One Sixth Warriors: Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion

Go Back   OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum > Front Page News

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40
1:6 Junkie

Original 12-Inch KISS Action Figures Make a Comeback

8- and 12-inch KISS Action Figures

KISS rocketed to stardom in the '70s with their explosive stage shows, memorable costumes and fan-pleasing line of merchandise, including their own comic book series and line of action figures. Now thanks to Figures Toy Company collectors can reignite their KISS rock 'n roll nostalgia with a "new" series of KISS action figures, reminiscent of the action figures first released in 1977-1978 by the Mego Toy Company.

Featuring rooted hair, cloth clothing, and 16 points of articulation, the KISS figures will be available for the first time in 8-inch scale, as well as a re-release of the original 12-inch size. Figures Toy Company CFO Anthony Balasco commented, "I never understood why 8 inch KISS action figures were not produced back in the 1970's when the Mego Toy Company had already released the 12 inch versions. Our first release will have the retro look from the 1970's, but future releases will cover all time periods in KISS's 40 year musical career from 1972 to 2012".

As a bonus, each 8-inch KISS figure will include a commemorative "Love Gun" mini 2x2 inch album cover while the 12-inch figures will pack an extra mini t-shirt - just like those worn by fans in the '70s.

Look for special exclusives and limited edition releases. Collectors will be able to find these at toy stores, comic shops, music stores and on-line retailers starting in March 2012. KISS fans can pre-order the figures now at FiguresToyCompany.com.

More images can be found HERE.

Bonus KISS Action Figure Accessories
Old 01-29-2012, 17:08
ever wearing flipflops

Re: Original 12-Inch KISS Action Figures Make a Comeback

These are pretty cool
Old 01-29-2012, 21:15
OSW Member

If they come with their instruments, that would just be too awesome!
Old 01-30-2012, 00:17
Mobilis in mobili

Awesome.

They remind me of the 'twisted toyfare theater' from Toyfare magazine. Good times
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49
Brand 74

I remember ,,, now this is really , dating myself,,, back in the early 80's There were small record Albums with record bubble gum in side from - "Chu-Bops". The 2X2 album covers remind me of that.

"What'd he say? Budda beep, budda bap, budda boop, budda beep"
Sonny Corleone.

Last edited by Jimster; 01-30-2012 at 11:03. Reason: rememberd a name.
Old 01-30-2012, 14:53
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello_vicious View Post
Awesome.

They remind me of the 'twisted toyfare theater' from Toyfare magazine. Good times
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw these too, lol.
Old 01-30-2012, 16:23
OSW Member

I missed out on these first time round , not this time !
AALLLRIIIGHTTT!!!!! OOOHHYEAHHHHH!!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 20:11
My heater's broke...

Very wise to re-release these too. Market is booming and these are pretty cheap to manufacture.
Old 01-30-2012, 23:20
OSW Member

Why couldn't they update them and make them look more detailed. It was nice to bring them back but update them with better sculpt and outfits. They look too cheesy too me. But sorry guys with Hot Toys, DID and Sideshow making great looking figure these Kiss figures would look out of place on my shelves. Look at Mattel they made retro Super Hero figures (great Idea) but what I hear is line is canceled. That is because they looked too cheesy and cheap looking. Mattel didn't want to spend any money making them for today's standards. Today's collectors are spoiled with toy companies making life like figures. I look at them as knock offs of a company the made cheap figures. And that was Mego.Dont get my wrong. I love Megos. I have about 150 of them in my collection. But that was 1970's and there wasn't much action figures then. Today is another world in collecting
Old 01-31-2012, 05:59
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjar View Post
Why couldn't they update them and make them look more detailed. It was nice to bring them back but update them with better sculpt and outfits. They look too cheesy too me. But sorry guys with Hot Toys, DID and Sideshow making great looking figure these Kiss figures would look out of place on my shelves. Look at Mattel they made retro Super Hero figures (great Idea) but what I hear is line is canceled. That is because they looked too cheesy and cheap looking. Mattel didn't want to spend any money making them for today's standards. Today's collectors are spoiled with toy companies making life like figures. I look at them as knock offs of a company the made cheap figures. And that was Mego.Dont get my wrong. I love Megos. I have about 150 of them in my collection. But that was 1970's and there wasn't much action figures then. Today is another world in collecting
I think the whole point is making them look like the originals to capture the "charm" and nostalgia of the era. I'm actually glad to see these so I don't have to pay eBay rates for the originals (which will probably be less than mint).

