One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Main Discussion Forums > Loose Bits (Off Topic)

Loose Bits (Off Topic) For discussions without a home. Please no religion, current events or political rants.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 01:32
OSW Member

Re: "Walking Dead" TV Series Debuts on AMC in October

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
pretty good 1st season... btw, did anyone see what looked like a DShK in the sandbag emplacement near the CDC in last week's episode?
Heya, all!

Yup, the ole' "Red Dawn" M60 based Dushka definately has gotten a fair bit of screen time over the years!

The M67 training grenade, with it's nice blue spoon, also makes it's reappearance. Wish someone had taken the 10 seconds or so it would have taken to repaint it.

Great season, but far too short... look forward to the eventual 13 episode second season.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:17
The Plastic Castaway

Loved the season, didn't like the last episode. Ending of the 5th episode and almost the entire 6th episode just strayed too far from what makes the series great. First season should have stuck to the first 6 issues of the comics (which it mostly did). The 6th issue would have made an awesome ending to the first season...

That said... looking forward to the next season.
Old 12-06-2010, 13:17
Major Rod

Quote:
Loved the season, didn't like the last episode. Ending of the 5th episode and almost the entire 6th episode just strayed too far from what makes the series great.
Uh and what is that?

(rewrite)
I liked the last episode. It raised some topics that I've never seen addressed in the genre.

- The "science" that explains how the virus attacks the body.
- Medical approaches to cure zombieism. I'm also intrigued by what France was working on.
- Suicide as a solution.

Its good for some hope from time to time. It breaks up the hopelessness.
Old 12-06-2010, 13:37
sits in a loose parts box

I think Rod nailed it, it seemed to me more like something they included for the non-zombie-fan who is watching the series. It seemed like a good introduction into the genre, gave some insight and explanation to what was happening to the "dead", some outlook on possible hope in other countries or even in country, and also the "Well the CDC must know something!"-group. I mean it seems like the most logical goverment agency to turn to in hopes of answers and help and even a cure.
I think it made sense to include THOUGH i do think it seemed a little out of place for the people more familiar with the story simple because it all happend so fast:
"yay the CDC!" "But oh no we arrived 10 minutes before the place is out of resources!" "Oh no again it blew up and we are outside again."

A little rushed, but i guess otherwise it would have been kind of boring as well if they were all safe for the next months.
Old 12-06-2010, 15:42
Action Fuger!

I agree that the events in the last episode seemed a bit rushed, but I still liked it and the season was very good. It seemed like set-up, really. Prologue for things to come. But how the episode ended--with them on the move again--the story is pretty much ready to continue with the story of the comics.

Overall, I liked the time they spent developing characters, particularly Shane. This was an improvement over the comic.

But the big question...what did the Doc whisper to Rick? If you've read the comic, you can have two theories. We have to wait until October to find out....
Old 12-06-2010, 15:52
OSW Member

The Doc told Rick:
A) "Theres no fate but what we make."
B) "Your wifes preggers."
C) "Listen to Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon while watching Wizard of Oz.
It'll blow your mind."
D) All of the above
Old 12-06-2010, 16:41
The Plastic Castaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
Uh and what is that?
The people. It was just filler. It took away from being about the interactions of people. It was way too much Hollywood type silliness. It was very out of place with the rest of the series and it felt extremely rushed. After watching it I feel better about Darabont's decision to let the writing staff go.

It's still better than most other stuff on TV, but I felt the last episode of the season was the weakest one of them all.
Old 12-06-2010, 17:05
Custom User Title

I definately like the series but like Heroe's I hope it doesnt take a turn for the worse.
Semper Fi
Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten
Old 12-06-2010, 17:20
Duty First

I'm not into comics so I'd never heard of "Walking Dead" before the show. I've enjoyed the first season and since I have not read the comics I'm not looking for little details some of you guys are seeing.

I like it and I try not to read too much into it or think too much--I just think it's a cool show.
Old 12-06-2010, 22:03
OSW Member

I thought it was quite good. Things might have seemed rushed because it was a very short 6 Episode season.. At the time they did not know it was going to be renewed for a 2nd season..

Next Season is 13 episodes, and I can't wait!

I hope we see some additional footage for the Blu-ray release!
Old 12-07-2010, 00:34
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn92 View Post
I'm not into comics so I'd never heard of "Walking Dead" before the show. I've enjoyed the first season and since I have not read the comics I'm not looking for little details some of you guys are seeing.

