Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678 LastLast

Thread: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/25/17 Back In Black...

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/12/17 Many Things Modded A Bit..

Mmmm, still too pricey for my liking though. I'll stick to 1/12 now.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Mmmm, still too pricey for my liking though. I'll stick to 1/12 now.

CHEERS!
    Just thought I'd put it out there. I guess they overstocked thinking everyone was going to do this with them! LOL

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

If you can do that then you have some serious money to burn! Just one would do me.

CHEERS!

Just got the 2nd hand SW TWA FO HG ST today, came complete with the box too, I can't see anything wrong with him of any note asside from the cracked guantlet, the only problems he has are HT build related (he has trouble holding the gun two handed and a foot and shin armour like to fall off if you're not careful). He fits in great with my customs, I thought he might be a bit bigger and I could just pass him off as a "Road Block" GI Joe type character but he's the same size as the shampoo bottle ones I built and now I have loads of spare hands for the others yet to be done too, bonus!

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Nice,

When I have more room I'll have to look at broken stuff. I got a good deal on one of the SSC Gentlemen from Buffy once. They thought his hand had broken off. "Let's have a look." I said. Turns out the hand had just come off the peg. They still agreed the price though!

CHEERS!

Done some more black miliput work on the helmets and armour, I'll wait for it to cure over night then attack it with sandpaper and scalpels etc.. Thought I'd just let you know that they are still being worked on even though I took a break to work on non 1/6 stuff too.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/20/17 More Black Miliput Work Done.

All looking good so far....

CHEERS!

Hehe, back again,

Thought I'd tell you that I'm doing another 1/6 project, a custom Han from Empire! I've got the gear from the SSC one. Kit at Onesixthkit has released a cracking ESB Han head: Custom 1/6 Scale Harrison Ford Han Solo Head Sculpt For Hot Toys Figure Body | eBay

I bought one, then realised I didn't have a body, so I got a KO of the one I used for Indy from Kit as well. They are both on their way too! The head looks to be the recast MJ Indy with Han hair, so I know it's a good un.

This sparked a frantic search for his blaster. Going back to the last place/first place thing, yep, you guessed it, I found it in the last place I looked! Ironically it was also the first place I looked, but I missed it! LOL!

CHEERS!

UPDATE:

The head is currently out of stock, but more are expected soon. If you want one, grab one!
    Last edited by rogerbee; 03-22-2017 at 13:54.

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.

Man, I haven't been on to see any builds.

Looking good Shovel!!! Can't wait to see this badboy finished.

All looking good so far....

CHEERS!
    Cheers!

Hehe, back again,

Thought I'd tell you that I'm doing another 1/6 project, a custom Han from Empire! I've got the gear from the SSC one. Kit at Onesixthkit has released a cracking ESB Han head: Custom 1/6 Scale Harrison Ford Han Solo Head Sculpt For Hot Toys Figure Body | eBay

I bought one, then realised I didn't have a body, so I got a KO of the one I used for Indy from Kit as well. They are both on their way too! The head looks to be the recast MJ Indy with Han hair, so I know it's a good un.

This sparked a frantic search for his blaster. Going back to the last place/first place thing, yep, you guessed it, I found it in the last place I looked! Ironically it was also the first place I looked, but I missed it! LOL!

CHEERS!

UPDATE:

The head is currently out of stock, but more are expected soon. If you want one, grab one!
    I'm SO glad to hear it! About bloody time lol! Will be great to have you back building again. That is a really nice Harrison hs! A HT clone?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadshore View Post
    Man, I haven't been on to see any builds.

Looking good Shovel!!! Can't wait to see this badboy finished.
    Thanks Broadshore, there will actually be two "bad boys" as I'm building them simultaneously to flank Krennic. Doing plenty of detail work on the helmet that lost it in the mould using a jewellers saw and scalpel, after sanding everything down but found some air bubbles on one side that also looked a bit wonky so I've built it up again. Looks like a donut ring right now but that's because I haven't sanded it back down again yet to match the other helmet. I've also been having fun posing my brand new Ultron MKI and getting him to hold the quite heavy (surprisingly) damaged Iron Legionnaire torso and head that he crushes in the movie. I'm going to incorporate a sound bite of his speech in the movie into his base later.

