Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How well should I trust user's response on a discussion board?

Re: How well should I trust user's response on a discussion board?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Steenbeck View Post
    I used to regard discussion board as a fairly good indicator of how well fans receive a new product upon release. I'm not just talking about this board or this particular hobby but boards in general. However, friends working in the marketing field keep reminding me of the huge amount of hired people writing positive feedback across discussion boards for all kinds of products. So in the case of 1/6 collectibles, whenever I see comments like "I'm definitely getting this one." or better yet "I'm at least buyer two." after only a few sneak preview pictures, I will get very skeptical about it, especially when the product is not that affordable for multiple purchases. In any case, I just hope that I could still think of discussion board of the same sort as a true community of hobbyists.
    Believe me my friend....I have often wondered the same thing the difference is you had the courage to post it and I didn't in fear of hurting someone feeling. You have certain people no matter how ridiculous a price may be for an item they find some kind of way to justify the price. Then they throw things in like "supply and demand" this is so much better than so and so....so that makes it alright to charge overpriced prices. There is overwhelming evidence that some companies are overpricing and I don't mean by a few dollars, yet you will have someone post and defend these outrageous prices.

You can buy similar bodies to certain companies body for fifteen dollars, which anybody knows if they can charge fifteen dollars for something they are getting it for a significantly reduced price. They throw a few clothes, a couple of items with it, and now you have a 200.00 give or take figure. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people work for these companies.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you "you can trust Masamune (me), but if you spend a little time and read some of my past post I am sure you will come to conclusion "That a-- hole is not a fan boy of any company....whether you agree with me or not I call it like I see it. Does it mean I am right?....no.... but that is how I feel.

Common sense, discretion and a spine.

Clau is offline Collection is overflowing

I take everything with a grain of salt, just focus on the facts regarding the attributes that are important to me, take others' opinions into account, but form my own view. Without knowing each user in person, their preference, situation & background, you can only take it so far.

I have also noticed that there is an increased emphasis on social marketing by companies like Hot Toys via forum users, for example, several well known users here, SSF & Toysdaily, often have aesthetically pleasing, artistic, photographic review of production figures a couple of days before Hot Toys begin with the official product distribution in HK. While I appreciate the photos as much as anyone else and they showcase the product well, I can't help but see them as part of a marketing campaign designed to boost interest among collectors.

Post Re: How well should I trust user's response on a discussion board?

In the end, TRUTH is TRUTH. Knowing what is the truth, is the tough part.

I've had people say things about me and my reviews, that frankly I say you can wipe your behind with. I have been accused of being a fanboy and a hater of one company or another, at the same time, on the same board, regardless of what is said. Of course, COMPANIES and anyone with a vested interest in things, don't want or like anything than "always glowing neverending praise" for all they want you to buy from them, that is a simple given.

There are personality issues, biases, communication issues, all add to the noise too.

But the bottom line, is the evidence provided, and the long term track history overall of the reviewer.

Photos, videos, public statements, correspondence, all go a long way to presenting a solid case, than just a description alone. That is not to say that without photos or such, a simple written review can't speak truth, but those extra steps help the process.

Example. Just today, I found the new Captain Action figures and 2 costume sets at a TRUS today. I read on other boards about floppy heads, poor joints, weak hand pins, sticky boots, other QC problems, yet also read all manner of happy customers.

So I thought about buying some of these, but after 20 minutes of looking over things in my own hands, I walked away without buying anything, not even to review and return if things proved lacking.

Why you ask? I could see the sticky boot problem by just pressing the plastic lid down onto the boots and watching what happened as they released, I could see the at times sloppy paint apps, the skimpy content, and even cracks in the one head of one of the figures I thought at first to be one of the best of those before me. $30 for the basic figure, and another $20 for a skimpy costume set, added up $50 I didn't feel like spending, or wasting about an hour of my time to open, handle, shoot pictures or video of what I was actually holding in my own hands, let alone produce and put on the web. In my view, I have found better things to spend $50 on, or even less in the 1/6 hobby today, and frankly liked better what I saw from Playing Mantis years back in Captain Action merchandise, and even the originals I bought as a kid before that.

Do you believe me, or even care to? You decide. Have you seen my many firsthand reviews of things over the past 10+ years. Have you seen my Gunny's Phunnies series, and how do you think I handle things in those? Again you decide.

