Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Walking Dead" TV Series Debuts on AMC in October - WARNING - Spoilers

Re: "Walking Dead" TV Series Debuts on AMC in October

I liked survival of the dead...

http://macvsog.yuku.com/directory
    28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds

can't wait to watch this. love the comic.

When does it start?
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi
    Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten

halloween night @ 10/9c i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Land of the Dead was good in my opinion, not great, but interesting to watch, i liked the concept of the city under siege, the rebuilt society and the marauders/gatherers who went into the overrun cities. It had alot good ideas really.
    Damn right. I actually really liked Land of the Dead, as it felt like it belonged in the Romero universe of Night, Dawn and Day, and it had that convincing world gone to sh*t feel that he does so well.

Diary and Survival of the Dead broke my heart though, and I try to forget that they exist. Survival makes as much sense as a dog's dream.
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

Pilot has been leaked. Pilot has been awesome.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

What? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Rifles View Post
    What? Where?
    Probably Germany. Like so many cold war agencies, the old Stasi turned to other activities after unification. They now specialize in video piracy.....
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Pilot has been awesome indeed!!!! I'm loving it! Thanks for the tip.

Ker Than
    for National Geographic News
    Published October 27, 2010

In the zombie flicks 28 Days Later and I Am Legend, an unstoppable viral plague sweeps across humanity, transforming people into mindless monsters with cannibalistic tendencies.

Though dead humans can't come back to life, certain viruses can induce such aggressive, zombie-like behavior, scientists say in the new National Geographic Channel documentary The Truth Behind Zombies, premiering Saturday at 10 p.m. ET/PT. (National Geographic News is part of the National Geographic Society, which part-owns the National Geographic Channel.)

For instance, rabies—a viral disease that infects the central nervous system—can drive people to be violently mad, according to Samita Andreansky, a virologist at the University of Miami in Florida who also appears in the documentary.

Combine rabies with the ability of a flu virus to spread quickly through the air, and you might have the makings of a zombie apocalypse.

Rabies Virus Mutation Possible?

Unlike movie zombies, which become reanimated almost immediately after infection, the first signs a human has rabies—such as anxiety, confusion, hallucinations, and paralysis—don't typically appear for ten days to a year, as the virus incubates inside the body.

Once rabies sets in, though, it's fatal within a week if left untreated.

If the genetic code of the rabies virus experienced enough changes, or mutations, its incubation time could be reduced dramatically, scientists say.

Many viruses have naturally high mutation rates and constantly change as a means of evading or bypassing the defenses of their hosts.

There are various ways viral mutations can occur, for example through copying mistakes during gene replication or damage from ultraviolet light.

(Related: "New, Fast-Evolving Rabies Virus Found—and Spreading.")

"If a rabies virus can mutate fast enough, it could cause infection within an hour or a few hours. That's entirely plausible," Andreansky said.

Airborne Rabies Would Create "Rage Virus"

But for the rabies virus to trigger a zombie pandemic like in the movies, it would also have to be much more contagious.

Humans typically catch rabies after being bitten by an infected animal, usually a dog—and the infection usually stops there.

Thanks to pet vaccinations, people rarely contract rabies in the United States today, and even fewer people die from the disease. For example, in 2008 only two cases of human rabies infection were reported to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

(See pictures of infectious animals in National Geographic magazine.)

A faster mode of transmission would be through the air, which is how the influenza virus spreads.

"All rabies has to do is go airborne, and you have the rage virus" like in 28 Days Later, Max Mogk, head of the Zombie Research Society, says in the documentary. The international nonprofit is devoted to "raising the level of zombie scholarship in the Arts and Sciences," according to their website.

To be transmitted by air, rabies would have to "borrow" traits from another virus, such as influenza.

Different forms, or strains, of the same virus can swap pieces of genetic code through processes called reassortment or recombination, said Elankumaran Subbiah, a virologist at Virginia Tech who was not involved in the documentary.

But unrelated viruses simply do not hybridize in nature, Subbiah told National Geographic News.

Likewise, it's scientifically unheard of for two radically different viruses such as rabies and influenza to borrow traits, he said.

"They're too different. They cannot share genetic information. Viruses assemble only parts that belong to them, and they don't mix and match from different families."

(Take a quiz on infectious diseases.)