Last edited by shovelchop81; 03-22-2017 at 21:54.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/23/17 Helmet Detailing

The cleaned up helmet is looking pretty decent. Got some DID Otto boots for Han, decided the old SSC or DML ones weren't going to cut it. I don't need an SHF Han now. I like to do things once and the best I can and an Empire Han was what I always wanted.

Keep up the good work

CHEERS!

Alright...

Now you've lapsed into playing and having fun.

Attaboy.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

The cleaned up helmet is looking pretty decent. Got some DID Otto boots for Han, decided the old SSC or DML ones weren't going to cut it. I don't need an SHF Han now. I like to do things once and the best I can and an Empire Han was what I always wanted.

Keep up the good work

CHEERS!
    SHF? Figure Arts? Those Otto boots are really nice but gone way up in price recently, I remember when you could get them for under a tenner now they're nearly twice that! The helmets are giving me grief... more on that below..

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Alright...

Now you've lapsed into playing and having fun.

Attaboy.
    Only when the builders shut the "£$% up! I'm surrounded by the bastards, with a giant diesel generator right outside my door, they're working on every house around me (terraced housing ie all connected). Arghh... going bonkers!!

Anyway... Filed and sanded all day again... decided to take both helmets down further than the original metal helmet to narrow the profile by thinning out the jaw tube thingies (you'd think being a SW fanatic I'd know what those were called by now! ). Not sure if it worked, can't see the wood for the trees anymore! Let me know what you guys think, I've taken plenty of pics on and off the body. Krennic is a regular 1/6 height to give you a sense of scale next to the DT, I'm thinking I might have to chop up the casts in order to shrink the helmets, done this many times before but these are a bit tricky as they have so much detail in the face plates it will have to be done very strategically and not just two vertically across and one horizontal cut like the norm. The black primer paint finally arrived! Yay...

Discovered the down side to miliput, I'm going to have to use paint stripper to get it off my files! Yes it was dry...

After a clean and a polish with super fine grade sandpaper (still needs some new cavities filled in though) next to each other and the original metal one (has the disks on the front unlike the others):

Neck joint in progress, will be rounded off, reinforced and attached with a screw (covered with black ribbed latex of course):

Now here are the clincher pics, is the helmet too big?

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/23/17 Helmets Too Big Or Okay?

Sod it, I think I'll just give them the chop treatment and replace the damaged faceplate with the plastic one from the original while shrinking the bulk of the rest of the helmets making them narrower and not as deep ie from front to back, the height should be ok but we'll see as it goes or I'll spend the rest of my life looking at them going "Those helmets still look off to me!".

As always dear Mr Chopchop, I enjoy your threads, and envy your skills and tenacity
    I so want 2 of these to stand behind my Krennic, so I want you to succeed!

The black series helmets do seem a little on large size - I was hoping to go that route too

I was thinking that it might make a difference visually if you reattached the big "belt" that holds the grenades, to fill out his midriff. Any chance of doing that temporarily and snapping a few new pictures?

Cheers
    René
    "It´s been a while since I done had me some roadkill in my belly" (SKETTI)

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

I think the only way to get a 1:6 deathtrooper helmet atm is the HT one. Otherwise, the Hasbro electronic deathtrooper coming soon might be be closer to 1:6, or it may again be too small. Perhaps getting a 3d printed one to mould is the way to go as the titanium one is about 1:5 in hand :s

Mmm, as good as they look, I'm afraid they're too big. Somewhere between that and the HT would be perfect. If you can shrink what you've got then you'll be onto a winner.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by renesw View Post
    As always dear Mr Chopchop, I enjoy your threads, and envy your skills and tenacity
    I so want 2 of these to stand behind my Krennic, so I want you to succeed!

The black series helmets do seem a little on large size - I was hoping to go that route too

I was thinking that it might make a difference visually if you reattached the big "belt" that holds the grenades, to fill out his midriff. Any chance of doing that temporarily and snapping a few new pictures?

Cheers
    René
    Yes I was wondering the same, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    I think the only way to get a 1:6 deathtrooper helmet atm is the HT one. Otherwise, the Hasbro electronic deathtrooper coming soon might be be closer to 1:6, or it may again be too small. Perhaps getting a 3d printed one to mould is the way to go as the titanium one is about 1:5 in hand :s
    I know, we've discussed this many times but I don't do 3D printing and wouldn't want to have to pay someone for it.

