Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: PHICEN Limited | Eartha Kitt: Femme Fatale | PL-2014-57

PHICEN Limited | Eartha Kitt: Femme Fatale | PL-2014-57

See subject.

PHICEN Limited | 1:6 Scale Action Doll | Eartha Kitt: Femme Fatale | PL-2014-57

Eartha Mae Kitt was an international star who performed in film, theater, cabaret, music and on television. Ms. Kitt was one of the rare talents nominated for a Tony (three times), the Grammy (twice), and Emmy Award (twice). Her Broadway stardom led to recording best-selling records including “Love for Sale”, “I Want to Be Evil”, “Santa Baby” and “Folk Tales of the Tribes of Africa” which earned her a Grammy nomination. Singing in ten different languages, Ms. Kitt performed in over 100 countries and honored with a star on “The Hollywood Walk of Fame” in 1960. In 1966, she received an Emmy nomination for her role in the series, “I Spy”. In 1967, Ms. Kitt made an indelible mark on pop culture as the infamous “Catwoman” in the television series “Batman.” She immediately became synonymous with the role and her trademark growl became imitated worldwide. Ms. Kitt’s distinctive voice enchanted young fans as YZMA, the villain in Disney’s animated feature “The Emperor’s New Groove” and its sequel as well as the subsequent cartoon series for which she won Emmy and Annie awards.

PARTS LIST:

• Ankle Boots (1 Pair)
    • Baby Tiger
    • Belt
    • Eyeshade
    • Figure Base
    • Four Color Packaging
    • Head Sculpt
    • Interchangeable Claw Hands (3 Pairs)
    • PHICEN Seamless Female Figure Body w/ Plastic Armature
    • Removable Sleevelets (1 Pair)
    • Tight Jumpsuit

The MSRP is approximately $150.00 USD.

The release date is approximately 4TH QTR 2016.

--

"Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Re: PHICEN Limited | Eartha Kitt: Femme Fatale | PL-2014-57

so still no AA stainless steel? Got to pass, although I wish I didn't have to.

that is a dam shame. no SS body? I will sadly pass. why in the hell would they make this a NON-SS body. I am sure there are those who would have love to upgrade their Hot Toys Sheva (myself included) to a Seamless body. but I will not spend 150 for a Plastic skeleton body.....I am very disappointed in Phicen on this one....

Aw hells no! Neither this Eartha Kitt nor Julie Newmar have enough resemblance to get picked out of a police line-up. Especially where Phicen license directly with actresses to get out of paying to license the character, that kind of non-resemblance is outright offensive.

Between the two of them, Eartha Kitt should have had a slight edge as 1) the slight more accurate sculpt, and 2) a more unusual African American woman who doesn't look all Barbie/Beyoncé. But then she gets undercut by the regressive plastic skeleton. And you know, this isn't "we learned from the steel skeleton and used that knowledge to pioneer a better cheaper plastic skeleton." This is more like, "we don't make a lot of African Americans, so let's use up those old stock plastic AA bodies wasting in the warehouse." Ugh! Phicen's done a lot right lately but these are one major fumble. IMHO.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Somewhere between sturgis & warehouse 13 SD

I do agree, that is a shame & major step backwards or two for Phicen back about two years to 2014 the same time period as Little Red Riding Hood PL2014-48 & her Plastic Armature. And yes I know Phicen really doesn't care what we think about it!

Very easy pass!

Feel free to convey feedback to PHICEN through the following channels.

Sure. They may not care, but enough 1:6 collectors/customers like us provide clear, concise, and legitimate/valid feedback to them, then they're going to have to take notice.

E-MAIL:

info@phicen.com

FACEBOOK:

https://www.facebook.com/iphicen/?fref=ts
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

I saw this after the disappointing Julie Newmar one and all I can say is boo to this one too. The only good thing is a new African-American female hs... which would be perfect if it wasn't supposed to be Eartha Kitt.
    http://LaSirenofEire.deviantart.com

A plastic skeleton- really?

At least the boots are nice. I'm trying to find something positive to say...

Quote Originally Posted by onesixthwarrior View Post
    A plastic skeleton- really?

At least the boots are nice. I'm trying to find something positive to say...
    --

Don't hold back.

Post/tell us how you really feel.

Don't forget to post/tell that to PHICEN as well by e-mail and on Facebook.

