Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set

Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set

Hello OSW -

Been a long time since I have posted anything - Just been busy with work mostly....still making things but just needed to find the time to post them. I haven't even gotten any of these on my website (www.tomsonesixthcustoms.com)

This first item is a Soviet made- R-126 Field Radio. I have always liked the look fo this radio and wanted to make one that was fairly accurate. I made one a long time ago...but I just didn't really get it right. I wanted this one to have some moving parts just like on the real one. I have included a few reference pics.

The majority of this work is made from sheet styrene I knew there had to be a compartment that opened and closed on a hinge as well as a compartment with a screw cap on it...these were a bit tricky. I made the antenna out of two different thicknesses of wire. The wire was fairly light so it doesnt tip over the radio (Had this problem with my last build). I added some clay to the inside of the radio to give it some weight and then I built the inside compartment from there. The headset was made out of Magic Sculpt and styrene tubing and the cable was a scrap piece of wire. The band and shoulder strap are both scrap imitation leather pieces I cut down. I painted this with Krylon spray...the green color came out pretty good...I accented with some Testors silver making some weathering marks. The trick was to sand down the paint where the screw cap comes off - This got a bit stickey so I took it all the way down. I added some micro chain to the cap and secured it with straight pins I cut down and glued.

This isn't a perfect piece...couple of things I could have taken more time with here and there...but I am overall satisfied with it.

Another piece to add to my Soviet collection.

I hope you enjoy

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-ref-pic-1-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-ref-pic-2-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-ref-pic-3-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-ref-pic-4-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-one-sixth-1-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-one-sixth-2-jpg  

Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-one-sixth-3-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-one-sixth-4-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-one-sixth-5-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-figure-1-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-figure-2-jpg   Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set-figure-3-jpg  

Re: Soviet / Russian scratch R-126 Radio set

Man, that is cool! How come you never showed this to me?
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait

Beautiful, I've had this one on my "too be made" list since I saw a photo of one being used in Chechnya's mountains.

How come you never showed this to Dave? LOL
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Thanks - Sorry Dave - Just made it this weekend. Took a few days.

Fantastic work!

Beautiful custom work.

Very nice!! I like the details and originality of the project
    "If you know both yourself and your enemy, you can come out of hundreds of battles without any defeat" Sun Tzu

I have to ad my" Very cool." to the list.

Nicely done.
    "Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime". Galland

Man Tom, you do some of the best scratch building I've ever seen. This radio is stellar, and the Sagger on your website is jaw dropping. You just keep getting better and better.

Agreed! I've been amazed by that sagger since I first saw it. And this radio is quite nice as well!
    Ask me about my custom Russian and Soviet uniforms!

Thanks for the awesome comments everybody. I really love this radio and how it came out. I will post the finished figure soon.

Tom

Very nice work Tom. You should consider making some masters of stuff like this for casting. You could make a good bit of money selling castings of stuff like this and some of the other awesome stuff you've got on your website.
    Sgt. Markoff: "Keep shooting, you scum! You'll get a chance yet to die with your boots on!"

That's pretty cool.

Outstanding! Love Russian stuff; the originals have that Rube Goldburg built look about them, so they make great scratch building subjects.
    I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one!

Great thing! Accurate and detailed

Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Very nice work Tom. You should consider making some masters of stuff like this for casting. You could make a good bit of money selling castings of stuff like this and some of the other awesome stuff you've got on your website.
    I would buy at least three of these if they would be casted and sold. Just awesome!

Thanks everybody for the nice comments - I would like to make one of these for casting so everybody can have one - Wanted to do some casting myself but hard to get the materials in Korea - Anybody know who to talk to for casting? This thing has a few moving parts so I would think I would have to break it up into a few pieces for the casting.

If anybody knows someone....please let me know and I will try to build another in my spare time. I would love for everyone to have some of this.

Thanks

Tom

Very, very nice work Tom
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

Outstanding work
    Trade Feedback - Random WIP's
    "Shouldn't this guy have a goatee and a Glock?" - MediumMack *()* "[...] a 1/6 Aberdeen Proving Ground" - JTFazz