Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: How do we upload photo now?

How do we upload photo now?

Like the title says. How do we upload photo now? I'm I stupid or is this now a hidden feature?

Mark

Re: How do we upload photo now?

How do we upload photo now?-x60m-jpg

Images can be uploaded again!
    Click the little square icon next to the movie strip icon and follow the directions.
    There's not much to it.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Dunno if it's just me, but when I click on those thumbs, I get a flatworm image. I made the mistake of trying to load an image as an attachment in the KotM poll. Same crummy result, and I couldn't remove it. For now, images are apparently another problem.

[EDIT] - I saw Gerald's (El Paso Trooper's) birthday substitute post, and he's got a full-sized image. Maybe he will share his dark majik.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Mike, it's not just you. I get the squished thumbnail popup too. I posted a bit about the image problems in the thread linked below. Uploading images is confusing but possible. You can get to the gallery by clicking on the "Community" tab located on any forum page and then clicking on "Albums". You'll have to create a new album or use one of your old ones to upload images. Posting images works too but is also confusing to figure out. After you get your image(s) uploaded to an OSW image album, click on them so that each image loads on a page by itself. You can then copy the BB Code at the bottom and paste it into the body of your message. It's no longer necessary to click on "insert image" when composing a message. Below is a screen capture of what the squished thumbnail popups look like for anyone that's curious.

This is the thread I mentioned above: Wayne Rooney (Test Post)

Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

Can we not post with links from photobucket anymore then ?

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Can we not post with links from photobucket anymore then ?
    Yes you can. Just copy the direct link from Photobucket and paste it into the body of your message. You'll then have to add BB Code to the link. To do that just add "[img]" (without the quotes) to the beginning of the link and "[/img]" (also without quotes) to the end of the link. It should look like this:

[img]***my image link***[/img]

There might be a simpler way to do it but that's the only method that I'm aware of at the moment. The image below of my Russian MVD scout figure is hosted by Photobucket.

Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

I found it confusing too, but a little experimentation and it worked. I usually upload into an album and then insert from there. Using the little Insert Image icon, I select "From URL", paste the URL string from the album, and uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box, then click on OK. I imagine that if you are just grabbing a file from an external website, you would have to leave that box checked. Theoretically, it looks like you should be able to insert photos directly from your computer, but when I tried that, it displayed it as an enlargeable thumbnail, which in turn, when enlarged, appears squished as described in the earlier posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Dunno if it's just me, but when I click on those thumbs, I get a flatworm image. I made the mistake of trying to load an image as an attachment in the KotM poll. Same crummy result, and I couldn't remove it. For now, images are apparently another problem.

[EDIT] - I saw Gerald's (El Paso Trooper's) birthday substitute post, and he's got a full-sized image. Maybe he will share his dark majik.

Caption It Returns! (Birthday substitute for 12/09/16)
    Mike, Scimitar has revealed my dark majik on uploading images---

Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Mike, it's not just you. I get the squished thumbnail popup too. I posted a bit about the image problems in the thread linked below. Uploading images is confusing but possible. You can get to the gallery by clicking on the "Community" tab located on any forum page and then clicking on "Albums". You'll have to create a new album or use one of your old ones to upload images. Posting images works too but is also confusing to figure out. After you get your image(s) uploaded to an OSW image album, click on them so that each image loads on a page by itself. You can then copy the BB Code at the bottom and paste it into the body of your message. It's no longer necessary to click on "insert image" when composing a message. Below is a screen capture of what the squished thumbnail popups look like for anyone that's curious.

This is the thread I mentioned above: Wayne Rooney (Test Post)

In life it's not what you want, it's what you get.

I was wondering what happened to this thread but I was looking in the wrong place. It's sticky now!

This is mostly a copy and paste of a message I posted in another thread but it's worth mentioning here.

Images can be posted using either the default OSW image hosting (very confusing), Photobucket or a similar third party hosting site. From what I've experimented with so far, Photobucket is by far the easiest way to upload and post images. I have one warning though if signing up with Photobucket. Consider using a disposable email address when signing up, because they will spam the Hell out of you! I signed up a year or so ago, using my default email and even though I unchecked the option for receiving emails, it got enabled on a subsequent login and the spam started rolling in. I clicked "unsubscribe" on one of those emails and once again opted out but the spam continued to roll in. Eventually I logged into my email server and filtered all Photobucket emails straight to the spam folder but an occasional glance in there shows that they are still getting sent every day.

