One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Main Discussion Forums > Custom Tips & Techniques > Sculpting / Using Sculpy

Sculpting / Using Sculpy Adding beards , ears and how to cure certain clays ... Sculpy, Fimo, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48
OSW Member

1/6 sculpting,,buyer beware:

it took 9 months to finally recieve my custom 1/6 burt lancaster headsculpt from the farrow himself,i cant believe the sloppiness,,,,i mean,yes it does look like him,but with all the cracks and scratches, if i cast and paint ,you can still all the defects
i cant even cast this without trying to clean and smooth all around it , any advice on how to fix??? or should i throw in pale ??
Attached Thumbnails
1/6 sculpting,,buyer beware:-img_1925.jpg   1/6 sculpting,,buyer beware:-img_1926.jpg   1/6 sculpting,,buyer beware:-img_1927.jpg   1/6 sculpting,,buyer beware:-img_1929.jpg   1/6 sculpting,,buyer beware:-img_1928.jpg  

Last edited by littlesoldierboy; 03-18-2012 at 21:48.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:25
Animal Psychologist

Re: 1/6 sculpting,,buyer beware:

That looks like him though! You could try to smooth out the back side with air dry medium like Apoxie.

We chimpanzees are too few. How can we take the iniative when THEY are in control?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12
OSW Member

its not just the back,,i would have to smooth the whole face,,especially the eyes,,,
Old 03-15-2012, 15:33
emigre

Horrible. The face, particularly the mouth, is excellent for Burt, but the rest...

If the face is not too big I would suggest trying to make an impression of it and transplanting it onto another sculpt--one with a proper skull.
Will save time ahving to sculpt your own skull. The cracks in face (can't really see them here) shouldn't take too long.
Then cast the whole thing.
Old 03-15-2012, 20:12
Animal Psychologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Horrible. The face, particularly the mouth, is excellent for Burt, but the rest...

If the face is not too big I would suggest trying to make an impression of it and transplanting it onto another sculpt--one with a proper skull.
Will save time ahving to sculpt your own skull. The cracks in face (can't really see them here) shouldn't take too long.
Then cast the whole thing.
Whoa. Very good idea!!

We chimpanzees are too few. How can we take the iniative when THEY are in control?
Old 03-15-2012, 20:55
OSW Member

I hope you didn't pay much for that.
Old 03-16-2012, 20:37
Animal Psychologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texlander View Post
I hope you didn't pay much for that.
Me too. The ears are pretty bad....but hey...that's why I rarely offer my sculpts for sale.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:04
OSW Member

That is about the level of sculpting I am at, and I wouldn't dream of doing commisions for sculpts.

Ask for your money back. That is a total ripoff.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:13
OSW Member

how would you fix misplaced ears? I purchased a custom head years ago and when I finally went to work on the head (paint) I noticed the ears are misaligned. That was something that you could not see on the seller's website based on the angle of the photograph. I'm thinking of cutting off the misaligned ear but I'm not too sure that I won't make things worse.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26
emigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warge View Post
That is about the level of sculpting I am at, and I wouldn't dream of doing commisions for sculpts.

Ask for your money back. That is a total ripoff.
Someone at this skill level should NOT be asking for money to sculpt. Idiot, and a thief.

Slob--I just transplanted a pair of ears from one head to another, it's no harder than moving the original ones. Key is getting the cut surface as flat as possible, and using filler glue to reattach. Using thin glue would just be making it difficult.
I used a pin through the ear to test the fit to the head, for placing and offset. Took a while to get the look satisfactory, but can be done. For just moving (otherwise correct) ears, should be a lot quicker.
Old 03-17-2012, 13:03
OSW Member

As a sculptor (I do 28-32mm wargaming figures, not 1/6th stuff yet), I thought I'd weigh in on this topic a bit. You say you commissioned this sculpt, which means you must have seen work by this same sculptor that you liked? Did you notice any of these issues with any of the other work that made you decide to use this sculptor?

Not everyone can be an Arnie Kim, and not every sculpt is going to be a dead-on likeness. Having said that, this sculpt appears unfinished. Elongated skull aside, there are way too many tool marks and odd depressions (what is that on the back of his head?), and the ears are just not completed at all. Did you receive in-progress photos at any time?

Professionally speaking, I would return this to the sculptor for either a re-sculpt or a refund. I know you say it took nine months to receive it, but again, there must have been something about this sculptor's style that encouraged you to commission him in the first place.
Old 03-18-2012, 21:16
OSW Member

i paid too much for it
Old 03-18-2012, 21:21
OSW Member

youre right, but the funny thing is i noticed this sculpture personal sculpts he does better ears,smoother face, i think he feels his sculpts are worth more than $250. a real nightmare ..
Old 03-18-2012, 21:24
OSW Member

yes,, the farrow sculptur did awesom sculpts on his page ,kisss figures,clint eastwood, etc, in the past he was better than this,,i assumed after nine months of waiting, he woulda put more effort into it,, but nooooo. and he wont refund me cause he claims he did his part by sculpting it,, go figure
Old 03-18-2012, 21:28
OSW Member

yes i agree totally
Old 03-18-2012, 21:51
OSW Member

its hard to believe this is a farrrow sculpt
Old 03-18-2012, 22:19
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Someone at this skill level should NOT be asking for money to sculpt. Idiot, and a thief.

Slob--I just transplanted a pair of ears from one head to another, it's no harder than moving the original ones. Key is getting the cut surface as flat as possible, and using filler glue to reattach. Using thin glue would just be making it difficult.
I used a pin through the ear to test the fit to the head, for placing and offset. Took a while to get the look satisfactory, but can be done. For just moving (otherwise correct) ears, should be a lot quicker.
thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:02
Animal Psychologist

I know that sculptor. I did not know he took commissions.

Old 03-24-2012, 19:15
OSW Member

Yeesh! All you can do is convert it to a zombie Lancaster head to hide all the defects. Oddly the sculptor knows how to capture likeness fairly well but not refine the sculpt to make it worthy.