Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: REVIEW: DiD 3R World War 2 Imperial Japanese Army - Nakamura Ryuichi

REVIEW: DiD 3R World War 2 Imperial Japanese Army - Nakamura Ryuichi

L.A. Cal-Tek has just brought US fans a really impressive 1/6 Scale figure by DiD 3R - WW2 Imperial Japanese Army - Nakamura Ryuichi.

While there are plenty of US and German WW2 figures out there, it's harder to find a good Japanese soldier. And, while other companies have made WW2 Japanese officers, DiD 3R really impresses with this regular Imperial Japanese Army infantryman...

The packaging delivers an eye-catching first look at this basic grunt while keeping up with the high-quality design -- a tri-fold box with the figure and accessories protected by form-fitting plastic keeps the figure and accessories minty mint and ready to display in pristine condition once opened.

The figure's headsculpt features an impressive likeness and has a gorgeous paint application which gives it a very realistic look (above).

Likewise, the uniform and accessories impress and feature a variety of detail seen on so few figures priced this reasonably. These features include...

a real metal helmet with cloth cover.

real working pockets and ammo pouches on belt...

boots with real working laces

a real metal bayonet

a collapsible wood/metal shovel/entrenching tool...

a wood/metal rifle with working bolt action

A detailed backpack which holds the real metal canteen, e-tool, mess tin, bayonet sheath, and more...

The figure's poseability likewise allows it to move well, making for a very nice display.

If you're looking for a solid WW2 Japanese infantryman with a beautifully sculpted and painted head sculpt, amazingly detailed - and functional! - uniform and spectacular accessories with an impressive amount of authenticity, look no further than DiD 3R's WW2 Imperial Japanese Army - Nakamura Ryuichi figure.

Be sure to check out more than 85 photos of this impressive figure in the photo gallery HERE and for more information on this figure and the Imperial Japanese Army, click HERE.

impresive...........I'll order two !

Nice little review and great pics - - im actually after one of these (possibly two for the right price) - but at the moment shipped to Australia - works out at around $135 US! each (insurance & tracking) - so if there are any aussie dealers who read this and have stock (or Honk Kong) please let me know ASAP! I can't even find one locally on Ebay.

That, my friend, is an impressive figure. I saw them at AWOH and just walked by. Good thing I didn't know about this, or I'd have had to cart another figure home.

Thanks for the great pics and the review Jess.

i don't like Japanese Army......

Quote Originally Posted by bestwanna View Post
    i don't like Japanese Army......
    Fair enough? Anyway i recieved mine all the way from San Diego this week - it's certainly one excellent figure.
    Last edited by Gamilaroi; 07-06-2008 at 04:27.

Im new here, but have collected japanese military swords and equipment from ww2 in 25 yesrs.For a few years ago I saw the action figures 1/6 (Japanese army/navy)and I was sold.Now im waiting for the Nakamura to arrive to my little collection.
    It looks very autentich.

Best regards

Thomas

That head sculpt is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunto View Post
    Im new here, but have collected japanese military swords and equipment from ww2 in 25 yesrs.For a few years ago I saw the action figures 1/6 (Japanese army/navy)and I was sold.Now im waiting for the Nakamura to arrive to my little collection.
    It looks very autentich.

Best regards

Thomas
    It would be great to see some pics of your collection?

I got the nakamura now and have some issues about it:
    Why is ther 2 belt loops on the tunic?Thats fantasy!!!
    The straps on the leggings is to short.
    Some of the stitchs on the ammo bags is lose.
    The bayonetshoe on the arisaka rifle is not big enough for the bayonet fasten tight.
    Otherwise its a wonderful figure.

I wil put some new up to date pictures on in the near future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DiD 3R World War 2 Imperial Japanese Army - Nakamura Ryuichi-arisakatype38-002-jpg  
    Last edited by Gunto; 07-27-2008 at 14:07.

I am yet to open mine - still in the box. interesting points you raise - still it is a refreshing change from the bbi Japanese series - overall as you say - a wonderful figure. I like your sword collection Gunto.

One the best figures i have

I have yet to open mine as well. I know there are some problems but still, I had to have it. The headsculpt is amazingly well done. He is way to tall. The ITPT paratrooper is probably a much more realistic height. DiD/3R is the only one making WW2 Japanese figures so I am appreciative. I wish they would make a machine gunner and a cold weather infantryman from the Manchurian front.

Re: REVIEW: DiD 3R World War 2 Imperial Japanese Army - Nakamura Ryuichi

Why are a lot of these reviews not actually reviews but mere advertisements and an exhortation to buy! Shouldn't stuff like this, masquerading as a review, be moved to the relevant section? This 'review' hardly covers the good points nor bad points of this figure. The Ariasaka rifle is OK but it is no match for the bbi version from a few years back; and of the many of these I picked up, some boxed others loose, not a single one fits the bayonet correctly and because it's soft metal it's not that easy to correct, (at least with plastic all I need is some styrene some CA glue). The Shelter half is the wrong size and ammo pouches are just OK, a lot of the ones I have are skewed/Distorted because the central divider is sewn in badly and so the shape just looks awful. There's a fair bit of work just to get these items correct which, given the price point, I don't think we ought to have to do ourselves.
    Don't get me wrong I love this figure and can't wait for th Officer to hit the UK retailers but lets not kid ourselves that it's perfection personified and the figure of 2008 as some have claimed, (mostly people who hadn't bought it). It isn't! As far as I can see it's shortcoming are all to do with the use of 'real materials'. If they'd stuck to injection molded pieces it would have been fantastic. They ought to look into licencing the molds from bbi's Japanese figures.

When I get my grubby little hands on the officer I shall do a proper review of both figures.

Re: REVIEW: DiD 3R World War 2 Imperial Japanese Army - Nakamura Ryuichi

There just isn't anything else out there so most are willing to put up with the problems. I really am happy with the two BBi Japanese figures. I wish they had kept going and made some Army infantryman figures. Right now 3r/DiD is the only game in town. I didn't really need the new officer, want more infantrymen. A machine gunner please.