A simple link to a list of the Phunnies ...

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...11-now-up.html

Reviews from many forums about the new Captain Action products now, without a single word from me in any of them ...

http://www.thetrenchesforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=18365

http://www.thetrenchesforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=18355

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...n-america.html

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_031212a.htm

Deluxe sets reviews ..

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_031412a.htm

http://aftimes.com/2012/03/umpire-re...uipment-packs/

You makes your choices, you lays your money down.

Go look and report back what YOU find. You may find things different, the same, or a mix of all. A good set of honest reviews goes a long way to the hobby overall, with a public armed with data of things to look for, and what to discover on their own.

I haven't reviewed anything but I have stated I would order a few figures. Particularly of world war one. The thing is I shall and will because I love world war one. It's something I waited my whole life to be able to buy figures. I always wanted the world war one doughboy so you can count on my money being spent where my mouth is. That is largely because I do have expandable income though I won't buy stuff from Hot toys as it's to much for me to justify it.

I would say it also depends on where you read the comments made about the product.

Any internet forum operated by a manufacturer is going to attract mainly fanboys of their products, so there is a lot of biased praise and very few negative comments made.

In-hand reviews on independant sites that attract a wider group can be a great source of information as long as you don't accept it entirely as absolute gospel truth because it's really still only that person's opinion.

Pre-orders are the real mothers because the only information and pictures you can get on the product will come from the company releasing it.
    How often do you read the disclaimer, "Final product may differ slightly..." added to their promotional photos?
    (HT's T2 Sarah Connor/T-1000 Disguise HS comes to mind.)

The best things to trust are your eyes and your judgment. If you see something and it looks good to you then go with that and check things out. If the manufacturer is unfamiliar to you then run a search on here and see what their track record is. Look at Michael Crawford's site and see what they've said about previous figures.

Don't pre-order though, to my mind it's a big con and is just the company's way of guaranteeing sales even if the figure turns out to be a pile of crap. Wait for in hand pics and reviews, and, if you still like what you see then check etailers and eBay to see what the best price is.

Have I ever pre-ordered anything!? Yes, I have, but, it was an HT Muscle TT and I already knew from reviews of boxed figures that had used that body that it was a good sound body.

But hey, that's only what I'D do. As I said at the start, the best things to trust are your eyes and your judgment.

CHEERS!

I just keep my eyes open and look at the actual finished figures as much as possible. There are a whole bunch of well-established people on this board as well as a couple of other boards I frequent, and like in any active community, you learn who's likes and judgement you trust.

I also keep an eye out for things like Luka's photos, while keeping in mind that Luka's pictures are about as good as anything is going to look. Also I look at reviews and read the text, but I tend to disregard the scores and just go by the information given anyway.

Oh yeah, and when I say "I'll get two!" it usually means that I'd like one to build "like the one on the box" and another to bash with, or the second one has a bunch of parts I want to use, and it's almost cheaper to just buy a second box than pick up the few extra parts piecemeal....

Quote Originally Posted by legionnaire75 View Post
    Personally I learned never to trust people opinion on things.....opinions are like a**h*les....everyone has one, and everyone has the right to one.

I personally use my own judgement on what I want to buy or what I think is good. it's what makes me an individual and not an automaton.
    wow! how did i miss out on this discussion? i mean i have to say that i agree with you legion i think that is the way to view anything. with discretion.
    Hail Cobra!

Quote Originally Posted by CobraTrooper11 View Post
    wow! how did i miss out on this discussion? i mean i have to say that i agree with you legion i think that is the way to view anything. with discretion.
    --

I concur.

I used to be the #1 "fan boy" for a particular company because I truly enjoyed & like what they produced given my 1:6 collecting niche. I was also the biggest "mouth piece" for all the right & wrong reasons in their official forum for quite a while.

I look back and cringe at times.

Nowadays . . . I keep myself open minded 1:6 wise and try to keep myself in check. 1:6 variety is the spice of the 1:6 hobby. If it truly sucks ....., then say so. If it has quality issues, then say so. If it's damn good, but suffers from a few flaws, then say so. Be honest with yourself and fellow collectors when discussing & posting the latest & greatest 1:6 stuff and don't necessarily take a "fan boy" overzealous stance. It makes you look like a complete @ $ $ even though you may have the best of intentions.

