Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 6 of 186 FirstFirst ... 56756106 ... LastLast

Thread: The BIIIIIIIIIIIG OSW Trivia Quiz Thread......

OP Desert Storm.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say the War of 1812.

Correct Actionman! Take err away!

Quote Originally Posted by shaun1162 View Post
    OK Here we go....Now I know this one will be easy for you guys.

What marked the first time since the Revolution that the U.S. accepted direct financial aid to fight a war?
    I have to disagree with the Desert Storm answer: During the Civil War, the Confederate Congress accepted loans from foreign governments to directly finance their war efforts. This event far precedes Op Storm by 130 years or so , and would be the first time since the revolution that the US accepted direct financial aid to fight a war.

And, before you argue that the South was not part of the US at the time, remember that although they seceded from the Union, the Union never allowed it or recognized the confederacy as a separate nation. The South was as much a part of the United States as the north was.

I will concede to the judgment of the trivia judge in his decision, however.

You make an excellent point, and I see that I'm wrong now. But I think it's still rightfully Actionman's turn, unless he says otherwise.

Thanks, guys.

Unfortunately my wife's just been hospitalised, so I won't be around much for a while. I think Graeylin should have it.

David.

well, David, you take care of the important stuff, like wives being hospitalized. I am sure i speak for everyone in sending our thoughts and best wishes your direction.

AS for the trivial stuff: In April 1969, Sp4 Ken Busy was injured while on patrol in a way no other soldier in Vietnam was. How was it?

Was he attacked by an elephant? (I'm sure I've heard of heard of something like that happening but I can't find any reference to it now... perhaps I imagined it!!)

OK, back for 2 mins........... was he attacked by a tiger?

He was attacked by a water buffalo ............
    ????

greg got it, you control the question

OK...
    In 1967 a former British Army Major established his own independent sovereign state with himself as it’s leader. Although never officially recognised by other governments or the UN, this “country” has produced it’s own money, stamps, flag and passsports and has it’s own constitution. In 1978 German and Dutch nationals attemped a takeover but were defeated and the “country” still exists today... my question is... where is this country and what is it called?

the sovereign principality of Sealand

Oh, i forgot the second part. about six miles off the east coast of england, kind of south and east of Ipswich

Yep and yep!! The "country" is in fact a WW2 Maunsell Navy Fort. It was abandoned in the 50's and taken over in 1967 by Major Paddy Roy Bates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

Control is back to Graeylin...

When did the first midair refueling of an aircraft occur?

June 27, 1923... between two DH-4B biplanes of the United States Army Air Service.

back to greg

In May 1942 convoy ONS-92 was attacked by U-boats. Which band have recorded a song about this attack?

Sabaton... "Wolfpack"

Correct!! Your turn....

Multiple part question about the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Arlington National Cemetery...

First, who selected the location for the National Cemetery at Arlington, why and who actually owned the property?

Second, why is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier a misnomer?

I only know part, I think it was General Robert E Lee's property, and General Montgonery Mgeis ( i thin that's how u spell it) it so every time Lee came out of his house he woukd see all the graves, And the Toumb of the unknown soldier, dna testing was used on it so he really isint unknown.........

Of course I dont know if thats right, I could have made myself look like a complete fool. LOL

Shouldn't the tomb (the one at Arlington) be called the Tomb of the Unknowns because more than one person is buried there (one for each major conflict)? It was the Vietnam "unknown" that was identified so that grave is now empty.

I guess so

Okay, I will give it to Pete.

The property was chosen in Arlington by Quartermaster General Montgomery Meigs because he had a hatred of Southern officers who fought for the South in the Civil War. The property actually belonged to Lee's wife, Mary Custis Lee. Meigs, a native of Georgia, served under Lee prior to the Civil War. The first war dead were buried near the front Door of Arlington House mansion, to prevent Lee ever returning to the property. Meigs himself supervised the burial of some 21 war dead in Mrs. Lee's rose garden. Lee and his wife never again set foot on the property. Lee's son, George Washington Custis Lee, sued the United States over the seizure of the land and finally in 1882 the United States Supreme Court ruled in favor of Lee and Congress paid him $150,000 as rightful heir to the property.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a misnomer because it is actually called the Tomb of the Unknowns. An Unknown serviceman from each war since World War I occupies the tomb. However, the Vietnam occupant was identified by DNA testing as USAF 1LT Michael Blassie.

Given the advancements in technology, it is becoming increasingly difficult to place a Vietnam era serviceman or other new Unknowns in Tomb at the National Cemetary at Arlington.

Pete, take it away.

Last edited by JTFazz; 03-09-2008 at 17:59.

Cool thanks, Ok this may be easy or hard, But its on what I know the most, so......
    The 101st Airborne In Vietnam, had LRRP Companies as Follows:
    From 10/15/65 to 2/7/68 the 1/101 LRRP
    1/10/68 to 2/1/69 The F/58 (LRP)
    2/1/69 to 11/25/71 L company Rangers (75 inf)

As time evolved Lrrps transferred from Designation to designation, but their job remaned the same, as companies were deactavated, and new ones were activated to take their place, BUT, There is one other LRRP company that was independent from thoes three mentioned before, And Operated for the 101 Airborne in vietnam. What was it's name/ Designation????????????

3rd BN/506th INFANTRY?

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Action man now has the board

Sorry Pete, can't at the moment. Can I pass it back to you please.