Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DAMTOYS 1/6 COMBAT GIRL Series -GEMINI - ZONA & VICKY (DCG001~2)

Re: DAMTOYS 1/6 COMBAT GIRL Series -GEMINI - ZONA & VICKY (DCG001~2)

Quote Originally Posted by edwick View Post
    What I don't like: the headsculpts, but those can be replaced easily enough. Also, I'd have preferred a combat shirt rather than the PMC-style plaid, but at least they provided one that covers the midriff (as well as the one that doesn't). And, as zombie1138 pointed out, female-sized plate carriers or body armor would have been nice, too, but I'm OK without them.

What I do like: everything else. Those are pretty vanilla M4's, but DAM does good stuff. They're also coming with new Walther P99 sidearms, which I think is the first one from one of the big boys in the modern era (before this, there was a two-tone black frame/metal slide version in the ZC World weapons set and the POP Toys female agent; then you have to go back to I think DML).

I was on the fence about their Russian female paratrooper, but definitely not on the fence about these.
    What don't you like about the head sculpts? I think they look great. Too pretty?
    Scott

Too pretty.

Too masculine.

Too unrealistic.

Too fashion chic.

Too outdated in terms of gear and weapons.

Too pricey.

We are a difficult lot to please aren't we?

Everyone have different nuances and variations regarding demands and expectations.

I can understand how some may be put off by the head sculpt, but then again I believe DAM did it intentionally to make the figures stand out differently and uniquely compared to their 1:6 mainstream military figures.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

All of Dam's headsculpts share a particular style that makes them undeniably Dam. Those exaggerated features give their sculpts a lot of character yet make them less realistic, too. I wonder if they're all sculpted by the same artist?

Anyways, everything looks damn good. Dam are killing it!
    One Sixth Celebs
    http://www.famousfigures.com

V.I.K.I.: Do you not see the logic of my plan?
    Sonny: Yes, but it just seems too.. heartless.

Well, here's my $0.02...in case you care to read it.

Though these two offerings are a vast improvement from your usual female "tac-ho" (a term that I've repeatedly stated means no offense at all to those who appreciate that genre within the hobby, and one that I find absolutely hilarious), I must say that they do not meet my standards as far as representing the women in modern armed forces.

The clothes is where DAM disappoints me: even if these were meant to represent "PMC's", in this day and age no self-respecting contractor would be caught in an outfit like Zona's, or showing as much cleavage as Vicky. The news are full of reports of sexual harassment/rapes occurring within the confines of both the military and the contracting worlds, hence these outfits IMHO fail to portray how a contractor would really dress like. Interestingly, when you Google images for "female PMC" you find more pics of 1:6 figures than the real deal, though these two are noticeable: Female Private Military Contractors. Again, I believe this is what a female PMC would look like in the real world. Moreover, I find the headsculpts too Olsen-esque and cartoony for my liking.

Having said that, I do like the gear a whole lot, especially the tan/Multicam Zona items. I could see myself going for all the gear and weapons in both sets as loose purchases. Boxed sets would still be an easy pass for me. Anyone interested in a shared purchase (I keep all the gear except the girly-colored watches, you keep the figure and clothes) when these come out, I'm in.

Non-authoritative discourse over...
    Happily collecting 1:6 modern military since 1998, and not a single HT figure ever bought...

Some very nice pieces from both sets for kit-bashing, looking forward to these appearing on the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
    Well, here's my $0.02...in case you care to read it.

Though these two offerings are a vast improvement from your usual female "tac-ho" (a term that I've repeatedly stated means no offense at all to those who appreciate that genre within the hobby, and one that I find absolutely hilarious), I must say that they do not meet my standards as far as representing the women in modern armed forces.

The clothes is where DAM disappoints me: even if these were meant to represent "PMC's", in this day and age no self-respecting contractor would be caught in an outfit like Zona's, or showing as much cleavage as Vicky. The news are full of reports of sexual harassment/rapes occurring within the confines of both the military and the contracting worlds, hence these outfits IMHO fail to portray how a contractor would really dress like. Interestingly, when you Google images for "female PMC" you find more pics of 1:6 figures than the real deal, though these two are noticeable: Female Private Military Contractors. Again, I believe this is what a female PMC would look like in the real world. Moreover, I find the headsculpts too Olsen-esque and cartoony for my liking.

Having said that, I do like the gear a whole lot, especially the tan/Multicam Zona items. I could see myself going for all the gear and weapons in both sets as loose purchases. Boxed sets would still be an easy pass for me. Anyone interested in a shared purchase (I keep all the gear except the girly-colored watches, you keep the figure and clothes) when these come out, I'm in.

Non-authoritative discourse over...
    --

Interesting discourse.

