Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast

Thread: VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)

Re: VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby-Galaxy View Post
    Quick HK cellphone shots w/ bad lighting/angle --> viral panic on SSF --> $h!t storm of screaming & cursing --> people jumping off cliff to cancel orders --> better pictures surface --> in hand review confirms quality --> things cool down, life moves on

Seen it so many times, never fails.
    True that! Finally some news!
    "If symptoms persist... insult your doctor."

Quick HK cellphone shots w/ bad lighting/angle --> viral panic on SSF --> $h!t storm of screaming & cursing --> people jumping off cliff to cancel orders --> better pictures surface --> in hand review confirms quality --> things cool down, life moves on

Seen it so many times, never fails.
    but is that not the real test of a great headsculpt....that it looks good (like the prototype in this case) under bad lighting,bad camera etc..

Don't get me wrong, I like this head, I am not canceling my pre-orders...but most really good heads look good under all kinds of different lighting conditions.

And for the record, I was one who actually like the Art Figures head of her as well...
    " and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:
    http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cru...?sort=3&page=1

If any one wants to see one broken down what it looks like including the loose body...one seller here....here is his head photo

VTS 1:6 VM-013 New Epoch Cop Judge Dredd Figure - Head Sculpt | eBay

Blowing this pic up to astronomical size, shows they over did the gloss on the eyes...
    " and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:

Quote Originally Posted by crusader1xxx View Post
    but is that not the real test of a great headsculpt....that it looks good (like the prototype in this case) under bad lighting,bad camera etc...
    In a way it is, kinda extreme though as we all know a professional photography setting can make the difference between day and night on the exact same item. I just find it funny how people go through the same cycle over and over again, sometimes I think the HK folks are doing it intentionally just to get some laugh over the reaction on the other side of the world.

Statues, Action Figures, Model Kits and More

Quote Originally Posted by crusader1xxx View Post
    but is that not the real test of a great headsculpt....that it looks good (like the prototype in this case) under bad lighting,bad camera etc..

Don't get me wrong, I like this head, I am not canceling my pre-orders...but most really good heads look good under all kinds of different lighting conditions.

And for the record, I was one who actually like the Art Figures head of her as well...
    This. Personally I feel that for many brands the quality of paint applications for female figures are nowhere near as good or as consistent for what they are doing with male figures. I'm not sure why this is as the promos often look very well done with subtle tones and variations to give structure, whereas the final products often end up with more of a flat feel.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    This. Personally I feel that for many brands the quality of paint applications for female figures are nowhere near as good or as consistent for what they are doing with male figures. I'm not sure why this is as the promos often look very well done with subtle tones and variations to give structure, whereas the final products often end up with more of a flat feel.
    I agree with the comment on female head vs. male head, part of it is probably because (warning for political incorrectness), much like Hollywood, people in general prefer young, non-ugly (as Joey Tribbiani puts it ) female head with silky smooth skin, while with the male heads, folks are open to all kinds of ruggedness, age and shape. When it is a doll face, I guess it's hard to paint it otherwise.

As to final product turns out flat compared to promo, well, shine it with cellphone flashlight will guarantee to do the trick.

Statues, Action Figures, Model Kits and More

I agree with the comment on female head vs. male head, part of it is probably because (warning for political incorrectness), much like Hollywood, people in general prefer young, non-ugly (as Joey Tribbiani puts it ) female head with silky smooth skin, while with the male heads, folks are open to all kinds of ruggedness, age and shape. When it is a doll face, I guess it's hard to paint it otherwise.

As to final product turns out flat compared to promo, well, shine it with cellphone flashlight will guarantee to do the trick.
    They are just sculpted not as well, with many still having the flat half faced doll look from 10 years ago. This is where the promo paint apps are usually very good, adding in those details to give the appearance of cheekbone structure and such. With some of the female heads, its like the before and after of a Noel Cruz paint job, although not as extreme. The male face is definitely easier to add details as nobody minds when you simulate skin texture, moles, freckles, measles, and the odd goatee. On a female character these are typically verboten.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

The hair really needs sorting out... not sure what I'll do about that. Certainly not having her wearing her helmet. Lots of photos and finding something to 'freeze' the hair when I'm happy with it.

Just a quick note to say that lighting in a photo can change the look of the same headsculpt completely, just as it can in any portrait shot. I did 2 photos of the Kimi Toyz KT008 head, first with light from all sides:

Kimi Toyz KT008 Headsculpt Portrait by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

It's a pretty good shot and shows what the head looks like fine. But if I turn one light in the front off, you see a lot more of the headsculpt's cheekbone structure and dimension:

Kimi Toyz KT008 Headsculpt Portrait by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

I'll probably start futzing with a standard lighting setup for headsculpt portraits in the future. I am also going to be getting this figure soon, and she'll be going in the lightbox when I do.

