Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiger 1 turret project

Re: Tiger 1 turret project

Hopefully now that it warming up I can make some more progress before I start something else,I have a very bad habit of stating something before I finish what I already had started,I should have done the Zimmerit this winter so the turret would be ready when the bunker was done,but those guns caught my attention!

Days like today are perfect to spend a couple hours working on the dio,warm if you are out of the wind,perfect for laying down some plaster, years ago I found some roles of gas station paper towel,the brown course stuff,perfect for doing terrain work! Once all the wire was nailed down and the corners sewn together I started laying down the soaked paper towels, the towel was not nearly as tough as I though it would be,once it was soaked in plaster it was almost impossible to get it transferred to the wire before it fell apart, but I found that by soaking one edge I could get it to stay put then use an old paint brush to spread the plaster onto the rest paper,sticking it to the wire,after it dried I found that by wetting the last layer of plaster I could stick the next layer of paper to it,then using the brush brush on another layer of plaster. You have to work fast because the plaster set so quick,I mix about 3 cups at a time and continually thin the mix as I work,by the time I'm done laying the three cups of plaster it's already harding in the corners of the paint pan that I mix it in,I throw in a little more water and use the last bits to smear over the dried plaster to help even out bumps and folds,I now have three coats of paper and plaster and there is no give in it,tomorrow I'll do some base color!

Looking good!
    A little tip; Put some pigment or a few drops of paint into the plaster before you apply it. It'll get rid of the white colour from any spots you may miss when you come to paint it

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

Thanks reaper! I actually have powdered mortar dye left over from a water fall project that I could have used! Maybe I'll dig it out and put another layer of plaster on just to stiffen it up a little more!

I have all the plaster covered with sand and paint,it might not be a perfect match for German soil but it works! I also got started on the Zimmerit covering for the turret,I've never worked with Milliput before so it was a bit of a learning experience, once I got into it went pretty fast and I like the way it looks,one thing I learned from my research online is that there was many different styles of finish, so I shouldn't have to listen to anyone say"it's not correct", in the picture you can see the gear that I found to do my imprinting,I also used the handle of a scalpel to do the imprinting around the lifting bosses. One thing I found out while working with this stuff is that you need to keep your tools wet,otherwise they want to stick to the putty. I used 5 packages of putty to do what you see done on the turret,unfortunately I ran out before I got to the gun mantlet, so now I have to wait for more to arrive from England!

Turret update! I have it all covered in Zimmerit and painted,I have a few details I want to add,like kill rings on the barrel since this turret was taken from a disabled tank,and numbers on the turret,once I finish the garage in the back ground I'll do some terrain work around the bunker.

This is truly impressive, and huge!
    Mik

After looking at that picture I decided that I really need to block off the end of the scene,being able to see the edges like that is very distracting. I'm waiting for a guy to pick up the rest of model railroad stuff so I can have the rest of my bench to work with,hopefully then I can actually finish this scene!