One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Not Only But Erso (Disney Store 1/7 Jyn Erso)

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  rogerbee 
#1 ·
This figure, unlike the Mezco Pinhead, wasn't an instant buy. I kept going back and forth, should I, shouldn't I? Then I saw her for £10 and thought 'Go on then!', so, I selected the one with the least wonky eyes and off I went. Of course, I then saw that Heads Up post where I saw that she'd been reduced online to £5, always the way, the best reduction happens AFTER I buy one! The next week, I go back into the store and they too had dropped her to £5, such is life.

Anyway, I didn't feel my skills were up to a full repaint, hence why I went for one with good eyes, so, I decided to see what I could add to what was already there with pastels. I stripped the existing paint off her lips and put them back in with pastels. On other heads I'd done, I found that this gave a much more subtle effect than paint and didn't hide any lip detail, if there was any. Then I did some subtle shading on her cheeks and around her nose. I then sealed that with Dullcote and put in a few more subtle details on her face. After that I sealed it again and glossed her eyes and added satin varnish to her lips. Once this was dry I added a thin line of gloss along the line of her mouth. Her hair came next, I wanted to get rid of that overly shiny Barbie look you often get with rooted hair, so, I wrapped the face and neck in clingfilm and secured it with 3M Magic Tape. Then I dusted the hair with Fullers earth and sprayed it with Dullcote, this made her hair look dirtier and helped deaden the sheen.

Then I wanted to weather her clothes. This was better done with the clothes on the body so you could get a better idea as to how the dirt got there. First off I dusted everything with Fullers earth and fixed it with Dullcote, it's best to do this so it doesn't rub off when handling the figure. After that I got out some Vallejo Weathering Effects Industrial Mud and applied some to her boots and lower legs. And that was that.

Interestingly, the effects on the face are so subtle that you might not notice them in pics, but, you do in hand. Here are the pics anyway:

All in all, a fun little project. I'm sure those of you with greater skills could really go to town on her. You might be wondering why she's here in the non 1/6 section, well, you'd just have to stand her next to a 1/6 figure to see why. My Bandai Stormtrooper makes her look like a hobbit!

CHEERS!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, you can see there how tricky it is to get pale skin to photograph well when there isn't much make-up going on. That's why most HT seem dark in hand, they know they'll be photographed a lot and put in lit detolfs, so they make sure you don't lose any detail. Harley and the Joker got away with it because there was heavy make-up to add contrast.

CHEERS!

#6 ·
That weathering really brings her to life!
I really wish she was a bit taller, I love her body type and articulation but she just doesn't fit in with other 1/6 figs. :/
I might have to use mine for standalone photostories and things instead of interacting with my main gang.

#14 ·
I did actually, it never seems to show up that well in pics. I use Liquitex High Gloss Varnish.

CHEERS!
Well as long as it looks good in hand, you know my endless struggles with photography! :wink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.