One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Main Discussion Forums > Loose Bits (Off Topic)

Loose Bits (Off Topic) For discussions without a home. Please no religion, current events or political rants.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 19:25
wave man TDY staff

Re: "Walking Dead" TV Series Debuts on AMC in October

Anyone seen COLIN? It's supposed to follow a guy who's bitten, dies, and becomes a zombie. Apparently low budget but seems to have some fans.

- Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -
Old 11-05-2010, 20:47
Devils and Dust

Looks interesting PD. I remember reading about this movie and its making. Done on a "shoe string" budget by a group of friends in England. link to trailer..

http://www.colinmovie.com/
Old 11-05-2010, 22:03
sits in a loose parts box

Quote:
Originally Posted by WritinMan View Post
Here is a good example of precisely how absurd it is to debate these things. In the novel, Dracula can move around in daylight (although he is weaker) and is ultimately killed by being stabbed through the heart with a Bowie knife. And that's from the man himself Bram Stoker.

So while we geeks will continue to debate these things because it's what we do--it's how we roll--we shouldn't get bogged down in these details. Just sit back and enjoy a good story. Remember, until the inevitable zombie apocalypse actually occurs, we don't know what they're gonna do.

But the debate is half the fun. I can debate and still enjoy both kind of movies as long they are well made.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:33
Requiescat In Pace

PD - Colin is okay, but it drags on way too long. It would have been a killer twenty minute short.
Old 11-06-2010, 17:35
AKA "ChiliDoug"

Quote:
Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
RFLMAO, besides getting bit what bodily fluids do you plan on sharing with a zombie?

OK, I'll give you splash effect from taking one down but past that? C'MON!!!

PD - I'd be interested in hearing the expert's case on how this virus would infect quicker than a more conventional one especially since it needs a very visible and painful physical contact. Heck, AIDs is less visible, has a less painful/destructive mode of transmission and was never a threat to humanity. Note that its growth has pretty much stabilized.

This may be the report, pd was talking about:

http://mysite.science.uottawa.ca/rsmith43/Zombies.pdf

An interesting, if a bit dry, read...
Old 11-07-2010, 15:50
Requiescat In Pace

That's the one.

The language in the summary paragraph is great, especially the last line:

"As seen in the movies, it is imperative that zombies are dealt with quickly, or else we are all in a great deal of trouble."
Old 11-12-2010, 02:16
OSW Member

The show has been really good so far. I hope they keep it up.
Old 11-12-2010, 13:45
Requiescat In Pace

Second season has been greenlighted, 13 episodes, very noice.
Old 11-20-2010, 00:37
Who loves ya baby!

have also really enjoyed the series and glad to hear there will be an s2
Old 11-21-2010, 16:38
The Tash

I'm loving this series...it's the only thing I make an effort to watch these days... but a zombie situation always seemed to me to be just a waiting game....once they all rot enough there'll not be any muscle holding the bones together and they'd all eventually just fall apart......just get some supplies and hold up somewhere safe for a month or two....

Rambures, Henry V by William Shakespeare
Old 11-21-2010, 21:50
OSW Member

I'm guessing whatever brings them back and walking perhaps slows the decaying process?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:14
YES I Know My Team Sucks

I was wondering why the main character isn't asking any questions ??? How did this happen ? When did this happen ? How long did it take ? Is the infection airborne, waterborne ? Is it local, state, regional, country wide outbreak ? Did this happen in other countries ? Do they not have gun stores in the south ? Everyone trying to get the bag of guns he left behind, I would be hitting every gun store I came across.

Just a couple of thoughts
Old 11-22-2010, 11:25
sits in a loose parts box

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhuke64 View Post
I was wondering why the main character isn't asking any questions ??? How did this happen ? When did this happen ? How long did it take ? Is the infection airborne, waterborne ? Is it local, state, regional, country wide outbreak ? Did this happen in other countries ? Do they not have gun stores in the south ? Everyone trying to get the bag of guns he left behind, I would be hitting every gun store I came across.

Just a couple of thoughts

The whole "Hit every gun store"-thing has been plenty discussed before, how many gun stores do you think there are, and how many people have the same exact idea, and how many people will be so nice and just take one firearm from the store and how many people would be willing to commit violence to get as much as they can in such a situation. Gunstores/Survival/Hunting-Stores would be the first to be completly looted. So a full bag of guns and ammo are pretty sought after.

As to why he doesn't ask more questions, I'd assume it was explained to him off-screen, since it really isn't a story about the zombie outbreak and more of the aftermath and the interaction between the characters.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:12
YES I Know My Team Sucks

Well I do not know about Germany - but here in the american west, there are places to purchase guns everywhere, I live in a town of 80.000 and I can think of at least 15 places with in a three mile area (Gun stores, pawn shops, big main store as Walmart, Fred Meyer, Bi Mart, two different big sporting goods stores, ect.) besides the city police, county sherrif's and state police offices and the army national guard armory just up the road. There are a lot of places to get your hands on some weapons and ammo.
If I was running from zombies - I would like to know if I could get away from them in a non affected area.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:26
Major Rod

Down here in the south we all have guns. That's why they had to have this scene in Atlanta, a big city where the police arrive in time to protect you (hehehe).

Where I live a zombie outbreak would last about as long as deer season.