I like it and I try not to read too much into it or think too much--I just think it's a cool show.
I second what Longhorn92 said except I have read the comics, but I still take it for what it is, a pretty cool show, anyway looking forward to the second season
Old 12-16-2010, 15:13
Requiescat In Pace

I'm with Longhorn, I just thought it was a cool show that did a fine job of tackling a great comic with dcent production values.

It gave me something to look forward to on Friday nights for six weeks, can't ask for much mor than that.

And one thing, some of the cinematography was superb.
Old 12-20-2010, 18:17
The Tash

I only take time out to catch Big Bang Theory, Peepshow and this.....I really looked forward to Friday nights on FX.....roll on season two !

Rambures, Henry V by William Shakespeare
Old 12-20-2010, 23:22
(formerly DYE-GSG90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali6874 View Post
I only take time out to catch Big Bang Theory, Peepshow and this.....I really looked forward to Friday nights on FX.....roll on season two !
FX is amazing. Sons of Anarchy & Terriers!

On note of the thread, I'm disappointed that the producers only decided to run the series for a season of six episodes. I want more!!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:41
Resident 'NAM nut

Yahoo rated this a let down of 2010, saying it had poor character development and what not. Yahoo obviously doesnt know theres a comic lol

http://macvsog.yuku.com/directory
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds
Old 01-08-2011, 01:50
1:6 Junkie

There needed to be a few more episodes- episode 6 would have been a good "side" plot, but it wasn't a good way to end such a spectacular season (and why did it remind me of "Logan's Run"?) Where's the one-handed redneck? Where's the dude and his son from episode 1? Too many loose ends...

But still, if episode 6 counts as "weak" then this promises to be one of the best shows EVER
Old 01-10-2011, 11:43
Shutdown -h NOW

WD was great.

Prediction for next season:
- Relationship with Shane and Rick and wife is going to get ugly. Real ugly

and oh yeah, Zombies are real. I have a friend who goes to Haiti pretty regularly. Says they use them for hard labor. Said he barfed when he actually seen one for the first time. No sh*t.

So there it is.
Old 10-14-2011, 16:46
AKA "ChiliDoug"

Surprised this wasn't mentioned before, but the 2nd season premiere is this Sunday. Set your dvr's!

The Walking Dead – AMC
Old 10-14-2011, 16:56
Devils and Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraten View Post
Surprised this wasn't mentioned before, but the 2nd season premiere is this Sunday. Set your dvr's!

The Walking Dead – AMC
And check out the short 6 part "webisode". It leads up to something that was shown in episode 1....
The Walking Dead - The Walking Dead Webisodes 1, “A New Day” – AMC
Old 10-14-2011, 16:56
Best Pervert of All Time!

Yeah, I can't wait for some hardcore zombie action after re-watching the first season on Netflix. I hope they follow the comic book more strictly this time around.
Old 10-14-2011, 17:14
wave man TDY staff

AMC dumped the creator and skipper, Frank Darabont. That troubles me.
The network has put out some great stuff, but they unceremoniously dumped Rubicon, one of the best conspiracy stories done, without any closure.

BR is dead on (pun unintentional) about the webisode that he links above. Not to be missed. A beautiful bit of backstory, quite poignant.

-----
- Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -
Old 10-16-2011, 21:29
Companion

Just got finished watching it, it was great, very shocked by the ending. Didn't even see it or feel it coming.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:17
Major Rod

Thanks BR! Agree PD.

Watched episode 1, season 2, wasn't disappointed.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20

I think it was an excellent beginning of the new season.
The only thing that irks me out is the POS cars they keep using. You can pick any car you want, any RV, SUV, or full blown Offroader, and you drive a 30 Year old Winnebago and a 30 year old Ford (?) SUV.
Of course a AMG or Porsche or ZR1 makes no sense, but something modern seems like a better choice.
The only reason i see would be that a old engine might be easier to fix than a modern one. But a modern one seems less likely to need fixing in the first place.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25
OSW Member

From an avid collector of the comic series...you folks are in for a heck of a ride LOL!!!! The Winnabago is from the comics. It would make much more sense to begin to reinforce the windows, doors, and both bumpers with scrap metal ala Madmax. It's innteresting that the show gives the walker and geeks a bit of left-over humanity like M_____'s wife in the 1st season constantly coming to the front door of the house.