I think Mattel's line was cancelled because of a general lack of interest in the concept, not the quality. Also, if it was a case of compromising quality, why would Diamond Select have bothered producing never-before-made Star Trek characters in the retro style, rather than modern styling?

As for the instruments, if they're like the originals they'll have cardboard cut-out ones on the rear of the packaging!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:41
My heater's broke...

Now you got me thinking about what HT could do with KISS.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali032373 View Post
Now you got me thinking about what HT could do with KISS.
Medicom made two nice Kiss figures (Gene and Paul ) too bad they didn't make Ace and Peter. Wow if hot toys did them they would be amazing. These so called retro figures should be called what they really are knock offs. They don't have to spend much on research and development. Just take an old Kiss figure and copy it.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47
OSW Member

I think the market they are going for is the "retro" one . And a rather limited one at that . The Medicom figures were excellent , but being "high end" very expensive . I suspect the sales weren't as good as expected , hence the non-appearance of Ace/Tommy or Peter/Eric figures . I've been a Kiss fan since the 70's ( God I'm old !) , but to be honest these figures were out of my price range at the moment . This makes these " old school " figures an attractive proposition , as long as the price is affordable ! The release of these "retro " figures ( that includes super-heroes , Trek and the like ) , to me at least , is a great idea , but unfortunately to the current collector used to spending money on Hot Toys and the like , is not so much .
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35
1:6 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
I think the market they are going for is the "retro" one . And a rather limited one at that . The Medicom figures were excellent , but being "high end" very expensive . I suspect the sales weren't as good as expected , hence the non-appearance of Ace/Tommy or Peter/Eric figures . I've been a Kiss fan since the 70's ( God I'm old !) , but to be honest these figures were out of my price range at the moment . This makes these " old school " figures an attractive proposition , as long as the price is affordable ! The release of these "retro " figures ( that includes super-heroes , Trek and the like ) , to me at least , is a great idea , but unfortunately to the current collector used to spending money on Hot Toys and the like , is not so much .
Im a huge Kiss fan. But Gene always wants easy money... High ends figures will not bring it.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:55
OSW Member

"Gene wants easy money .......????" Whatever gives you THAT idea ?
Old 02-11-2012, 13:46
OSW Member

This is pretty cool. Especially for someone who actually had the originals, this must be a dream.
Old 02-11-2012, 19:34
OSW Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster View Post
I remember ,,, now this is really , dating myself,,, back in the early 80's There were small record Albums with record bubble gum in side from - "Chu-Bops". The 2X2 album covers remind me of
WOW! Throw me in the Way Way Back Machine and give it a spin why don't cha

I am all over the 12" figures. I had them when I was a kid and I shall have them AGAIN!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53
OSW Member

Two thumbs up! I'm all over this.

I had always wished that one of these companies like Hot Toys, Blitzway, or somebody with a new vision would make KISS figures in the 12 inch versions. Think about all the different possibilities like The Love Gun album cover, the Detroit Rock City album cover, even the Dressed to Kill cover where they all had those slick suits on. (yes I know Medicom did Gene and Paul and another knock off company did Eric Carr was it? but those didn't grab us, nor did Medicom follow up with Peter and Ace.

If someone like Hot Toys grabbed the license and hit us with 4 KISS figures from any album cover to start (Detroit Rock City album seems to be the "go to" KISS outfit for most) I would be one of many who would start this line. Hot Toys has made 18 different Iron Man figures, 13 various Batman figures and the list goes on....why not tackle the music industry since you have all of Hollywood covered already.

a man can dream right?
Old 04-24-2012, 22:03
OSW Member

Didya notice they're also planning figures from the debut album, Dressed to Kill and Sonic Boom?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:43
OSW Member

So, these are shipping now. Anyone got pics?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:01
OSW Member

Did anybody happen to ever see these or by chance pick them up? I'm wondering if they are still available or not?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:11
i believe in harvey dent

i want the 1/6 t-shirts ~ ha!

: D

wow, this is flash-back city.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02
Ichimo

Nice bunch of KISS figurines, even they got Gene Simmon's immeasurable tongue right. No more additional gadgets, such as musical instruments included is a bit lacking for such a complete package. other than that, i would like to place an order for all four bloodsuckers!

Sean Archer: Well, if you are Sean Archer, then I must be Castor Troy.