Not to even mention the fact that we are outside the gates of Ft. Benning. At least 75% of the population here is retired military or has someone serving.

Once you throw any reality at the zombie genre it pretty much "eats itself".

Thoroughly enjoying the series though.

Last edited by major.rod; 11-22-2010 at 16:11.
Old 11-22-2010, 15:48
YES I Know My Team Sucks

major.rod,
It's the same here in the west, well the small towns anyway
Old 11-22-2010, 16:14
Major Rod

Yep, the big cities might have a tough time of it. You know reading rights and trying to arrest the zombies. The rest of America would pretty much handle it. I just chuckle at the articles about infection and taking over the world.

Last edited by major.rod; 11-22-2010 at 20:53.
Old 11-22-2010, 19:44
OSW Member

It's all nice to throw our logic at the problem since we are 3rd party viewers.. Sure we know that a shot to the head kills them, and if you get bit you are gonna turn..

It's a little bit different when your not sure what is happening, if a family member gets bit, it's not the usual reaction to shoot them in the head. is it??????
Old 11-22-2010, 19:52
Companion

[quote=major.rod;1546493]Down here in the south we all have guns. That's why they had to have this scene in Atlanta, a big city where the police arrive in time to protect you (hehehe).

Where I live a zombie outbreak would last about as long as deer season.

Not to even mention the fact that we are outside the gates of Ft. Benning. At least 75% of the population here is retired military or has someone serving.
quote]

Texas pretty much speaks for itself.

Old 11-22-2010, 19:57
OSW Member

We have guns and gun stores and the military here to in California, it doesn't mean I know or have the will to shoot my family members in the head if they come home with some weird bite does it?

The fact is they did not now that every dead person was getting up nor did they know that if bitten it was gonna happen to you..
Old 11-22-2010, 21:09
Major Rod

Von - Dude, if you're family member was one of the FIRST to get bit you'd have hope. After it was a recognized epidemic don't you think family membrs would tell each other two things:

1. Kill me before the zombies eat me.

2. Shoot me if I turn because I don't want to infect you

No doubt having a sick family member sucks. Being eaten alive is worse.
Old 11-22-2010, 21:29
OSW Member

If everyone just knew to whip out there guns and blow everyones head off it would have made an awful short series wouldnt it?
Old 11-22-2010, 22:17
Major Rod

true
Old 11-28-2010, 22:18
Action Fuger!

This really is a good show. They're really taking this in some interesting new directions that stray from the comic. I like the changes, though. It's nice to be surprised since I've read several issues of the comic.
Old 11-28-2010, 22:21
Major Rod

WM - Good to know. I stopped reading the Wikipedia article so it didn't spoil the surprise.
Old 11-28-2010, 23:59
Resident 'NAM nut

I like how they're going in a different direction with the series, yet also keeping key things from the story (Like Shane wanting to shoot Rick in the woods)

http://macvsog.yuku.com/directory
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds
Old 11-29-2010, 16:47
USMC Recruit

Im moving to texas so hopefull nothing happens till then lol Im currently defenceless.
Old 11-30-2010, 20:24
OSW Member

Walking Dead Writing Staff Let Go
Behind the scenes changes for Season 2.
November 30, 2010
by Eric Goldman

The Walking Dead has gotten terrific ratings for AMC and a quick renewal, as it heads into its season finale this weekend. But now comes word of a curious overhaul behind the scenes.

Deadline is reporting that executive producer Frank Darabont has let go of the show's entire writing staff, including his number 2, Charles H. Eglee (Dexter, The Shield). As Deadline notes, many shows have some writer changes in-between seasons, but it's unusual for such a major overhaul.

In addition, Deadline says they hear Darabont wants to go forward into Season 2 without a set writing staff, instead assigning all scripts he doesn't write himself to freelancers. Deadline points out that Darabont fully wrote two episodes of the first season (and co-wrote or re-wrote the others) and that two of the others were written by non-staff writers, including Walking Dead comic book creator Robert Kirkman. They also note that Darabont would be using the same model employed by Torchwood, which has several writers working on episodes for the upcoming re-launch on Starz (including Buffy's Jane Espenson), but no full time writing staff.

One hurdle for Darabont to do this however may come in the form of the Writer's Guild. Torchwood -- which just added another Buffy alum, Kelly Manners, as a producer -- is coproduced by the BBC, who got the okay from the Writer's Guild to continue with their UK template.
Old 12-05-2010, 21:20
OSW Member

pretty good 1st season... btw, did anyone see what looked like a DShK in the sandbag emplacement near the CDC in last week's episode?
Old 12-05-2010, 21:54
wave man TDY staff

I didn't catch what type heavy weapon was in that emplacement, but I think they're dealing with what is in stock/at the armourer's disposal. That Chieftain put in another apppearance, as a matter of fact I saw it again when I re-watched Zombieland last weekend. Machineguns and submachineguns are regularly modified to look like something else so often, that demand may outstrip the time to get the proper "vismod" in place. How many times have directors or their assistants told weapons advisors "I don't care, just give them a big machinegun..", when the putting in the right piece would have delayed some precious shooting schedule?

Not saying much to avoid a spoiler, but while some wiggle room is fine in scifi/horror, the final season episode finale seems like it ignores the laws of physics a bit too much. They should avoid that, as they've done some fine work on setting up the human interactions and responses.
- Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -