One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

My Haul Picture 80's Toy Show Mississauga-Show Pics Added

World at War (WWI, WWII, & Civil Wars) 
2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Fred_IV 
#1 · (Edited)
My wife and I spent the day yesterday manning my table at the 80's Toy Show in Mississauga, ON. Awesome Day. Mad e a little spending money, met some great people.
While we were setting up, I noticed across the aisle a bunch of bins full of Dragon WWII stuff. I ran acroos, had a quick look, and promised the gentleman I would be back. Well, I did go back, several times. And spent a good chunk of my weekly allowance there.

We got to chatting and it turns out he was a member here once and his handle was Canadianonesixth (?), Canadian1/6th(?). I must confess that I don't really remember him during his time here but I am guilty of not always reading names or locations when I am reading a post. Just thought I would write this to let anyone who does remember him that Jim is still alive and kicking and is a great guy.

I got gas masks for $1, helmets for $1, boots and gaiters for $1. He had uniform sets with bodies for $25 and when I tried to buy one he told me to give him $20. Now I had already been there 4 times by then, lol. Right at the end of the show I ran over to get a rifle and he told me to take whatever I needed for free and handed me a giant grocery bag, as he wanted to support my art. I somehow resisted the urge to tip all of his bins of loose uniforms, rifles, helmets, pouches, gas masks, and boots into the giant garbage bag he had given me and just take items that I really felt I could use. Then, while I was doing that, his equally cool wife came up and gave me a little ziploc bag with a loaf of bread, slice of bread, salami (?), and a little fork in it. And to top it off, I somehow dropped one of my stands under the table packing up, his wife saw it and chased my wife down through the crowded hall to give it back to us. Amazing, amazing couple and they made for an amazing day.

Needless to say I see some Nazi Zombies and some cool Post Apocalyptic figures in my future. So thanks again to Jim and the lovely Mrs. Jim (to my discredit I never got her name).

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: My Haul Picture 80's Toy Show Mississauga

That's great, what a nice story. I wish I'd known about this show - it's about a 20 minute drive from my place. Do they have it every year?
It was my first time but I believe they have them every year. There is also an action figure show at the same venue run by the same people on July 17, 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/events/194985444203134/

Now whether Jim will be there or not, I have no idea. But the show this weekend was chock full of tons of 1/6th stuff, as well as figures in all the other scales.

#3 ·

These stories are always great reads, where good people find each other. Congrats, thainer and to your better half. Well done to Jim and his Missus as well.

#5 ·

A BUCK FOR GERMAN HELMETS ! I would have purchased everything on his table just to let him know how COOL I thought he was ! :clap:gimme:dancing

You did great and I love to hear these kind of stories . Restores your faith in people being decent to one another !

Don't forget to "Pay it forward " someday. I give stuff away as often as I can and now we have a new registered member who is hooked on 1:6.

Hoping my nephews get the bug long term as well. They love playing with the stuff I give them.

Congrats, you are my hero of the week !

#6 ·

A BUCK FOR GERMAN HELMETS ! I would have purchased everything on his table just to let him know how COOL I thought he was ! :clap:gimme:dancing

You did great and I love to hear these kind of stories . Restores your faith in people being decent to one another !

Don't forget to "Pay it forward " someday. I give stuff away as often as I can and now we have a new registered member who is hooked on 1:6.

Hoping my nephews get the bug long term as well. They love playing with the stuff I give them.

Congrats, you are my hero of the week !
Thanks. Jim was a geat guy and very enthusiastic about helping me out. I hope to run into him again just to make sure he knows how much I appreciate his help.

And I, hopefully, did my part to inspire the next generation. At the table next to me were two women selling a lot of higher end pop culture collectible stuff. Along for the ride was one lady's son, a nine year old, who spent most of the day in front of m table.

He started out by asking if I would take $45 for my McF zombie Jimmy Howard that I had marked at $50. I told him sure thing. Being built primarily out of flea market finds the ticket prices on my stuff often differ drastically from what I actually get for them. When he dug in his wallet and found $21, I said, "Sold."

At one point he was actually handing out business cards for me. He had a couple of conversations with myu wife, probably while I was at Jim's table, asking her how I did all this stuff, and telling her he wished he wished he could come and watch me make something. My wife and I decided, later, that there is way too much smoking and cursing involved for me to have a 9 year old boy in my work room.

Near the end of the show he expressed a deep interest in purchasing Mad Mickey (which I had priced at $150) I told him the lowest I could go was $75. He then started frantically calling his dad who was coming to pick them up, to see if dad would buy it for him. Dad finally shows up, doesn't have any money for him. I thought he was going to break down but I just couldn't give Mickey away-it was a big draw at the table. Finally just as Mickey is about to be packed up, he comes over with a handful of cash and takes Mickey home.

I have a bit of a tradition, as well, where if someone I meet at a show is super enthusiastic about my stuff, or supportive or just cool, they get a gift. So just before we left, I went over and made a little presentation of another zombie goalie I had done (probably my last one ever) just to show him how much I appreciated his appreciation.

Hopefully, I have started another mad scientist down the road to tearing his toys apart and putting them back together according to his vision.

#10 ·
I love a person who can give as good as they get. What you did for the kid was seen and you'll reap the rewards one day.

Karma works both ways.

Sounds to me like you had a pretty damn good day...for which is all any of us can ask.

:thumb

#12 ·
Wow, just my luck. Sadly I couldn’t fit in both the Mississauga May 1 toy show and the Oakville April 24 so I skipped yesterday’s, meaning that reading this thread is kind of depressing. I’ve been to virtually all of their past shows of the 80’s Toy Expo / Action Figure Expo group (except the days that were Transformers only), as well as all but two of the quarterly Burlington/Oakville toy shows since 2009, and none of them ever had a meaningful 1/6 presence before, let alone being “chock full of tons of 1/6th stuff” -- in 15 years of doing shows in the Toronto area I’ve never seen anything like that. Usually the best you can hope for is a very few overpriced Hot Toys, a handful of 12” wrestlers or power rangers, some possibly re-purposable Barbie stuff, and maybe one table of old Joes. Obviously I picked the wrong show to miss. Congrats to those who went.

#13 ·
THIS THREAD IS WHY EVERYONE SHOULD ATTEND SHOWS!!!

Deals on older, hard to find figures that rarely pop up online. The same for loose parts. And - you can hopefully meet up with some of the guys from the boards and talk about the hobby.

Shows are great and more people should make an effort to attend them, if at all possible.

Nice haul, thainer!

Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.