Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Norwegian Ninja Exposed!

The Norwegian Ninja Exposed!

My first project.

Comming...

Re: The Norwegian Ninja Exposed!

looks like he is gonna be armed to the teeth

Reminded me somewhat of the Expendables poster. Looking forward to your bash.
    "If symptoms persist... insult your doctor."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnye4 View Post
    looks like he is gonna be armed to the teeth
    They are gonna be armed to the teeth

Hmm, perhaps i should mention what "HMK Ninjatropp means"...
    It is Norwegian for He´s majesties king ninja platoon (or comandos). That is as direct i could put it.
    But if i would say it in english it would probably be; "He´s royal highness ninja comando"

Waiting in anticipation to see this!
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

Refference:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNVjI9bJIk]YouTube - HD Trailer - Norwegian Ninja (English Subtitles)[/ame]

the trailer looked so kinda goofy. i personally am not into ninja + guns + super powers. but it still looks curiously entertaining. I did always wanted to see the "human kite" myth realized.

YES! I love Norway! I was introduced to it's culture through it's music and art.

That looks badass. I wonder if the guy with the wolf uses it in combat.

looks awesome!

Even more teasing. Sorry for the delay.

Commander Treholt`s briefcase:

The writing says "Released on VHS january 12!"

Interesting project!

I've never seen a ninja who wears glasses before.

More exposure!

A 80`s comercial of 1/6 heroes made for the "Norwegian Ninja" movie (www.ninjatroppen.no)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJf2XndLeY]YouTube - Norwegian Ninja Action figure commercial![/ame]

It´s going to part of all the explosive bonus content on the dvd coming january 12

Love it. Love it. Love it.
    When the sound track goes wrong in the 1/6th commercial i was instantly transported back to watching dodgy 80's movies on VHS,

I will have to pick the DVD up ASAP.

That's an awesome commercial, very 80s style, it just needs some audio track/voice over.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

for those interested in the dvd you can check the message to international buyers at the bottom of this link: Full details: Norwegian DVD, Blu-Ray…and VHS.|.Kommandør Treholt & Ninjatroppen (Norwegian Ninja)

The comander

Freaking awesome!

Ha ha! Just had to watch it again. The bit where he is on the beach and swings around with the pistol cracks me up every time.

The commercial really has that 80s feel to it!
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

Hi everybody.
    This is my first project in 1:6 scale, my first thread, kit-bash, custom figure and so on.
    If i use any wrong words for stuff its because i am a newb in this area.

First i just wanted to introduce myself and tell you about this project.

I am an Norwegian concept artist and illustrator working on games, films, books, comic-books (www.anunnaki.no) etc. Check my website/blog for more info about my work: www.jaeger-art.com

For the past year i´ve been working on a Norwegian film called "Kommandør Treholt & Ninjatroppen" (International title: "Norwegian Ninja") as an illustrator.
    I´ve always been fascinated by 1:6 scale figures and i couldn't pass the opportunity to do something creative on this project. And since im working with the director of the movie on several other projects he wasn't hard to convince to be a consultant and text editor for this project.
    As some of you have seen i´ve been active here for about a little over half a year, gathering info and commenting others work. Well now is your chance to comment back

To see some more reference to the figures, watch the intro for the film:
    (sorry, no subtitles):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw1_I_KH_VE]YouTube - Kommandør Treholts vervevideo[/ame]

For more refference please visit the website www.ninjatroppen.no

As you can see its quite a special project.
    In this thread i will post a walkthrough of the project as detailed as i can, and its going to be the only place i publish this. Why? Since we are going to use these as a promo for the movie, and present them as if they were made in the 80´s (hence the title of the thread).
    Now i know the first thing you veteran guys are thinking, "this doesn't look like a figure made in that time period". Well i´ve been thinking that to, but i want them to pose and look like our newer figures does, so we will just call them "The state of the art toys that where to expensive to sell" figures, or they where banned.
    As you see in the picture below i wasn't going for a hyper realistic figure, i want people to see that this is a figure/toy. But also i didnt make it too simple either, this was to make the viewer want it as a superb made toy.

So this is the first "product" photo i took of the generic ninja that has a close similarity to a ninja in the movie called "Svarte Per" (Black Per).

As you can see i had allot of problems doing the shoes and some other stuff, a more detailed walkthrough is below:

NOTE: At first i actually wasnt going to make anything myself, i thought i could just buy everything and mod it for this project. After looking trough the marked i decided ihad to make most of it myself. So any chance i got to buy something, ill take.

