Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: 1:6 scale ballistic underwear? EDIT: I meant Ballistic Groin Protection

1:6 scale ballistic underwear? EDIT: I meant Ballistic Groin Protection

Has any company made a 1:6 copy of the "ballistic underwear" that is currently issued to troops in Afghanistan? I have the Crazy Dummy Grunt to use as a base for a mini me for my Combat Engineer Son who will be redeploying from OEF next month, and now I'm looking for the little specific bits that will put the finishing touches on this figure. Recent pictures show him and his platoon wearing them. I've read mixed reviews from troops in the field, but frankly, if I was out looking for bombs, I'd be wearing them too!
    Last edited by Steve O.; 06-06-2013 at 17:29.

Re: 1:6 scale ballistic underwear?

Playhouse makes a set of white underwear that looks very much like ballistic underwear. It came with several of their figures. I would think you could dye it black, or your color of choice.

If the usual suspects don't have it, I think I have a pair, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Doug

Re: 1:6 scale ballistic underwear? EDIT: I meant Ballistic Groin Protection

I should have been more specific with my request. Thanks, Zebraten for your response, but I'm looking for the outer groin protection that these Combat Engineers are wearing in this photo:

At first glance it looks like the groin protection flap that hangs from the bottom of a plate carrier, but it connects to the belt at the front and rear and passes under the crotch to give good protection to the genitals.

BTW, these are members of my Son's platoon prepping to go on a route clearance patrol. I cut out the faces in the interest of OPSEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O. View Post
    I should have been more specific with my request. Thanks, Zebraten for your response, but I'm looking for the outer groin protection that these Combat Engineers are wearing in this photo:

At first glance it looks like the groin protection flap that hangs from the bottom of a plate carrier, but it connects to the belt at the front and rear and passes under the crotch to give good protection to the genitals.

BTW, these are members of my Son's platoon prepping to go on a route clearance patrol. I cut out the faces in the interest of OPSEC.

DAMTOY (first company to produce it) is coming out with a black one which does us no good, and I ranted about it. But maybe that means they'll make a multicam one...

Looks like a fairly do-able bash job, Steve. Some uniforms or camo sheets could be sacrificed. I'm thinking the companies won't rush to make them, I'll admit it's the first time I'd heard of one. They look close to an athletic supporter or cod piece, in configuration.
    When I Googled ballistic underwear, the pics looked like super-bike shorts. Found a Brit rig that looked similar to what your son and his team have, called anti-blast underpants.

Do they protect front, rear, and the perineum (aka "taint"), or just the groin?

[edit] - Well, sounds like DAM might make it, I was typing when Matthew posted that.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Looks like a fairly do-able bash job, Steve. Some uniforms or camo sheets could be sacrificed. I'm thinking the companies won't rush to make them, I'll admit it's the first time I'd heard of one. They look close to an athletic supporter or cod piece, in configuration.
    When I Googled ballistic underwear, the pics looked like super-bike shorts. Found a Brit rig that looked similar to what your son and his team have, called anti-blast underpants.

Do they protect front, rear, and the perineum (aka "taint"), or just the groin?

[edit] - Well, sounds like DAM might make it, I was typing when Matthew posted that.
    Yeah, Mike, it protects the perineum and has almost the same coverage on the rear as the front. In garrison, the Soldiers generally wear them rolled up and clipped to the back of the belt. I agree that by sacrificing some MC material, I could mod the DAM piece that Matthew referenced. Thanks Matthew for that information! A black makes no sense to me, that's for sure.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I'm hoping too that someone makes these as they are essential for a current British soldier Afghan bash. I'm hoping TFCB comes out with an MTP one, but a Multicam offering from DAM or SS would be equally welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Agreed - this look simple enough to bash, if so inclined.

That said, I have kind of doubts over the actual value of the real piece but that's a discussion for another forum I think.

TFCB has already stated that they will be producing the British "Combat Nappy" in the near future.

The following pix ought to help - the British (and I think original) version first issued around 2010 looks like this. Troops wear black ballistic shorts (these look like cycling shorts) underneath.

Thanks for those pics, HighlandSniper58! I have not been able to find images like that for the US version.

Hmmm Interesting...
    I just might have to make that.
    Last edited by All Mighty One; 06-08-2013 at 15:43.

Does the USMC use the British model? Because I have seen some pics of ANGLICO Marines wearing a groin protector that looks exactly like the photos posted by HighlandSniper58.

For a minute there, I thought you were kidding...LOL!
    But there it is!!!
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait

Here's an FB exchange that I had with my Son when I asked if he was wearing the ballistic groin protection:

Yes we do, it is BDE mandated for us to wear it
    We also wear a kevlar lined spandex underneath

Gotcha. What do you think of it?

I was very skeptical of it at first. But after wearing it for this long, you hardly even notice it
    Although, the spandex underneath can get quite stifling

I imagine so.

But, to speak frank, the one NCO that had his legs blown off only kept his package because of it

8:21am
    And there you have it.

Worth it.

Very much so

A couple of images that I've been able to find:

Thanks Steve for the insight.

Hadn't heard of this item. Must be hell to wear if you are doing foot patroll and climbing mountains.

Give my best to your son and the both of you stay safe.

The interesting thing is that this kind of body armour is not exactly new - the USMC issued a "flak diaper" in Korea (and Vietnam):

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t5151-usmc-m53-armor-pants
    http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=29

Although the old armour was for more general protection from fragments - I understand this new groin armour was requested more specifically to protect against IED threats.