I got Anderson a few days ago. After taking these pics, I was able to adjust the vest by pulling it down a bit, giving her a little extra neck length, which I think improves the look. A couple of my pics are missing the extra forearm sleeves. They are really too tight to pull completely over the jacket's sleeves and actually keep the wrist pegs from properly seating.

here's how mine ended up (so far)

Replaced the vest and 70% of the belt kit to be more in line with the Art Figures Dredd - the grenade, breach mine and buckle on the VTS are horrible (IMHO) and the vest, alsthough the torso is nice the shoulders are horrible...sorry I'm an ubergeek when i comes to this uniform

I also lightly repainted the head sculpt to give her a bit more colour in her cheeks, (darken and thicken the eyebrows and a light touch of eyeliner as per the film character) and cut a considerable amount of hair which is way too long. I will cut more once my panic levels drop

I've painted and weathered the knee and elbow pads, repainted the top portion of the Lawgiver which is actually a satin black not grey and weathered lightly so as not to look so pristine.

The real downside with this figure is the hands that just pop out randomly (stuffed some blutac to help stop that) and the gauntlets that don't even fit over the wrists - I've addressed that by cutting very slightly into the bottom cuff which leaves a bit of extra space to allow them to fit better and not help force the hands off...

VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-_a310125-jpg

VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-_a310131-jpg

VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-_a310134-jpg

VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-untitled-1-jpg

VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-16508252_1244002102381797_8390343894857731387_n-jpg
    "All men are cremated equal" - Spike Milligan

Saucy props and artworks...https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy

Mine is still on the way, but I've already started buying replacement gear to get over the deficiencies I've read about. To be honest I think I'd have been better ordering the Art Figures one and looking for a loose VTS head.

I swapped out the the VTS belt for the Art Figures' belt. I wish I grabbed AF's boots because hard boots with no ankle movement are one of my pet peeves.

I think the AF boots are plastic too?

Quote Originally Posted by plastique View Post
    I think the AF boots are plastic too?
    That's what I thought and it's why I didn't purchase a pair, but then I read a comment that AF's boots were more flexible. Judging by the pictures, AF's male boots seem to be a combo of plastic and soft material.

I'm still waiting for my order to ship. :/

According to KG Toy, VTS split production and they aren't expected to get the rest until towards the end of this month.

Hope it comes through....

Quote Originally Posted by gunm View Post
    I'm still waiting for my order to ship. :/

According to KG Toy, VTS split production and they aren't expected to get the rest until towards the end of this month.

Hope it comes through....
    I got the same reply..
    They said they only received half of ordered amount..
    Odd... I thought I ordered very early the same day it was posted on KG

KG told me it was because of the Chinese New Year.

Mine arrived from Kit at onesixthkit some time back, have received the replacement mines and vest from the AF version. Swapping over the shoulder tabs and replacing the belt loops with leather. Will be replacing the hair, I think.

The AF male boots have plastic 'shoe' portion and a pleather leg section with a moulded plastic shield on the shin. Dredd's is made of better material than those of Alvarez.

Finally got shipping notice from KG...

Mine is still marked as "awaiting shipping" on my KG account page
    Come on, I've been waiting since November 2015

I have had mine for awhile now. I have 3 of the AF ones so if I need to switch things I can.
    I have not taken this one out of the box yet, when I do I will touch up the paint on the face, futz the hair etc
    I still really like this one...I think a combination of both is needed to get the best figure
    My Photo Album:

Come on KG Hobby, just post the bloody thing!!!

When is this expected to hit US retailers? Anyone know?

KG told me mine was being sent out today, though I've not had a status change on my order yet. This waiting is starting to get on my nerves lol

Recieved my Anderson from Onesixthkit a few weeks ago. Have set about making it more screen accurate.
    Before repaint
    VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-p_20170219_122028-jpg
    After repaint VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-p_20170219_130507-jpg
    Buckle after repaint and bending
    VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-p_20170219_122351-jpg

Replaced the VTS vest with the Art Figures one as it has better shoulders and collar. However I kept the VTS shoulder pull tap greeblies as they are way more accurate. Replaced the belt attachments with more accurate leather ones and painted the zipper to be brass.
    VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-p_20170219_131136-jpg
    VTS Toys :1/6 NEW EPOCH COP (VM-013)-p_20170219_131143-jpg

Doing the knee pads and then her hair.

Impressive attention to detail and mods, Alastair. Too bad the VTS shoulder armor didn't come out as good as advertised.
    Learned a new word today... "greeblies"...
    "If symptoms persist... insult your doctor."

First time I heard greebles was in reference to small details used to dress up SF models to make them look busy and... detailed.

Oh, and my Anderson is now on her way at long last!

Quote Originally Posted by plastique View Post
    First time I heard greebles was in reference to small details used to dress up SF models to make them look busy and... detailed.
    It started with the props department on the first Star Wars. When they were taking all their bits and parts for the sets and droids etc through customs in Tunisia, they didn't know what to label them as so just made up a word.