I wonder if we are (possibly) inaccurately believing the recent trend of female "PMC"/"SHOOTER" figures to be reflecting the "modern/real world" operators because they are basically "cosplay/fantasy" themes?

Then again I don't know if the figures were truly implied or marketed as such ("modern/real world")?

While I agree there is a demand/need/want by some for "modern/real world" 1:6 female figures with appropriate/realistic gear to appease the die hard military enthusiasts and female figure enthusiasts, I believe for now such offerings will always be on the "cosplay/fantasy" threshold with a few exceptions every now and then (i.e. DAM's Natalia for example).
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

female division agent kitbash

Now this is more like it. Practical PMC-style female uniforms, with the option of going "sexy" (the tied-at-waist-style shirt) and "less sexy" (the standard shirt). Bravo, DAM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodonit00 View Post
    What don't you like about the head sculpts? I think they look great. Too pretty?
    More just that I'm not a fan of the Olsen twins. On a technical level, the sculpts are quite good -- they're just modeled after people I wasn't really looking for in 1/6.

Quite the cutie pies, I'll be snagging each loose head, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Goobikza View Post
    Quite the cutie pies, I'll be snagging each loose head, anyway!
    If memory serves, the head's peg sizing is proprietary to the DAM body.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

Somewhere between sturgis & warehouse 13 SD

Well, they look very nice, very tempting & they would probably fit in with my other Cool Girl Shooter girls & I get the Olsen twins vibe from these too.

They do look quite good

The sculpt looks good, but a little unreal to me. Like to see it next to other Heads.

The MSRP is approximately $142.00 USD.

The release date is approximately 1ST QTR 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by tofanpw View Post
    They both look the same to me, just different hairstyles.
    Different pants color. I think these figs are based on the Olsen twins based on the likeness and the twin theme going on with the name of the figure series, the faces, and the clothes.

I think they should have made one a brunette to match the twins current look.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor View Post
    “Cleared House: The Mission to Rescue Uncle Jessie”

lol
    It would be so great if Dam toys continues to make figures with the likeness of the Full House casts. It would be for an evil John Stamos figures.

So obviously I can only speak for myself and provide my own opinion. And this is a message board so here's mine.

I try to stay out of the tactical hooker vs realism wars. If there's a market for it, companies can make whatever they want. I do not think these two figures should fall in the realistic category. They certainly are more "classier" and leaning towards the realistic side but I think this is a happy compromise between fantasy and modern military. I actually like these but might just purchase them for parts.

Like I said on the Russian paratrooper figure. I'm very glad DAM Toys are making these figures and I think it's a step in the right direction but personally this wasn't what I was looking for, which I know may be unrealistic to expect at this point. Every niche and particular sub category of ideas has not and may not ever be addressed. Especially if there's not market for it.

So back to the figures themselves. I'm starting to suspect 1/6 companies have trouble creating body armor, plate carriers, and/or vests for females? Is it because of the obviously different upper torsos?

I don't like the Olsen theme but that's just personal preference. I'm sure a lot will dig these. I think they're light on accessories for the price tag but what do you expect with female figures. In terms of clothing and gear, I think these blow VeryCool's similar releases out of the water.
    Breaking tiny radios and sunglasses since 2006
    Sales Thread | Trade References | Want List

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSaber View Post
    It would be so great if Dam toys continues to make figures with the likeness of the Full House casts. It would be for an evil John Stamos figures.
    --

Who knows?

Maybe the next possible Combat Girl figures from DAM will be based on Candice Cameron Bure and Jodie Sweetin? Maybe Lori Loughlin and Andrea Barber too?

Maybe DAM will have a complementing series called Combat Guys with military figures based on John Stamos, Bob Saget, and Dave Coulier?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    If memory serves, the head's peg sizing is proprietary to the DAM body.
    Thanks for the tip, I wonder if it will fit on one of the 3 different Jiaodoll pegs...

Quote Originally Posted by Goobikza View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I wonder if it will fit on one of the 3 different Jiaodoll pegs...
    I have a Hot Toys Ada Wong head on the DAM Spade Ada body, and it's a really tight fit, but it work and sits at the right height as well, so I don't think it's a proprietary size.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    The MSRP is approximately $142.00 USD.

The release date is approximately 1ST QTR 2017.

the bad news that seem so long away, the good news is I know now I can get both. that gives me enough time to have more than enough credits accrued to get both and then some....

I don't know who these twins are, but I'm really happy to see these sets. A good example of why competition is good for the hobby. Hopefully VC will add a full shirt to their future releases.

I really like these female "operative" figures. The important parts for me are the female spcific items: clothing, caps, boots, gloves, etc. Unless they give them some unique firearm, I don't want them loaded down with tons of equipment I already have. One of the things I enjoy is equipping them with stuff from my parts bins (the same is true with my male operators).

