Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Verdun. Bleed them White. June- november 1916

Verdun. Bleed them White. June- november 1916

Thankyou first of all to all your very encouraging replys to the first part of this exploration of the development of the german uniform during the battle of Verdun.
    One of my main objectives with this action figure project was to show a German soldier at various stages of the battle. I’ve always enjoyed making models from when I was a child and I like combining the versatility of the posing one can do with an action figure and the building of scenic bases to set the figure on and depict the battlefield in which the soldier fought.
    By May 1916 the battle had taken a staggering toll on both sides. It was at this time the Stahlhelm was introduced, making the final transition of the image of the German soldier that would last up until the end of the conflict.
    The Sideshow helmet is very good; the only improvement made was to eradicate the mould lines running across the top and sides. I repainted it and then weathered the helmet using a German green Tamyia spray paint.
    The Stahlhelm though a vast improvement on the picklehaub was not without drawbacks, it impeded hearing a little, was heavy and slid on the head but it offered better protection from the debris of shell bursts.
    The Landser has covered his helmet with mud to reduce the shine and reflection of the sunlight on it. Already lightly wounded in the hand he risks infection from the disease-ridden water all around. The broken skeleton of a French soldier lies in a bombed out trench that is now practically filled in after months of continual bombardment.
    The summer months are approaching and in the heat the stench of death makes environment unbearable. It truly is a vision of hell on earth.
    I'd have liked to have made a deeper trench but this was a first attempt and to minimise the size and bulk of the base I opted for a filled in trench.

The Base

A dead sheep was the reference for the skeleton on the base.

At first I was going to make a skeleton from epoxy putty but I found an old 1/6th air fix model skeleton on the Internet. The human skull comes from a set made recently by a Chinese company. The sculpture is excellent. Apart from a repaint it fitted perfectly with the rest of the skeleton.

I preferred a round base so it could be looked at from all angles and I used a wall clock frame glued onto a round kitchen cutting board. Polystyrene packaging cut in to shape making the relief. For the remains of the trench I used a garden border made from intertwined twigs. The Barbed wire poles are made of twigs and the wire hand made.
    As I wanted to show the remains of a quickly constructed front line trench the only element used were wooden. The polystyrene was covered in wall plaster and left to dry overnight with the skeleton and wooden pieces stuck into it. The masking tape held everything together overnight as it dried. The base is protected from the painting process by masking tape.

Once the plaster is dry a sand mix was sprinkled over white wood glue.

A black games workshop undercoat sealed everything in before painting.

Photo montages

Thanks for Looking in.

Last edited by Stahlrollin; 09-02-2008 at 08:31.

A truly incredible piece of work. The details are incredible and the photos even make them more so. Very nicely done work on every level.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

What a stunning figure! I'm in awe of your work - I'm bookmarking this for KOTM for September.

That a beautiful piece! Great dio as well! Agree that this is a KOTM choice of nominee.

BTW, Is that an ammo bandoleer around his neck in the first pic? It looks like the FJ version. I hadn't realised they went back to WW1.

I love it! Will second Ray's nomination for KOTM!
    WTS and WTB thread
    Trade Reference SOD OFF! I have 7 pages of Positive TRADE REFS! QUIT thinking everyone is out to con you!

Stunning work all around, the details are absolutely incredible.

I love your pieces, you take time to include so much detail and that increases realism. Adding the skeleton was a good choice, a horrible fact of that war. I like the head sculpt too, you did a marvelous repaint, he looks so war weary. What sculpt did you use? Once again great work!

Man that is some amazing work. I had actually just watched a special on Verdun this weekend. Your work captures it with amazing detail, pretty awesome.

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Outstanding

xavier

Wow, absolutely fantastic work!!!
    -mike-

Outstanding, simply outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionMan View Post
    BTW, Is that an ammo bandoleer around his neck in the first pic? It looks like the FJ version. I hadn't realised they went back to WW1.
    HI action man yes that is the forerunner to the Fj bandoleer, as the soldiers went across no mans land the normal ammo pouches snagged on the ground.
    There was so much inovation in ww1 that really only got exploited fully in the second world war.

Thanks for all the replys on this figure.

Superb figure!! Greta work!!!
    BUT! The skeleton wouldnt be that decomposed, especially if its 1916,the start of the war, i would personally add some flesh and hair etc.
    Apart from that, really great work!!!

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

Quote Originally Posted by 88Reaper88 View Post
    Superb figure!! Greta work!!!
    BUT! The skeleton wouldnt be that decomposed, especially if its 1916,the start of the war, i would personally add some flesh and hair etc.
    Apart from that, really great work!!!
    Rats, the rats, the damn things eat everything. did you ever see the picture that marked me as a child of a dead german soldier lying in a trench. Everything intact except the face, just a skull. bloody rats, I hate them
    I didnt want to go too gory and the green liquid is the decomposed intestines mixed with poison gas that accumulated in the water.

The craftsmanship is amazing!
    very good looking figure.
    HOOAH!
    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY....

"Lost One, are you lost Two over?".....

John
    I don't know what I love more, the figure or the base! Love the details in the mud like the Adrian helmet with the bullet hole. You only have to read 'Storm of Steel' to realise that this is actually how parts of WW1 battlefields were like. Very familiar with the B&W pic you posted also. It's one of those iconic WW1 photos that crop up everywhere. I think it was also the first time I saw a skull still attached to a body and not a skeleton.
    Great work again

Andy
    "Soldiers, prepare! Our cause is heaven's cause;
    Prepare, O troops that are to fall today!
    Prepare, prepare"
    William Blake (1757-1827)

February 2013 KotM

Wonderful , detailed work. Like your last posted figure , your skills transform the SST offering into something really classy .

Amazing, inspiring, touching. I really love your work. It brings what I expect the most from a figure : emotion.
    Usually, I'm not a big fan of gory dio but this one is more subtle and so brilliantly executed. It deserves another KotM nomination, definitively.

Thanks for sharing
    Sylvain

BRAVO!!!!

An absolutly stunning piece of work! Superbly worked base also. The green goo you can almost smell it in all its horror!

Cya,
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

wow that is truly both horrifying and amazing all in one. beautiful artistry.

i can smell that green puddle of biohazardous decay from here.

nuts, absolutely nuts, sick fig though man
    Never get off the boat

Great work. The details are amazing

Nice work!

Nicely done, the dio looks very realistic!

Niels

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful work on a most ghastly subject. The figure is fantastic, but the base is simply mind-blowing. Sir, this is 1:6 artistry of the highest level.
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

Fantastic dio, very realistic.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Amazing work, man!

Wow skills in bashing, dio and photography! You da man!
    If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail

The reality of war eh?.......This is simply incredible!!!!...you have just about covered everything with this beautifully created dio.
    It goes some way to show the conditions these poor blokes had to live in during their time in the trenches and on the battlefield.
    The figure is a fantastic portrayal of the German soldier at the time of Verdun,...he is excellent.

You have captured it brilliantly!!!

Neil.