#1 I decided to buy the narrow shoulder figure from hot toys, with 38 points of articulation. Im not sure what a "narrow shoulder" is, but i guess its just he´s shoulders that is more narrow :P
    #2 Starting to draw up some clothing on thin bakery-paper. I found out that aluminum foil was better to do this, since you can form it around his body more easily (sorry no pictures of the aluminum).
    #3 First cutout of the pants. The cloth is typical cotton i think, witch isn't ideal since it doesn't have that many wrinkles. But the color was next to perfect so i couldn't resist.
    #4 Pants fitted on for the first time. Notice the reference lying in the back.
    #5 The naked ninja chills with the ladies while i make some clothes for him (notice that the one to his left (our right) is a pregnant model hehe).

#1 Sowing the jacket. This was a hard one since i have never sown a jacket before.
    #2 Trying on the whole outfit. And it fits actually! I didn't do any accurate measurements, only eye measurement, so i am happy.
    #3 I sprayed the clothes with hair spray to make it more easily shaped, then i taped them together like you see in the picture. This was off-course to get a more wrinkled shape on the fabric.
    #4 Starting on the belt. the one on top is a first try failure. I used an old cd cover for material.
    #5 Ninjastar and belt with belt-buckle done. the ninjastar can be attached to the belt-buckle.
    #6 I had a hard time getting my hands on a mauser broom handle pistol, so i tried to make one. I noticed that yellow submarine had one, but i couldn't get it anywhere. Until later on.

#1 Finished cutout from pvc plastic.
    #2 Glued on some parts to make it three dimensional, i also changed the barrel with a plastic pipe from an old GI-Joe accessory.
    #3 Made a sword and a knife from pvc too. The blade is some-kind of extremely good quality plastic glass.
    #4 Starting on the holster. Made from regular leather i found at my x-girlfriends house.
    #5 Making sure the gun will fit inside the holster. I used crazy glue instead of sewing it. Felt like it was easier to work with.
    #6 Making some mag puches on the side. The buttons are made of regular paper (a little-bit thicker).

#1 Testing the belt and clothes on for the first time.
    #2 Same-thing as #1.
    #3 Starting the paint-job. I used regular warhammer paint found at the local toy-store. They didn't have any small brushes tough.
    #4 I bought some "ski balaclavas" on ebay. They were black and i wanted them to be grey, so i used chlorine to bleach them. I bought three of them so i could try and fail.

#1 Cord-wrapping the blades. Again i found some decent rope at my x-girlfriends house.
    #2 I made a map pouch too. i used a metal string as a leash so i could form it any way i wanted. Wrapped a thin rope around this too to make it look more real.
    #3 a map is essential in a map pouch...
    #4 Using a thin rope to make the outfit sit better.
    #5 You cant see it that good in the picture, but i used some black tape on the cord-wrapping on the blades to make it look like its a rope taken from a normal shoe (a shoe lace?).
    #6 A Norwegian flag and a pair of shoes in their first stage. The shoes are at this stage just a pair of sylinder made of black cloth

#1 The shoes was the biggest problem. i had difficulty making the details i needed so that he could still have the joints quite free. I also cut of the toe besides the big toe so that it would be more like the ninja tabi shoe.
    #2 Painting on the patches. I culd print them out but i think that painting them makes them more part of the costume.
    #3 Some reference sheets. I was an extra in the movie so i got allot of pictures from the set. Actually, you can spot me in the "intro" clip i posted above, i am the ninja that is besides the weapon-rack showing the ninjagear to the newb.
    #4 Again with the shoes. The rubber that is supposed to be underneath (sole?) the shoe was really hard to get materials for. I ended up finding a sheath for an axe made of rubber. I used allot of time finding something like this. Perhaps rubber from real shoes is a solution? I ended up with some rubber from a axesheath actually
    #5 The complete figure finished with a backpack ordered from ebay.

A couple of details of the figure:

For each character i made i made a production shot of the figure, but i also made a actionshot to get the right feeling of the enviroment and situations he would be in.
    The action shot (notice the rabbit):

I will make more of theese if there is any interst in it. I have documentet the whole prosses.

Really weird concept yet also really cool.

An excellent job on all the hand made gear.
    got privilege?

What is the "Time Frame" for the story background?
    My Grand Father was once a member of the Royal Guard to King Olaf.
    When I first saw the title......
    Well you know.....lol

Thanks for the nice coments people! Please, if you have any critique or tips for a later projects dont hesitate.

The time frame should be about from sometime in 1970 to 1984 when Treholt was framed for espionage

The torpedo frogs!

Ahhhhrgh! Just killer! Your figures are brilliant but at the same time ultra cheesy. It reminds me of Captain Scarlet or Joe 90 but with a darker humor. Too sick.

The complete picture of the christmas card...