Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Crimean War: The French;Chasseur a Pied

Crimean War: The French;Chasseur a Pied

A private from a Chasseur a Pied Line regiment.
    The yellow in the uniform relates to their light infantry role but the green epaulettes further distinguish them as more specifically rifle regiments, like the German Jagers who wore green. This was the accepted huntsman's colour in Europe. In full dress, his shako would be fitted with a falling green plume atop the pompom. The regimental button is worn at the centre of the cockade and the battalion number would be worn as a metal numeral on the band above the peak.
    I'm open to suggestions here but I think his plain collar indicates he belongs to a centre company. If he was part of a flank company, his collar would bear a grenade and his coat bag ends would show a bugle.
    The Chasseurs a Pied wore almost exactly the same uniform as their Imperial regiment counterparts and it remained unchanged during most of the Second Empire. They were the most popular and dashing units of the infantry.

The jacket is a Battle Gear toys ACW frock coat dyed to darker blue. The trousers are SST Zouave pants with added piping. Pack is SST with scratchbuilt additions. Shako, epaulettes, ammo box and cap pricker are all scratch built.
    Again, all comments welcome. Particularly on the collar ornamentation. Sometimes the pictorial evidence doesn't match the written description!
    Cheers
    Andy

You mixed two eras there. The tunic was worn from the 1830s until 1860 with straight grey trousers. The Zouave-type trousers and jambières was adopted at the later date and was worn with a shorter tunic. If you own some of Troiani's books on ACW uniforms, it was the one that was worn in 1862 by 18th Mass Vol Inf, 62nd and 83rd Penna Vol Inf.

I will dig out some documents for you this week-end on both Chasseurs and infantry.

Eric

Crimean War: The French;Chasseur a Pied

Eric
    I thought I might be. Again I was working from two different sources that seemed to contradict each other so I went with the one that seemed most credible. I have the Troiani books, I'll check the uniforms out. Any additional help you can give me would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Andy

It still came out very Nice work as usual! Very well made in fact. Thanks for doing some French troops. Gives a lot more variety to be seen in this hobby.

Philip
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.

GOOD jobs!!!!

Andy,

Excellent! I love the pack with all the extra equipment. You aslo have an 83rd Pa figure form 1861. Different sako and Federal euipment and you've got another bash.