Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VTS . . . WTF is going on with them?

VTS . . . WTF is going on with them?

See subject.

Most of us know VTS is a part of DAM (same company, but a different brand name and focus/niche).

As of now, there are three (3) figures that are "overdue".

NEW EPOCH COP
    WASTELAND RANGER
    CHAINSAW GIRL

The three figures were announced almost a year ago and have yet to be produced/released.

VTS has since announced/previewed a couple of figures inspired by THE DIVISION of which many are looking forward to with anticipation.

VTS did obtain some publicity (good or bad depending on who you ask) due to the KOTAKU article about "bootleg"/"unlicensed" figures. We really don't know if that really affected them in any way.

We've all read a variety of information/posts here and elsewhere about possible delays by VTS due to the manufacturing/production queue supposedly from the factory they work with.

An @$$hole in Ireland from the Sideshow Freaks Forum claimed the WASTELAND RANGER figure was cancelled, but he and the claim has been long dismissed.

Of course, the tried and true . . . it'll be released when it's produced explanation can always be given and there are other upcoming 1:6 releases for us to spend our $ on . . . asides from some who may have paid a deposit or possibly paid in full the figures yet to be produced/released.

SO . . .

WTF is going with VTS compared to the 1:6 brands/manufacturers that seem to be getting their 1:6 $%^& produced and shipped more or less?

Are we noticing a trend now of more than usual delays generally speaking?

Is it just VTS or others and we just don't notice (or care)?

Is it the end of the world if the mentioned figures end up cancelled/never released?

No, but I suspect some collectors will go the butt hurt route for whatever reasons.
    Last edited by DeltaForceChung; 09-15-2016 at 23:14. Reason: Clarity & Grammar
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Re: VTS . . . WTF is going on with them?

I am still waiting for my Ranger and Chainsaw girl too.

I'm waiting for all three, but what can you do... Sit and wait to see what happens, I guess, since VTS (DAM) isn't talking.

The CICF expo and associated exclusives/prototypes would have pushed back production for other figures in the DAM staple of brands, so I expect we'll see one or more of those in the coming weeks. CICF is their big event for the year in terms of showcasing their products. Other than that it just seems par for the course given the amount of projects DAM takes on.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

Now we know that the Universal Soldier figures have been something of a hit for them, could it be that they are trying to sell the VTS side of things on so that it doesn't come back to bite them should they try to pursue other licenses!? Waiting for viable offers could hold things off.

You never can tell...

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Now we know that the Universal Soldier figures have been something of a hit for them, could it be that they are trying to sell the VTS side of things on so that it doesn't come back to bite them should they try to pursue other licenses!? Waiting for viable offers could hold things off.

You never can tell...

CHEERS!
    That is why many of the 1/6 companies employ a multi-brand strategy, to give the flexibility to release unlicensed products under other brands without effecting their focus brand. VTS is DAM's original brand (one of four) that started their run (some may recall the first of their Blackhawk Down figures was originally branded a VTS release) so I don't see that going away any time soon, especially since their strategy of recent times has been a cutthroat one with respect to competitors.

This isn't the first time a VTS release has been delayed. Two of them are a quarter and a bit late (bog standard for the hobby), and one (chainsaw) is still within the original release window. I suspect at least two of those (epoch and wasteland) figures are delayed as they were very early announcements/rapid prototypes made as somewhat knee jerk reactions to competitor announcements, and the third is a co-branding effort with Phicen if I recall correct.

If there was any reason for alarm their primary distributor would have communicated something to that effect as dealers all have booked orders for multiple releases, and there hasn't been any news to mention there. I'm sure we'll see the all on display when CICF hits in the first week of October.

I wouldn't rule out 'copyright issues'. VTS have ventured into some dangerous territory recently, I know for a fact Ubisoft have been sniffing around following the 'Division' figures...
    ONESIXTHSCALE - News, Reviews and Info from the world of 1/6th
    Latest Review: ACE - Operation Delaware 1968: 1st Cavalry Division

The Division are just generic military figures aren't they? To anyone familiar they certainly are "in the style of" The Division's characters, but I didn't think they represented specific people or specific loadouts, do they?

To be fair I've spent exactly 2 hours with The Division and won't spend any more, I'm assuming these figures are somewhat generic.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadRusch1 View Post
    The Division are just generic military figures aren't they? To anyone familiar they certainly are "in the style of" The Division's characters, but I didn't think they represented specific people or specific loadouts, do they?

To be fair I've spent exactly 2 hours with The Division and won't spend any more, I'm assuming these figures are somewhat generic.
    As far as I'm aware, they're very accurate representations of the game characters... same with the Chainsaw girl one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4dEFCON View Post
    I wouldn't rule out 'copyright issues'. VTS have ventured into some dangerous territory recently, I know for a fact Ubisoft have been sniffing around following the 'Division' figures...
    No more than other companies such as Art Figures.

Copyright issues mean nothing in China. No company could have any means of implementing them. China is the realm of unlicensed and knock off. The only thing a western company could maybe do is try and block imports on a limited territory. Otherwise they are powerless.