Mmm, as good as they look, I'm afraid they're too big. Somewhere between that and the HT would be perfect. If you can shrink what you've got then you'll be onto a winner.

CHEERS!
    Yeah I know, feel like I'm polishing a turd but Mythbusters managed to do it! LOL.

Hmmm.. very interesting! Looks miles better now and it's not just because of the added kit, I'd inadvertently been tilting the camera lens towards his helmet before making it look much bigger than it is, a sort of forced perspective, now I consciously made an effort to shoot pics flat on, ie holding the camera parallel to the figure rather than tipped forwards.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/24/17 Helmets, And Now? ;-)

Mmm, I do see what you mean. A little less giraffe neck and you might be there. You might even finish these before that one in the zoo gives birth!

BTW, my Otto boots were £12.99 posted and might be here tomorrow.

CHEERS!

Mmm, I do see what you mean. A little less giraffe neck and you might be there. You might even finish these before that one in the zoo gives birth!

BTW, my Otto boots were £12.99 posted and might be here tomorrow.

CHEERS!
    LOL, yeah the neck is just a temporary thrown together affair that will be made thicker and not giraffe like. Not a bad deal on the boots.

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

looks like you are getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    looks like you are getting there!
    Cheers! I'm making some new wider diameter black ribbed latex for the necks which is a slow process but got the chest armour, holsters, hand armour and magazine rigs to work on in the meantime. The latex should be ready in a day or two as it needs to dry between loads of layer applications.

I'm sure you'll work everything out. The boots arrived earlier today and they are ace. I've long hated long boots as they're usually hell to get feet into, but these look like they'll be a breeze to fit, and I'll still have ankle articulation so I'll still get some decent poses.

CHEERS!

I'm sure you'll work everything out. The boots arrived earlier today and they are ace. I've long hated long boots as they're usually hell to get feet into, but these look like they'll be a breeze to fit, and I'll still have ankle articulation so I'll still get some decent poses.

CHEERS!
    With leather boots I usually pop the feet off the pegs put them in first then attach the legs afterwards, makes tucking the trousers in neater and easier too.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking of. Han's trousers are skinny anyway and the boots just slide straight over them. I'll be stoked to have a Han, he was the one SW figure I always wanted even over a stormie. A thought did occur to me, if you got a Bandai kit and could put an HT neck ball into the neck, you could do a Han stormie!

CHEERS!

Yeah, that was what I was thinking of. Han's trousers are skinny anyway and the boots just slide straight over them. I'll be stoked to have a Han, he was the one SW figure I always wanted even over a stormie. A thought did occur to me, if you got a Bandai kit and could put an HT neck ball into the neck, you could do a Han stormie!

CHEERS!
    Good idea, you can recast the HS in flesh tone to help save on painting.

Nah, I'd just get another head from Kit if I were going to do that. There are some KO's of the HT ANH Luke around too if you wanted the pair.

CHEERS!

Nah, I'd just get another head from Kit if I were going to do that. There are some KO's of the HT ANH Luke around too if you wanted the pair.

CHEERS!
    Yeah seen the Luke around for a while now but never thought of using for him in a ST suit before, no idea why! LOL.

Finished faffing with the helmets and armour finally, just got them in the spray booth and laid on some black primer. Done the mag belt covers and grenade pouches too, latex neck tubes are nearly there as well; modded the holsters too. Oh and found that the Sure For Men tops also make great shoulder braces/ cuirass belts!

Last edited by shovelchop81; Yesterday at 14:12.

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/25/17 Back In Black...

Mmm, they are coming along! There will have been many exclamations of "Hell's bells!" and you may have felt like you were on a highway to hell too!

CHEERS!

Re: Disney Death Trooper Upscale WIP 3/25/17 Back In Black...

Mmm, they are coming along! There will have been many exclamations of "Hell's bells!" and you may have felt like you were on a highway to hell too!

CHEERS!
    I also "shoot to thrill!" lol. readjusted that chest plate pectoral divider strip as I noticed it was further apart from the other when compared to the other armour.
    Last edited by shovelchop81; Yesterday at 15:01.