Right from the get go I never trusted forums when it came to uploading pics and I've always used Photobucket without issue. I can vouch for it 100% as practically every pic I've ever posted here has been via it, and all the pics are still in my library there.

Please, if you can't get on with the system here, just sign up and use Photobucket....

CHEERS!

I'm doing something wrong. When I hit "Insert Image" and cut and paste the address for the pic from Photobucket "Direct" in the block, I get an error message with"Invalid URL". Any suggestions???
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

Quote Originally Posted by markh166 View Post
    I'm doing something wrong. When I hit "Insert Image" and cut and paste the address for the pic from Photobucket "Direct" in the block, I get an error message with"Invalid URL". Any suggestions???
    Don't use "Insert Image". Just paste the Photobucket "Direct" image link into the body of your message. Put "[IMG]" at the beginning of the link and "[/IMG]" at the end of it.

Like this: [IMG]my photobucket link[/IMG]

Thanks, Scimitar. I had seen that, but misunderstood one of the other posts, and thought there was a way to direct link from Photobucket. Wishful thinking? Thanks again.
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

It's pretty much done for you. There are boxes with links in to the right of the page on Photobucket. You click in the box with the IMG link in and that copies it to the clipboard. You then right click in your thread and paste the link, job done!

CHEERS!

Rogerbee is correct. I had forgotten about the "IMG" button on Photobucket. When you paste the copied link into your message body, it won't look exactly like what I posted above because it has some extra code in it for some reason that I suspect is related to making it work in different forums that use BBCode. The copied link will still work just fine to display your image, though.

Read this:

Photobucket and "3rd party hosting"

Don't use Photobucket, unless you want to pay a monthly fee for hosting pics on forums. Use Imgur instead, free, easy to use and reliable as far as I know. (Only just switched to them myself.)

CHEERS!

I am trying to post pics direct to the forum following the recent PB debacle. When I post pics in a portrait format they get turned on there side like this:

How do we upload photo now?-img_1849-jpg

is there a way to stop this happening? if so how do I do that please?

Thanks

Paul

I found that if you open them in a photo editor program like Photoshop, and save them, for some unknown reason there orientation stays as it should. Stupid, I know, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    I found that if you open them in a photo editor program like Photoshop, and save them, for some unknown reason there orientation stays as it should. Stupid, I know, but it works.
    Thanks I will give that a try.

Paul

Thanks Stryker2011

That worked a treat.

I am using a Mac, so I opened the pictures in preview, and then exported them as JPG files, and BINGO they are all the right way up now.

Thanks again

Paul

Hi, I'm new here and I've gotten into these figures in a big way. I'm retired, have time and I like figures. BJDs up and till now.
    I have a photo of body color comparison 3 shade of Jiaudol and Phicen's three shades. I thought it might be helpful.
    I also have a Mac know how to make a .jpg and want to, if I can, upload from my desktop ? I use Flickr and have had problems on a different forum. I will join Photobucket if necessary, but would rather do it from my desktop. Is that possible?

I use Flickr and have no trouble, at least i think so anyway.

I added a simple guide to our Albums. On the clock right now, but I will try to polish that a bit as time allows - Posting pictures from Community>Albums
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Experimented earlier with using the insert image feature. Interesting, SSF has the exact same feature, but, theirs posts the pic full size. They look to use VBulletin too, so, maybe the code boffins can look at doing similar here, there has to be a way to do it. If you can get it so the images are full size you really would kill any need for a pic host. If users kept the posted image size to about 480 x 640 it would work just fine.

CHEERS!

Here's a screenshot of SSF:

Attachment 379738

The pic of Indy on there is 450 x 669. I put that pic there using insert image.

CHEERS!

I cannot upload from my pc the "Okay" button is hidden somewhere or lost

Guys, if you have Firefox or Google Chrome, there is now an extension available called Photobucket Fixer that WILL allow you to see Photobucket pics again!!

I installed it and it works, provided you didn't delete your account that is, which I of course did, so you won't see any of my pics again!

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Guys, if you have Firefox or Google Chrome, there is now an extension available called Photobucket Fixer that WILL allow you to see Photobucket pics again!!

I installed it and it works, provided you didn't delete your account that is, which I of course did, so you won't see any of my pics again!

CHEERS!
    Thanks, that worked like a charm. I added the extension to Firefox and then loaded this page and the image that I linked to using PB above, shows just fine. Hopefully someone will come up with an addon for MS Edge that does the same thing. I suspect that it may only be temporary though if PB decides to block the extensions in some way.

We'll see,

If there's a pic you loved, go and get it now while it still works!

CHEERS!