are around £90 over here, nice, but a bit much. Paging Force Toys.....

CHEERS!

Those 1/6 Bandai kits are around £90 over here, nice, but a bit much. Paging Force Toys.....

CHEERS!
    Do you have a link please Roger? Ta!

Actually £80 and there's only the Stormie at present, but, I wouldn't put it past Bandai to do a Deathtrooper:

Star Wars Bandai 1/6 Scale Stormtrooper Model Kit - ID Toys

Yes, they are in the UK, in Norwich of all places!

CHEERS!

Under £60 on ebay, shipped from Japan

BANDAI Star Wars 1/6 Stormtrooper No. 210505 JAPAN | eBay

Possibly, but you run the risk of getting hit with a customs fee which would make the price what the UK guy has it for anyway. I'd rather get it legit and not wait to be stung.

CHEERS!

Possibly, but you run the risk of getting hit with a customs fee which would make the price what the UK guy has it for anyway. I'd rather get it legit and not wait to be stung.

CHEERS!
    I agree, Japan is notorious for declaring all values etc..having said that I just received a Zoid set from there today that was marked as gift and got past customs! first time ever!
    Have you handled the Bandai 1/6 troopers yet? They seem to be the same price as the Force Toys ones.