Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Looking for someone with experience doing HT Iron Man repaints

Looking for someone with experience doing HT Iron Man repaints

Specifically, I would like my Hot Toys Mark 33 to be more comic book accurate. It's basically just a matter of repainting the arms and legs. I photoshopped what I want it to look like (attached below). Anyone who has experience repainting HT Iron Man armors able to do this? PM me an estimate and some examples of your previous work. Thanks!

Re: Looking for someone with experience doing HT Iron Man repaints

What are you most worried about, disassembly or the paint? I build a lot of Iron Man figures but I don't do commission work, I can however help talk you through it if you like?
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    What are you most worried about, disassembly or the paint? I build a lot of Iron Man figures but I don't do commission work, I can however help talk you through it if you like?
    Disassembly is what is scaring me the most and keeping me from doing this project myself. Aside from popping off the arms and legs, I've never disassembled my figures before.

There is a shop in Singapore Forty42 he ever transfomed a Ironman III to gunmetal version for a customer request

https://www.facebook.com/FORTY42

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

yep, forty42 is an iron man repainting master

also repairs damaged figures too.

Ive done a few IM repaints and the disassembly wouldnt be my issues. The joints use a basic ball and socket. My issue would be trying to match the silver paint to the original figure. If you cant get an exact match then youd have to repaint the silver parts of the whole figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jerichoholic View Post
    Disassembly is what is scaring me the most and keeping me from doing this project myself. Aside from popping off the arms and legs, I've never disassembled my figures before.
    Well looking at your planned paint upgrades you only really need to pop the arms and legs off, you'll need a steady hand either way to get crisp lines. I'll have a look at my Centurion later and take some pics taking it apart for you (don't worry I actually am a mechanic! ) as long as it won't damage his paint since I keep him in the non BD mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ali032373 View Post
    Ive done a few IM repaints and the disassembly wouldnt be my issues. The joints use a basic ball and socket. My issue would be trying to match the silver paint to the original figure. If you cant get an exact match then youd have to repaint the silver parts of the whole figure.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Awesome, thanks so much guys for all your help!

Are some of the parts that need disassembled glued on by the factory? How do you get those off without ruining or breaking anything? Also, do I need any special tools?

You'll need a set of mini screwdrivers flat blade and Philips but they're really cheap to buy, you might need a light weight picture frame hammer to knock pins out using one of the above mentioned screwdrivers as a drift, aside from that just a good clear work space that won't scratch your figure. A rubber coated modelling vice is always useful too, again very cheap on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    You'll need a set of mini screwdrivers flat blade and Philips but they're really cheap to buy, you might need a light weight picture frame hammer to knock pins out using one of the above mentioned screwdrivers as a drift, aside from that just a good clear work space that won't scratch your figure. A rubber coated modelling vice is always useful too, again very cheap on eBay.
    Cool, I have all of that minus the modelling vice. I'll have to pick one of those up. Thanks! Looking forward to the pictures!

All you really need is this....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for someone with experience doing HT Iron Man repaints-image-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jerichoholic View Post
    Cool, I have all of that minus the modelling vice. I'll have to pick one of those up. Thanks! Looking forward to the pictures!
    Sorry for the delay I'm into 1:1 gunsmithing at the moment and it's been taking up all my time. I'll have a look at him now as I'm fed up with machining metal for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Auret View Post
    All you really need is this....

The silver Sharpies actually work really well! Use the large and small ones then clear coat after leaving to dry. I use them on my Transformers as I don't want to prime them first (oh dear what a pun! Optimus Prime etc..).

Have you considered silver plating? Apparently it can be done at home, and the results seems to be really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Warge View Post
    Have you considered silver plating? Apparently it can be done at home, and the results seems to be really great.
    That's news to me, I remember doing it with metal in chemistry class but not plastic.

OK, took some pictures for you of the Centurion armour with an arm and leg off. They should show you how to get the best access to the areas you want to paint without totally disassembling the figure as that will be next to impossible without damaging it since they hide the screws so well nowadays; the screw caps are bound to be glued on as well. Just mask every thing you don't want spayed silver/chrome, open the joints to expose as much surface area as possible and lightly coat with a grey primer aerosol, then take a good quality mid sized modelling brush and get into all those gaps and hard to reach places with your choice of silver acrylic paint (you can just spray a bit from your aerosol into the cap and use that to brush with so it will be a perfect match. Then use the silver aerosol paint to lightly spray a couple of coats waiting for each to dry first. Get some Game Colour black ink wash apply that over the silver to bring out the details while wiping the excess ink off quickly to keep the silver nice and clean. You can then clear coat it with matt, satin or gloss.

Luckily for you they decided to go with plastic on the knee and elbow joints and not rubber this time or you would never get the paint to cure and stay on.

You can leave the shoulder armour on as it can easily be held or rotated out of the way of the area you want to paint, it swivels right around the shoulder joint.

Bend the knee joints as far as they will go to get into the nooks and crannies with the paint then bend them the other way to do the same.

Remember to swivel the thighs to get paint down in there too.

Hi guys am wanting to repaint a silver centurion blue but am not sure of the right way to go about it. I was considering doing gloss black, alclad 2 chrome and then taminya clear blue. However I too am concerned about taking my figure apart and repainting as the original paint used could cause issues. Anyone got any great tips and experience with this?
    Have only been kit bashing since about March - April 2015

I don't think you can put anything over alclad 2. It takes a black base and then the alclad is the finish.

They do make a metallic blue that i think takes a white base. When I tried it it didn't work well for me.

There are some good metallic paints. I got some off of amazon I really like.

Testors is what they were. I'm still using them to repaint ironman figs. I was doing a Mardi Gras style with beads and stark drinking beer. I bought a green, yellow, and purple by testors. I did like how they came out.

Quote Originally Posted by ali032373 View Post
    Testors is what they were. I'm still using them to repaint ironman figs. I was doing a Mardi Gras style with beads and stark drinking beer. I bought a green, yellow, and purple by testors. I did like how they came out.
    Right well I finally went and did it. I used tamiya chrome and then tamiya clear blue in the end, came out ok.
    Have only been kit bashing since about March - April 2015

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

Quote Originally Posted by gogul1 View Post
    Right well I finally went and did it. I used tamiya chrome and then tamiya clear blue in the end, came out ok.
    Gots any pictures of the result??