Thank God (or whatever)!!!! China releases unlicensed head sculpts! If they didn't it would delete half my collection and work et.

Waiting for Chainsaw Girl here. Even have it fully paid with Ekia.

So what happens when these companies cancel a figure? Do they tell you asap so there won't be any issues getting refunds (lol ya right) or do you just wait until it's July 2017 and go "well ...., guess I'm not gonna get my Chainsaw Girl" and ask your respective toy dealer to give you a refund?

Quote Originally Posted by brazybear View Post
    Waiting for Chainsaw Girl here. Even have it fully paid with Ekia.

So what happens when these companies cancel a figure? Do they tell you asap so there won't be any issues getting refunds (lol ya right) or do you just wait until it's July 2017 and go "well ...., guess I'm not gonna get my Chainsaw Girl" and ask your respective toy dealer to give you a refund?
    Distributors inform dealers if there are any cancellations, any decent retailer would pass that along. Ekia is a DAM distributor for the US so you can always ask them for an update as they may have some idea of when their product is shipping, but communication from brands is pretty infrequent up until a product is very close to release.

If the release was going to get cancelled it would be due to a lack of orders rather than any licensing issues. The odds of it being cancelled are extremely unlikely. The problem is typically with respect to situations like yours where preorders are prepaid and a portion of those customers get paranoid about a release. Unfortunately there is also a lot of misinformation that spreads in the hobby (due to a lack of communication from brands and virtually no marketing from distributors beyond the product announcement and fulfillment), which further muddies the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadRusch1 View Post

There is a patch, which is a stretch and that is about it. Licensing issues would be far more likely with respect to the firearms trademarks that adorn the weapons. The Division literally has countless clothing, equipment, and firearms combinations. The issue is largely irrelevant to DAM anyways as jurisdiction means that the importers of record for the product would be the people potentially effected, as it always has been. For all the hoopla that surrounded DID's Bastian figure for example, the figure was openly offered for sale to all markets with Mr Schweinsteiger's likeness.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    No more than other companies such as Art Figures.
    True, and that didn't work out too great either with their recent <rhymes with bread> figure, where some retailers were served with a cease and desist from representatives of 2000AD who told them to remove them from sale.

Again, UK and European retailers mainly who could be hurt by legal action, didn't seem to bother any of the resellers in Asia.

To be fair though, Art Figures only do unlicensed stuff. If DAM were to pursue more licenses it would make the license holders a little cagey if they looked into the portfolio and found all the VTS stuff which could even be of stuff that the license holder may own licenses to.

If you want to go legit, then you do so and that's it, no little sidelines

CHEERS!

Ah, sounds like they may be touching a little close to home. I gotta admit, as soon as I saw the figure I immediately said "oh, The Division". But I'm a gamer so I never know how much of the rest of the world relates to that.....

I thought Wasteland Ranger was already out in China since I saw photos of people have him in hand and such. If there was any issue arise, it would be the figure shipments were delayed from China to U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    To be fair though, Art Figures only do unlicensed stuff. If DAM were to pursue more licenses it would make the license holders a little cagey if they looked into the portfolio and found all the VTS stuff which could even be of stuff that the license holder may own licenses to.

If you want to go legit, then you do so and that's it, no little sidelines

CHEERS!
    DAM has released unlicensed product under the DAM brand as well as the VTS brand. It really doesn't have much bearing, and were it to, a new brand would be created. Sidelines are the business in China, for the OEM factories as well as the brands themselves. There are only a handful of people behind most of the brands you see.

Quote Originally Posted by chipgau View Post
    I thought Wasteland Ranger was already out in China since I saw photos of people have him in hand and such. If there was any issue arise, it would be the figure shipments were delayed from China to U.S.
    That would likely have been the Art Figures release, the VTS release hasn't been distributed in China.

Chung, just STFU and wait you attention ......

Quote Originally Posted by Kibagami Jubei View Post
    Chung, just STFU and wait you attention ......
    --

You could have easily STFU yourself, but thank you for posting.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chipgau View Post
    Where? Usually when the part outs pop up on eBay, you know the figure's been released.

Quote Originally Posted by ali032373 View Post
    Where? Usually when the part outs pop up on eBay, you know the figure's been released.
    --

Calm down.

The figure has yet to be released anywhere . . . period.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout3 View Post
    Posted on VTS' Facebook:

Yes, currently in China it is a long holiday, we would be lucky if they shipped first thing on Monday.

Come on really we are giving them a hard time.
    UNISOL got showcased and then fell off the radar till they had them ready to go. That was frustrating But in the end we got some Fantastic pieces.

If you want to gripe, gripe at Sideshow, Hot Toys for their Pre Order on a Prototype and then wait 1 to 2 years with barely anything and end results usually pale to prototype.

Nature of the beast I guess is tease, take ouir money and make us wait.
    Would we do this Buying a home, car, TV etc HELL NO but for some reason we happily Pay ahead and hope for the best with the HOBBY!

Still waiting for the Judge Anderson figure to come AND the freaking MAD MAX

Bumping this.
    Anyone hear anything? :/