I speak from experience and that's why when I discuss/post share information, etc. I come across blunt, callous, & direct at times, but I'm not going to ever sugar coat anything again no matter how much I like the company, products, or know the individuals behind the company.

Of course discretion counts too.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

I'm suspicious of anyone who praises a Medicom figure.

Discussion boards in a niche can generally be considered a more balanced view, as they typically are specialty enough you can spot a shill a mile away. That being said, opinions always come with a bias so you have to look at things on a balance of viewpoints.

For more general products, your trust would be incredibly misplaced if you are putting any faith in the general blogger, discussion board, and retailer site reviews. Most vendors in most industries have paid individuals, either on contract or on payroll to go out and popularize the product through direct posting, articles, or "sponsorship" which although money does not change hands always, imparts favors in the form of free products (which are then sold for profit), linkbacks, and a variety of other tangible benefits.

Amazon in particular has an entire workforce available via their mechanical turk outsourcing program that they offer to large retailers. A vast number of the reviews on their website that are "amazon verified purchases" are in fact, fraudulent bought and paid for reviews with money going to amazon and the "independent reviewer." Amazon has marketing programs they pitch to retailers to help generate these "reviews."

This questionable behavior also extends to youtube channels, where many of the popular "unboxers" give not so independent impressions which are largely scripted and paid for by free product and vendor directed traffic to their channel which generates adsense revenue. Unless its a hobbyist giving their impressions with product they purchased themselves, there is a high probability they are bought and paid for shills.

Having worked in etail for a number of years, I can tell you that there is a great deal of corruption that is rife throughout the entire retail industry. Unfortunately with the push to online information gathering the door for misinformation has swung wide open and it is being exploited. As more and more traditional publishers move to the online space we've seen a large erosion in journalistic integrity. Then again this problem has always existed at retail, as sales reps at the retail level or vendor level are paid on commission and thus have an inherent bias that is not in in favor of the consumer.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

i make my own judgments about the things i want.

and when i want to know every little bloody thing that people think is wrong with something, i stop in for a dose of haterade at ssf.

but mostly i just buy what i think is cool and enjoy the reviews for whatever eye candy they are.

if a company lets me down on a product, i just think twice before shopping there again.

Yeah, that's true, I get paid $ 50 every time I say I will buy 5 of the new Danny Trejo-looking biker chic by Triad

I like reading reviews, not so much with unboxing video which is kind of pointless.

I won't based my judgement solely based on these reviews, but it helps me to get into decision.
    so yeah I love reviews biased or not doesn't matter since I hunt and read as many as I can find, so it will balance itself.

Quote Originally Posted by seitse View Post
    Yeah, that's true, I get paid $ 50 every time I say I will buy 5 of the new Danny Trejo-looking biker chic by Triad
    --

You're getting screwed.

I used to get paid $50.00 every time I post I will buy anything from them and $75.00 just to argue why one would not buy anything from them.

"Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

My tips on reading user reviews is to find out what people are saying BAD about something. A real written review is going to be pretty frank on what is good and what is bad about something. There is no such thing as a perfect product, and I'm more willing to trust when people are willing to discuss what they don't like about a product just as much as they are willing to talk about what they do like. I tend not to trust glowing reviews quite as much, not that I think they're company shills, but because they aren't giving me the full picture of the product.
    ~Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losing my religion~
    -=Cyber Bully=-

040415 Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by egonzinc View Post
    But the forums and boards are watched by manufacturers. Many years ago I posted my comment on a figure and I gave my honest opinion. I was very surprised when I tried to buy a new offering from the same company and they refused to sell me as they were upset by my comments! Go figure!
    Hello,
    This is pretty cool information! They refused to sell; how hardcore spiteful is that? Could you give me more details about it? Spiteful behavior is one of my professional interests.

ZP

040415 Unregistered Guest

Answering the original question: I would say that the correlation is very low.

A good example is all the hand-wringing in this forum about Hot Toys figures, and the fact that many of those figures sell out in pre-order at many stores.

By and large, forums are uninviting places with cliques of very vocal habitués. Curiously, many if not most of these habitués post no bashes, vehicles or any other 1:6 activity, further detaching opinion from hobby activity. This in contrast with many people who do great work but do not post or frequent the forums.

In conclusion, if one wants to use forum opinions to make figure success projections, then match that person’s opinion with his or her credibility. Where credibility is defined as that person’s 1:6 work.

