Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: What is the best material for head sculpt

What is the best material for head sculpt

Want to make a HS, what is the best material for making a head sculpt?

Thanks~

Lu

Re: What is the best material for head sculpt

Loads of people use a product called Sculpey. I've never used it myself but it's meant to really good stuff. You cure it in an oven which means you can keep working on it without fear of it drying out.

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

Quote Originally Posted by 88Reaper88 View Post
    Loads of people use a product called Sculpey. I've never used it myself but it's meant to really good stuff. You cure it in an oven which means you can keep working on it without fear of it drying out.
    That is what I am using right now, it is hard to adjust the hardness of this material, I spend more time on waiting for the material to be flexible enough to work on it, than to really work on it.

Thank you~

There is another I use also called FIMO, I tend to go back and forth between that and Sculpy.
    Trade refs.
    FT/FS page.
    Dog training: $50K, Collar: $35, The look on your face when I drop my leash...Priceless

There's Super Sculpy that professionals use too.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

I like to use a mixture of super sculpy 3 and super sculpy firm
    the amount of mixture depends on your own prefrence mine is two parts firm to 1 part super sculpy3
    it's not to firm and not so squishy

I use SculpeyIII. FIMO is a little too stiff for my preference.

Sculpey makes a softening agent (which would probably work on FIMO as well, since they are both polymer clays) which can be applied to make the clay less rigid, but you have to be careful as too much will turn it to mush...and it cannot be undone.

If you are fairly new, or just starting out, do avoid trying to work in wax like Erik and others do. In the hands of an experienced artist, it does yield superior results, however...wax is a more advanced medium that requires special tools and can be extremely frustrating to the novice. I know it frustrated me enough to make me go back to Sculpey
    .... I'm a rooster illusion.....

All right, gonna try out, thanks.

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @_@

If you just want it softened a little to work with, take the lump of clay and put it on your laptop or something warming for like 10-15 mins. Once it warms up a bit its easy, sometimes too easy to work with.

If I'm sculpting a lot one day [hours on end] the warmth from my fingers makes it almost too soft, where the slightest of touches leaves an unwanted fingerprint. Don't nuke or boil it or anything, just put in your kneepit [if a lump] or on your laptop/battery charger [safer for sculpts underway] since they get warm quick. When I want it more firm I stick it in the freezer for a few minutes too.

Rubbing alcohol is cheap and useful for softening the surface or smoothing out the surface. Turpentine or mineral spirits is said to work too. Use it sparingly/appropriately as it is debonding the material tiny bit by bit.
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya