Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Batmobile?????

Re: 1966 Batmobile?????

Last edited by jaysay; 05-31-2015 at 16:36.

Yikes! $200.00 for that abortion????

Maybe there is a reason for Hot Roys to exist, after all....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by onesixthpolice View Post
    Yikes! $200.00 for that abortion????

Maybe there is a reason for Hot Roys to exist, after all....
    It'll probably go for well beyond that, $199 is just the auction start minimum bid. Which is to be expected, given that it includes complete and "minty" Mego Batman and Robin figures, worth a pretty penny in themselves. Obviously with something like this it's "historicity" of the collectible that drives the price, so it's not really fair to compare it to a current product whether as to price or otherwise.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

To each his own, I suppose.....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

James Desimone made one back in the 1990's early 2000's and if they didn't sell then, they probably wont sell now.
    Just remember how many people wanted an M113...until one was made available then no one wanted them.

I'm losing hope on the HT Batmobile - but have held off ordering Hulkbuster in case it actually happens - I expect it would be in the same price range ($1000-ish).

The problem with '66 Batman is that it has been a holy grail license for 50 years (well, next year) but due to all the legal issues it only just came through - and even then Batgirl wasn't in the mix until a year later due to the actress holding out.

So while many grew up loving the show and wanting merch (including executives at various licenees), greying fans have changing priorities and hardly any of it sold as well as expected - the TRU exclusive Batmobile for the 1:12 figs sold out, but the second run is rotting at TRU.

After the long wait, expectations for the license overall were unrealistic.

Many of us (me included) would be happy to buy more HT Batman 66 but manufacturers and retailers are rightfully gun shy because their expectations were out of whack on the potential.

That Desimone Batmobile is hardly a substitute for an HT version (it's far from the correct length for instance) but I have seen beautiful paint jobs and custom work on the base kit.

When the HT version was announced I tried to sell my untouched Desimone kit (which I bought from Village comics for probably $175 many years ago) on eBay - but the copyright holder on the sculpt had it pulled down because he and Desimone had some grief over the deal.

I don't recall the details but he was a real jerk about it. When he initially threatened to pull it down, I asked him for some proof he was the copyright owner. After all, anyone could claim they were the copyright owner and these guys were on dubious legal ground as they darn sure didn't license the Batmobile.

He dicked around arguing with me instead of simply sending me the link to the copyright office records. He actually got me briefly suspended from eBay in the process. I'm not sure if he's still trolling eBay for these on the secondary market, but if so, the auction may not last the week, although another finished one did sell for $340 (item 261866483287 if you want to check it out). Maybe he died.

In any case, I'm glad I still have it, just in case the HT version never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jroug View Post
    I'm losing hope on the HT Batmobile - but have held off ordering Hulkbuster in case it actually happens - I expect it would be in the same price range ($1000-ish).

The problem with '66 Batman is that it has been a holy grail license for 50 years (well, next year) but due to all the legal issues it only just came through - and even then Batgirl wasn't in the mix until a year later due to the actress holding out.

So while many grew up loving the show and wanting merch (including executives at various licenees), greying fans have changing priorities and hardly any of it sold as well as expected - the TRU exclusive Batmobile for the 1:12 figs sold out, but the second run is rotting at TRU.

After the long wait, expectations for the license overall were unrealistic.

Many of us (me included) would be happy to buy more HT Batman 66 but manufacturers and retailers are rightfully gun shy because their expectations were out of whack on the potential.

That Desimone Batmobile is hardly a substitute for an HT version (it's far from the correct length for instance) but I have seen beautiful paint jobs and custom work on the base kit.

When the HT version was announced I tried to sell my untouched Desimone kit (which I bought from Village comics for probably $175 many years ago) on eBay - but the copyright holder on the sculpt had it pulled down because he and Desimone had some grief over the deal.

I don't recall the details but he was a real jerk about it. When he initially threatened to pull it down, I asked him for some proof he was the copyright owner. After all, anyone could claim they were the copyright owner and these guys were on dubious legal ground as they darn sure didn't license the Batmobile.

He dicked around arguing with me instead of simply sending me the link to the copyright office records. He actually got me briefly suspended from eBay in the process. I'm not sure if he's still trolling eBay for these on the secondary market, but if so, the auction may not last the week, although another finished one did sell for $340 (item 261866483287 if you want to check it out). Maybe he died.

In any case, I'm glad I still have it, just in case the HT version never happens.
    On the HT '66 Batmobile I am more pessimistic now than when this thread started 6 months ago; but we'll almost certainly know within a month. If it isn't shown at San Diego it means it's dead. If they show it there will probably be an announcement. I doubt they'd just show it as a prototype two years in a row without saying something more tangible the second time around.

Interesting story on that Desimone kit EBay experience. The present auction is still up with no bids, but 5 days to go, and everything happens at the end. Again, it could get bigger money, due to the two included Megos. Possibly that copyright holder was so aggressive (with you then but not now) because that was the period everyone was still Marking Territory and disputing each other on anything Batman '66 related.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

FREE paper models - FREE Paper Models 1966 Batmobile

Go to the above link for a PAPER Batmobile!

It's not 1/6, but you can scale it up, & it's FREE!
    Last edited by jaysay; 06-23-2015 at 16:47.

Hmmmmmm...

Might be able to print paper patterns for transfer onto Styrene sheets.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
    Hmmmmmm...