Is it just me or its kinda make sense to go with a cheaper body since the suit covered it completely? Probably to keep the cost down? But if that the case why not just sell the suit & head sculpt separately? Not sure what Phicen doing here

I wonder just how much say Phicen has in all this. They're probably just the "factory", and are told to keep costs down for maximum profit. Although how much profit can you make on the possible six POs. I hope they haven't already waisted time putting these in to production, because I can see all three of these latest announcements going the way of Honey West.

ER/GoHero/Phicen would be better off not trying to do figures based on real people, and stick to the comic book properties. Actually, Phicen would be better off severing ties with those other companies altogether.

In the UK, Eartha Kitt is rhyming slang, and I'm tempted to say it's almost apt for this figure.

CHEERS!

If they wanted to keep costs down, they could have used a jointed body. They used one for an earlier figure, didn't they? Many of these companies assume that customers who buy these licensed figures are going to keep them on a shelf and hardly use them anyway, let alone bash them. In that scenario, who would care that the figure has a jointed body, given that this one is almost completely covered by the outfit.

We have caucasian and asian Skin tone Bodys.... i hoped they made a african one

The little tiger could be something. The rest...

UPDATE 5/27/2016

I received an e-mail reply from PHICEN.

I also received a reply through Facebook IM as well.

The e-mail reply (thus far) does not appear to be a generic reply. The reply came from the same contact some of us may be aware of when we contacted PHICEN a year or so ago to show our support for SMcG Customs.

The Facebook IM reply came off sounding a bit generic.

I'm in the process of vetting the e-mail reply.

It appears the e-mail I sent reached the right contact(s)/individual(s) at PHICEN who is aware of what is going on.

If anyone really wants to make and take the effort and time in contacting PHICEN with your feedback on the Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar figure, then do it.

When sending the e-mail, be clear, concise, and not harsh (if it can be helped). The contact(s)/individual(s) at PHICEN knows how to READ English, but not necessarily comprehend the nuances and tones. As an Asian, I know exactly what that means and it's true.

info@phicen.com

Why even bother if you are not going to try? The ONLY thing that really matters with either of the Cat Women is their freaking FACE. Nail that and I could deal with a lot going on in the body/outfit but this is atrocious.

If this is really a figure designed and even manufactured in 2011 and held back in the vault, I might be more charitable, and that's consistent with the look of the figure and the applicable facts. The Bluewater Comics "The Mis-Adventures of Adam West" and "The Secret Lives of Julie Newmar" in 2011 -- so it's likely the figures and the comics were supposed to be out around the same time, as joint licensing, but something fell apart.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Weird choice, I've been clamoring for a decent AA female fig, but this one has 0 kitbash potential with the clawed hands. Phicen probably cares naught for the humble kit-basher, but perhaps this will lead to better offerings in the future. Maybe I'll snag the head and stash it away.

Like Julie Newmar, not a bad figure as long as you don't care about the headsculpt, body, or outfit.

I'm also baffled why both figures are using the plastic skeleton seamless body when the jointed all-plastic body they used for Wilma Deering would have worked just as well. I suspect there's a story behind that we aren't privy to, relating to the original license.

Oh, well. I can't even get behind this figure as a hope that we'll get more AA figures in the future.

to be honest I am glad they turned out to be crap. now I don't have torture myself trying to get them. hope the next couple of sets is the same crap.

When these Julie and Eartha figures bomb (and they will) I hope no one at Hot Toys thinks "See, we were absolutely right not to go any further with the Batman '66 line".

Catwoman '66 figures made equal to Phicen's current standard, plus headsculpts having decent resemblance to the actresses -- that would have been a very different story.

Its a meh for me. Novel to do this, of all possible figures, but not anything I'm interested in.

who are these ugly ladies they launched lately... scratch head

Quote Originally Posted by navetsea View Post
    who are these ugly ladies they launched lately... scratch head
    --

Eartha Kitt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eartha_Kitt

Julie Newmar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Newmar

The ladies in 1:1 real life are not ugly from the period they're protrayed.

The 1:6 head sculpts of them were designed/produced cheaply and is an insult to the actresses they're supposed to resemble.

ooo cat women... now all make sense...

Damn Shame they finally get around to making a African female 1/6 figure and this is the best they could do? they really do think we will buy anything....

They didn't even get her mask right. Or her cat sidekick. Or her costume. The face is fugly, the hair looks poorly done, and everything else about it is wrong.