Last month I bought a FOA tiger tank turret,I assume it's probably an older unit,the resin castings aren't the best I've ever seen and the mantlet is blow mold styrene, at one point someone super glued the barrel directly to the turret,they must have used a whole bottle of glue, the outfit I bought it from removed the barrel and mantlet and busted it up pretty bad, since I am waiting for the paint to cure on my VW ambulance I figured I would get a start on the turret.
I decided when I bought it that since I can't afford the whole tank I would build it as a turret bunker! I'll cast a concrete bunker and mount the turret on top of that!
First problem was cleaning up all the excess glue so I could make the barrel move. It isn't going to be accurate because I don't want to have to cut the inner mantlet off the turret,so the barrel and mantlet will pivot on it, they used a piece of plastic pipe to make the inner mantlet and the barrel extended through a slot cut into it, which wouldn't allow the barrel to elevate or depress,so the first order of business was to open the bottom of the turret so I could get inside to work on breach end of the barrel,so I cut a 6 foot circle out of the bottom of the turret,those were big turret bearings! I'm going to use a spring over the end of the barrel with a piece of threaded rod protruding that I can use to hold the barrel tight to the inner mantlet and still get some movement!
At the rate I'm gathering big projects I'm going to have to build on an extension to have room for everything!