Paul F
Old 10-17-2011, 13:37
Major Rod

Its paradoxial to meld reality, common sense and rational thought when discussing Zombie scenarios. I have a tougher time of it than most I believe because of my background. You can't wish up resources in the Army and "coolness" isn't a criteria probably why I get so much blowback when I comment on a new release. Noen the less zombie preparedness planning is fun to do though.

Paladin - Being the owner of a 36' RV I can tell you they aren't all over the place nor would they be in a calamity like this. Mine's a 2000 Coachman built on a V10 Ford chassis. Keep in mind if you go diesel you have a more limited fuel and parts supply. Most RVs will be taken by their owners to where ever. Older vehicles are easier to find spare parts for let alone have a minimal need for special tools (most new cars require special tools to remove screws and bolts to minimize the work folks can do on their cars on their own). Just like weapons. The most popular callibers have a huge advantage because of ammo availability.

Then again knowing Germany's gun laws and urbanization you're thouroughly screwed.

BTW, folks. Loving the series. I'm 15 min from the front gate of Ft. Benning. RV, wpns, food/water stockpile, I'm thinking I'm sitting pretty. Now what to do with the 3 dogs and 3 cats and the wife that prioritizes them over me? Now that's a sticky situation!
Old 10-17-2011, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
Its paradoxial to meld reality, common sense and rational thought when discussing Zombie scenarios. I have a tougher time of it than most I believe because of my background. You can't wish up resources in the Army and "coolness" isn't a criteria probably why I get so much blowback when I comment on a new release. Noen the less zombie preparedness planning is fun to do though.

Paladin - Being the owner of a 36' RV I can tell you they aren't all over the place nor would they be in a calamity like this. Mine's a 2000 Coachman built on a V10 Ford chassis. Keep in mind if you go diesel you have a more limited fuel and parts supply. Most RVs will be taken by their owners to where ever. Older vehicles are easier to find spare parts for let alone have a minimal need for special tools (most new cars require special tools to remove screws and bolts to minimize the work folks can do on their cars on their own). Just like weapons. The most popular callibers have a huge advantage because of ammo availability.

Then again knowing Germany's gun laws and urbanization you're thouroughly screwed.

BTW, folks. Loving the series. I'm 15 min from the front gate of Ft. Benning. RV, wpns, food/water stockpile, I'm thinking I'm sitting pretty. Now what to do with the 3 dogs and 3 cats and the wife that prioritizes them over me? Now that's a sticky situation!

True, there might be a cultural difference at work. Since Diesels are very very common cars here. In the states its still more of a big rig thing.

As to beeing screwed, it all has advantages and disadvantages, almost all buildings here are made from stone, there are barely any wood/plywood houses like you have in the US, so they stand up to alot more than wood houses do. (Windows/Doors are the same.

You should read "Day by Day Armageddon", i think you'd like it, it's a personal diary of a survivor during a zombie outbreak, it's written by a Navy Officer who's active duty, so it's definetly one of the more realistic ones, as far you can say that about a book involving zombies.

I'd write more but i have to head to work O:
Old 10-18-2011, 00:47
Major Rod

As for diesel the issue is fuel. With gas, an older RV will run on all three grades of gas we have here in the States. With diesel you have a much smaller pool as to who you can siphon from.

Considering you get about 12mi/20km gal in an RV plus or minus 3mi fuel's a concern if you are traveling or wanting to run the generator at all.
Old 10-18-2011, 20:53
Devils and Dust

To heck with an RV, I am going to get either a semi, up armored hummer, Stryker or MRAP. Diesel will be more available than gas anyway, as there is less need for it in general in the civvy world, so there will be more of it after everyone scrambles to buy/steal gas. There are benefits to working on one base, and living outside another that houses the largest concentration of troops and equipment in the world
Old 10-18-2011, 22:15
YES I Know My Team Sucks

How about going to the dept of transportation and picking up a snowplow-sanding truck, that way you could plow thought all of the cars on the freeway and all of the walkers that you come across. Another thing that I was wondering, how would you pass up on all of the military weapons that they have come across ?? The 50cal on the tank and the 50cal in the sand bag position on the corner of the street. Let alone why didn't he try to start up the tank ?? Just a few questions from last season. This season seems to be starting O.K. - One complaint - TOO MANY COMMERCIALS !!!!!

That is my 2cents worth !!
Craig