Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Battlestar Galactica?

Battlestar Galactica?

OK, so I am making a BG figure as a gift for a female friend of mine. I am making one of the guy standing in the middle of the picture linked below. Do you have any tips on where I can find a similar uniform and a moderately similar head for a reasonable price? I already found an Andromeda uniform, but it is black and does not have same shirt as the one in the pic. It's close, but not close enough.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heilema...25517/sizes/l/

AH so you are going to do a bash of apollo cool will be hard to get a uniform like that around here or even on evil bay but good luck

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."
    -C.S. Lewis

Guys, any advice on heads?

To me the closest head I have seen is Hot Toys 10th Mountain ACU Sniper
    Last edited by Dave70b; 07-07-2008 at 16:53.

That looks darn close to me, Dave.

Was the official (flight suit) Apollo canceled?

That head is PERFECT. I'm going to get that for sure. Thank you so much; you saved me so much time.
    I think I may as well do a Gaius one (the long-haired guy in the suit), too. Anyone have tips for a head?
    Last edited by spidey1588; 06-04-2008 at 23:28.

Does anyone else remember seeing a head that resembled Gaius on the Longbow Studios website? I remember noticing one in the embedded banner up at the top of the site, but it's not there anymore and I can't find anything about it.

So does anyone know of any figure heads similar to that of Gaius?

What we need is for some of these high powered retailers that we routinely buy from to put some Frakin' BSG figs on the market. Maybe toss in a decent looking Viper as well. Bout time those high paid Marketing/Research Yahoos put their thinking caps on and start earning their money. Double Frack!!!

bump. Any ideas on Gaius?
    Last edited by spidey1588; 07-09-2008 at 12:41.

bump again

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.

Thanks for that. I already ordered the suit. I was just wondering if there is any head out there that's even fairly similar to Gaius'. Thanks again.

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.
    OH!!!

um.. hmmm.... Thats a good question.

Maybe it's just the hair on the figure but the real life Hugh Jackman reminds me a little of James Callis who plays Baltar. See: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_070204a.htm for Crawfords review of Sideshow's Van Helsing. If you think that will work your best bet is to try eBay, I found a loose one: http://cgi.ebay.com/VAN-HELSING-12-F...QQcmdZViewItem, auction closes tomorrow currently bidding $9.99.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battlestar Galactica?-james-callis-baltar-1-jpg   Battlestar Galactica?-james-callis-baltar-2-jpg   Battlestar Galactica?-hugh-jackman-picture-1-jpg   Battlestar Galactica?-hugh_jackman-picture-2-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by furious genius View Post
    Maybe it's just the hair on the figure but the real life Hugh Jackman reminds me a little of James Callis who plays Baltar. See: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_070204a.htm for Crawfords review of Sideshow's Van Helsing. If you think that will work your best bet is to try eBay, I found a loose one: http://cgi.ebay.com/VAN-HELSING-12-F...QQcmdZViewItem, auction closes tomorrow currently bidding $9.99.
    Hmm, that's a very interesting suggestion. I'll definitely consider it. Do you think I could do any mods on the headsculpt to make it look more like BG's Gaius?

If you compare the thumbnails I attached there's not too much differences between their faces. Callis has more hollowed out cheeks, easy to carve away from the Jackman sculpt, eyes are very similar, Jackman's nose is a little different Callis' nose looks more pointed, again just fill, sand & carve it to shape. The likeness to Jackman isn't bad on the SS figure but the hair is the worst part, a huge cast on mass. It would be a major pain but I'd dremel off the hair completely, sculpt new Callis-like ears and either sculpt hair or plant wig hair.

If you compare the thumbnails I attached there's not too much differences between their faces. Callis has more hollowed out cheeks, easy to carve away from the Jackman sculpt, eyes are very similar, Jackman's nose is a little different Callis' nose looks more pointed, again just fill, sand & carve it to shape. The likeness to Jackman isn't bad on the SS figure but the hair is the worst part, a huge cast on mass. It would be a major pain but I'd dremel off the hair completely, sculpt new Callis-like ears and either sculpt hair or plant wig hair.
    Wow, you really are a genius. I've never tried sculpting before, but I could give a try. I could try the wig route, too. Thanks a lot. If this project goes through, I'll let you know.

The secret to sculpting is to "take everything away that doesn't look like what you want". That's a paraphrase from a real sculptor, when you think about it it makes sense. Really look at your subject, James Callis, study his face, get to know it even with your eyes closed, then work on it a little at a time. Remember if you make a little mistake, it's just plastic you can fix it and try again. You can sculpt from scratch the same way. At least this is what works for me.

The secret to sculpting is to "take everything away that doesn't look like what you want". That's a paraphrase from a real sculptor, when you think about it it makes sense. Really look at your subject, James Callis, study his face, get to know it even with your eyes closed, then work on it a little at a time. Remember if you make a little mistake, it's just plastic you can fix it and try again. You can sculpt from scratch the same way. At least this is what works for me.
    Decided not to boy the product. Had problems with the payment options. I guess I'll just wait to see another one come up on eBay for sale. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, though.

Well, here's a Van Helsing figure with a long haired Hugh Jackman:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Van-Helsing-12-Deluxe-Figure/dp/B0000YKQC8"]Amazon.com: Van Helsing 12" Deluxe Figure: Van Helsing: Toys & Games[/ame]

Doesn't look much like Van Helsing or Gaius Baltar, but who knows...

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Eklyps View Post
    Well, here's a Van Helsing figure with a long haired Hugh Jackman:

Amazon.com: Van Helsing 12" Deluxe Figure: Van Helsing: Toys & Games

Doesn't look much like Van Helsing or Gaius Baltar, but who knows...

Greg
    That is a pretty awful figure, resemblence is zero and the rest of the set is so bad it's useless - and has a really peculiar smell, not kidding a weird chemical odor I think from the coat. They were around $5 at KB Oulets a few years ago, even TRUS threw them on discount pretty quickly.