Might be able to print paper patterns for transfer onto Styrene sheets.
    That would be very interesting to see done. I'm surprised we don't see more 1/6 displays using scaled-up paper models given how expensive and inconvenient 1/6 vehicles have to be. Sure, it wouldn't be the same as Hot Toys Batmobile, but I am totally prepared to accept the convention that the paper model Batmobile is a secondary prop made to show off the figures better, and adjust my display viewing expectations accordingly.

Another possibility is to spray the paper with polyurethane!

I'll be real honest with you all. If I go to all the hassle to scale up the patterns, print them, cut them out and transfer to plastic sheets; build the model; etc. I'm going to RC it.

I have done pretty considerable with with Styrene, so I know how to work it, but that will be a fairly monumental task.

Still, given the quality of the patterns, it's definitely doable.
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
    FREE paper models - FREE Paper Models 1966 Batmobile

Go to the above link for a PAPER Batmobile!

It's not 1/6, but you can scale it up, & it's FREE!
    That webpage says there are links to download the model & instructions, but I don't see any!

David
    My Trade Feedback

"I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman57 View Post
    That webpage says there are links to download the model & instructions, but I don't see any!
    In the Model Information section, the words "Parts" and "Instructions" are links. Underlining appears when your mouse approaches. Right click, Sava As, etc, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    In the Model Information section, the words "Parts" and "Instructions" are links. Underlining appears when your mouse approaches. Right click, Sava As, etc, as usual.

Ah... thanks!

David
    My Trade Feedback

"I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

On the HT '66 Batmobile I am more pessimistic now than when this thread started 6 months ago; but we'll almost certainly know within a month. If it isn't shown at San Diego it means it's dead. If they show it there will probably be an announcement. I doubt they'd just show it as a prototype two years in a row without saying something more tangible the second time around.
    So did they show the Batmobile at SDCC?

I always thought this was a strange license for HT to pursue anyway. Really, was the Batman TV series even screened outside of the west? I hope the people that want the batmobile get it, but I would totally understand why HT may renege on the idea of producing it. I thought Mattell would struggle to sell their '66 figure line, and they were available in retail stores.

Quote Originally Posted by mailalan View Post
    So did they show the Batmobile at SDCC?
    AFAIK the answer is No. I'm reasonably certain that if they'd said something, or even if they had just simply shown the prototype again as they did last year and two years ago, people would have picked up on it. So I'm gonna go with "When the horse is dead, get off." Drax took Bruce's car and is riding off to Hot Toys heaven.

AFAIK the answer is No. I'm reasonably certain that if they'd said something, or even if they had just simply shown the prototype again as they did last year and two years ago, people would have picked up on it. So I'm gonna go with "When the horse is dead, get off." Drax took Bruce's car and is riding off to Hot Toys heaven.
    shite..left us hanging on this one...HT! thanks for that!

(3/14) (6/14) (4/15) (2/16) (7/16) (1/17) (3/17)

That just sucks.

I'm not surprised,

but it sucks just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadRusch1 View Post
    The car crosses genre's though.....you'll get the 1/6 guys who want it, and the Car guys who want it just because it'll be the most iconic version of the car to own, next to the real one.
    That's what I think. It's probably due to how expensive it would be. Bigger risk.

I bought batman and robin for the batmobile
    Bummer

It could still show up they just got around to armored Whiplash, Maria Hill and Pepper pots.
    Loki was skipped till Avengers came out, with figures getting so expensive they may not want to overload their consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkaman Blade View Post
    It could still show up they just got around to armored Whiplash, Maria Hill and Pepper pots.
    Loki was skipped till Avengers came out, with figures getting so expensive they may not want to overload their consumers.
    Shown at SDCC 2013 and also at 2014 and then not shown at all 2015? What kind of sense would that make if "not overloading" was the goal? Also -- have they ever even remotely shown the slightest indication that not overloading their customers is something that would ever for one single instant cross their minds?

Gosh... I bought my Batman and Robin on the pretense that they were going to build this...@)($U*%)@%$!
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait

Just because MAM has decreed it is dead does not make it so....until we hear form the maker, all conjecture is merely hearsay.........

Hope....it's what separates us from the animals.....

Just because MAM has decreed it is dead does not make it so....until we hear form the maker, all conjecture is merely hearsay.........

Hope....it's what separates us from the animals.....
    Hang on, there. Are you broadly familiar with a distinction between "decreed," and a very basic concept of trying to reason out and draw a logical inferential conclusion supported by what the known facts are? Also, "hearsay" means something completely different. If you're going to take a law enforcement name, you may want to get that right.

And -- are you familiar at all with a certain company called Hot Toys? "Until we hear from the maker"? Seriously? AFAIK not one single time in 15 years have we ever had even one example of a shown prototype or announcement being formally cancelled, or that we "heard from the maker" on. That's why people talk about Dax, Ripley, and yes even the Batmobile 3 years after the prototype was shown. As to "hear from the maker" are you still waiting for that to happen for Green Lantern, The Lone Ranger, Prometheus, missing members of the Watchmen, and Sucker Punch, etc. etc.?

Right there with you as a big fan of Hope (not so much Crosby). I'd love to be wrong about the Batmobile '66 because a) I'd really really love to own one, and b) been reading about this whole "being wrong" thing, wanna try it someday, but sadly, I don't think it's gonna be this time.

Good thing words are free....you'd be broke otherwise.....

Good thing words are free....you'd be broke otherwise.....
    If words were free, I couldn't make a living to pay for the man-dollies. You? [

I really like their Robin. But I can't convince myself to buy him. Sorry, it's my fault I guess.