ZP

I tell you what makes me buy a figure. It's not words it's pictures. I've bought more figures based upon review images by Luka, sir Etonian flipflop and CorranJ than any text post.

Im part of Www.vonabt.co.uk. We get thousands of hits a month and it would have been very easy to take sponsorship to get free figures etc but we never did otherwise we wouldn't be able to dothe shoots we want to do and might have to do one based on a new figure launch. It happened once on a fashion shoot we did for GQ , nowhere near as much fun, and we turned down payment for that in order to keep creative control of the shoot
    I pose dollies, we take pics!
    www.vonabt.co.uk

so people who don't bash, have vehicles, or "other 1:6 activity" have no credibility? eh. not in my book.

absolutely consider the source, but also consider the intended audience. if someone who is a diehard star trek fan waxes rhapsodic about the latest 1:6 gorn from toy hots, i really don't care what the diehard star wars customizer enthusiast thinks of it. chances are (if i'm a fan), i will love it too and buy it regardless of its faults.

of course there are also plenty of self-loathing diehard "fans" of various genres who think fandom means nitpicking something to friggin death for some elusive elephant of "total historical or screen accuracy". those guys, i'm sorry, i barely listen to at all. i don't unwind by obsessing over microscopic details.

: o p

Hallo!

In my heretical views, a picture is worth a thousand words.

It is not so much the words, but the pictures that enable me to make an informed decision as an educated customer.

No matter what the figure or "genre," we tend to have our own personal Mental Picture of what we like to see in a figure and why. It can be nice when others agree with us, but we all have our likes and dislikes, and why......
    To the point that I read reviews, and I see post replies about both commercial offerings, kit bashing, and photography that I would not always agree with as to how 'great" they are because they do not match Mental Picture of what I like, why, and what works for me.

So, I love pictures and the more the better because they enable me to look for.. and find or not find.. those elements I seek or why I believe on 1:6 lads figure or vehicle work is great or not so great (NOT that it matters as we do not all fit one mould or type of 1:6 lad, and each and every choice is good.)

I also love when lads write reviews with their points illustrated by pictures. I got into 1:6 circa 2000 or so with the Side Show Toys CW and WWI releases, and was disappointed to learn that the prototype figure and the figure used for the box art was not always (okay never) the level of the figure inside of the box especially the head sculpts and painting.

So, when I see a number of lads sharing the same observations as well as opinions on figures, along with their shared pictures to back them up, as well as illustrate what I am looking for clothing, gear, HS, body, etc. accuracy and authenticity in miniature-
    I can make an "educated and informed" decision as to whether that figure meets my Mental Picture.

Your actual mileage may vary...

And thanks to all the lads who do post reviews, comments. opinions, and pictures!!
    Kurt

When it comes to figures, spend your money on what looks cool to you. Why bother with other’s comments at all? Would you buy a figure you clearly dislike simply because others say “it’s a must-have”?

Be the master of your own mind, not a slave of comments and opinions of others, you’ll do much better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmond View Post
    Hot Toys can do no wrong!
    Would you like to re-think that last comment?

They may be nice-looking, but how many more Ironman figures do we really want from Hot Toys before the market gets sick of seeing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Steenbeck View Post
    I am more concerned with how my post has got you saying me being weak minded and paranoid, if that's what you have come up with after reading my post not just once but twice. In this case I would like to be subtle about what I am observing in your comprehension, but perhaps for clarity I should be more direct: no body is pushing anyone anything, it was just a friendly reminder from a friend working in the marketing profession, and what he told me is people are getting paid in the hope of influencing public opinion. In fact, people are getting paid for all sort of things, some got paid for more risky tasks like trafficking drugs, some got paid simply to play a WOW character around the clock just to level up good for his customer. I have no problem accepting what my friend told me about the existence of professional opinion makers working across discussion boards. I'm bringing the topic up not to dismiss the entire value of discussion boards, but to exchange ideas on evaluating comments by others. I am happy to read what others think so far, they are really good pieces of advise, which is exactly what my friend gave me in the first place. People get advise from doctors on TV on how to do proper exercise and have a nutritious diet all the time, but that doesn't necessarily mean the general public are physically weak.
    I hear that some people get paid to push other people's buttons. I'm just sayin'.

Eric
    Last edited by MisterToy; 09-14-2013 at 10:34.