If these figures were being marketed as female soldiers of specific units, it would be a different story. In that case accuracy of equipment would be paramount, including how much of it to include.

I guess that must be a $20 shirt! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    LOL, yeah, probably and it'll take longer than a New York minute.

CHEERS!
    lol, yes it will. my only thing is i think need commander elizabeth to lead them. and i might suggest the evil commander Stamos, and general Saget lead the defensive! i seriously like the figures, because they don't waste camo. the full tops, and sport bras are really part of the showstealing that dam has done, not to mention the aviators, but overall the biggest thing is the gear. very similar to verycool's offering but just looks overall better. not exactly sure as to why. i also think the heads look better than the real Olsen sisters do! infact the heads almost look more like they would if the Olsen twins were a little fuller faced in the way their sister Elizabeth is. could the heads be based on her alone, but have the blondes hair? i do know i kinda want zona, but i really am not sure. dam does great work it seems, now hopefully this doesn't go up for po at the same time their police officer does. i wouldn't want to miss either, but i know i cant have both at once.
    Last edited by CobraTrooper11; 07-07-2016 at 00:41.
    Hail Cobra!

--

Interesting discourse.

I wonder if we are (possibly) inaccurately believing the recent trend of female "PMC"/"SHOOTER" figures to be reflecting the "modern/real world" operators because they are basically "cosplay/fantasy" themes?

Then again I don't know if the figures were truly implied or marketed as such ("modern/real world")?

While I agree there is a demand/need/want by some for "modern/real world" 1:6 female figures with appropriate/realistic gear to appease the die hard military enthusiasts and female figure enthusiasts, I believe for now such offerings will always be on the "cosplay/fantasy" threshold with a few exceptions every now and then (i.e. DAM's Natalia for example).
    Some intriguing comments, DFC.

I must confess I have never considered female figures to be made to reflect "cosplay/fantasy themes"; always thought of our hobby as one where our figures are made to emulate reality. I guess this comes from my perennial interest in military themes.

When one looks at these figures and/or uniform sets as inspiration for fantasy 1:6 enthusiasts, or conversely as been inspired by cosplay, there's understandably a different perspective as to why manufacturers produce them.

In the end it's all about diversity within the expanse of this marvelous hobby of ours. To each their own.
    Happily collecting 1:6 modern military since 1998, and not a single HT figure ever bought...

--

Who knows?

Maybe the next possible Combat Girl figures from DAM will be based on Candice Cameron Bure and Jodie Sweetin? Maybe Lori Loughlin and Andrea Barber too?

Maybe DAM will have a complementing series called Combat Guys with military figures based on John Stamos, Bob Saget, and Dave Coulier?

I can see them doing Jodie Sweet in next to cater the collectors who want a big busted military figure.

Speaking of Full House, I binge watched the new series months ago and it was cringe worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout3 View Post
    The way I imagine these (and the VC girls) is as survivors of an apocalypse (zombie or otherwise).

Hence they can wear what they 'Dam' well please!

They scavenge whatever they can to equip-themselves, just as I scavenged Buffy's black jacket and DML Amy's camo shirt for two of my VC girls.

They might've been regular civilians before the disaster, so they'll have raided gun stores, clothing stores, military bases, and so on.
    same here. good post express my sentiments perfectly toward my purchases of 1/6 female and most of my male figures....

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout3 View Post
    I also see all my figures from licensed properties as existing in an expanded universe. That is, not tied to a movie scene, but evoking adventures imagined, or remembered from reading EU novels as in the case of Star Wars.

I received the Eleven Paul Rudd Scott Lang/Ant-Man sculpt last week; and his MC Toys Burglar clothes are being despatched today.

To me that's a figure with a lot of options. He can either be Scott Lang, or he can be Paul Rudd playing a survivor once I've given him some weapons.

Same also for the VTS Darkzone Agent. I've never played the game, and since it's 3rd Person rather than 1st Person I'm not likely to. But it's the sort of figure that would fit in with these girls.

I am planning on getting that MC Burglar outfit and I am going to use it as a survivor of my post Apocalypse/zombie/Nuclear holocaust zombie world. maybe I will use the Paul Rudd head sculpt too. I just hope the twins head sculpt will fit on a Phicen body....

If you would've told me that someone would make sexy soldiers out of the Olsen twins I would've thought you were crazy...

Actually they don't look exactly like them. Was never into them in the first place but I did a search just now and...well, how can I put this nicely? They've definitely seen better days.

But these figures are gorgeous. Definitely gonna get Zona. Didn't even have to think about it. I'm choosing her over the other one because I like her hair better. She'll go great with the VC Black Shooter. Now I just need a sexy cop...