Engineered Zombie Virus Possible?

It's theoretically possible—though extremely difficult—to create a hybrid rabies-influenza virus using modern genetic-engineering techniques, the University of Miami's Andreansky said.

"Sure, I could imagine a scenario where you mix rabies with a flu virus to get airborne transmission, a measles virus to get personality changes, the encephalitis virus to cook your brain with fever"—and thus increase aggression even further—"and throw in the ebola virus to cause you to bleed from your guts. Combine all these things, and you'll [get] something like a zombie virus," she said.

"But [nature] doesn't allow all of these things to happen at the same time. ... You'd most likely get a dead virus."

Found this interesting. Good thing I wasn't there, as there would probably be additional headlines along the lines of.. "Man arrested for mass murder. Accused of shooting people in the head"

Zombies Invade NYC During Morning Rush Hour

Trying not to derail thread, but has anyone seen "dead set?"

Dead Set - Series - On Air - IFC.com

A Brit production that just made it over to the USA. Really a pretty cool 5 episode mini series. Worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by zebraten View Post
    Trying not to derail thread, but has anyone seen "dead set?"

Dead Set - Series - On Air - IFC.com

A Brit production that just made it over to the USA. Really a pretty cool 5 episode mini series. Worth a look.

I was just about to ask the same thing I found it yesterday, and downloaded the entire season. Was awake til about 0200 this morning watching it from start to finis. Sometimes insomnia has its good points I thought it was well done. Predictable, but a good watch none the less.

Holger just reminded me of another good recent zombie flic. I don't know how I didn't think of this for this thread and its turn to zombie flics in general, but I watched this one a couple weekends ago on my cable pay per view. It is in French tho, so for us non Francois speaking members, it is sub titles.

The Horde...
    The Horde (2009) - IMDb

Wow--that was really good. Looking forward to next week.

Heya, all!

Damn fine show! Really good characters, great acting, and well done special effects. Like WritinMan said, definately eager for the next episode.

It's zombierific!

Russ
    Proud son of Rose and Wes
    "Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence." General Jack D. Ripper

Just finished watching it
    great first show
    looking forward to next week
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi
    Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten

Dead Set is fantastic - it was broadcast over here in the run up to Halloween last year, really enjoyed it.
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

The Walking Dead show lived up to the comics so far!

I was going to miss it cause i can't stand that actor but i may just check it out now
    beers are on me.......your buying the whiskey

Really enjoyed the 1st episode ... it was def intense . SFX & acting was excellent , loonin forward to next week
    " I'm not a miracle worker ... just workin hoping for a miracle "
    My Gallery -http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/phot...00&ppuser=2580

I agree! It lived up to the comics! Looking forward to next Sundays episode 2!

Awesome first episode. I loved that they played zero commercials for the first half hour too. It really helped to pull you in. It appears they are going to be faithful to the source material... and hopefully when it deviates from the original story (as I've heard it will), they'll at least keep the "feel" of the story intact.

Seem to be a lot like 28 days later - But I still liked it !!!!

Comic book is good too. I've read it lightly at B&N when I had free time between classes. If you think this is crazy wait till you see the prison arc. Hope they don't tone it down for TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibagami Jubei View Post
    Hope they don't tone it down for TV.
    Based on what they've shown so far and judging by the warning they showed after EVERY commercial break...I have a feeling they're not toning much down.

Enjoyed it.

Didn't like the horse scene.

I really enjoy the whole zombie thing except for the excessive gore. The suspense kills me every time.

Have no desire to see a human torn apart and don't thonk too much gore will help the series. Time will tell.

One thing I don't buy about the Zombie genre is that the military is ineffective. A fence of razor wire and machine guns is a VERY effective obstacle.

BTW, did anyone determine the real tank that was mocked up to look like an M1?

Watched the leaked version, loved it. A lot of gore. Too much of it at times like major.rod said. Was really great, though.
    Poor Horse

The tank looked to me like a Challenger II, anyone else?
    "When I wake up in the morning and I turn that film on, it's like reading a book and it's exciting...I don't read books, but if I read books, it would be like reading a book." - Les Miles

Quote Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
    I really enjoy the whole zombie thing except for the excessive gore.
    Well it is a zombie movie. Mind you, the gore does get worse. I really hope they don't it tone it down.