Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1:6 Stryker entered in local AMPS competition

Re: 1:6 Stryker entered in local AMPS competition

This is screaming for a customizer to paint and weatherize...and possible R/C the vehicle.

Great work...I'd be interested if it were a kit.

superb man

JUST WOW!!!!...great job. Just an idea, and I dont know if a copyrite law would be an issue. Have you ever thought of contacting General Dynamics, and showing what you have done? Maybe see if they can help fund the project to make kits. Maybe explain that you will donate some of the money generated by sales towards a Vet fund? Just a thought, CAUSE I WANT ONE!!!!

Nice work Rob and getting a bronze just show scale modelers for what they are ...elite basterds
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi
    Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten

cturner - don't like my paint?

GIJOHN - actually we did some of that at the Infantry conference. Unfortunately the decision process with corporations is COMPLICATED. I showed the vehicle to several mukety mucks but it seems like not the right one. Also the defense industry is reeling with the economy and the decision to cut some major programs. They are very hesitant to spend any cash since they are in MAJOR cost cutting mode. We are heavily involved though with doing a DIFFERENT armored vehicle for a huge company. Who knows? We might be able to do some dual use tooling and still get the kit out there.

Chet - You took the words out of my mouth. Very disappointed but not unexpected. A master modeler friend of mine did a Sherman in 1:12 to include a diorama and interior that was actually stunning and only got a silver. Modelers seem to believe larger scales are easier instead of harder in different ways. Good that I don't value their opinions very much. The final irony is I have folks that do modeling for a hobby judging one that makes a living from it LOL!

Major Rod... your going to TEEEEAAAASSSSEE us, and not give any clue on the next vehicle!?! Being an armor junkie, I cant wait to hear more....

This is awesome. Understanding I could never build something this cool I do offer some constructive criticism on the paint. IMO it looks like it just rolled off of the line in pristine condition. If that's what you're going for then never mind but I think some slight weathering would kick it up a notch.

That said - the skill you have to build these things blow my mind. You rock the scratch build my friend!

Awesome!!!!!!!

Niels

Beautiful. Simply beautiful!

.........................[drop]
    "Land of the free because of the brave."
    Trade references
    http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ldiermp44.html

GIJOHN - uh.... Yep...

Seriously, until we have it done I really shouldn't announce. It's a business thing but trust me VERY cool. Timeline? 2 - 6 Months

Creg Customs - My friend ANY comment from you is appreciated and having seen your work I would not be so quick to write you off. Yes, she's clean. I noticed most trade show models are representing vehicles straight off the line and lack the lived in look. As part of my first attempt to interest General Dynamics I did the clean look.

Now that I'm going for a more combat look (my favorite) I have to put on some additional details before weathering. Below is a picture of a HMMWV that Sawgunner tricked out for me w/accessories and did a basic straight tan paint job. The weathering is my work. So I can do it, its a question of time and getting the details built/mounted. I will weather hopefully before the next project is done.

TO EVERYONE... THANY YOU for your comments. I'm humbled. Keep in mind my partner is truly the gifted one. I can probably claim maintaining direction, a good portion of the research, some minor fabrication, ideas on how to scratchbuild and the paint job.

What can you help me with? I'd like to do a sniper veil, add the driver's camera, a towbar, wire cutters, top hatch locks anything else? Suggestions and source pictures would help. I have pretty good access to school house Strykers. Its the combat look where pictures help. I am not doing SLAT armor as its on the way out. There are two replacements for it I prefer not to discuss in depth. I'm also looking for something to replace the NBC system hoses inside the vehicle. I'm using wire but they aren't very flexible and don't look like the actual hoses (think about the hose on a pilot's facemask in OD). I'd also like some sources for concertina wire, jerry/water cans and cargo netting (the nets are made of nylon straps not jost rope). Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1:6 Stryker entered in local AMPS competition-side-before-weathering-jpg   1:6 Stryker entered in local AMPS competition-right-after-weathering-jpg   1:6 Stryker entered in local AMPS competition-gmv-jpg  

Well, 1/35 scale modelers can be pretty obsessive-compulsive when it comes to details. I've been a "small-scale" modeler (no, not a pro at that either), and their how-to's references can be pretty complicated.
    For instance, painting alone takes volumes of references telling armor modelers how do do it right. The off-the-factory look is the easiest to do, while the weathered look is at the other end of the scale. These "judges" are pretty obsessive, and would want to see mud spatters in the underchassis, oil & hydraulic fluid streaks, dings & scratches from being driven around the bush, and the all-pervasive dust. Combat-weary vehicles may show lighter paint on top of the vehicle from exposure to the sun, plus a lot of chipped paint in areas where its occupants frequent (e.g., foot wells, handlebars, flooring).
    In short, they are after a myriad of small, otherwise unnoticeable details. If you're making a small models (1/35), you don't have to put in a LOT of details (although the smaller scale would be a cast-iron b**%@ to make). But in a HUGE model such as this, there are PLENTY of opportunities to SUPERDETAIL, and lack of these can be pretty glaring to them.

It took approximately 10 weeks to make this Stryker from scratch (not including a month or two of R & D and planning). In the "modeling" world, this time frame is a whirlwind. Some 1/35 armor modelers have been known to take on average a year or two to scratchbuild a decent armor model. So naturally, this large scale Stryker still needs a lot of time for us to fully trick out.
    God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him...

You created a beast Doc! simply amazing

I have to admit, I am more of an ACW & WW1 collector, but I find this simply...STUNNING! I am awed by the level of craftsmanship required to create so much detail...

Quote Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
    I'm sure we will seethe Stryker in many venues.
    I'm hoping you'll make it to Joe-Lanta next month and will be kind enough to bring this to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
    ..yet the Infantry museum curator is trying to get me to put it on loan at the museum.
    ...That REALLY says a LOT, and sums it up very nicely

CONGRATS on an amazing accomplishment!

I would not mine having one of those babies...!

Hi guys! I happen to open the thread on the Stryker, and remembered that it was started last 2008! This is because the development of the Stryker took THAT long. First, reference info have to be gathered, then detailed 1:6 drawings made. Initially we thought the Stryker can be built using laminated plywood panels, but after some time working on it the plan has to be shelved. Then we thought of making out of fiberglass. And so a wooden mock-up was made, a fiberglass mold made of the hull & a fiberglass casting done. But then again this production method produced a plethora of other problems, and this technique has to be shelved as well.
    Finally we had to resort to sheet metal, and it turned out quite well. This final model was made in 10 weeks, but I have to take leave off my day job (Orthopedic surgeon) and work on it full time. We were initially planning on a production run of two Stryker variants (the Infantry Carrier Variant and the Mobile Gun System - MGS), but we have to stop working on the MGS for now to concentrate on completing the ICV.
    Perhaps if we do make more Strykers, it would take a lot longer than 10 weeks. Maybe a 4-6 month time frame may be more realistic, given the fact that we don't have a factory of our own; We work on them on our spare time..
    God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him...

amazing!

Hey Major Rod, I first of all must apologise for not seeing this beautiful vehicle before now!...(how did i miss this??)

It's absolutely beautiful!!
    A real piece if 1/6th wonderment, and i'm sure you're extremely proud of it.

Well done on the prize too,.....bloody hell, the rest must have been good!

I'm away to look at your others.

Brilliant.

Neil.

That is absolutely amazing!
    Hail Caeser! Those of us about to bash salute you.
    Sale page:http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...-le-added.html

And one day, if we're good little boys and girls we may get a chance to buy one these. One day.

Quote Originally Posted by elfbait View Post
    Hi guys! I happen to open the thread on the Stryker, and remembered that it was started last 2008! This is because the development of the Stryker took THAT long. First, reference info have to be gathered, then detailed 1:6 drawings made. Initially we thought the Stryker can be built using laminated plywood panels, but after some time working on it the plan has to be shelved. Then we thought of making out of fiberglass. And so a wooden mock-up was made, a fiberglass mold made of the hull & a fiberglass casting done. But then again this production method produced a plethora of other problems, and this technique has to be shelved as well.
    Finally we had to resort to sheet metal, and it turned out quite well. This final model was made in 10 weeks, but I have to take leave off my day job (Orthopedic surgeon) and work on it full time. We were initially planning on a production run of two Stryker variants (the Infantry Carrier Variant and the Mobile Gun System - MGS), but we have to stop working on the MGS for now to concentrate on completing the ICV.
    Perhaps if we do make more Strykers, it would take a lot longer than 10 weeks. Maybe a 4-6 month time frame may be more realistic, given the fact that we don't have a factory of our own; We work on them on our spare time..

Congrats on this my Friend..You make me proud of being Pinoy when I see this....

Cheer up Hardcase. We are just trying to drop the cost of an unnassembled kit. It's under $5k right now.

Before you freak keep in mind the model is....

BIG
    METAL
    HAND MADE
    SHIPPNG IS HALF THE COST

Quantity orders, some tooling and most important a better shipping method will drive this down even further.

Where was I when this was posted??? That is an awesome job Kim & Will!!! Truly spectacular!!!
    fullmetal's Customs:fullmetals
    elfbait's Customs:elbait